2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone knew what the threshold was to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the waitlist will be tiered at any point? And if not does that indicate even slimmer chances than past years of getting of the waitlist?

I don't think that they are going to tier it this go round. If you are still interested in attending Penn, I would strongly suggest that you write a letter saying so - I assure you that they all get read as they come in. Be sure to mention that you are willing to relocate if you are from outside of the NE.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the threshold was to pass?

I believe it is 70 or 2 standard deviations below the mean - whichever is lower (I've never seen it below 70). You have to try very hard to get below a 70 and this should not factor into your decision about which school to attend.

What do you guys think about the on campus housing option? I think they offer a 2 bedroom apartment 1 bath and 1 kitchen for 880/month. I'm just thinking about living with non-medical students to broaden my horizons a little bit. Could current students chime in on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about the on campus housing option? I think they offer a 2 bedroom apartment 1 bath and 1 kitchen for 880/month. I'm just thinking about living with non-medical students to broaden my horizons a little bit. Could current students chime in on this?

Everyone I've mentioned this to has tried to (successfully) talk me out of this. Reasons include: overpriced, not very nice, very dormy feel (it's also undergrad overflow housing). It seems like people who have done this in the past don't last more than a year there and look for other options.

There are probably better avenues to broaden your horizon such as clubs, intramural sports, and other things you can get involved in.

That said, if you are overseas and can't check out places or find a roommate that will find a place for you, it might make sense.

Some general stuff on housing:

Center City West (Schuylkill River to Broad Street, Lombard to Market)

Best part of the city to live in for Penn students. It is close to all the bars, restaurants, stuff to do, but close enough to Penn to ride your bike or walk!. Rittenhouse Square is at the center, and this is the most expensive part of town, as you move further away things get cheaper. Another area closer to the river and closer to Penn is Fitler Square. You have plenty of small quaint restaurants, markets, etc. Beautiful brownstones and trees! You also have the Schuylkill River Trail which is awesome, well lit and ideal for joggers and bikers.

Most Wharton, law, med students, and residents live in this area.

Graduate Hospital (South to Washington, Schuylkill to Broad)

As more people moved to the city Rittenhouse area needed to expand, and moved south. This part of the city is up and coming. Houses here are either gutted and totally brand new, or maybe a little run down. It is really street dependent. If you find a nice street it's probably worth it. Going below South Street makes a big difference in price. Still close to all the good stuff, and it is very close to Penn through the South Avenue bridge. You also have the rest of the Schuylkill River Trail.

Center City East (Broad to Delaware River, Lombard to Market)

Very cool neighborhood, great houses, really cool streets. Unfortunately its a little far away from Penn. I do not think too many people from Penn live east of Broad.

South Philly (south of Washington)

Not many people live down here. Neighborhoods are hit or miss. However, lots of fun stuff to go do aka Italian market, mexican restaurants. Neighborhoods are more ethnic.

University City (West Philli)

Price is the main reason why people live here. I have found the housing a bit more run down, landlords may seem more neglectful. Mostly undergrads but a lot of other grad students also. You are living in the middle of campus.

Personally, I chose to live in Center City to get more of a "normal" city life (surrounded by non students ). University City felt too much like being in undergrad all over again and I did not want that.

Disclaimer: Sentinel contributed to this info!

Thanks NeuroKidd! This wait is nerve-racking I wish there was some way of knowing where we really stand on the waitlist.

When does waitlist movement typically begin?

The director of admissions has already been contacting a few students and discussing their interest in Penn - which may later translate into an offer of admissions. It appears that the waitlist movement will not be very significant at all.

The director of admissions has already been contacting a few students and discussing their interest in Penn - which may later translate into an offer of admissions. It appears that the waitlist movement will not be very significant at all.

sounds like a second interview, over the phone.

Don't lose hope everyone! I was accepted from the waitlist last week, on May 30th. I received an email from Ms. Sheffler on the 30th telling me that she would like to speak with me about my level of interest in Penn. When I called, after confirming my continued interest, she informed me that a spot was open in the class! She did say that they did not have to use the waitlist much at all this year. Still, don't lose hope- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone here on SDN will share the next good news!!!

Do any Penn med students get housing in the West Philly apts.? Like Axis, Chestnut Hall, Hamilton Court, Radian, etc.?

