2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late to this party, but I submitted for EDP a while ago. So here I am.

I'm surprised at the few OOS people who are applying. I was not aware that KU accepted enough OOS applicants to even make it worth trying over other schools. That's not to be disheartening; KU is just a state school, and state schools tend to stick to their own pretty closely, except for circumstances that would generally give the applicant a unique advantage (which could apply to ANY school).

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm just going off the application statistics from previous years (which I don't have handy at the moment, but can look at when I get off of work...)

KU wants their students to stay instate, so that is their biggest reasoning for the low oos acceptances. You have to have really strong ties if you are oos.

Love your name btw!

Members don't see this ad.

Love your name btw!

Believe it or not, it was a nickname given to me completely without regard to the fact that I live in Kansas. Oh well.

Believe it or not, it was a nickname given to me completely without regard to the fact that I live in Kansas. Oh well.

hmmmm, that is funny... and what did you do to earn said nickname?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmm, that is funny... and what did you do to earn said nickname?

That kind of info would compromise my ability to be anonymous here. I'll let you know on campus next year.

Or you could send me a pm :p... your secret is safe with me.

I'm surprised at the few OOS people who are applying. I was not aware that KU accepted enough OOS applicants to even make it worth trying over other schools. That's not to be disheartening; KU is just a state school, and state schools tend to stick to their own pretty closely, except for circumstances that would generally give the applicant a unique advantage (which could apply to ANY school).

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm just going off the application statistics from previous years (which I don't have handy at the moment, but can look at when I get off of work...)

They like state kid and URM

Hey guys, I have recently discovered this forum and figured that this would be a good first post. I'm currently applying to KU EDP and I am wrapping up my secondaries to submit later this week. I feel like a slacker, even though there is still time before the secondary deadline.

Anyways, good luck to everyone. You all seem like an interesting bunch!

Hey guys, I have recently discovered this forum and figured that this would be a good first post. I'm currently applying to KU EDP and I am wrapping up my secondaries to submit later this week. I feel like a slacker, even though there is still time before the secondary deadline.

:welcome: and good luck!

I was looking through MD Apps today, and got a little confused.

How is it that some 2011 applicants for KU have listed that they have applied to other schools? Some even show having been rejected from other schools.

When I applied EDP, the AMCAS prevented me from entering any further schools, which I believed was normal. I was also under the impression that early decision = early application, and that regular decision applications were not even processed until August 1st, when EDP applications were deadlined. If so, then either I screwed up and should have had more schools listed in addition to the EDP for KU, or I have bad information.

Are regular decision people allowed to submit their applications as early as EDP people, and already get decisions on their applications (IE, already rejected)? Or did I screw up somewhere, and am now officially only applying to one school, period? I genuinely do not want to have to explain that to an interview.

"Oh, well... I thought if I didn't get into KU, I might just die. Didn't seem like there was a point in living if I wasn't accepted here. No pressure, by the way..."

Well non EDP are able to submit their stuff asap. They just wont have a decision till later.

I was looking through MD Apps today, and got a little confused.

How is it that some 2011 applicants for KU have listed that they have applied to other schools? Some even show having been rejected from other schools.

When I applied EDP, the AMCAS prevented me from entering any further schools, which I believed was normal. I was also under the impression that early decision = early application, and that regular decision applications were not even processed until August 1st, when EDP applications were deadlined. If so, then either I screwed up and should have had more schools listed in addition to the EDP for KU, or I have bad information.

Are regular decision people allowed to submit their applications as early as EDP people, and already get decisions on their applications (IE, already rejected)? Or did I screw up somewhere, and am now officially only applying to one school, period? I genuinely do not want to have to explain that to an interview.

"Oh, well... I thought if I didn't get into KU, I might just die. Didn't seem like there was a point in living if I wasn't accepted here. No pressure, by the way..."
I believe you can only apply to one school if you do EDP. RD people can submit along with EDP, but they won't be looked at until after EDP interviews.

