2011-2012 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and does anyone have any information on Google fiber and its deployment in Kansas City next year? That could be very cool indeed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting a little anxious, too. My wife is an M1 here, and she talks about how great it is all the time. It's enough to turn me green with envy. :laugh:

I'm getting a little anxious, too. My wife is an M1 here, and she talks about how great it is all the time. It's enough to turn me green with envy. :laugh:

Welcome to the thread :)

Are you applying EDP or regular decision to KU (if you are applying)? That would be awesome if you can attend the same school as your wife. I'm sure you'll have a lot to speak about come interview time as to why you feel KU is a good fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the thread :)

Are you applying EDP or regular decision to KU (if you are applying)? That would be awesome if you can attend the same school as your wife. I'm sure you'll have a lot to speak about come interview time as to why you feel KU is a good fit.
EDP at KU. It's kind of nice having "two shots" at the process. I'm doing my Masters at KCUMB this year, too.

Hope we hear something this week, but thinking it might not happen until early next week. Last year it looks like they sent out interview invites for EDP applicants on August 29th. Hope we all get invites!

EDP at KU. It's kind of nice having "two shots" at the process. I'm doing my Masters at KCUMB this year, too.

Good luck to you! :luck: I'm sure that master's program is going to make your application look great.

Hope we hear something this week, but thinking it might not happen until early next week. Last year it looks like they sent out interview invites for EDP applicants on August 29th. Hope we all get invites!

I was nervous enough when I was expecting to hear this week. At least with regular decision you have a bunch of interview invites that you are looking at... I feel like my life is currently on hold. If I do get an interview I know that the wait until 1 Oct is going to feel like an eternity.

I hope there are plenty of EDP invites to go around! I especially hope re-applicants get them because doing EDP for the second year shows a good amount of dedication. :)

I was nervous enough when I was expecting to hear this week. At least with regular decision you have a bunch of interview invites that you are looking at... I feel like my life is currently on hold. If I do get an interview I know that the wait until 1 Oct is going to feel like an eternity.

I hope there are plenty of EDP invites to go around! I especially hope re-applicants get them because doing EDP for the second year shows a good amount of dedication. :)

I think you are golden. Nice work on that MCAT, that is a beastly score. You are 11 points higher than KU's average, lol. If you don't get an ED interview, I think we might all be in trouble. Good luck to you!:luck:

I think you are golden. Nice work on that MCAT, that is a beastly score. You are 11 points higher than KU's average, lol. If you don't get an ED interview, I think we might all be in trouble. Good luck to you!:luck:

Thanks, but there are for sure no "shoo-in" applicants. I feel that it might have been better for me to apply broadly with regular decision (potential scholarships) but my heart lies with KU. I have some charitable obligations that I want to keep up with but med school costs will keep me from doing these for 4+ years :(.

Either way, EDP or not I am very grateful for the chance to even be considered.

And good luck to you as well! :luck::luck:

This is my second go around for applying EDP. I hope I get the EDP interview this year, last year I just got RD. Blah, hate the waiting.

Oh, and does anyone have any information on Google fiber and its deployment in Kansas City next year? That could be very cool indeed.

They said it should be up by the time we (if we get in) start school... pricing would be near the $50 dollar range.

I for one would be too excited for this.

I wonder how many ED applicants there are this year? Does anyone have any idea?

Also, what do you think is most important in the eyes of the ADCOM in determining who gets an EDP interview vs who gets pushed back to regular decision? I know this is a tough question to answer because none of us are members of the ADCOM, but just wanted to start a bit of a discussion..tired of waiting already!

They said it should be up by the time we (if we get in) start school... pricing would be near the $50 dollar range.

I for one would be too excited for this.

That would be amazing. I wonder how we could find out which neighborhoods/apartments would have access to the service first.

I wonder how many ED applicants there are this year? Does anyone have any idea?

Also, what do you think is most important in the eyes of the ADCOM in determining who gets an EDP interview vs who gets pushed back to regular decision? I know this is a tough question to answer because none of us are members of the ADCOM, but just wanted to start a bit of a discussion..tired of waiting already!

I bet it's a really tough process. Typically ADCOMs want to see that you're very interested in their school and state schools want to see an interest in serving in their respective states... EDP makes this tough because it's pretty apparent that any EDP applicant would attend the school (and limit themselves to that school) if given the opportunity. Fortunately it seems that KU looks at the applicant in a holistic manner instead of only sorting by the numbers (i.e. GPA, MCAT, etc).

