2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring it!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone post the prompts if they have received the regular application?
Much appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
On #3:
3. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things.

I am really struggling with this question...do they mean any kind of special interest or it should be medically related? And does the second part of the question relate to that interest or it is independent?

On #3:
3. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things.

I am really struggling with this question...do they mean any kind of special interest or it should be medically related? And does the second part of the question relate to that interest or it is independent?
Im confused too...

On #2, does anyone think its looked down upon to use an experience from high school? After I read the question, I thought of one particular example during my senior year.

That isn't to say i'm not using examples from my college experience, I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it.

On #2, does anyone think its looked down upon to use an experience from high school? After I read the question, I thought of one particular example during my senior year.

That isn't to say i'm not using examples from my college experience, I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it.

I used an experience from much earlier in my life. I think its ok.

Submitted !

Hello All!

EDP Applicant here, filling out the supplemental application now :) Interviewed last year, hope that this year is a charm!

Good Luck to ALL!!!

And to you as well!

Has everyone's primary app been verified already? I received my secondary app but I am still waiting to be verified.

Weird?

I have no idea what to put for why I selected Kansas City as my first choice. I'm not interested in primary care or rural medicine...so Salina and Wichita are out? That seems like a bad idea...
What is everyone else putting? There's more info on Salina and Wichita than there is for KC.

maybe put that you didn't want to limit your choices or that you wanted to experience a broad range of care?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe put that you didn't want to limit your choices or that you wanted to experience a broad range of care?

Thanks BWSTW! :luck: to you!

As for: If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

Do you think that a 25 on my first MCAT and a 30 on my second would fall under this category? I'm hoping no, because the explanation is just, I buckled down the second time.

Thanks BWSTW! :luck: to you!

As for: If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

Do you think that a 25 on my first MCAT and a 30 on my second would fall under this category? I'm hoping no, because the explanation is just, I buckled down the second time.

I'm debating this one too, and part of me feels that I don't really want to bring it up unless they do. I think that they have enough people that retake that they can figure that part out.

On #3:

You ever figure out which direction to go with this? I'm wondering if a hobby would be ok to talk about here. :confused:

You ever figure out which direction to go with this? I'm wondering if a hobby would be ok to talk about here. :confused:

I did a hobby. Used Music/instrument playing. Fit all parts of the question

I did a hobby. Used Music/instrument playing. Fit all parts of the question

cool. This is going to sound silly, but I thought about doing crocheting. :oops:

Just finished getting my secondary edited by a few people. Probably going to end up going home this weekend to get some opinions from a few more people before I submit.

Too bad I'm still waiting on one more freaking letter. I asked the letter writer back in Feburary if he would write one... gave him a notebook chock full of my stuff (CV, PS, academic summary, etc.). I get an email two days ago saying that he needs the same items again in an email. For some reason I feel like he forgot who I was... T_T

cool. This is going to sound silly, but I thought about doing crocheting. :oops:

If its a legit hobby, I think it's fine. I treated this as: are you a mindless pre-med zombie, or do you have a heart? It's a nice chance to shine if you can show you're passionate. :)
:luck:

What did you guys put for the "good fit" question. I know I want to be in KC, but exactly are they looking for in this question?

What did you guys put for the "good fit" question. I know I want to be in KC, but exactly are they looking for in this question?

I put no preference. And explained why I would like to be at each campus.

I also want to be in KC, so I talked about the more urban environment and the wider diversity of patient types.

To echo jbmarks, I stated the fact of working with clinics in the area such as jaydoc. In an urban population you have access to types of patients you wouldn't find at the other campuses.

To echo jbmarks, I stated the fact of working with clinics in the area such as jaydoc. In an urban population you have access to types of patients you wouldn't find at the other campuses.

fyi, there is a JayDoc that's in wichita. however, i'm told that it's a little different from the one that's here in KC.

After the supplemental app is submitted and KU receives it, is that all there is until the interview invite/decline? Or is there another status we should receive?

After the supplemental app is submitted and KU receives it, is that all there is until the interview invite/decline? Or is there another status we should receive?

check the page to see if they got all the materials. They recieved my payment today

I'm submitting today! Finally! Yay I'm so excited and nervous! I have to tell them when I'll be back in the states for interviews...and it's sort of early: October 1 until November 7. I hope they are receptive to that! Eek!

I'm submitting today! Finally! Yay I'm so excited and nervous! I have to tell them when I'll be back in the states for interviews...and it's sort of early: October 1 until November 7. I hope they are receptive to that! Eek!

Dooble Post? Haha, congrats. I looked and saw we are applying to some of the same schools. Good luck

Dooble Post? Haha, congrats. I looked and saw we are applying to some of the same schools. Good luck

right back at ya! i've been having some internet issues here in west africa and haven't been able to submit as early as i'd like...but c'est la vie en afrique, quoi. good luck to you, too, dude!:luck:

Merci.

Bonne chance on the rest of your stay there.

case in point...i can't submit today because the internet is cutting out. i'll try again tomorrow. sad day...but at least i'm saving african babies!

Yay!!!! :highfive:

Good luck to you!

Does anyone happen to know where I can find the stats for the incoming class? Like what the average MCAT score and stuff was?

What are you doing in Africa kansaskid? I've done some work in East Africa and really wanting to go back...

checked my status today, They finally have everything they need. They got my letters, my fee, and my supplemental. Time to wait

checked my status today, They finally have everything they need. They got my letters, my fee, and my supplemental. Time to wait

Awesome!

they have my secondary but I'm still waiting on my primary to get to them. :shrug:

Awesome!

they have my secondary but I'm still waiting on my primary to get to them. :shrug:

So wait how did you do the secondary then? They needed the primary to send you the loggin info

I have no clue!

They must have gotten it. their checklist on the supplemental website, is only for the items they have listed. So i dont think they put primary app.

Secondary submitted an hour ago...I still find myself re-reading my answers because I am second guessing/think I made stupid mistakes. This process is already dragging on.

I know its early, but when should we expect to hear about interview invites for EDP applicants?

They must have gotten it. their checklist on the supplemental website, is only for the items they have listed. So i dont think they put primary app.

AMCAS doesn't even show me as verified. I thought maybe when I first received the e-mail for the secondary AMCAS just hadn't updated my status, but when I submitted my secondary my meds page shows the secondary, but not the primary.

It's very strange. hmmm... maybe I'll get an ED interview... (holds breath)

Secondary submitted an hour ago...I still find myself re-reading my answers because I am second guessing/think I made stupid mistakes. This process is already dragging on.

I know its early, but when should we expect to hear about interview invites for EDP applicants?

They don't interview until Sept., so it will be in Aug.

Hopefully i have to wait till Janurary. Oh OOS...

I decided not to finish applying to KU. I love KC (lived there for 7 years), but I no longer have residency and KU informed me that I would not be allowed to re-establish residency after the first year. This leaves KU as my most expensive option... = eliminated.

GOOD LUCK to everyone applying! KC is a ton of fun! :luck::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.