2011-2012 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

I e-mailed Peggy in admissions yesterday, and she said the secondary would be out by the end of next week. We shall see....

Members don't see this ad :)
No prob :) I'm pretty sure they send one to nearly every IS applicant. Not 100% about that though...Prob. if any screening is done at all, it's just the min. MCAT, state residency, and maybe some GPA comb throughs

think they'll be friendly to a LA resident? :D

I know their OOS rates are low, so not too hopeful over here.

think they'll be friendly to a LA resident? :D

I know their OOS rates are low, so not too hopeful over here.

Of course they'll be friendly! BUT, if you look on their website, they outline what they expect of OOS folks, (stats wise). OOS may be a long shot here, but you'll never know unless you try :)

:luck:GOOD LUCK!! (To all of us!)

just received my secondary and interview invite by email....anyone else?

no essays, just some background info. I'm early decision though, so thats probably why secondaries reached me first. I pretty sure they send them to every alabama resident...

I'm confused. I got the email for the secondary application, and it talks about there being an attachment... but I don't think it was included. Am I overlooking something? Anyone else having the same problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I had the same problem.

I was hoping I wasn't just being extra slow today.

I got an email from them shortly after I posted that message saying they were having difficulties with AMCAS and would send secondary as soon as they could.

guess we have to wait for the attachment. btw what did it say are the stats for out of state?

Got the secondary. Doesn't make much sense to have to send it in via snail mail. Oh well...will drop it in the mail tmrw!

This thread is so quiet...anyone heard anything from south or about where they are in the whole process? I know UAB did edp interviews today, and they have sent II's for at least the next two weeks as well.

I don't believe they send a complete email, but I'm not totally sure.

I've been wondering the same thing. All I know is that they cashed my check for the secondary application fee about two weeks ago. So hopefully they'll start sending out invites or at least some sort of notifications fairly soon.

Hey folks, EDP interviews were held 9/22 last year IIRC. There was one EDP/EAP interview and then they started the main interview cycle. You should get an invite via email. Good luck!

Does anyone know how many students are usually accepted from those who interview EDP?

Thanks and good luck to all those applying this year.

Does anyone know how many students are usually accepted from those who interview EDP?

Thanks and good luck to all those applying this year.

On MSAR it says 15 for the EDP program on the main page, but under matriculation data it only shows 3...not sure why there's such a big discrepancy.

There are more than three EDP acceptances in my class.

EDP interviews were today at South...I was really impressed with everything. Mark Scott is a great guy, and pretty knowledgable about all things South Alabama. Hopefully I hear back from them soon!

Also, I guess it's been mentioned before in previous years' threads, but they broke down the scoring system as follows:

30% GPA
30% MCAT
40% interviews

You get a score based on that, and the adcom sets a bar that they slowly lower as the application cycle progresses until they fill the class. Simple enough...

3 one-on-one interviews lasting about 40 minutes each....2 faculty and 1 student. They were pretty low stress, and honestly I didn't get asked any of the typical-sounding interview questions ("tell me about yourself" "why medicine" "strengths, weaknesses" etc). It was mostly just a get-to-know-you thing....

I just heard from Peggy, and she says that application status will likely remain the same for several months--"rec'd and under review." She did emphasize that USA interviews many more applicants after the first of the year than before, so most interview invites should be expected around Feb or March. Their website mentions, however, that standard interviews begin in October, (i.e., non-EDP). I suppose they're offered very conservatively, though. Hang in there, everyone! Doesn't sound like you'll get status updates here until you're invited for an interview.

I just heard from Peggy, and she says that application status will likely remain the same for several months--"rec'd and under review." She did emphasize that USA interviews many more applicants after the first of the year than before, so most interview invites should be expected around Feb or March. Their website mentions, however, that standard interviews begin in October, (i.e., non-EDP). I suppose they're offered very conservatively, though. Hang in there, everyone! Doesn't sound like you'll get status updates here until you're invited for an interview.

Holy crap, so most people won't be interviewing here until Feb/March?

If its like last year, they'll interview from October until March. A few days after your interview, you will get either an acceptance or a hold card in the mail. If you are placed on hold, you probably won't know until March if you are accepted, placed on waitlist, or rejected. The waitlist usually starts moving in late May. There are probably exceptions, but this is usually how it works.

Holy crap, so most people won't be interviewing here until Feb/March?

idk..just relaying the message I received--and Peggy should know. The website does say they interview from Oct on, but she made it seem as if they don't get truly busy till the spring semester.

I think the main take-home is that if you're not invited for an interview this fall, no worries. You're more likely to be invited in the spring than in the fall.

And def. don't expect to hear anything before your interview invite. No status updates here.

What size photo did you guys attach to the secondary?? I have a photo that fits in the box, but it fits so I'm in landscape view instead of portrait... do you think that's okay?

no way man they'll throw that straight into the trash and add you to the AAMC blacklist

What size photo did you guys attach to the secondary?? I have a photo that fits in the box, but it fits so I'm in landscape view instead of portrait... do you think that's okay?

It is supposed to be passport size. I would say go to the website and find the actual measurements or template for a passport photo. Then print that out or save it to your computer. Then open MS paint and open your template. press file and find the picture you want to print. Measure that photo to fit in that template in the background. Click print.

Or just print the template, cut the picture within the template.

interview invite 10/26!

Invite yesterday for the 26th as well! Completely unexpected considering what I had heard about their interview process. On another note, does south refrain from sending any acceptances until March 15?

Invite yesterday for the 26th as well! Completely unexpected considering what I had heard about their interview process. On another note, does south refrain from sending any acceptances until March 15?

YH5 said:
If its like last year, they'll interview from October until March. A few days after your interview, you will get either an acceptance or a hold card in the mail. If you are placed on hold, you probably won't know until March if you are accepted, placed on waitlist, or rejected. The waitlist usually starts moving in late May. There are probably exceptions, but this is usually how it works.

Good luck to everyone interviewing on the 26th!

No, some of the Early Decision people were accepted a couple of weeks ago, but I guess they have not posted on here or are not members.

I had an interview today, and Mark Scott said letters should be going out first or second week of November. Hope this helps!

I know some were interviewing today. How did it go? Any new info as far as timeline, etc?

My day went really well. I didn't know a whole lot about South, and I have to say I was very impressed for multiple reasons. Dr. Scott said the first acceptances would go out after their third interview day, which is the second week in November. So I would expect people to get letters at the end of that week or the beginning of the next one.

Hey all, a couple questions about south:

Do they provide any sort of notification when your secondary/whole application is received and complete?

Any OOSs gotten an II yet?

Hey all, a couple questions about south:

Do they provide any sort of notification when your secondary/whole application is received and complete?

Any OOSs gotten an II yet?

i think its just total silence until they invite you for interview or reject you. I emailed scott about my application status but he never responded lol

Acceptance letter in the mail today! Good luck, everyone!

Note: Interview was 10/12 for those who may be curious.

Accepted! Got the letter today! Much faster than the second week of November haha. Interviewed 10/26

I know one guy already said his interview was structured with the 3 one on ones. Can anyone else shed any light on their experience? Ill be interviewing the 16th...super excited...

Three one-on-one interviews with two faculty and one 4th year med student, 30 min each. The med student interview was completely no stress, actually complemented me a good deal and just asked to describe various experiences/why medicine. Two faculty interviews were really laid back as well, talked almost the whole time about my research and one other activity they found interesting. Also make sure you do some research on the school and know some of the opportunities they provide and why it would be a good fit for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.