2011-2012 University of Missouri- Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas doesn't have the same policy, do they?

Nope. you'd think they'd return the favor, but oh well. There's a pretty strong resident preference in Kansas. I think it's something like 80% of KS resident applicants get an interview. I wonder how common it is for contiguous state residents to get an interview at Missouri? Is it similar to in-state averages? Hmm.

Would love to go here for sure. Let's hope my MCAT is conducive to that goal :)

I was not aware of this policy. Do they give some preference to adjacent states. I'm from Arkansas so this would be really good for me. Makes me wonder what other states do this.

I was not aware of this policy. Do they give some preference to adjacent states. I'm from Arkansas so this would be really good for me. Makes me wonder what other states do this.

Yep, Missouri treats 'contiguous states' similar to an in-state status, or at least it used to be. They recently updated the website and it seems less preferred than it did last year. They used to say if you had at least a 28 MCAT and 3.5 gpa from a contiguous state you would automatically be given a secondary, similar to an in-state resident. That seems to be a bit different this year:

"The University of Missouri School of Medicine is a state-supported public institution. Because of our responsibilities to the citizens of Missouri, overwhelming preference is given to those applications for admission submitted by legal residents of the state.

Residents of geographically-contiguous states (Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma) are encouraged to submit applications if they have particularly strong credentials.

Individuals residing in all other states are eligible for admission, but their applications are unlikely to be successful unless the admissions committee finds some compelling reason to make an exception. Examples of such compelling reasons include exceptionally strong academic credentials, strong ties to the state of Missouri, and/or personal characteristics, backgrounds and experiences adding uncommon and desirable diversity to an entering class. Applicants must be either US citizen or permanent resident."

http://medicine.missouri.edu/admissions/outofstate.php

Yep, Missouri treats 'contiguous states' similar to an in-state status, or at least it used to be. They recently updated the website and it seems less preferred than it did last year. They used to say if you had at least a 28 MCAT and 3.5 gpa from a contiguous state you would automatically be given a secondary, similar to an in-state resident. That seems to be a bit different this year:

"The University of Missouri School of Medicine is a state-supported public institution. Because of our responsibilities to the citizens of Missouri, overwhelming preference is given to those applications for admission submitted by legal residents of the state.

Residents of geographically-contiguous states (Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma) are encouraged to submit applications if they have particularly strong credentials.

Individuals residing in all other states are eligible for admission, but their applications are unlikely to be successful unless the admissions committee finds some compelling reason to make an exception. Examples of such compelling reasons include exceptionally strong academic credentials, strong ties to the state of Missouri, and/or personal characteristics, backgrounds and experiences adding uncommon and desirable diversity to an entering class. Applicants must be either US citizen or permanent resident."

http://medicine.missouri.edu/admissions/outofstate.php

Oh! I just saw this:
"Depending on whether the applicant is from a contiguous or non-contiguous state, there are different evaluation procedures for opening a file. For contiguous state applicants who meet the minimum MCAT and GPA requirements, a file is automatically opened. On the other hand, applicants from non-contiguous states and those who have an MCAT and/or GPA below the minimum are required to complete a questionnaire which gives the applicant an opportunity to address why the admissions committee should make an exception to Missouri resident preference. Completion of the questionnaire is required. The Associate Dean for Student Programs makes the final decision whether or not to open a file." bolding mine.

Apparently we're still considered an automatic secondary, but they don't actually state the minimum requirements anymore. Last year I read 28 and 3.5, but it might have changed.

I'm from MO and I'm applying to Arkansas too, so hopefully they do share some adjacent-state love.

did any of you OOSers get the OOS applicant email asking to respond why you should be considered as an OOS applicant? ties to state, exceptional academics, etc etc.

This seems counterintuitive since they visited my undergrad in california TO RECRUIT OOS students...

the recruiter specifically said they want more OOS applicants and this seems like they dont and/or are deterring OOSers..

