2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Sammi, and good luck to everyone! :luck::xf:

Any MO residents applying? Do they give preference to MO residents over other states (besides Kansas)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you from experience that they don't give MO residents preference in the slightest. :laugh: I seem to recall them rather friendly to Wyoming residents, however, but I could be making that up. I've tried to black out my application season as much as possible.

I can tell you from experience that they don't give MO residents preference in the slightest. :laugh: I seem to recall them rather friendly to Wyoming residents, however, but I could be making that up. I've tried to black out my application season as much as possible.

Damn. I think Kansas and Missouri have a sort of rivalry going on....

Rock chalk Jayhawk, KU! Yay, I'm so excited! I seriously considered just applying early decision here, but due to timing issues and the fact that I'm living abroad, it makes it impossible. I also can apply to 14 schools for free so I'm taking advantage of that. All that said, I LOVE KU and the school is definitely my top realistic choice. :love:

Rock chalk Jayhawk, KU! Yay, I'm so excited! I seriously considered just applying early decision here, but due to timing issues and the fact that I'm living abroad, it makes it impossible. I also can apply to 14 schools for free so I'm taking advantage of that. All that said, I LOVE KU and the school is definitely my top realistic choice. :love:

:hello: Hi kansaskid! Good luck to you this cycle! How is the living abroad thing going?

:hello: Hi kansaskid! Good luck to you this cycle! How is the living abroad thing going?

Thanks BWSTW! Things are going good. I'm ALMOST done with filling out AMCAS, but dragging my feet with the work and activities section. I'm spending the weekend at our regional workstation with the good internet to make sure it gets done. It's been hot around here, but luckily it's mango season so all is forgiven although the rainy season is just around the corner! How's Kansas life going for you? I miss it!

Yeah, I filled in all but my shadowing/most meaningful experiences and my ps. I will be spending tonight and tomorrow trying to finish it up. I am not submitting until late June, so I still have time to get it done, but I want to get it started so I can have someone review it.

Kansas life is good. Had some bad storms early this week, but thankfully nothing too bad; just lots of much needed rain.

at least a 29 MCAT and a 3.5 cumulative gpa

I can't find where I thought I saw 29, and I found 28 in the booklet I have, so it must still be a 28. I think I was confusing my goal with what I needed. My apologies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any KU residents applying EDP? How competitive do you have to be to get in that way?

I am applying EDP to KU this year (Kansas Resident). Excited to get started, yet nervous as well! I have a 3.54 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a 29 MCAT. I am currently working here as a Research Assistant, so hope that helps a little.

Does anyone know how they look at MCAT retakes? Combine highest sections, highest overall score or most recent?

Best of luck to everyone else applying!

if you're no longer a ks resident and you and your parents no longer live there, how are you supposed to show in the application that you have "strong ties" to the state? as far as i can see, the only place in the primary that will show this is where you went to high school...but can they even infer that much from just where your high school is located? is there an opportunity to explain your ties in the 2ndary?

.1. What experiences have led to your decision to become a physician?.
2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time..
. .

.. .3. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things..
.4. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge..
.5. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.

.6. Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell how you responded and what you learned from these experiences and how they have prepared you for your future in medicine..
.7. As a student, what is unique or special that you would bring to KU School of Medicine?.
.8. .If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

9. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.
. .

. 10. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

. .11. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

12. If you are no longer a full-time undergraduate student, briefly describe your current employment, community, and/or post-graduate educational activities.

13. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant academic experiences that strengthened your candidacy.

14. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant employment and personal experiences that strengthened your candidacy.

15. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

I am applying EDP to KU this year (Kansas Resident). Excited to get started, yet nervous as well! I have a 3.54 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA and a 29 MCAT. I am currently working here as a Research Assistant, so hope that helps a little.

Does anyone know how they look at MCAT retakes? Combine highest sections, highest overall score or most recent?

Best of luck to everyone else applying!

I talked to P.Crosby and he says that they combine the highest individual scores on all of your MCATs. One person on the selection committee, your presenter, will see all the individual scores. The other members will see just your band score, <24=C, 24-29=B, >29=A.

I think that your experience as Research assistant will definitely help, and along with your stats you should be pretty competitive.

.1. What experiences have led to your decision to become a physician?.
2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time..
. .

