2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My faculty interviewer actually showed me my personal statement during the interview and there were these weird characters in it that weren't in the copy I got from AMCAS when my file was verified ... has this happened to anyone else? Makes me think I should re-send my PS to Penn ... but then again, I don't know if anyone is actually going to care (i.e. they may just realize there was some technical issue).

Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My faculty interviewer actually showed me my personal statement during the interview and there were these weird characters in it that weren't in the copy I got from AMCAS when my file was verified ... has this happened to anyone else? Makes me think I should re-send my PS to Penn ... but then again, I don't know if anyone is actually going to care (i.e. they may just realize there was some technical issue).

Any input would be much appreciated!
I've noticed that strange characters can show up when you paste into a text box. If it happened to you, I'm sure it also happened to a lot of other applicants. I would just leave it be :shrug:

Edit: I guess you wouldn't have copied and pasted your PS. I was thinking it was the secondary. Weird!

I've noticed that strange characters can show up when you paste into a text box. If it happened to you, I'm sure it also happened to a lot of other applicants. I would just leave it be :shrug:

Edit: I guess you wouldn't have copied and pasted your PS. I was thinking it was the secondary. Weird!

I know, right? He was really cool about it so I do not think I am going to worry ... they probably get a lot of things like this that happen and it seems that making an issue over it would be causing more harm than good. Other than that, UPenn was a wonderful day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the scholarship pool will be increased this year? I have an interview scheduled at Penn, but I'm currently holding an acceptance to my top choice (very happy!), and my job will make it very tricky to take more days off. My top choice is also significantly cheaper than Penn without any sort of scholarship. I know Penn offered something like 20 full tuition scholarships in the past, but any idea if that will go up in light of the 250 million donation last year?

There is supposed to be a 20% increase in financial aid, but how this affects scholarships I've no idea.

Hey, so I got the status of death about a week ago (I hadn't checked for an extremely long time before then, so it's possible I've had it for months) and I got an interview invite about 30 minutes ago. Hold out hope!

Don't lose hope! I just went from the status of "death" to an II :D

Does anyone know if interview invite is given out at NYU after they read your LOR's?

Does anyone know if the scholarship pool will be increased this year? I have an interview scheduled at Penn, but I'm currently holding an acceptance to my top choice (very happy!), and my job will make it very tricky to take more days off. My top choice is also significantly cheaper than Penn without any sort of scholarship. I know Penn offered something like 20 full tuition scholarships in the past, but any idea if that will go up in light of the 250 million donation last year?

FYI -The number of merit scholarships last year was 12, not 20.

Wow! Those are excellent news guys!! Good to keep track of that for future applicants! Are all your interviews in January? I was told that is the end of interviews...

the dates offered were from January 4th to January 18th or so.

absolute dream school for me ---

Could someone help me with travel info to Penn from the airport? Is there a public transit option? How long would it take and how much would it cost? Areas to avoid when exploring the city? Never been to Philly, only heard horror stories about a guy gotten beat up on the sidewalk and ending up in the ER.... Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Penn receptive to pre-interview update letters for significant activities like publications, etc.??

you can also take the liberty shuttle. it costs $10 each way.

I would send letters with updates. I did last year, and while I can't really say how much of a difference it makes, I think Penn is relatively receptive to updates.

Do you know what the preferred e-mail contact is?

Thanks!

You can just upload the letter of updates to the Penn account where you scheduled your interview. Click at the "Letters" tab at the top of the screen after you log in and then click "add new correspondence" and you can upload whatever letter you want (has to be in .pdf but you can paste the letter in the body of the correspondence as well).

You can just upload the letter of updates to the Penn account where you scheduled your interview. Click at the "Letters" tab at the top of the screen after you log in and then click "add new correspondence" and you can upload whatever letter you want (has to be in .pdf but you can paste the letter in the body of the correspondence as well).

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

you can also take the liberty shuttle. it costs $10 each way.

From the airport, take the SEPTA train towards Central Philadelphia and get off at the University City station.

I would send letters with updates. I did last year, and while I can't really say how much of a difference it makes, I think Penn is relatively receptive to updates.

Also I'd highly encourage everyone to come to happy hour and meet fellow applicants and current students the night before your interview!

