2011-2012 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your frustration, but really do you think they chose to do that? They probably told you as soon as they got to your application. Ultimately it is your responsibility to make sure you submit all required materials.

Yes- I emailed and called several times this past month for exactly that reason- to make sure all my materials were in. I never was emailed back or called back. Finally, when I did get through this week, I found out.

And really-- think about it, how can they take the fee and not acknowledge receipt of the secondary that was submitted along with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email today saying that I was meant to get a Secondary Application on Sept 8.......

Here's to hoping it's not too late to still have a shot at an interview...

This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm talking about. How is it fair for this applicant to be delayed in the process because of issues at Toledo? What about all the applicants that are now ahead in being reviewed? These apps are expensive, time consuming, and remember also, it's rolling admissions.

A lot of us were in the same boat....SDN is a small sample size -- but if admissions are rolling, and the majority of us report some kind of delay, then aren't all of us at about the same point of progress in the application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of us were in the same boat....SDN is a small sample size -- but if admissions are rolling, and the majority of us report some kind of delay, then aren't all of us at about the same point of progress in the application process?

So was everyone's application had some kinda of administrative delays? I submitted my secondary very beginning of Sept but didn't get through with submission until a little more than a month later. I had to email and called 2-3 times every week.

So was everyone's application had some kinda of administrative delays? I submitted my secondary very beginning of Sept but didn't get through with submission until a little more than a month later. I had to email and called 2-3 times every week.

Don't you guys read the thread? They had the main admissions lady for >30 years recently retire and their office was greatly affected. They've only had a couple interviewing sessions where not many people were there. My interview session had 5 people and was a couple weeks ago. You guys are perfectly fine. Relax and good luck.

Ugh. I read- maybe u dont. My application was not delayed. It was lost and they took my fee. At least they still have your app

Ugh. I read- maybe u dont. My application was not delayed. It was lost and they took my fee. At least they still have your app

I did. You were talking about fairness of applicants being delayed and rolling admissions, and therefore my comment refers in part to you.

Wow congrats! did you hear through snail mail? I interviewed on 10/17 and haven't heard anything yet. I guess I am rejected. :(

Yes they only notify acceptances through snail mail. They mailed them out on the 9th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow congrats! did you hear through snail mail? I interviewed on 10/17 and haven't heard anything yet. I guess I am rejected. :(

relax, mail might get to certain places faster than others, chances are the 17th and 24th group were reviewed on the same day so you'll probably hear by monday.

i interviewed on the 13th but havent heard anything either. i might get something in the mail monday then. regardless, im definitely not going here though lol

relax, mail might get to certain places faster than others, chances are the 17th and 24th group were reviewed on the same day so you'll probably hear by monday.

Thanks for the info. I am actually out of town and I will go back tomorrow. Now I am so anxious. I really hope that a good news is waiting for me. :)

Accepted!!! Got the letter just now when I got home!
Congrats!!

waitlisted. i will be withdrawing my application tomorrow. this school really turned me off. good luck to everyone else applying here though. hopefully you have a better experience than me with the school

waitlisted. i will be withdrawing my application tomorrow. this school really turned me off. good luck to everyone else applying here though. hopefully you have a better experience than me with the school

ehh at least you got into other schools you liked! Toledo is pretty much my number 1 choice so I hope they let me in :)

waitlisted as well. I am so depressed now. So the letter sounds like they won't look at the waitlist until May right?

ehh at least you got into other schools you liked! Toledo is pretty much my number 1 choice so I hope they let me in :)

yea sorry not trying to sound bitter here. wishing you and anyone else still waiting on a decision the best of luck! all it takes is one!

Toledo is high on my list and I was just curious as to what turned you off to the school? I have not interviewed here but I am hopeful to still get an II. I was very frustrated with the admissions office, but I was hoping that was not indicative of the rest of the school. Your input is appreciated.

Can any current students comment on how many hours of lecture you have each day in the first 2 years, whether its mandatory, if material is posted online in video/audio format, when it is posted etc.?

Can any current students comment on how many hours of lecture you have each day in the first 2 years, whether its mandatory, if material is posted online in video/audio format, when it is posted etc.?