Members don't see this ad :)
did any of you OOSers get the OOS applicant email asking to respond why you should be considered as an OOS applicant? ties to state, exceptional academics, etc etc.

This seems counterintuitive since they visited my undergrad in california TO RECRUIT OOS students...

the recruiter specifically said they want more OOS applicants and this seems like they dont and/or are deterring OOSers..

Yup, got same email

I didn't get that OOS email, but IIRC mizzou tends to take its OOS'ers more from the states bordering missouri. I had an interview last year and did not get that "why should we consider you" email (at least not yet...), and I'm from Illinois.

Anyone done the secondary yet? Are the prompts the same as last year?

Anyone done the secondary yet? Are the prompts the same as last year?

I think they're the same as last year...here they are:

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply.

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.

Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine? If yes, there's an essay required.

2000 characters max

I'm not sure if that's what they were last year or not.

This secondary is sort of annoying. You have to print out a 'mail in copy' and mail it into them with the $75 fee or a copy of the fee waiver approval. It's weird and I think unnecessarily complicated. Especially for me since I'm in Africa right now. Sigh.

Yeah, I had the same essays last year essentially. The first one seems to be a bit different this year about the school and what factors led you to apply. I was able to submit my secondary electronically however. Best of luck to you all!

I think they're the same as last year...here they are:

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply.

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.

Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Medicine? If yes, there's an essay required.

2000 characters max

Is that 2000 characters per question?

I applied early decision to MU and submitted my secondary last night. I will be mailing the form and check today :xf:

Anyone else apply early decision?

I applied early decision to MU and submitted my secondary last night. I will be mailing the form and check today :xf:

Anyone else apply early decision?

I didn't have the mcat to apply ED :(

Bump for applying to MU.

Submitted secondary a 8/21, Missouri resident, non-trad with an MCAT a few points above MU's average and a GPA right on target.

Anyone know of other schools that DO offer preference for students of contiguous states? Being from MO is terrible b/c MU is the only 4-year public institution that gives preference. UMKC is a 6-year with little preference for 4 year students. WUSTL is, well, WUSTL. And SLU fails to live up to their namesake by taking about 75% OSS.

This is a top choice school for me. Mo resident submitted my primary a few days ago so i wont be hearing anything for awhile.

Yeah, I just mailed in the secondary fee, so I probably won't hear anything for a while. This is definitely a top choice for me.

As the application season gears up at MU, I just wanted to drop in (again!) and say "good luck!" Don't hesitate to drop a line and as long as it isn't really close to exams, I'll try and help. MU is a great program and I couldn't be happier. Again, good luck to all applying!

As the application season gears up at MU, I just wanted to drop in (again!) and say "good luck!" Don't hesitate to drop a line and as long as it isn't really close to exams, I'll try and help. MU is a great program and I couldn't be happier. Again, good luck to all applying!

What are your favorite parts of MU's program? How are its 3rd year rotations?

i looked at the MSAR and i thought oos students had a decent chance of getting in so i applied... then i go tthat why should we even consider you email for oos students. so my question is:

Should I even bother to finish the secondary?

I'm a NY student btw. The closest I have been to MO is Michigan =P

i looked at the MSAR and i thought oos students had a decent chance of getting in so i applied... then i go tthat why should we even consider you email for oos students. so my question is:

Should I even bother to finish the secondary?

I'm a NY student btw. The closest I have been to MO is Michigan =P

It is heavily in-state, but if you can make a compelling argument or have great numbers/extracurriculars I say go for it.

Does anyone know anything about the accreditation problems Mizzou was having? I am really interested about going here because of the in state cost, but the problems they seemed to be having make me kind of nervous about going here.

Does anyone know anything about the accreditation problems Mizzou was having? I am really interested about going here because of the in state cost, but the problems they seemed to be having make me kind of nervous about going here.

I didn't find anything about this, other than this article. So it was the specific residency program, not the medical school, that was under probation.

I received an interview invite earlier today! Very excited!

