2011-2012 University of Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get a letter from Admissions and Student Affairs with your address but not your name?

Ok, sorted it out. Called them and they just had a mix up in the names but the letter was actually intended for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get a letter from Admissions and Student Affairs with your address but not your name?

What was the letter about, and how long from when you submitted until you got that letter?

Does anyone know when this secondary is supposed to come out?

Round 2!!! Gonna do it this time.

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I am applying to Nevada... a bit late though, but I was just wondering what their qualifications are for in-state residency. I've lived there since I was 13... went to high school there. But I went to college in Philadelphia. Ummmm. My mom lives in Portland but my dad is renting an apt in Vegas where he lives.

I heard there are 3 out of 5 things you have to fill before being considered in-state.

I've called admissions 10 times today. One answer, and she forwarded me somewhere who didn't answer. Same thing happened yesterday.

Can anyone help please?

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I am applying to Nevada... a bit late though, but I was just wondering what their qualifications are for in-state residency. I've lived there since I was 13... went to high school there. But I went to college in Philadelphia. Ummmm. My mom lives in Portland but my dad is renting an apt in Vegas where he lives.

I heard there are 3 out of 5 things you have to fill before being considered in-state.

I've called admissions 10 times today. One answer, and she forwarded me somewhere who didn't answer. Same thing happened yesterday.

Can anyone help please?

http://www.medicine.nevada.edu/dept/asa/prospective_applicants/adm_residency.htm

I believe that you only need to fullfill one of these requirements

By the way... has anyone received a secondary yet? My AMCAS has been complete for almost 2 months now and I still ahven't heard anything.

Thank you, I saw this actually. I'm just confused since I talked to a med school student there... and he said we have to fulfill 3 of 5.

Would I be considered a Nevada resident if I went to college in Philadelphia? I mean the past twelve months were spent mostly in college, but my primary residence was Vegas. Sorry... I feel stupid asking that. Thanks a lottt!!!

I just want to make sure I get at least an interview from them. Hehehe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh also if they ask for any paperwork to prove residency. Hehe. Like high school diplomas, lease agreements? Sorry I'm all over the place. New here. Hope to meet people though.

Thank you, I saw this actually. I'm just confused since I talked to a med school student there... and he said we have to fulfill 3 of 5.

Would I be considered a Nevada resident if I went to college in Philadelphia? I mean the past twelve months were spent mostly in college, but my primary residence was Vegas. Sorry... I feel stupid asking that. Thanks a lottt!!!

I just want to make sure I get at least an interview from them. Hehehe!

yes, you just to fullfill one of these requirements. I believe your friend is probably getting confused with another school (I think hawaii has a 3/5 policy)

Anyone know what the essays were for last year? I'd like to get started on them if there are any.

Anyone know what the essays were for last year? I'd like to get started on them if there are any.

On last year's thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=728370 nobody ever said what the essays were.

Post #6 says it is long, on paper, and needs to be mailed.
Post #16 says there are no essays at all unless you are non-trad or reapplicant.
The secondary appeared the day after labor day last year.
September 6th, 2011 maybe?

UNR people are a lot quieter on SDN than other schools.

Glad I took a look at this thread because I was starting to wonder why I hadn't received a secondary. Someone from admissions did contact me for course numbers though to judge what classes were upper division and lower division...Well hopefully it rolls in soon....And really no secondary unless you're a non-trad? Thats hard to believe!

For those wondering about the secondary:
1. Not really a secondary- there is one essay question. It is something along the lines of "If you are a re-applicant, what has changed since your last application?"
2. UNSOM sends them late, but simultaneously with interview invites (for in-state). At least that is how mine was last year, as well as 3 or so friends I talked to.

Any Idaho folks in here familiar with how successful Idaho applicants are at gaining acceptance?

Yeah, does anyone have more info on the late secondaries? I am a Montana resident, and I have received secondaries from all my schools except Nevada. I haven't received a rejection letter from them either. I submitted my primary in early June or something and it finished processing July 6th, so what is the hold up :) ?

So do they take a long time on secondaries because they send it with interview invitations?

I am a California resident from the eastern slope of the sierras (Truckee) and according to UNR's good neighbor policy, they accept students from this area.

