2011-2012 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting. (250 words)

The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine welcomes applicants with a variety of view points, backgrounds, and experiences. Describe some aspect(s) of your life that would contribute to our diverse community. (250 words)

If an invitation to interview is extended, we make every effort to match applicants with faculty members of similar interests. Even though an exact match is not always possible, we would like to know your areas of interest.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go Pitt!!!

I will be a first year here for your application cycle, so feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited about this school. I've heard the clinical opportunities are amazing!

i really like this school but i'm afraid to apply as my numbers are much lower than what i've seen are the avg's. however the rest of my app is solid and i'm nontraditional/have a story to tell. anyone know if pitt is very numbers focused? how beastly is the 2ndary (and they send this to everyone correct)?

HAIL TO PITT! I'm a Pitt undergrad and my dream is to continue here. I love Pittsburgh and I can't imagine having to go anywhere else for med school. Pitt Med is AMAZING :love: :xf:

i really like this school but i'm afraid to apply as my numbers are much lower than what i've seen are the avg's. however the rest of my app is solid and i'm nontraditional/have a story to tell. anyone know if pitt is very numbers focused? how beastly is the 2ndary (and they send this to everyone correct)?

Their MCAT and GPA averages are a little scary, yes, but several of my friends have gotten into Pitt with 28-32 MCAT scores. Apply early and wow them with the interview.

Last edited:
I'd love to hear some specifics! :)

I'm sure someone who is actually matriculated in Pitt Med can answer more specifically, but I have friends at the med school and spend a considerable amount of time there, so I guess I have some specifics :)

1) The fact that you start clinical experiences from day 1. You're not just sitting in a classroom for the first two years. August-Sept of MS-1 you learn about interviewing a patient. In October, you start learning how to take a physical exam. This is probably the main thing that draws me to Pitt, and what I'm looking for in other schools that I choose to apply to.

2) The setup of the curriculum. Block scheduling. I talked to a Tulane alum, and he said that they had anatomy, histology, and genetics all at the same time, and it was horrible. At Pitt, you focus on one main science course at a time. The first seven weeks is devoted solely to gross anatomy (in addition to an ethics course, a medical decision making course, and the patient care courses).

3) Problem based learning (PBL). A lot of the courses are based on this, and I think it is a more effective way to learn than just studying information for a test.

4) Research. Pitt, both undergrad and medical, is huge for research. If you don't want to do research of some kind, Pitt might not be right for you. Every medical student is required to complete a scholarly research project which spans almost your entire time in med school.

5) The city, the people, the campus. I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from a middle-of-nowhere rural town in PA, and I fell in love with Pittsburgh. It's not a huge city (people I know from NYC and Chicago hate the 'burgh), but it's big to me. The medical school is on the same campus as undergrad, law, public health, everything. The campus is not enclosed; it is very open and it mingles with the city and city buildings. The professors and administrators really care about the students. Every Pitt Med student I have met/known has been a really amazing person.

6) No grades, just Honors/Pass/Fail.

7) UPMC. :thumbup:

I'm sure someone who is actually matriculated in Pitt Med can answer more specifically, but I have friends at the med school and spend a considerable amount of time there, so I guess I have some specifics :)

1) The fact that you start clinical experiences from day 1. You're not just sitting in a classroom for the first two years. August-Sept of MS-1 you learn about interviewing a patient. In October, you start learning how to take a physical exam. This is probably the main thing that draws me to Pitt, and what I'm looking for in other schools that I choose to apply to.

2) The setup of the curriculum. Block scheduling. I talked to a Tulane alum, and he said that they had anatomy, histology, and genetics all at the same time, and it was horrible. At Pitt, you focus on one main science course at a time. The first seven weeks is devoted solely to gross anatomy (in addition to an ethics course, a medical decision making course, and the patient care courses).

3) Problem based learning (PBL). A lot of the courses are based on this, and I think it is a more effective way to learn than just studying information for a test.

4) Research. Pitt, both undergrad and medical, is huge for research. If you don't want to do research of some kind, Pitt might not be right for you. Every medical student is required to complete a scholarly research project which spans almost your entire time in med school.