Do any Penn med students get housing in the West Philly apts.? Like Axis, Chestnut Hall, Hamilton Court, Radian, etc.?

Those properties are all west of 39th Street and some students live there. However, most people get housing in Center City (east of 25th Street and the Schuylkill river). Penn medical school buildings and hospital cover 34th to 36th Streets roughly.

And congrats! We are all getting the new ipads in the fall engraved with the med school logo and all!

Members don't see this ad :)

The Axis is actually on 36th Street, and I'm pretty sure that Drexel leases out a portion of the rooms for its undergraduates. The rooms seem quite small compared to other places, and the rent is pretty pricey. Chestnut Hall and Hamilton Court are both on 39th and Chestnut, where a lot of the UCity bars are. It's a hotspot for underage drinking and college partying. I think Chestnut Hall is a bit "classier" than Hamilton Court, and you'll find both undergraduates and graduate students there. I lived in Hamilton Court briefly with some Penn grad students and it was fine - the rooms were a good size and everything was included in the rent. It can get a bit noisy on the weekends, though (Thursday nights included). The Radian is on Walnut Street between 39th and 40th, and it is super convenient to the Fresh Grocer supermarket (open 24/7).

The walk from any of these places will not be too bad. It's ultimately up to you whether or not you want to live in University City or Center City. You can find some very cheap housing in University City if you go more north/south, just be careful that the area is not too sketchy. I know people that lived along Baltimore Ave and enjoyed it. Center City would be a longer commute but if you live along the Market-Frankford it's an easy subway ride. The trolleys are also an option. :)

And congrats! We are all getting the new ipads in the fall engraved with the med school logo and all!

That's awesome! So are the iPads ours to own, or are they technically property of the school?

Definitely ours to own!!

Will everything (i.e powerpoints, lectures, etc...) be on the ipads? I was also wondering if there would be a possibility to print out the course materials if we have a personal preference for hard copies?

Anybody live in The Chatham? Kinda old bldg but it's in a nice area.

Will everything (i.e powerpoints, lectures, etc...) be on the ipads? I was also wondering if there would be a possibility to print out the course materials if we have a personal preference for hard copies?

I think the class materials will all be on ipad. As I understand it they are currently just binders full of printed out notes at the moment. Part of the reason they converted is to supposedly save on some of those printing costs. I'd imagine there must be a way to print them out yourselves.

I think the class materials will all be on ipad. As I understand it they are currently just binders full of printed out notes at the moment. Part of the reason they converted is to supposedly save on some of those printing costs. I'd imagine there must be a way to print them out yourselves.

I have been using my own ipad this year and I have kept all lectures and course materials in there from the beginning. All you do is download the materials from the courses website at the end of each lecture. Other students have been using their laptops with the same purpose, but those who like paper are able to print everything out. You will see people in class with binders, ipads or laptops. We just had our last exam for the year today and someone took a picture next to the stack of his print outs...it was close to 4 feet high!!

Most students don't go to lectures (only about 60 or so do at any one time). Everything is online the minute the lecture ends. However, we do have labs and study group stuff that requires daily mandatory attendance.

Well, it has been an awesome year and I can not believe I am done. It is time to enjoy my last free summer before things get crazier! You guys will love Penn!

Anybody live in The Chatham? Kinda old bldg but it's in a nice area.

The Chatham is pretty nice. It has a great location (best neighborhood in Philadelphia). Hardwood floors, high ceiling, old world colonial charm, and 24 hour concierge. I have friend who lives there and have been in it. You are about 14 blocks from school.

Just out of curiosity, are all of your exams multiple choice?

Exams are mostly MC with some exceptions. For all of mod 2 and some of the mod 1 courses there are team portions of the exam which consist of mostly short answer with some occasional matching (oh yes, matching) and MC. The course that first years just finished also had an individual written portion. Exams also usually begin with an image portion, where ppt slides (histo/path slides or prominent physical exam findings) are projected up onto the auditorium screen, however these are also MC.

Not sure if waitlist movement is still going on, but if you really want to come to Penn it can't hurt to stay on the list and shoot another email the school's way! I reckon the chances of being accepted this late are slim, but stuff happens. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.