Today, however, I got a letter saying that my application wouldn't be processed because I didn't mean the residency requirement. I called the admissions office, and apparently as of July, 2011, they rescinded their good neighbor policy so applicants from the eastern slope are no longer eligible.

I pointed out that their website had not been updated to reflect that, and she thanked me for that observation, and hung up.

Not sure how many other California students applied based on the good neighbor policy that is no longer in effect, but if you did, your application won't even be looked at.

I'm a little confused, I was looking at last year's thread and last yeatr the secondary went out on September 5th... What's taking so long? Has anyone recieved the secondary yet?

I'm a little confused, I was looking at last year's thread and last yeatr the secondary went out on September 5th... What's taking so long? Has anyone recieved the secondary yet?

I guess they are working with a new "electronic" application service this year and that is what is taking so long. They have sent some secondaries out but I think only to 'in-staters'

I guess they are working with a new "electronic" application service this year and that is what is taking so long. They have sent some secondaries out but I think only to 'in-staters'

Good to know. Thanks for thr update!

I can haz secondariez??? pleasseeeeee

Hey. I came to this forum three years ago looking for help and didn't find anyone from UNSOM here, which was kind of disappointing. So I'm here to try breaking that tradition. I'm currently a second year student, I'll do my best to answer your questions whatever they may be. Some things about me that may assist you in what questions to ask:

I went to both UNLV and UNR, about two years each.
I had undergrad research experience and a first author publication in a very big journal at my time at UNR (Junior/Senior years)
I had volunteer experience including doing an actual three month surgical rotation with a surgeon prior to entering medical school.
I've been through the early decision process.
I've been rejected from UNSOM, but clearly accepted later since I'm attending now.
I do know most of the faculty if not by reputation then personally.
I have a few friends in the faculty that have sat or are sitting on the admissions committee. I may hold a conversation about your interviewers if you ask through PM, I may not. It depends how well I know the person and what questions you ask. You should however also field these questions to your first year contact/tour guide.
I'm very familiar with the MD/PhD program though I'm not in it. I have several third and fourth year friends. I can field questions about what UNSOM is like for the various years, and the Reno/Vegas split, etc. I can tell you about the difficulty of the school, our board scores, what our residency matching generally looks like.

I may not have the answers to your questions.

The answers I do have to your questions will be very blunt and honest. I hate the sugar coating people do when it comes to medical school.

I have a path exam on Monday and my time is very valuable, so don't ask questions you can look up somewhere else.

readysetgo.

I am a California resident from the eastern slope of the sierras (Truckee) and according to UNR's good neighbor policy, they accept students from this area.

Today, however, I got a letter saying that my application wouldn't be processed because I didn't mean the residency requirement. I called the admissions office, and apparently as of July, 2011, they rescinded their good neighbor policy so applicants from the eastern slope are no longer eligible.

I pointed out that their website had not been updated to reflect that, and she thanked me for that observation, and hung up.

Not sure how many other California students applied based on the good neighbor policy that is no longer in effect, but if you did, your application won't even be looked at.

This isn't entirely true. The Ad Com right now does strongly favor in state applicants but they typically accept 3-5 out of state applicants. Though, from what I can tell, when they take an applicant from out of state its based on their qualifications, not on the programs in the past for California/Idaho/Wyoming residents or whatever that was. What they're looking for is EXTREMELY stellar applicants with strong ties to Nevada if you're trying to get in from outside Nevada.

For those wondering about the secondary:
1. Not really a secondary- there is one essay question. It is something along the lines of "If you are a re-applicant, what has changed since your last application?"
2. UNSOM sends them late, but simultaneously with interview invites (for in-state). At least that is how mine was last year, as well as 3 or so friends I talked to.

If you're worried about the secondary for UNSOM, don't be. It takes a very tiny amount of time to fill out. If you stare at it for more than a day you're doing it wrong.

This isn't entirely true. The Ad Com right now does strongly favor in state applicants but they typically accept 3-5 out of state applicants. Though, from what I can tell, when they take an applicant from out of state its based on their qualifications, not on the programs in the past for California/Idaho/Wyoming residents or whatever that was. What they're looking for is EXTREMELY stellar applicants with strong ties to Nevada if you're trying to get in from outside Nevada.

Do you know how the Idaho and Wyoming residents fare in the admissions process / how many they let in each year? I'm a verified ID resident currently.