5) The city, the people, the campus. I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from a middle-of-nowhere rural town in PA, and I fell in love with Pittsburgh. It's not a huge city (people I know from NYC and Chicago hate the 'burgh), but it's big to me. The medical school is on the same campus as undergrad, law, public health, everything. The campus is not enclosed; it is very open and it mingles with the city and city buildings. The professors and administrators really care about the students. Every Pitt Med student I have met/known has been a really amazing person.

6) No grades, just Honors/Pass/Fail.

7) UPMC. :thumbup:
:thumbup: Thank you! Good luck with your application :)

1) are international students accepted here?
2) do they screen applicants?
3) what's the interview like?

1) No...I'm pretty sure at least
2) No, the secondary is sent to all
3) One faculty and one student interview, both weigh equally

You should buy a copy of the MSAR. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
See Pitt's international policy:
http://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/a.../internationalstudentpolicyfinal5-13-2011.pdf

Whether they actually accept a significant number of internationals is unknown because current MSAR data are older than that policy. Someone should ask an M1 if they know any Canadians in the class.

Do internationals get consideration for the PSTP program?

Are PSTP interviews scheduled separately from the normal interviews?

definitely applying here, pitt has a strong neurosurgery program.

@chronicidal

Not only are interviews for PSTP scheduled separately, the entire application process is separate. This means that you could be waitlisted at Pitt but accepted to PSTP, which then pushes your application through admissions. That's what happened to my SO last year :) Not too sure whether internationals are considered...:/

Needless to say, Pitt is my top choice! I visit here all the time and love it and I'm spending the summer here as well. :D

When should the PSTP application be completed?

As far as I've seen, there's no rush. I believe they introduce you to the program during the regular MD interview and then the PSTP interviews are actually held later in February. My SO was an extremely late regular applicant and an even later PSTP applicant. I think the most important things are to have crazy research experience (a paper or two certainly helps) and also make an impression in the 6 or so interviews you have. Good luck! It's a great program. :)

do they give an in-state preference?

E-mail reply I got from them

International applications The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine programs leading to the MD, MD-PhD, and MD-MS degrees welcome applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of citizenship status. International applicants must meet all requirements of applicants who are United States citizens, permanent residents or asylees. These requirements mandate at least one year of higher education within the United States or Canada and completion of all pre-requisite courses as listed on the web site. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required. Please review the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine International Medical Student Application Process Policy for detailed requirements and instructions for the application process. Also, there is not any preference for in-state students and all students are looked at equally.

I was wondering how important undergrad research is for applying? I spent ~8 months in a research lab junior year, and another 5 months in a lab senior year for a senior thesis working ~20 hour/week. I have no publications.

Also, my GPA is 3.55, MCAT 36S(10p,11v,15b). Have pretty intense clinical experience, good community service, leadership, and teaching experience. I've gotten great comments on my PS, and will have good to very strong LORs.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should even bother applying? GPA has a steep upward trend, but will my ECs, specifically research, be enough?

Good luck to everybody!

I was wondering how important undergrad research is for applying? I spent ~8 months in a research lab junior year, and another 5 months in a lab senior year for a senior thesis working ~20 hour/week. I have no publications.

Also, my GPA is 3.55, MCAT 36S(10p,11v,15b). Have pretty intense clinical experience, good community service, leadership, and teaching experience. I've gotten great comments on my PS, and will have good to very strong LORs.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should even bother applying? GPA has a steep upward trend, but will my ECs, specifically research, be enough?

Good luck to everybody!

I got in last cycle with ZERO research experience. That's not typical at Pitt, but I'm proof it can happen... If you think it's a place you could like, it might be worth the ~$120 in fees.

According to the MSAR, 91% of those accepted to Pitt in 2008 had research experience.

That's about average for schools in the top 30 ranked by research.

Well, I have research. I guess I'm just curious what kind of depth is needed for a school like Pitt, or, just a "research heavy" school in general, as it's confused me for a while.

Well, I have research. I guess I'm just curious what kind of depth is needed for a school like Pitt, or, just a "research heavy" school in general, as it's confused me for a while.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but depth is irrelevant (unless you cleaned beakers and mopped floors) percentage I believe is calculated based on accepted students indicating they had research experience on their application.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but depth is irrelevant (unless you cleaned beakers and mopped floors) percentage I believe is calculated based on accepted students indicating they had research experience on their application.

No, you are absolutely correct. The MSAR figure means 91% of accepted students classified some activity as 'research'.

