2011-2012 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No prompt

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what's the situation for OOS'ers here and are they very numbers conscious? i've heard that they like nontrad's so perhaps they'd be willing to overlook numbers?

Man, people gotta give some love to this school. I know rochester is kinda snowy and salty place. But people gotta give some love!! They got great music school and all

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Here it is...:love:

I hear that the clinical experience here is tops :thumbup: (due to Strong Memorial and Golisano).

Rochester weather gets a bad rap! :( Well that was years ago - back when we had things like actual blizzards and ice storms. Now all we get are some mild, but very lengthy, winters (only a few days of biting cold) and a refreshingly rainy summer.

so does the secondary have essay questions? they said they have optional ones in the email, but I can't find them in the actual secondary.

"You are not required to complete any essays on Rochester's supplemental application, just a few brief questions" -from the email

I was surprised but I think what you see is all there is to it! Def bumped up my love for Rochester.

loved their short secondary too. the first one I submitted! I was interested in their school for undergrad and would really like to go here for med school. and I actually prefer colder weather...

I was interested in their school for undergrad and would really like to go here for med school. and I actually prefer colder weather...

Same for both statements!

I wonder why it says they don't have my letters...

Submitted 10 minutes ago. What a nice little secondary! :)

Submitted 10 minutes ago. What a nice little secondary! :)

I submitted an hour earlier. I'm definitely gonna get accepted before you. I don't care that you basically scored a 45.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too bad none of my crappy experiences fall into any of the categories they listed. This is a bit of a reach for me OOS but it was worth a shot considering there were no essays. Submitted!

Anyone else having trouble with letters of recommendation? My letters were received by AMCAS awhile ago but according to Rochester's secondary status check, they still haven't gotten them. I sent them an email about it on Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet.

Anyone else having trouble with letters of recommendation? My letters were received by AMCAS awhile ago but according to Rochester's secondary status check, they still haven't gotten them. I sent them an email about it on Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet.

They haven't registered mine either. I submitted both letters and secondary about a week ago. Probably just their system, or they might be entering letters by hand.

Rochester weather gets a bad rap! :( Well that was years ago - back when we had things like actual blizzards and ice storms. Now all we get are some mild, but very lengthy, winters (only a few days of biting cold) and a refreshingly rainy summer.

really? heard everyone from rochester would rather live elsewhere due to the weather! lol

would anyone be kind enough to post the secondary questions? thank you!

So i got a reply from the admissions committee about letters of recommendation:

"Thank you for your email. All of your letters have been received by AMCAS. However, we are having some technical difficulties in downloading the letters from AMCAS. I have notified our IT personnel regarding this and we are hoping to have this issued resolved within the next couple of days. Once all your letters have been downloaded, you will receive a complete email from us."

So i got a reply from the admissions committee about letters of recommendation:

"Thank you for your email. All of your letters have been received by AMCAS. However, we are having some technical difficulties in downloading the letters from AMCAS. I have notified our IT personnel regarding this and we are hoping to have this issued resolved within the next couple of days. Once all your letters have been downloaded, you will receive a complete email from us."

Great to know! Thanks for posting their response. I was about to email the school as well! :)

They fixed the IT problem! I got an email yesterday saying that my app was complete with letters of recommendation.

Would I be a horrible person for posting on this thread if I were an EAP applicant? :D Love Rochester, but the whole five spots dealio is kind of daunting...

I'll go ahead and bump this thread:). Though my admissions cycle is separate from you guys (EAP), it'd be cool to see what fellow Rochester applicants like about Rochester! If I don't get in here EAP, I'll probably still apply anyway through AMCAS.

This problem only happens to idiots like me, but make sure you actually hit the submit button under each section. I thought I submitted it after paying the fee last week but no.

Would I be a horrible person for posting on this thread if I were an EAP applicant? :D Love Rochester, but the whole five spots dealio is kind of daunting...

What do you mean only 5 spots?

Oh, sorry, I'm an Early Assurance Program applicant, so they have only about 5 spots or so for acceptances :oops: Just not liking the odds too much...

Oh, sorry, I'm an Early Assurance Program applicant, so they have only about 5 spots or so for acceptances :oops: Just not liking the odds too much...

Very Cool! I'm an undergrad here and it's an amazing school. I love it so much. Good Luck, I'm sure you're good as in!:)

Oh awesome! How do you like the Rochester area? Literally the only negative thing in my mind about URoch is the weather/small city feel (I'm from another small city in Upstate NY, and can't say it's my favorite), otherwise it's actually the PERFECT medical school!

Hmm, I think you might be thinking of the REMS program: the EAP is actually separate, there are about ten LAC's which participate, and only applicants from those ten schools can be considered for the five or so spots they allocate in each class for the EAP program. I was just posting on here because Rochester's rockin', but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate since I'm not applying through AMCAS, but rather through a separate program.

Any news? I was complete 7/8 and have heard nothing.

Any news? I was complete 7/8 and have heard nothing.

The first interview invite from last year's thread was during the first week in August. Who knows, maybe things will be earlier this year.

I'd love to hear something too!

Just a question: why did you guys choose to apply to Rochester? (This is my lame attempt at fostering some convo, lol. Obvious lame person is obvious)

complete! easiest secondary ever... so refreshing after some of those other beasts

Sent in the secondary today. Hope to hear something from this school. I visited during undergrad and I really liked the campus.

Oh awesome! How do you like the Rochester area? Literally the only negative thing in my mind about URoch is the weather/small city feel (I'm from another small city in Upstate NY, and can't say it's my favorite), otherwise it's actually the PERFECT medical school!

Hmm, I think you might be thinking of the REMS program: the EAP is actually separate, there are about ten LAC's which participate, and only applicants from those ten schools can be considered for the five or so spots they allocate in each class for the EAP program. I was just posting on here because Rochester's rockin', but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate since I'm not applying through AMCAS, but rather through a separate program.

I like Rochester a lot, the weather gets pretty bad but not as bad as people think. The campus has a tunnel system so you don't have to be outside for too long. In my opinion the professors are fantastic. They really care about the students and encourage them to strike up conversations. City is on the small side but you'll find things to do.

I have no idea why....but im really really drawn to this school. Rochester just sounds so BA

gl everyone!

The campus has a tunnel system!? I love this school.

The campus has a tunnel system!? I love this school.

Don't get too excited. That tunnel system is for the River campus, and it doesn't connect Strong Hospital with the River campus. The tunnel also fails to connect to the dorms, and it doesn't connect the main library with the large science building. :mad:

There's plenty of other reasons to like Rochester though. :D

Silence = nobody's heard anything?

I just received an interview invite via e-mail. I'll be there on 9/2. There are a bunch of dates open, starting with 8/29. Good luck to all of you!

Interview Invitation too! complete 7/3

Interview invitation here as well! Complete 6/21. Will be interviewing 9/2 as well. Good luck, everyone!

Interview invite today. Complete 6/21 3.8/34R. I'll be there on Sept 1.

Awesome, guys, congrats! :) Still waiting on my committee letter to be sent...grrr...

Status
Not open for further replies.