.. .3. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things..
.4. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge..
.5. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.

.6. Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell how you responded and what you learned from these experiences and how they have prepared you for your future in medicine..
.7. As a student, what is unique or special that you would bring to KU School of Medicine?.
.8. .If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

9. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.
. .

. 10. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

. .11. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

12. If you are no longer a full-time undergraduate student, briefly describe your current employment, community, and/or post-graduate educational activities.

13. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant academic experiences that strengthened your candidacy.

14. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant employment and personal experiences that strengthened your candidacy.

15. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

so do we have to answer all these questions?
i for instance, do not really have any major leadership experiences, i have not done much to make my community a better place, etc......

thank you BWSTW! that kind of looks like a loooong secondary though, haha. oh well it's worth it. was there a character limit for them?

also, i wanted to let everyone know that i've also heard the same thing about the mcat retakes (that they take the highest of each section no matter how many times you took the mcat). hadn't heard about the A, B, C designation before though. i heard this on sdn so it must be reliable, eh? ;)

i for instance, do not really have any major leadership experiences, i have not done much to make my community a better place, etc......

I'm pretty sure you have to answer all of them! Just fill them in to your best ability.

thank you BWSTW! that kind of looks like a loooong secondary though, haha. oh well it's worth it. was there a character limit for them?

I think I remember the character limit being 1000 or less.

I talked to P.Crosby and he says that they combine the highest individual scores on all of your MCATs. One person on the selection committee, your presenter, will see all the individual scores. The other members will see just your band score, <24=C, 24-29=B, >29=A.

I think that your experience as Research assistant will definitely help, and along with your stats you should be pretty competitive.

Thanks for the info! This is good news for me, puts me at the 30 mark (10,10,10). Its the first day of the application season and I am already anxious...gonna be a long road.

That secondary is a beast..not looking forward to it. Any other EDP applicants out there??

Yes unfortunately you should answer all the questions. I haven't done much to make my community a better place, but this is where I talked about my volunteering opportunities.

It's not too long if you are a first time applicant because you only have to answer like 10 of the questions, but it still kinda sucks.

I'm pretty sure you have to answer all of them! Just fill them in to your best ability.

I think I remember the character limit being 1000 or less.
Yes, it's a 1000 character max.

I also heard from a student who was part of the admissions/interviewing process and he also mentioned the A, B, C thing. I totally forgot about that until now!

Thanks for the info! This is good news for me, puts me at the 30 mark (10,10,10). Its the first day of the application season and I am already anxious...gonna be a long road.

That secondary is a beast..not looking forward to it. Any other EDP applicants out there??

I am pretty sure I am going to do EDP. I like KU and really want to stay in KC area.

I also heard from a student who was part of the admissions/interviewing process and he also mentioned the A, B, C thing. I totally forgot about that until now!

That A, B, C thing sort of bugs me. I have a 29 (B) so does that mean my MCAT is looked upon the same as someone with a 24-28? That doesn't seem fair :(
But I'm a whiner so whatever haha.

That A, B, C thing sort of bugs me. I have a 29 (B) so does that mean my MCAT is looked upon the same as someone with a 24-28? That doesn't seem fair :(

I read this as winner. :laugh: "Winning!"

I'm guessing it would matter more if you were applying EDP because they have a strict cutoff. They would either need to have the ability to see your score or have some other way of making sure you at least got a 28. This sort of makes me think that the interview selection committee can see your score, as well as your interview advocate, but the rest of the panel sees the ABC thing.

Anyone know this for sure?

I agree, this definitely does not seem fair.. They have to somehow seperate an applicant with a 24 vs someone with a 29, I would think anyway. But not sure why they would have the ABC system if they did.. Confusing.

Don't sweat it KansasKid, I am sure you will get in!

what are the residency placements here like? do most ppl match easily? is it pass/fail etc? what about OOS situation?

I apologize if I created some confusion with this mcat thing...was just passing along the message i got:)....i totally agree though with the above posts that it is not fair.

does anyone know if KU allows deferment for a year or so if they offer you an acceptance?

I apologize if I created some confusion with this mcat thing...was just passing along the message i got:)....i totally agree though with the above posts that it is not fair.

does anyone know if KU allows deferment for a year or so if they offer you an acceptance?

i'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that you can. Although I don't know if there have to be some extenuating circumstances or not in order to do it

Just submitted my EDP app... just waiting on aamcas to process my transcript. Good luck to everyone!!!