Is it required to send in the LOR confidentiality form? I used Interfolio, who sent to AMCAS, who uploaded to KU. All of my letters are confidential through Interfolio, but wasnt sure if I needed to send in this form as well. Did everyone else do this?

Thanks!

I believe you can only apply to one school if you do EDP. RD people can submit along with EDP, but they won't be looked at until after EDP interviews.

Understood. I was just mistaken about when the RD people could actually submit their applications.

Must suck to be rejected from a school before the early decision people even get interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it required to send in the LOR confidentiality form? I used Interfolio, who sent to AMCAS, who uploaded to KU. All of my letters are confidential through Interfolio, but wasnt sure if I needed to send in this form as well. Did everyone else do this?

Thanks!

Im not sure with interfolio. Maybe.

For me my pre med office had us use these sheets which waived our FERPA rights or w/e to our letters. So it took the place of that

Understood. I was just mistaken about when the RD people could actually submit their applications.

Must suck to be rejected from a school before the early decision people even get interviews...

Yeah, that would suck. :(

:welcome: and good luck!
I appreciate it!

Thanks!

I sent in the LOR confidentiality form even though I had signed something similar through my premedical committee. I figured that they can add it to my file just in case; better safe than sorry. :)

I was surprised too, actually. I definitely held off on applying to many state schools because I just assumed it would be too difficult. I'm really holding out for some kansas love!

Hi!!

Well non EDP are able to submit their stuff asap. They just wont have a decision till later.

yep

Yeah, that would suck. :(

I've already been rejected from Nebraska and Pritzker...don't know if it was before early people knew their status but I'd imagine it was. Man, it really sucks to have rejections so early in the game!

Thanks!

If you recall from the email you got from KU, there's two forms, one for your LOR writers, and one for you to fill out. When I called they told me that if your writers have already submitted their letters to AMCAS (in your case interfolio i would imagine), then you just need to sign the form stating that you'll waive your right to look at the LORs.

I've already been rejected from Nebraska and Pritzker...don't know if it was before early people knew their status but I'd imagine it was. Man, it really sucks to have rejections so early in the game!

:(

How are you?! Miss you are here!

If you recall from the email you got from KU, there's two forms, one for your LOR writers, and one for you to fill out. When I called they told me that if your writers have already submitted their letters to AMCAS (in your case interfolio i would imagine), then you just need to sign the form stating that you'll waive your right to look at the LORs.

I'm pretty sure my letter writers sent theirs via snail mail or the AMCAS internet submission system, so I'm assuming KU wouldn't need any more confirmation that I have no idea what was said.

I'm pretty sure my letter writers sent theirs via snail mail or the AMCAS internet submission system, so I'm assuming KU wouldn't need any more confirmation that I have no idea what was said.

Thanks.. I went ahead and submitted it anyway just incase. Would hate for my application to be affected over something as minor as this.

Thanks.. I went ahead and submitted it anyway just incase. Would hate for my application to be affected over something as minor as this.

What is this form? I signed something for my letters through my school but is there something else I should do? Where do i find it?

What is this form? I signed something for my letters through my school but is there something else I should do? Where do i find it?

It should be attached with your email that was sent with your secondary application link.

Just to clear everything up, I called the KU admissions office and asked them about the letter waivers today. I explained that all five of my letters were received by AMCAS before I even submitted the application.

The guy (Jason, I think) explained that the form was not necessary if the letters had already been submitted, and that the application would not be affected by lacking these forms. He said that I could choose to send the form in that waives my access to the letters, but that it was not required and shouldn't have any effect on the application.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to send in the form or not. One of my letter writers wanted me to edit the letter for grammar and spelling, and another wanted me to run through and verify some of the information with my own records. So since I have seen two of the letters already, I don't think it'd be a good idea to send in a form that gives the impression I'm completely ignorant as to the content.

:(

How are you?! Miss you are here!

I'm good! I just learned that I got an interview invite at Nebraska after I appealed the original rejection so I'm haaaapppy right now!