@Diggidy, I would say don't let a stat like that scare you off from applying, especially because you DO have research. Other applicants with more research won't even get an interview, and some with less research will be accepted. So if you (think you could) like the school, apply.

Also, there is not any preference for in-state students and all students are looked at equally.

Isn't Pitt a state school though? It is a competitive enough school that they probably will just accept the kids with the best applications, but I would think there is some level of in-state preference.

Pitt is a private school.

I think that the # IS vs. # OOS matriculants makes it seem as if Pitt does prefer ISers. However, if you look at interview offers you'll see Pitt offers roughly the same number of interviews for OOS as they do IS. I think it's just that those who are PA residents are more likely to go there compared to someone out of state. Also the tuition is slightly higher for OOS applicants which could be another reason.

So I will agree that Pitt really doesn't have IS preference, and if they do, it isn't a lot.

Pitt is a "state-related" school. They get a small amount of money from the state. But they are privately governed, meaning the legislature can't make them, for example, create a med school class that is at least half PA residents.

...yes, it is state-related and has been since '66, i.e., private board of governors.

btw: Penn State has a similar governance.

btw: Penn State has a similar governance.

Yeah which I think is a little annoying since imo being the state school of PA should mean that they receive a lot of public funding. It's frustrating being a resident here and seeing other state schools having extremely high IS preference and reasonable IS tuition. Although Penn State has been doing good lately having ~50% of their matriculants as ISers and the IS tuition is the cheapest of all the PA schools.

Alright I'm done.

/rant :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah which I think is a little annoying since imo being the state school of PA should mean that they receive a lot of public funding. It's frustrating being a resident here and seeing other state schools having extremely high IS preference and reasonable IS tuition. Although Penn State has been doing good lately having ~50% of their matriculants as ISers and the IS tuition is the cheapest of all the PA schools.

Alright I'm done.

/rant :laugh:

Heard that! PA resident here as well

.. Cheapest of all the PA schools .. not saying too much

Cheapest of all the PA schools .. not saying too much

Ha ha exactly! :laugh: After looking at my financial package thankfully living expenses for Hershey are dirt cheap (and if not then I don't know how I'm going to live off of what I've been given for the next 4 years. ha ha)

Going back to Pitt, I envy its location as I've lived close to Pittsburgh my whole life and love it here (and UPMC!).

Last edited:
Hi all! I've searched for an answer to this but haven't found it. Can anyone clarify the Pitt requirement: "We consider for admission currently enrolled students and graduates of accredited colleges. Only under exceptional circumstances will you be considered with fewer than 120 hours of undergraduate work."

Does this mean that I would need to have completed 120 hours of UG work before applying (not before matriculating)?

Hi all! I've searched for an answer to this but haven't found it. Can anyone clarify the Pitt requirement: "We consider for admission currently enrolled students and graduates of accredited colleges. Only under exceptional circumstances will you be considered with fewer than 120 hours of undergraduate work."

Does this mean that I would need to have completed 120 hours of UG work before applying (not before matriculating)?

No. They mean 120 hours of UG work before matriculating.

Sweet. Pitt!

Guessing it runs the level one trauma center on the west side of PA, right? I'm guessing it sees a lot diverse patients...right?

Now it's time to wait. lol

Just received secondary a couple of minutes ago

Do either of you mind posting up the secondary essay prompts? Are they same two as last year?

Do either of you mind posting up the secondary essay prompts? Are they same two as last year?

same as last year:

1.* Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma.* What was the outcome?* We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation.* Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.*
(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine welcomes applicants with a variety of view points, backgrounds, and experiences. Describe some aspect(s) of your life that would contribute to our diverse community.*
(Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Is anyone else having trouble saving some of the pages in the secondary? My coursework saves but info on two of the pages goes blank every time I go to the next page, even if I have saved it multiple times. :confused:

Edit: It started working after trying every few hours for the past day!

Last edited:
Mac- I'm having the same problem.

Pitt is an awesome school, and pittsburgh is a beautiful city. Good luck everyone! looking forward to seeing u guys during interviews :)

i was verified on the 20th, still no secondary e-mail yet.... :(
do they screen?

addressing these diversity questions are always so difficult, I never know what exactly the adcoms are looking for as far as the structure of the essay, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.