2011-2012 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been under review since 7/25. Does USC reject people before interview or they just leave it under review until the end of the cycle? IS, GPA 3.64, 3.7, 33M.

Members don't see this ad.

Went to the interview today. The administration could not have been nicer, med students giving tour loved the school, and both of my interviews (one student, one surgeon) were conversational and relaxed. I don't think I could have had any better of an experience!

Also, County is absolutely the place where I want to train:

Founded in 1878, Los Angeles County LAC+USC Healthcare Network (LAC+USC) is the nation's largest academic institution. It is one of the largest acute care hospitals in America and has been the primary facility of the University of Southern California School of Medicine since 1885. Originally established as a 100-bed hospital with 47 patients, it now is licensed for 600 beds and budgeted to staff 745 beds.

LAC+USC provides a full spectrum of emergency, inpatient and outpatient services. These include medical, surgical and emergency/trauma services in General Hospital. In Women's and Children's Hospital it provides obstetrical, gynecological, pediatric and specialized neonatal intensive care services as well as psychiatric services for adults, adolescents and children. The Medical Center also operates a hyperbaric chamber on Catalina Island.

As the largest single provider of healthcare in the County, LAC+USC provides the community with more than 28 percent of its trauma care. It operates one of three burn centers in the County and one of the few Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Units in Southern California. It provides care for half of both AIDS patients and sickle cell anemia patients in Southern California. It maintains inpatient and outpatient services for the most acute cases of mental illness. It trains approximately 1,500 medical professionals per day, including more than 870 medical residents in nearly all medical specialties.

Last edited:
It's been pretty quiet in here, considering the back to back days of interviews!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Went to the interview and it was super relaxed. Your interviewers, one faculty and one student, just talk to you. It's closed file, so they can't lead you with questions pulled from your application, just a simple "tell me about yourself." The faculty interviewer and I did discuss health care policy, but I can't recall if that came naturally from the conversation or not. Either way, each hour flew by.

FYI: If you choose Session 1, which now starts at 8:45, not 8:15, then your interviews are at 9 and 10. The Session 2 group arrives around 10, and both groups attend a financial aid/scholarship presentation and a "Meet and Greet" with two very nice people from administration. Then it's time for lunch with your student tour guides, followed by the tour. The interviews for Session 2 are after the tour, at 2 and 3.

I had Session 1 because all the Session 2 slots were filled, but I'm really glad it ended up that way. It was nice to get the interviews over with early. Even though they were easy, it felt good not to have them hanging over me. Plus, I got to leave at 2, which meant easier traffic than I would have faced at 4.

Overall, I was really impressed. The students seem happy and friendly, and they made it sound like a really cooperative place with lots of opportunities for research and hands-on experience with patients. Everyone emphasized how much support the faculty and administration gave the students. I came away knowing I would be really happy to go to USC.:xf:

Overall, I was really impressed. The students seem happy and friendly, and they made it sound like a really cooperative place with lots of opportunities for research and hands-on experience with patients. Everyone emphasized how much support the faculty and administration gave the students. I came away knowing I would be really happy to go to USC.:xf:
I'm glad we seemed happy even though we had a test that afternoon :laugh:

Went to the interview today. The administration could not have been nicer, med students giving tour loved the school, and both of my interviews (one student, one surgeon) were conversational and relaxed. I don't think I could have had any better of an experience!

Also, County is absolutely the place where I want to train:

Founded in 1878, Los Angeles County LAC+USC Healthcare Network (LAC+USC) is the nation's largest academic institution. It is one of the largest acute care hospitals in America and has been the primary facility of the University of Southern California School of Medicine since 1885. Originally established as a 100-bed hospital with 47 patients, it now is licensed for 600 beds and budgeted to staff 745 beds.

LAC+USC provides a full spectrum of emergency, inpatient and outpatient services. These include medical, surgical and emergency/trauma services in General Hospital. In Women's and Children's Hospital it provides obstetrical, gynecological, pediatric and specialized neonatal intensive care services as well as psychiatric services for adults, adolescents and children. The Medical Center also operates a hyperbaric chamber on Catalina Island.