I didn't find anything about this, other than this article. So it was the specific residency program, not the medical school, that was under probation.

Ahhh. Okay thanks for looking that up! I know a doctor that went to SLU and he strongly discouraged me from going to Mizzou, (mentioned the accreditation thing) but I'm pretty sure he's just biased for SLU haha

It is heavily in-state, but if you can make a compelling argument or have great numbers/extracurriculars I say go for it.

Well I guess I could try to make an arguement for why I should be allowed me... My numbers aren't great. If anything seems subpar for medical students. I have a cGPA of 3.7 and sGPA of 3.5 MCAT 35. so nothing spectacular there...

Ahhh. Okay thanks for looking that up! I know a doctor that went to SLU and he strongly discouraged me from going to Mizzou, (mentioned the accreditation thing) but I'm pretty sure he's just biased for SLU haha

It probably is just bias :p

Well I guess I could try to make an arguement for why I should be allowed me... My numbers aren't great. If anything seems subpar for medical students. I have a cGPA of 3.7 and sGPA of 3.5 MCAT 35. so nothing spectacular there...

Great mcat! I would just make a compelling argument as to how you'll add diversity and why you want to go to MU (maybe mention PBL, that is a huge part of the curriculum and it kind of sets the school apart).

Interview Invite for October 4th. IS 3.9 31. Complete early August.

I am early decision and I have my interview this Tuesday.

Did not involve the medical school, just the residency program.

Second year student here, feel free to message me with any questions. Good luck to everyone.

Bump for applying to MU.

Submitted secondary a 8/21, Missouri resident, non-trad with an MCAT a few points above MU's average and a GPA right on target.

Anyone know of other schools that DO offer preference for students of contiguous states? Being from MO is terrible b/c MU is the only 4-year public institution that gives preference. UMKC is a 6-year with little preference for 4 year students. WUSTL is, well, WUSTL. And SLU fails to live up to their namesake by taking about 75% OSS.

Yep, and I've heard 40 of Mizzou's 104-ish seats are already reserved for a special college "foot in the door" program. Also, Mizzou typically accepts around 10 OOS students, so that leaves roughly 54 seats available for us "Missourians."

Intervie Invite today! I'll be there Oct. 31.
OOS (well, from IL) complete 8/16

Interview invite today! :soexcited:

In-state with a 33/3.7. Complete 8/23.

MU is a great school and one of my top picks.

Yep, and I've heard 40 of Mizzou's 104-ish seats are already reserved for a special college "foot in the door" program. Also, Mizzou typically accepts around 10 OOS students, so that leaves roughly 54 seats available for us "Missourians."
40 seems a bit high as compared to the current classes.

according to 11-12 MSAR, "special program" admits are @ 15, not sure what programs these even are

I also got the invite! I'm OOS (Kansas) 3.57/29 and I'll be there in the next couple weeks! Yay!

I hope I get an invite soon! I'm in-state, complete around the beginning of September.

By the way, MU has only 96 seats this year. I was told the grant they got from the state to increase class size wasn't extended. I don't know how many Bryant Scholars there are this year, that is the only foot in the door program that exists as far as I know.

By the way, MU has only 96 seats this year. I was told the grant they got from the state to increase class size wasn't extended. I don't know how many Bryant Scholars there are this year, that is the only foot in the door program that exists as far as I know.

It is my understanding that the school is still honoring its previous agreements with Conley Scholars. Because, as I understand it (and remember, that probably means it is wrong) the school stopped offering Conley positions last year, but still have to honor them all through those issued in 2009.

I can't comment on class size, but I would figure that a call to the OME would yield the information.

How goes interview season all?:luck:

40 seems a bit high as compared to the current classes.

You may be right about this, I don't know the exact numbers for a fact as it was regurgitated information. I really was only trying to make the point that there are few public school seats for as large of a state as Missouri is. I wish neighboring states were as friendly to Missouri residents as Mizzou is to the residents of neighboring states.

Status
Not open for further replies.