Hopefully I get some KU love soon :)

I'm good! I just learned that I got an interview invite at Nebraska after I appealed the original rejection so I'm haaaapppy right now!

:clap: Awesome!!! congrats!!

Hey guys,

I'm in the midst of my 2ndary for UKansas...does anyone have trouble answering the "faced /witnessed" discrimination question? I'm drawing a blank on this and I'm a minority (hehe).
Any idea on what to include in this question?

Hey guys,

I'm in the midst of my 2ndary for UKansas...does anyone have trouble answering the "faced /witnessed" discrimination question? I'm drawing a blank on this and I'm a minority (hehe).

Yeah I had a tough time with this one. I've never personally experienced or witnessed discrimination. I just talked about how I felt about discrimination but kept it very short since I didn't have anything with a big impact to talk about. I don't think that will hurt us though. I think it's just something they want to hear about if it has happened but won't penalize you if you've never experienced it.

:clap: Awesome!!! congrats!!

Hey guys,

Yeah I had a tough time with this one. I've never personally experienced or witnessed discrimination. I just talked about how I felt about discrimination but kept it very short since I didn't have anything with a big impact to talk about. I don't think that will hurt us though. I think it's just something they want to hear about if it has happened but won't penalize you if you've never experienced it.

I don't know, I think this is pretty important. Especially as a minority, you've almost certainly experienced some form of even subtle discrimination. White privilege is a very real thing and I think what they're looking for is that the applicant recognizes that and can be culturally sensitive in various situations and scenarios. WhatMD, think about anything in your past that suggested discrimination and then expand on that and talk about how seeing that has impacted you. If you legit cannot think of anything, go with Brazen's take, but definitely make sure you talk about the social justice issues of this stuff and how it will impact you as a physician. Especially for white applicants, this question should not be taken lightly!

Congratulations! I hope there is still a chance for me if I don't get into KU early decision; it won't be until the first of October before I can even submit primaries to other schools.

Hey guys,

This one took me a bit to think of... I eventually used an anecdote related to my volunteer experience in east Africa. Looking back, I should have probably used a domestic example... If it helps, I think that the question can be answered with discrimination related to gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc if that brings up any ideas for you.

Thanks for the input guys. This 2ndary is a pain in the neck.....the longest one so far for me.
Hopefully, its all worth it in the end.

Congratulations! I hope there is still a chance for me if I don't get into KU early decision; it won't be until the first of October before I can even submit primaries to other schools.

This one took me a bit to think of... I eventually used an anecdote related to my volunteer experience in east Africa. Looking back, I should have probably used a domestic example... If it helps, I think that the question can be answered with discrimination related to gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc if that brings up any ideas for you.

I also talked about my experiences facing discrimination as a white woman working in development in Africa. I think if your most appropriate experience are abroad, it's fine to talk about, as long as you can relate it back to being socially conscious domestically and in your work as a med student and a physician. And I totally agree that gender, religion, and sexual orientation also make good options. I was hesitant to use my sexuality but that's just me; I don't want to give anyone a reason to discriminate and that one is still pretty touch and go these days.

Thanks for the input guys. This 2ndary is a pain in the neck.....the longest one so far for me.
Hopefully, its all worth it in the end.

So true. Definitely the longest one I did. And yet the most important! KU give us looooove :D

I was hoping some current KU-SOM students gave us their opinions on the student life, networking, curriculum, etc... I guess they must be studying hardcore... :p

I also talked about my experiences facing discrimination as a white woman working in development in Africa. I think if your most appropriate experience are abroad, it's fine to talk about, as long as you can relate it back to being socially conscious domestically and in your work as a med student and a physician. And I totally agree that gender, religion, and sexual orientation also make good options. I was hesitant to use my sexuality but that's just me; I don't want to give anyone a reason to discriminate and that one is still pretty touch and go these days.

So true. Definitely the longest one I did. And yet the most important! KU give us looooove :D
:thumbup: :xf:

hi all!

does anybody know if the character limit is with or without spaces?

thank you!