Does anyone know when the school starts reviewing student applications for admission decisions? I understand that the decision will be mailed out sometime in March, but then there would be just too many files for them to review in such a short amount of time if they were to start in March, or even in February.

Does anyone know when the school starts reviewing student applications for admission decisions? I understand that the decision will be mailed out sometime in March, but then there would be just too many files for them to review in such a short amount of time if they were to start in March, or even in February.

I have been told that admission decisions are made shortly after you are interviewed. They use february to wrap things up for those interviewed mostly in january. March 15th, decisions are out (status page, followed by letter)

when are merit scholarships awarded? at the time of admission?

anyone know when the second look is this year, or is it not final yet?

I recently had a status change from "your application has been reviewed and we have decided to extend you an interview at this time" to this one.

Complete - Additional Application Update Your application continues to be reviewed but there is no change in your status. Reviews will continue.
ALL ADMISSIONS DECISIONS WILL BE ANNOUNCED BY MARCH 15.

How do I interpret this? Does this status mean anything or is it the same as the status of death?

Thanks!

I recently had a status change from "your application has been reviewed and we have decided to extend you an interview at this time" to this one.

Complete - Additional Application Update Your application continues to be reviewed but there is no change in your status. Reviews will continue.

How do I interpret this? Does this status mean anything or is it the same as the status of death?

Thanks!

I have the same update. I am guessing it means that we are still under consideration. Otherwise, they would've rejected us this time around.

How much movement goes on in Penn waitlist? does anyone have any idea? Also, if one's waitlisted, is he notified at the same time which waitlist tier he's in?

We've been using the waitlist more and more since we over-accepted back in '08. I can't give you solid numbers though, and it changes from year to year. I'm unaware of tiers on the waitlist being communicated to students. They are there though. Top tier waitlisters will be invited to the second look weekend, and it will be utterly important to go. Gaye will make many acceptance offers in your meeting during the weekend.

Thanks!

My roommate just got this on her status page. She was complete around mid October, I think? I was excited and hopeful for her, but she doesn't think it means much.

Haven't had any status change since I was marked complete and that my application was now under review...makes me wonder if my app got overlooked...sigh...any idea how many slots/dates left for interviews?

I believe Penn will have its last interviews next week.

Has anyone got rejection from here pre-interview or pretty much everyone has the "death status" ?

Has anyone got rejection from here pre-interview or pretty much everyone has the "death status" ?

As i mentioned in my previous post, mine still says:
"Your application is now in the screening process. Complete applications will go through a series of competitive screenings. Interviews will begin in September and continue into January, 2012. Applicants invited for interviews will be notified via email. The Committee on Admissions will make all final decisions in March, 2012."

...since August! *sadness*

"Your application is now in the screening process. Complete applications will go through a series of competitive screenings. Interviews will begin in September and continue into January, 2012. Applicants invited for interviews will be notified via email. The Committee on Admissions will make all final decisions in March, 2012."

Yes I was aware of that when I posted... I am curious to know if there are applicants who got rejected pre interview and without that status..

Anyone ?

I can't wait for March, but I wanna say that if I get into UPenn, I'm gonna throw a HUGE party. (As I'm sure most people will).

Interview last week :), I got offered dates between Feb 8th and 13th. OOS applicant complete mid September.

Interview last week :), I got offered dates between Feb 8th and 13th. OOS applicant complete mid September.
Wait, I thought Neurokid said the last interviews are next week?

Wait, I thought Neurokid said the last interviews are next week?
They may have added some. When I called to change my interview date in December, they said the last interview was January 20th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine still says this too. Are they still giving out any interview invites? Is there any use in sending an update letter at this point?

You lose nothing by sending an update. I would definitely send it.

I also have "Your application continues to be reviewed but there is no change in your status. Reviews will continue."

+1 - mine status just changed to this over the weekend.

Any idea what this means?

hey i understand that penn is non-rolling, but are they internally rolling like duke or do they wait until all interviews are finished to make their decisions?

I also have "Your application continues to be reviewed but there is no change in your status. Reviews will continue."
My status still says, "Your application is now in the screening process..." I wonder what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.