Good luck and congrats jmath!

I agree, this definitely does not seem fair.. They have to somehow seperate an applicant with a 24 vs someone with a 29, I would think anyway. But not sure why they would have the ABC system if they did.. Confusing.

Don't sweat it KansasKid, I am sure you will get in!

awww, thanks ICDAT :) Here's hoping!

Just submitted my EDP app... just waiting on aamcas to process my transcript. Good luck to everyone!!!

Good luck!!!:luck:

Good luck and congrats jmath!

And hey, BWSTW, have fun on vacation. Going anywhere totally awesome?

Good Luck! I am submitted and verified for EDP too... When do you think we will be getting the secondary??

Good Luck! I am submitted and verified for EDP too... When do you think we will be getting the secondary??

Ooh I'm super interested in following you guys. I was almost one of you. Sigh. You're gonna do great! :luck::luck:

Seems like July is the trend? And good luck to you too!

Which by the way, to everyone that did do EDP (which I don't think is many on here), did you have your transcripts processed by amcas fairly quick? I sent mine June 2nd and amcas still hasn't processed it... Just getting kinda worried since my application is still on hold because of it.

Seems like July is the trend? And good luck to you too!

Which by the way, to everyone that did do EDP (which I don't think is many on here), did you have your transcripts processed by amcas fairly quick? I sent mine June 2nd and amcas still hasn't processed it... Just getting kinda worried since my application is still on hold because of it.

I submitted mine saturday night and monday morning it was done.....

I did make a mistake of sending the transcripts that do not have the spring 2011 grades on it yet, and the AMCAS lady told me that they do not update their records after they receive the transcripts for the first time. So how an I supposed to get these grades on there then?
Is this a big deal?

Hey all,
First time posting on studentdocs! Though i've been reading around for a while. I'm applying ED to KU, got all of my app in to AMCAS now just the waiting game we are all playing! I'm a Kansas resident but go to school in ATL. Good luck to all!

Hey all,
First time posting on studentdocs! Though i've been reading around for a while. I'm applying ED to KU, got all of my app in to AMCAS now just the waiting game we are all playing! I'm a Kansas resident but go to school in ATL. Good luck to all!

Good luck!:luck:

I just got my official "processed" email! Here we go!

And hey, BWSTW, have fun on vacation. Going anywhere totally awesome?

sorry, I missed this! I went back to Montana (where I grew up) for my sister's wedding, then went over to visit my mom in North Dakota.

Do you guys know when to expect something from KU after the app has been "made available to selected medical schools" for ED? I wanna get this show on the rooooadd!

sorry, I missed this! I went back to Montana (where I grew up) for my sister's wedding, then went over to visit my mom in North Dakota.

Ooh fun. I've actually never been to either state! The closest I've gotten is Minnesota lol

Do you guys know when to expect something from KU after the app has been "made available to selected medical schools" for ED? I wanna get this show on the rooooadd!

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure EDP people started getting secondaries around the first of July last year...not sure about us RD folks. I'll head over and look. BRB.

It looks like the website was updated for the current cycle on the 26th of June last year...

The EDP secondary went out July 1st and I think it was the same for verified RD people? Can someone from last year confirm that? i can't really tell from last year's thread.

Well, I just submitted my app. :scared:

I forgot how long a wait it is to hear something though. :(

Well, I just submitted my app. :scared:

I forgot how long a wait it is to hear something though. :(

haha, congrats, BWSTW. now go relax. one of these days i'll be following suit...

I just got my log in for the Meds page/secondary. Anyone else?

On the pre-req list, have you just putting in the intro courses? Or all of the courses imported from the AMCAS app? Kinda confused since on the website it encourages students to take a variety of courses.

On the pre-req list, have you just putting in the intro courses? Or all of the courses imported from the AMCAS app? Kinda confused since on the website it encourages students to take a variety of courses.

I'm just putting in the courses that apply to each category.
Example:
Biology:
Biology I
Biology II
Genetics

Physics:
Physics I
Physics II

They will be able to see your additional courses under your primary app. They just want to make sure that you have taken all the required courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.