Do you know how the Idaho and Wyoming residents fare in the admissions process / how many they let in each year? I'm a verified ID resident currently.

I personally have heard of 3 Montana residents currently attending UNSOM. Two from my school and one I worked with. Don't know any of them too well so I don't have too much insight other than that, but to me it seems like there must be a decent number given both that I've already learned about 3 and that there are three other WICHE states (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Alaska). Take this with a grain of salt though.

They're still taking students from Idaho, Wyoming, etc., just not from the eastern slope of the Sierra's in California anymore. It's a policy change that affects undergrad at UNR as well.

Thanks for the insight, just wish Idaho had its own medical school already so we wouldn't have to worry about getting 1 of 3 spots haha, oh well, guess I should be glad they give us spots at all!:bow:

YAY I just got my UNSOM secondary! It is an emailed PDF that needs to be re-emailed back. It says out of state application if that makes any difference. (Montana resident)

YAY I just got my UNSOM secondary! It is an emailed PDF that needs to be re-emailed back. It says out of state application if that makes any difference. (Montana resident)

I just recieved it as well

Idaho resident and received rejection letter today. Not too bummed since I only applied here because I had heard they accepted quite a few Idaho residents. Have since found out that isn't really the case so nothing lost!

Idaho resident and received rejection letter today. Not too bummed since I only applied here because I had heard they accepted quite a few Idaho residents. Have since found out that isn't really the case so nothing lost!

Awe sorry to hear that man...didn't know they pre-screened OOS secondary for us. Best of Luck to you.

When did you submit AMCAS? Wonder if everyone who was supposed to get secondary invite received it today because I'm also in Idaho

Last edited:
mannn. i'm IS. i haven't gotten anything... so discouraging.

When did you submit AMCAS? Wonder if everyone who was supposed to get secondary invite received it today because I'm also in Idaho

AMCAS was submitted late August (I'm behind) but all my LOR's didn't get submitted till the end of September. Good luck!

mannn. i'm IS. i haven't gotten anything... so discouraging.

Don't be Nevada has two different admissions proccesses and staff, those that work with IS applicants and those that work with OOS applicants. Cathy Four (the OOS lady) just happens to really be on top of it.

Questions:
1. What's your typical day-to-day schedule in years 1 and 2?
2. Can M3 and M4 be spent exclusively in LV or are there some rotations you have to do in Reno?
3. What research areas are available to UNSOM students?
4. What do UNSOM students typically do between M1 and M2? Are research fellowships available?
5. What's the UNR campus like (I'm from LV)?
6. How're the academics? Typically lecture-style? Difficulty?
7. Do you do anything "hands on" in M1/M2?
8. From what M3 and M4s may have told you, what level of responsibility are med students given on their rotations at UNSOM?

Thanks!

1. Year one class in the morning, labs in the afternoon. IPC and CPS (introduction to patient care and clinical problem solving) in the afternoons as well, but you're almost always 5 days a week. Exam almost every two weeks about a month in and doesn't stop until you finish in May with the exception of the Christmas break. Exams aren't crazy hard but it'll be a huge crash and burn for almost everyone at first while they adjust to the amount of material. In IPC the spring semester you're matched with a doctor in the community in either IM, Peds, OB/Gyn, or Family and you see patients, on your own if you're comfortable.

Year two, class Mon-Fri in the AM. Lab once a week, usually class monday afternoon, rarely class Friday afternoon, preceptor (IPC II) once a week. Obviously a lot more responsibility and the expectation that you absolutely can see patients on your own and do H&Ps as well as develop assessments and plans with a decent differential. Exams are once a month typically and you only have two real classes at a time, but the volume on each exam is horrifying. Year one you can get away with not studying every day if you're really bright, year two if you don't study every single day (2-3 hours outside of class minimum) you'll fail.

2. Its possible and usually accomodating that you can spend all of 3 and 4 in LV if you choose, but there is a chance that all of the available spots are taken and they send you back to Reno for a rotation or two. The only mandatory rotations however are in Las Vegas (Surgery and OB)

3. The basic sciences exclusively unless you take a year or more off between years 2 and 3, in which case we have pretty extensive partnerships with UC Davis and you can do an applied research masters and possibly a PhD if you're interested. There are a lot of high profile muscle research labs at Nevada, and a lot of cell physiology labs. There are some clinical research options in Las Vegas on your summer between 1-2.