As the largest single provider of healthcare in the County, LAC+USC provides the community with more than 28 percent of its trauma care. It operates one of three burn centers in the County and one of the few Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Units in Southern California. It provides care for half of both AIDS patients and sickle cell anemia patients in Southern California. It maintains inpatient and outpatient services for the most acute cases of mental illness. It trains approximately 1,500 medical professionals per day, including more than 870 medical residents in nearly all medical specialties, 160 students of nursing and health professionals such as pharmacists; midwives; physician assistants; physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists; dieticians; podiatrists; and laboratory and radiologic technologists.

How many schools did you apply to Malibu? I remember you from the 5/26 MCAT thread and was just wondering.

Does anyone know if USC is receptive to update letters?

Thanks and good luck!

Does anyone know if USC is receptive to update letters?

Thanks and good luck!

I think I remember them saying they're happy to read update letters that contain significant information, like a prestigious award or a publication in the works, but that they don't want to hear about random stuff.

I asked them that question and they do not want updates unless you have been offered an interview.

FYI, this is what came back in February (last year's cycle) as an auto reply email to another admissions question I had (note the updates info):

INTERVIEW INVITATIONS: The 2010-2011 interview season began on October 12, 2010 and ends on April 1, 2011. If your application is complete, it is currently being reviewed by a member of our screening committee to determine your status for an interview. You will be notified via email of their decision once they have finished evaluating your file. The screening committee can keep an application in consideration for any amount of time. The staff in the admissions office is not notified about interview invitations until after applicants are notified.

UPDATE LETTERS: At this time, the Keck School of Medicine does not accept updates to your application unless you have been invited for an interview. If invited for an interview, you may provide the committee with additional updates to your application. We thank you for your understanding.

FYI, this is what came back in February (last year's cycle) as an auto reply email to another admissions question I had (note the updates info):

INTERVIEW INVITATIONS: The 2010-2011 interview season began on October 12, 2010 and ends on April 1, 2011. If your application is complete, it is currently being reviewed by a member of our screening committee to determine your status for an interview. You will be notified via email of their decision once they have finished evaluating your file. The screening committee can keep an application in consideration for any amount of time. The staff in the admissions office is not notified about interview invitations until after applicants are notified.

UPDATE LETTERS: At this time, the Keck School of Medicine does not accept updates to your application unless you have been invited for an interview. If invited for an interview, you may provide the committee with additional updates to your application. We thank you for your understanding.

Great! Thanks for the help everyone. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they do silent rejection? Haven't heard anything since July.

For those receiving interviews or have attended an interview...
When were you complete?

Anyone heard anything about when the first acceptances will go out? Or if they will be emailed or snail mailed? Msar says November 1st, but I know a lot of things have changed with the changes in the admissions committee. Thanks!

Interview invite earlier today!!!! one of my top choices :)

Interview invite today. 37S/3.9. This school is in my top 3. I am very excited. Complete mid August.

Anyone know % of interviewed that are accepted?

Interview Invite

Fall 2008 Admissions Statistics
Total admissions data 6617 applied, 622 interviewed, 354 were accepted, 159 enrolled
Pulled this off of medicalschoolsinus-looks pretty accurate to me

According to US News:

6442 applied
524 interviewed
337 accepted
174 enrolled

Does USC reject pre-interview? It has been too long of a wait.

I've been seeing some of you interview-goers around campus lately. If we all look stressed and tired, well that's because both the MS1s and MS2s have exams next week (which is pretty rare!). Good luck with admissions, guys!

Has anyone with less than a 35 mcat gotten an interview here yet?

They interview the people with high stats first, but most will not matriculate. Then the people, who fit their average 32-34 get interviewed and enroll.

They interview the people with high stats first, but most will not matriculate. Then the people, who fit their average 32-34 get interviewed and enroll.

Has anyone with less than a 35 mcat gotten an interview here yet?

Ha, this is why I stopped checking this thread regularly. My stats are avg-ish, and it's kind of discouraging to watch invites go out to high stats people...because USC is my top choice! Anyway, a friend of mine is a 2nd year right now. She had a 33, received her interview in January, interviewed in February, and was accepted off the waitlist just after May 15. So...don't lose hope.

