2011-2012 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know for a fact that there's not gonna be a second look?

I just looked on their facebook group this morning actually, and saw something posted about a "Dean's Reception" so maybe that is something similar to a second look? I had called the admissions office a month ago to ask about a second look and at that time, I was told there would most likely not be a second look this year. However, it could be that the Dean's Reception is a second look...although it is on May 9th which is really close to the May 15th decision deadline so I'm not sure exactly.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know for a fact that there's not gonna be a second look?

I got an email today saying they are having a "mini revisit" day and a deans reception on May 9th. Sounds like a second look to me, although it is very late. It also said that more details were coming with regards to this mini revisit.

I got an email today saying they are having a "mini revisit" day and a deans reception on May 9th. Sounds like a second look to me, although it is very late. It also said that more details were coming with regards to this mini revisit.

Thanks- just got that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody comment on how generous, or otherwise, UMN-TC is with student need-based grants/scholarships?

I'm still waiting too.. I didn't interview until March 1, so I probably have a couple/few weeks to wait still I bet
Then we might be in different situations. I interviewed EONS before you did. I was wondering whether they have a latest date of decision disclosure?

I thought i remember hearing that you can hear back all the way up until the end of April. It took them 14-15 weeks to hear back in my case. Good luck!

Their website lists April 30th as an end date for offers...I think beyond that you're looking at acceptance off of the waitlist.

I ended-up getting accepted just recently & was absolutely thrilled to get the news. Came ~5 weeks after my interview date. I've got my fingers crossed for all of you who are still waiting & I'm very excited to meet my future classmates at the U of M this fall. Best wishes everyone!

Can anybody comment on how generous, or otherwise, UMN-TC is with student need-based grants/scholarships?

I can't comment on need based yet, because I haven't gotten that package yet, but I got a merit scholarship offer with my admission, which reduces my tuition to the in-state amount, even though I am from out of state. So based on my experience, they're already been pretty generous.

There has been some talk of the school having financial problems due to chasing famous faculty and giving them large salaries, but I don't think this will affect the students, because much of the merit and need-based aid comes from private scholarship funds endowed through alumni donations (there's a whopping list on the financial aid website.)

Speaking of financial aid, I am still waiting for my offer. Had anyone else gotten theirs? I think the financial side of things will be the real tiebreaker for me.

Does "transitional" mean "did not match?"

Er, I mean, when it comes to residency what does "transitional" mean? And is "deferring residency" a euphemism for "did not match"?

Er, I mean, when it comes to residency what does "transitional" mean? And is "deferring residency" a euphemism for "did not match"?
Not necessarily. Not everyone wants to start residency right out of medical school. I happen to be one of those people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when financial packages are suppose to go out?

Does anyone know when financial packages are suppose to go out?

They told me you could call the financial aid office as early as May 1st to get an estimate of your financial aid package.

They told me you could call the financial aid office as early as May 1st to get an estimate of your financial aid package.

They told me official financial aid packages go out in early JUNE, but you can call and get a reasonably good estimate of what you're going to get even now.

What are you planning to do instead, if you don't mind me asking?

Not necessarily. Not everyone wants to start residency right out of medical school. I happen to be one of those people.

What would you do instead, if you don't mind my asking.

I can't comment on need based yet, because I haven't gotten that package yet, but I got a merit scholarship offer with my admission, which reduces my tuition to the in-state amount, even though I am from out of state. So based on my experience, they're already been pretty generous.

There has been some talk of the school having financial problems due to chasing famous faculty and giving them large salaries, but I don't think this will affect the students, because much of the merit and need-based aid comes from private scholarship funds endowed through alumni donations (there's a whopping list on the financial aid website.)

Thank you for your insight! The only problem is that the other school I really wish to attend that is most likely going to be more expensive than UMN for me has a deadline of May 1st to hold multiple acceptances. I'm dead set on going there, but if the price difference is that major, and I can find out about my financial situation with UMN early enough, I may reconsider. Probably not though.