Does anyone know if they go rank people for interviews, or go by the order of submission?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, hopefully I'll be seeing you guys sometime next fall. This is my 3rd application to KU- I've interviewed twice, and been waitlisted and rejected. I just finished my masters lab thesis, which helped out my GPA, and have all new letters of rec/volunteer opportunities.

Good luck everyone!

Hey there, hopefully I'll be seeing you guys sometime next fall. This is my 3rd application to KU- I've interviewed twice, and been waitlisted and rejected. I just finished my masters lab thesis, which helped out my GPA, and have all new letters of rec/volunteer opportunities.

Good luck everyone!
3rd time's the charm. :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

3rd time's the charm. :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

Thanks, its been a long few years. I really hope that my masters will help me out; we did the first year of medical school classes, and then our thesis. Plus I have a lot of clinical experience as well as shadowing.

I think the factor that worked against me last cycle was my lack of volunteer activities, although I have remedied that now that my thesis is finished.

Thanks, its been a long few years. I really hope that my masters will help me out; we did the first year of medical school classes, and then our thesis. Plus I have a lot of clinical experience as well as shadowing.

I think the factor that worked against me last cycle was my lack of volunteer activities, although I have remedied that now that my thesis is finished.

I have heard that KU really likes reapplicants and people who show determination and perserverance. I am already seeing how this process can wear on someone, so I am pulling for you Lysase! Three times of this, I give you mad props for your positive attitude and dedication. Best of Luck, hope to meet you at the interview or next fall!

I have heard that KU really likes reapplicants and people who show determination and perserverance. I am already seeing how this process can wear on someone, so I am pulling for you Lysase! Three times of this, I give you mad props for your positive attitude and dedication. Best of Luck, hope to meet you at the interview or next fall!

+1 :thumbup:

I've heard this, too. That and I've also heard it helps to be a skinny female.

No, I went regular. you?

Should be any day now! :xf::luck:

OMG I'm DYING here! I just spent two weeks teaching science in the tiniest African village imaginable and I get back to (relative) civilization to check my email, expecting SOMETHING...ANYTHING...from ANYONE and there was nothing...from any med school. COME ON KU, YOU'RE KILLING ME! Haha.

Last year it was Aug 29th when they sent out ED II

My motivation for checking my email now a days is solely an interview invite from KU... -_-

I'd like the Wichita campus, but I'd take any campus as long as I get in!
+1

OMG I'm DYING here! I just spent two weeks teaching science in the tiniest African village imaginable and I get back to (relative) civilization to check my email, expecting SOMETHING...ANYTHING...from ANYONE and there was nothing...from any med school. COME ON KU, YOU'RE KILLING ME! Haha.
If you don't get an interview, I will lose my faith in KU and every school you applied to.

My motivation for checking my email now a days is solely an interview invite from KU... -_-
I feel similarly. I hadn't even heard of SDN until I Google'd MCAT tips but now I feel like I'm becoming a clichéd neurotic pre-med. :oops:

I feel similarly. I hadn't even heard of SDN until I Google'd MCAT tips but now I feel like I'm becoming a clichéd neurotic pre-med. :oops:

Wow tell em about it, same here. This site is wierdly addicting... For some reason I feel like checking this forum will somehow lead me to find out some news about my application... :laugh:

Wow tell em about it, same here. This site is wierdly addicting... For some reason I feel like checking this forum will somehow lead me to find out some news about my application... :laugh:

I'm checking is solely to see when other people start announcing that they got an interview so I know when I can either expect an interview or expect not to get one.

Alright boys and girls, looks like this week is the week. Lets hope the statistics from last year are correct.

Alright boys and girls, looks like this week is the week. Lets hope the statistics from last year are correct.

By statistics, you mean the time that people started getting called?

Yeah, I'd expect this to be the week.

Everyone make sure you post here when you get the interview invite so we know when the game's started up...

By statistics, you mean the time that people started getting called?

Yeah, I'd expect this to be the week.

Everyone make sure you post here when you get the interview invite so we know when the game's started up...

I think the statistics that detail that a majority of those extended EDP interview invites are ultimately accepted. I've subscribed to this thread so I know as early as possible when invites start heading out.

I think the statistics that detail that a majority of those extended EDP interview invites are ultimately accepted. I've subscribed to this thread so I know as early as possible when invites start heading out.

I'm hoping by Wednesday afternoon...:xf:

WTF. I've been checking my inbox like mad today T_T

So shall it be on Tuesday or the 31st (Wednesday) this year?

Looks like this will be another fun-filled week :)

Is calling to ask when we should expect to hear something a bad idea?

It's now 4:02 p.m. C'mon already! This would be a GREAT birthday present. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.