Last edited:
Ha, this is why I stopped checking this thread regularly. My stats are avg-ish, and it's kind of discouraging to watch invites go out to high stats people...because USC is my top choice! Anyway, a friend of mine is a 2nd year right now. She had a 33, received her interview in January, interviewed in February, and was accepted off the waitlist just after May 15. So...don't lose hope.
That's right, don't give up hope on any schools you haven't heard from yet! I interviewed at USC in February and got in straight up 4 weeks later. My numbers weren't that impressive, but here I am, studying for tomorrow's anatomy practical!

:luck: to you all, and remember that you can PM me with any questions.

sorry if this has been asked, but i couldnt find the answer. does anyone know what days of the week keck interviews on?

Does Keck have rolling admissions? I dug up a few threads and it seems that they don't. Can anyone confirm this?

Does Keck have rolling admissions? I dug up a few threads and it seems that they don't. Can anyone confirm this?

Their website isn't explicit about the process, but in the interview invitation email it says that interviewees will be notified about their status 6-8 weeks after interviewing. I feel like this implies some degree of rolling admissions? :shrug:

Ya, they're just like pretty much any other school. They don't seem to be as crazy about it as mayo or UMich, but they're rolling for sure.

Also, I believe that there were changes in the admissions committee leadership this year. They seem to be doing some things differently and operating on a different timeline from previous years. So there's not much you can learn from other threads and previous years, cuz admissions at USC has changed quite a bit from last year and the years before.

Also, I believe that there were changes in the admissions committee leadership this year. They seem to be doing some things differently and operating on a different timeline from previous years. So there's not much you can learn from other threads and previous years, cuz admissions at USC has changed quite a bit from last year and the years before.

Truth - they are totally revamping the process. The Dean of Admissions is a recent post. And I remember on my interview day she made some comments implying that they were rolling as well.

keck-y-u-no-love-me.jpg

:(

An option everyone flying into LA for an interview should know about is the flyaway shuttle. For $7, it takes you to Union Station, where you can catch the USC shuttle to the health sciences campus, if you're staying there, or the metro, or a cab. It's much cheaper than taking a cab all the way there. You can reference the USC shuttle schedule online, if you are planning to use it.

I'm considering using the flyaway shuttle+USC shuttle. I was wondering which of the USC shuttles to take at Union Station that will get me closest to the medical school. Also is this method reliable? Thx

I'm considering using the flyaway shuttle+USC shuttle. I was wondering which of the USC shuttles to take at Union Station that will get me closest to the medical school. Also is this method reliable? Thx
The USC shuttles at Union are very reliable. They all go on a circuit from main campus to Union Station to the health sciences campus, so if you get on one you'll get to HSC eventually. Just ask the bus driver if you don't want to be on the bus that long. The shuttle will drop you off near the middle of the campus.

http://transnet.usc.edu/transit/routes.aspx See "HSC to Union Station" and "Intercampus" sections for times.

does anyone have links to match lists in either 2009, 2010, or 2011? I've done a bunch of google searches but am having trouble finding.

I'm going to be interviewing on the 26th, anyone interviewing the same day want to share a cab from LAX to USC around 8:20-8:30? Feel free to PM me.

The USC shuttles at Union are very reliable. They all go on a circuit from main campus to Union Station to the health sciences campus, so if you get on one you'll get to HSC eventually. Just ask the bus driver if you don't want to be on the bus that long. The shuttle will drop you off near the middle of the campus.

http://transnet.usc.edu/transit/routes.aspx See "HSC to Union Station" and "Intercampus" sections for times.
Any idea who is the dean of admissions at Keck med school? I think Dr. Quinn resigned last year. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks

thanks for all the great info on the interviews everyone! I am so excited to be interviewing here, definitely one of my top choices.

complete: 9/1
invited for interview: 10/11
interview: 10/19

"Any idea who is the dean of admissions at Keck med school? I think Dr. Quinn resigned last year. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks"

The dean is now Dr. Arias who is kind, loving, and over all fabulous

"Any idea who is the dean of admissions at Keck med school? I think Dr. Quinn resigned last year. Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks"

The dean is now Dr. Arias who is kind, loving, and over all fabulous
Truth. She's a baller.

Does anyone have any idea when they are going to start releasing decisions, or how? Given how much things have changed since last year, I feel like new info is in order. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.