I would assume with spaces.

Also -- For those OOS students who have submitted the secondary, how long did it take KU to record that your fee was received?

Also -- For those OOS students who have submitted the secondary, how long did it take KU to record that your fee was received?

about 1-2 weeks

thanks!

My undergrad gpa was a 2.6, which was 10 years ago. I went back to school 2 years ago did all my pre-reqs and gpa was a 3.5. MCAT was a 27. i am retaking mcat in a week and am pretty sure i can get a 30. However, I will never get my cumulative gpa over a 3.25 with all the hours i have accumulated. I went to KU undergrad for 2 years and loved it(too much) which is why I had to leave. however, now i am considered oos. What do you think my chances are for admission? Thanks for your feedback!!

My undergrad gpa was a 2.6, which was 10 years ago. I went back to school 2 years ago did all my pre-reqs and gpa was a 3.5. MCAT was a 27. i am retaking mcat in a week and am pretty sure i can get a 30. However, I will never get my cumulative gpa over a 3.25 with all the hours i have accumulated. I went to KU undergrad for 2 years and loved it(too much) which is why I had to leave. however, now i am considered oos. What do you think my chances are for admission? Thanks for your feedback!!

I think this would be easier to answer if you could give more information. Did you leave KU and finish your degree elsewhere or did you completely stop undergraduate at the time? What is your current situation (where did you do those prereq's and when was the last time you lived in Kansas)? Did you grow up in or graduate high school in Kansas? Are you an under-represented minority?

You may be considered by the committee as an applicant with "strong Kansas ties" based on the answers to some of the above questions. If you are considered an OOS (no ties) applicant then it will be much more difficult.

The MSAR that I have access to shows the 10th percentile for accepted applicants at KU for GPA and MCAT scores as 3.34 and 24 respectively. You are already facing an uphill battle, even if you had a much higher GPA. You'll need to show the admissions committee that you have a vested interest in staying in Kansas. The other parts of your application (LORs, activities, life experiences, volunteer experiences, etc.) will likely need to be very amazing to give you a shot.

It is possible but like I said, you will be facing an uphill battle. I wish you the best and encourage you to use to resources on this website/forum to figure out what you want to do and where you want to apply. Don't become discouraged! There are many paths to take and I would love to hear more from you as you make your way through these processes.

I think this would be easier to answer if you could give more information. Did you leave KU and finish your degree elsewhere or did you completely stop undergraduate at the time? What is your current situation (where did you do those prereq's and when was the last time you lived in Kansas)? Did you grow up in or graduate high school in Kansas? Are you an under-represented minority?

You may be considered by the committee as an applicant with "strong Kansas ties" based on the answers to some of the above questions. If you are considered an OOS (no ties) applicant then it will be much more difficult.

The MSAR that I have access to shows the 10th percentile for accepted applicants at KU for GPA and MCAT scores as 3.34 and 24 respectively. You are already facing an uphill battle, even if you had a much higher GPA. You'll need to show the admissions committee that you have a vested interest in staying in Kansas. The other parts of your application (LORs, activities, life experiences, volunteer experiences, etc.) will likely need to be very amazing to give you a shot.

It is possible but like I said, you will be facing an uphill battle. I wish you the best and encourage you to use to resources on this website/forum to figure out what you want to do and where you want to apply. Don't become discouraged! There are many paths to take and I would love to hear more from you as you make your way through these processes.

I did go on to get my bachelor's in business from another university and I did all my pre req's in the last 2 years at Indiana Univ. I am considered a minority(hispanic) and speak english/spanish. I am hoping this helps give me a chance. I do have a good life story to tell and I am confident that I will get my mcat up from a 27 to a 30. Thanks for your input, i hope i get the chance to be a jayhawk again!! Mcat retake this thursday!! back to studying!!

I did go on to get my bachelor's in business from another university and I did all my pre req's in the last 2 years at Indiana Univ. I am considered a minority(hispanic) and speak english/spanish. I am hoping this helps give me a chance. I do have a good life story to tell and I am confident that I will get my mcat up from a 27 to a 30. Thanks for your input, i hope i get the chance to be a jayhawk again!! Mcat retake this thursday!! back to studying!!