4. About 1/3 of the class goes to Nicaragua for a community medicine trip where they do hands on medicine in remote places. A lot of crazy stuff happens on that trip like surgeries on kitchen tables and home births that students get to perform. They've got some stories.
Otherwise the rest of us either do research, summer preceptorships in specialities we're interested in, or take the summer off. The research doesn't have to be at UNSOM, there are tons of opportunities for 6-8-12 week study projects across the country that are available. The preceptorships can be in LV or Reno and accomodate almost every specialty and sub specialty. I was already established in a lab here so I did 6 weeks of research and then four weeks of a preceptorship in pediatric surgery (which was mind blowing).

5. UNLV's campus blows compared to UNRs, and the medical school just built us a huge new building strictly for year 1-2 education.

6. Nevada isn't a bottom of the rung school, and typically 3-10 of the sixty students match in places like Mayo or John Hopkin's from each class. You get into it what you put into it, I can't really explain it any better than that. As far as difficulty goes, if you took 2nd semester O-chem over the summer at UNLV with Bhowmik (or know someone who has and carries the horror stories) its like that x20. Or, put practically, imagine your the hardest class you've ever taken and pretend that was a high school AP class. The jump in difficulty you experienced from high school to your hardest class in college is about the jump in difficulty you get from college to medical school. A large part of that is volume, but a lot is also level of detail which is beyond anything you've ever done.
Some lectures are worth while, some aren't. I didn't go to class almost my entire second semester and got Bs. Studying from the text book works for me, but take that with a grain of salt. Some stuff is mandatory, a lot isn't. All of the gunners go to every class and have no lives though.

7. Yes, IPC is about as hands on as you can get as long as your interest isn't surgery or psych. In your summer you can get very, very hands on. I scrubbed in on every pediatric surgery the city of Reno had (since I was with the only pediatric surgeon in 300 miles) and when you've felt a two week old heart beat in your hand and cut out the lung of a four month old baby, you definitely know it doesn't get any better than that. That was year 1-2 summer. In year 2, in my family preceptorship, I see about 6-12 patients each week. We also have the SOC (student outreach clinic) which is run entirely by students and mediated very lightly by doctors. We do everything there and serve patients who have no insurance, 3-4 times a month.

8. Depends on the rotation and the particular doctor. Some rotations (like peds in Reno) you spend the entire time at the hospital and you manage an entire wing, writing notes and giving orders, which are all double checked by the resident. In surgery obviously you'll scrub in and assist but you don't cut. I don't know of any rotations where you aren't actively seeing patients solo every single time before the doc or resident sees them though.

If there's any thing else or anything you'd like me to go into a little more detail on, let me know.

Sorry, I'll elaborate on 5. That was weak.

UNRs campus is much more comfortable and beautiful, largely because it isn't located on the slummy side of the strip. Due to the weather they get away with a lot more trees and such, and all of the old buildings have a really cool aged feel but with the exception of the chem lab which won't apply to you the insides are all pretty state of the art. I was impressed with some of UNLV's newer buildings but their old ones were complete garbage and that just isn't the same with UNR. Our library is about one step up nicer than UNLVs, and we just got a new student union that is at least equal to UNLVs if not a step up also. The football stadium being on campus is cool if you're into that. The weather is a brilliant change of pace from Vegas (I'm a native Hendersonian) and the first time you can go biking on some of the trails up here you may never want to leave. The close proximity to Tahoe also is a huge sell on the territory.

That said, you'll be spending 95% of your time in one single building: the class room and the study rooms right next to the class. But like I said, this year we JUST got a new building that is huge and completely state of the art with new anatomy labs, micro/path labs, and fully stocked examine rooms where we work with model patients. They're also integrating the nursing school into the medical programs practical application aspects so you get hands on work with the people you'll be working with for the rest of your life.

And lastly, but most importantly, whether you're a guy or a girl, the eye candy in Reno is a step up from Vegas. The girls are classier too. Just saying.

Have any Idaho applicants been invited to interview? I didn't get a letter in the mail yet saying no so I'm wondering about all the Idaho applicants out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.