They told me official financial aid packages go out in early JUNE, but you can call and get a reasonably good estimate of what you're going to get even now.
Sweet, thanks. I figured I should probably find these things out before making a decision = / Will call asap.

What would you do instead, if you don't mind my asking.
I'm already a sorta non-trad and I'm just the kind of person who like to take "breaks" from my life to get in different experiences or perspective. I may take a year off between M2 and 3. I could do research, travel, write, move somewhere different and just exist. It really doesn't matter what I do as long as I'm not slaving away as an intern. Although passionate about medicine, I'm not in a hurry to become a doctor/practice. As long as I become a doctor sometime, I'll be happy. And as long as I'm not homeless or starving, I'm chill.

Anyone heard back from here lately?

This past friday 4/13 I got a letter in the mail saying I was on the waitlist, it happened exactly 7 weeks after my interview. Does anyone know any types of statistics about the U of M's waitlist or if they ever tell you your ranking/spot on the list?

This past friday 4/13 I got a letter in the mail saying I was on the waitlist, it happened exactly 7 weeks after my interview. Does anyone know any types of statistics about the U of M's waitlist or if they ever tell you your ranking/spot on the list?

I could be wrong, but I thought the waitlist is hard-ranked.

They will generate a ranked waitlist and they will tell you when you fall on that list from what I've been told from the admissions office.

I need help. The U's biggest selling point to me is that I'd be able to live with extended family, who really like me.

I recently scanned the sdn threads of the other places where I got in, and all the apartment-chatter made me sick to my stomach - ptsd from living with random roommates and "friends" during undergrad and time off, horrendous experiences living on my own and trying to navigate the apartment market. It pretty much ruined my undergrad and made me do worse in school that I would've otherwise.

Is this normal or at all legitimate, to be basing my med school decision around housing options? Should I just suck it up and hope it'll be different this time, and go to a comparable school in a different city if it's got a better rank (WashU) or because the visits to campus made me really happy (Wisconsin)?

PM's welcome. I honestly might just end up picking out of a hat if I don't get more input...

I need help. The U's biggest selling point to me is that I'd be able to live with extended family, who really like me.

I recently scanned the sdn threads of the other places where I got in, and all the apartment-chatter made me sick to my stomach - ptsd from living with random roommates and "friends" during undergrad and time off, horrendous experiences living on my own and trying to navigate the apartment market. It pretty much ruined my undergrad and made me do worse in school that I would've otherwise.

Is this normal or at all legitimate, to be basing my med school decision around housing options? Should I just suck it up and hope it'll be different this time, and go to a comparable school in a different city if it's got a better rank (WashU) or because the visits to campus made me really happy (Wisconsin)?

PM's welcome. I honestly might just end up picking out of a hat if I don't get more input...

PM'd you!

I'd recommend that you go to the school that you love and you can see yourself at as a student. There are loans available to medical students and if you think that living alone in a reasonably priced apartment is something that would boost your ability to study and perform well in school then that is money very well spent (as compared to living with horrible roommates who have led to a decrease in your academic performance)! Plus, if you consider the extra cost in the long run, it isn't going to be a big blow to your finances -- we're talking maybe a few thousand extra in loans per year -- something you can easily pay off when you are a practicing physician.

I'd recommend that you go to the school that you love and you can see yourself at as a student. There are loans available to medical students and if you think that living alone in a reasonably priced apartment is something that would boost your ability to study and perform well in school then that is money very well spent (as compared to living with horrible roommates who have led to a decrease in your academic performance)! Plus, if you consider the extra cost in the long run, it isn't going to be a big blow to your finances -- we're talking maybe a few thousand extra in loans per year -- something you can easily pay off when you are a practicing physician.

Do you typically secure these supplemental loans through your bank, or through the school? It's not as though bank loans would have an astronomically higher interest rate now that med school loans are at 6.8%

Do you typically secure these supplemental loans through your bank, or through the school? It's not as though bank loans would have an astronomically higher interest rate now that med school loans are at 6.8%

Go through the school whenever possible. The rates are important to look at, but the other important thing is when you need to start repayment. Some loans let you defer payment during times of economic hardship (for many people, this includes when you are a resident physician). Other loans (often times the private ones) do not allow that.