Is this your first time applying?
Where did you grow up and/or graduate high school from?

Being a bilingual, underrepresented minority will certainly help, but you need to be able to show the admissions committee that you have a desire to serve in Kansas as well. Show them why you'd prefer being a jayhawk over being a hoosier.

I wish you the best of luck on your MCAT. I'm sure you will score a 30+ :)

Is this your first time applying?
Where did you grow up and/or graduate high school from?

Being a bilingual, underrepresented minority will certainly help, but you need to be able to show the admissions committee that you have a desire to serve in Kansas as well. Show them why you'd prefer being a jayhawk over being a hoosier.

I wish you the best of luck on your MCAT. I'm sure you will score a 30+ :)

I grew up in illinois and graduated highschool there and then went to KU. I have no problem showing them Id rather be a jayhawk because its the truth! Thanks for the encouragement. finally broke the 10 barrier in physical sciences in my practice test today!! bio and verbal are easy for me PS has been my thorn!

well i think i'm finally ready to submit this. is there a preview to this app before you submit it?

i just want to make sure b/c i'm copying from MS WORD b/c i cant' find Notetab on this mac I'm currently using and want to make sure there's no formatting issues.

I grew up in illinois and graduated highschool there and then went to KU. I have no problem showing them Id rather be a jayhawk because its the truth! Thanks for the encouragement. finally broke the 10 barrier in physical sciences in my practice test today!! bio and verbal are easy for me PS has been my thorn!

Good luck on your MCAT tomorrow!

well i think i'm finally ready to submit this. is there a preview to this app before you submit it?

i just want to make sure b/c i'm copying from MS WORD b/c i cant' find Notetab on this mac I'm currently using and want to make sure there's no formatting issues.

I honestly can't remember if there is a preview or not. But I would try this: http://www.editpad.org/ if no plain text editor is available on the computer you are using.

thanks cham! i haven't submitted yet but there is a preview function in the "finalize" tab. the only thing is that you can export the preview to pdf but the essays show up misaligned for some odd reason.

i'm actually considering applying md/phd here. anyone have any thoughts? I have very average stats (even for the md only) but i have 3 years of research experience.

thanks cham! i haven't submitted yet but there is a preview function in the "finalize" tab. the only thing is that you can export the preview to pdf but the essays show up misaligned for some odd reason.

i'm actually considering applying md/phd here. anyone have any thoughts? I have very average stats (even for the md only) but i have 3 years of research experience.

If you love research (and may want to work in research/development or in medical academia) I would recommend applying. You are supposed to be pursuing your passion, after all! They will probably weigh your research experiences (publications, letters from those you worked under, etc) more heavily than GPA I believe.

I would search this forum and other places online for more information. Also see: http://www.medadvising.ku.edu/medicine/medmdphd.shtml.

The reason I'm encouraging you to apply if you really believe you'd love it is that you can checkmark a box to be considered for the MD only program as well.

Does anyone know when EDP interview invites should be extended this year? It seems (according to last year's thread) that we can expect them to go out next week. This application process seems to be going by pretty quickly.

Does anyone know when EDP interview invites should be extended this year? It seems (according to last year's thread) that we can expect them to go out next week. This application process seems to be going by pretty quickly.

The way I understand it, they try to set the interview up 3-4 weeks prior, and since the deadline for EDP decisions in Oct 1st, that indicates interviews should be happening any time now. Next week seems reasonable, since that would get them started around mid-September.

The way I understand it, they try to set the interview up 3-4 weeks prior, and since the deadline for EDP decisions in Oct 1st, that indicates interviews should be happening any time now. Next week seems reasonable, since that would get them started around mid-September.

I'm starting to feel nervous. I'm glad I took the time to buy my first suit earlier this week just in case. It should be done with alterations by the first of September.

Status
Not open for further replies.