You know, your best bet might be to contact the financial aid offices of the schools you most want to go to and explain your predicament to them. They can make suggestions as to how you can attend their school & still make finances work and still have a desirable living situation. I'm sure there is a way! Good luck to you!

For everyone who wants to know, I just spoke with Lola at admissions and decision letters were sent out today to all those who were waitlisted. Here's hoping to a low number! Good luck everyone.

I'll be applying in this next cycle as a WI resident and was wondering how the whole reciprocity thing works with MN. Is there tuition reciprocity? MN doesn't accept many out-of-states (according to MSAR). Is there preference for WI residents? Would they consider a WI resident a MN resident for application purposes? Trying to get a gauge for how worthwhile it would be to apply here.

No the tuition reciprocity doesn't apply to medical school, and you would be considered a WI resident. I'm not even sure how much longer reciprocity will even last for undergrad.

For everyone who wants to know, I just spoke with Lola at admissions and decision letters were sent out today to all those who were waitlisted. Here's hoping to a low number! Good luck everyone.
Just got my letter - number 5 on the alternate list. Does anyone know from previous years how many alternates got in?

#5 means you're in. The numbers change from year to year off the waitlist, but in the past few years, they've been pretty consisent at going down about 40-50 spots. Congratulations!

Is there just one wait list or is there a separate one for IS and OOS people?

#5 means you're in. The numbers change from year to year off the waitlist, but in the past few years, they've been pretty consisent at going down about 40-50 spots. Congratulations!
I hope you are right I just got home from out of town this weekend and I received my letter also, spot 13. Hopefully lucky number 13!

Hey all, I'm looking for some specific insights from current students or accepted students who decided/are deciding to attend UMN over a "highly ranked" school. I was waitlisted (ranked very high on the alternate list), so I'm optimistic that I will potentially have the decision sometime in the coming months to either attend UMN or WashU. Please feel free to PM me, I'd love to hear what factors weighed in on your decision!

Congrats to any waitlisters. Looking forward to seeing you all in August :thumbup:

I'm going to need some good movement like last year to have a shot at getting in, high 60's on the waitlist. But they put 150ish on the waitlist each year so there has to be some years with pretty good movement right? Or do I have no shot? Just looking for some reassurance ha

Some changes on the alternate list Tuesdy, May 8th # 49 64 83 91 100 119 off the list

does anyone have an idea how high they went through the alternate list last year? I tried to figure it out via last year's thread but couldn't really tell... just curious. thank you! :)

Alternate list update Thursday, May 10th #'s 6 37 49 64 66 81 83 91 100 119 off the list.

Not coming here, sadly.

Moment of silence for the life of an Edina commuter student coming home to a home and a dog. Four more years of the transient student lifestyle. Moving to a new city. UGH-gain.

Idk, is a 20-minute commute (according to google maps) really all that bad in Minneapolis? would it really be 40 minutes in rush hour? Some of the commuter threads elsewhere on this forum scared me.

...I might just call them back and say "just kidding." I can do that, right?

Not coming here, sadly.

Moment of silence for the life of an Edina commuter student coming home to a home and a dog. Four more years of the transient student lifestyle. Moving to a new city. UGH-gain.

Idk, is a 20-minute commute (according to google maps) really all that bad in Minneapolis? would it really be 40 minutes in rush hour? Some of the commuter threads elsewhere on this forum scared me.

...I might just call them back and say "just kidding." I can do that, right?

From Edina your commute in rush hour would likely be 30-35 minutes and around 20 in non-rush hour. Commuting is hard in the sense that you already described-the length of commute BUT if you're living at home, you gain back some of that time because you have easy access to laundry/meals/quiet study areas, etc and don't have to spend as much time taking your clothes to a laundromat or paying for laundry or walking somewhere quiet to study or preparing your meals. It's a trade off and comes down to what's important to you. Where are you going instead of Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.