I am not a student, but what was conveyed to me at my interview is that lecture is usually 9-12 then 1-3 and on days with anatomy it tends to feel as if you're there all day. It's usually 1-3, but can be 1-5 sometimes. Lecture is not mandatory, but a lot of students attend it. There is no filming of lecture, but the audio is recorded. Depends on the professor, but typically there are course notes on paper and powerpoints online as well. They seem very very in-tune with student feedback towards the courses just based on my interview day and the students generally seem happy with the responsiveness and with the overall catering to their need that the school provides. The school overall seemed to have a family feel to it.

The # of hrs of lecture/day really depends on the block you're in...

for Block 1 = biochem + cell/mol biology it's mostly 8am-12pm w/ some afternoon microanatomy labs, from 1pm-3pm (which are just looking at electronically available slides)

For block 2 = anatomy, it's usually lecture from 8am-12pm w/ gross and/or microanatomy lab 2-3 afternoons during the week (gross labs range from 2-3 hours)

For block 3a/3b = neurosciences + behavioral sciences it's mostly 8am-12pm

Stretched throughout the whole 1st and 2nd year is a Clinical Decision Making (CDM) course which includes ethics, physical and history taking, a clinical decision making component/clinical problem solving, and biostatistics/evidence-based medicine. CDM occurs mostly on afternoons, somewhat randomly.

In the 2nd year, the first block is infection and immunity (all of microbiology + immunology) which is 9a-12p and there are a few (~4-5) basic microbiology labs which occur in the afternoon and only take an hour or two. The 2nd major block is organ systems (part of organ systems occurs during I+I on a couple afternoons/week) which consists of a systems-based approach to physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology; organ systems involves lecture - usually from 8a-12p and occasional (afternoon) pathology small group sessions/pathology labs which involve discussing pathology (and pathology slides) in the context of clinical vignettes.

For the most part, lectures are not mandatory, but there are exceptions - mostly for CDM, but also some of the lectures in the neurosciences course are mandatory. microanatomy labs usually aren't mandatory but gross anatomy labs are. Microbiology labs, the clinical problem solving sessions, and pathology small group sessions are also mandatory.

At the current time, lectures are only audio-recorded, and are usually available on the same day as the lecture w/ a delay of a few hours. Archived lecture audio (for the past 4 or 5 years) is also available. Lecture notes/powerpoints are provided both in a physical and electronic (via Blackboard, usually in advance of the lecture) format.

Do they send pre-interview rejections after receipt of the secondary application?

I interviewed October 27th, so it had been for a while, good luck!!!! :)

I interviewed October 27th, so it had been for a while, good luck!!!! :)

When did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking? I'm really wanting an interview here!

When did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking? I'm really wanting an interview here!

I got mine in mid-august, when I was interviewing there though, they told us the front office is running a little late and they just started filling their class soo there are plenty of invites/seats left. Good luck!:):)

Been seeing a lot of poor reviews from Toledo on this thread. I never got a secondary and submitted my AMCAS July 1. Should I just take it as a loss? Call the admin office? Email? I hate to give up on a med school but this is pretty out there...

Been seeing a lot of poor reviews from Toledo on this thread. I never got a secondary and submitted my AMCAS July 1. Should I just take it as a loss? Call the admin office? Email? I hate to give up on a med school but this is pretty out there...

Most likely you were screened out. In the same boat. Although, I submitted my app in August.

A friend of mine with a high MCAT/ average GPA never got the secondary either, and I know he wasn't screened out. The admissions office is struggling this year. The negative reviews are mostly from frustration. If you think your numbers are solid, there could still be hope, but it is late in the season.

If you have the money...go for it. If you are running low on cash, it could be a costly gamble. There is no guarantee your app will get looked at when the admissions department is having this many problems. I have heard good things about the school, so it might be a bet worth taking.

They've had a major staff change with someone retiring in July, which probably is about the worst time to leave (should've left in June) but anyways I definitely would give them a call.

Also, I'd say to anyone applying to really not base your choices of a school off of how the Admissions office operates. Sure the Admissions Office is struggling but when you come to Toledo or wherever you end up, you're not going to be thinking about how the Admissions Office processed your application. Just my 2 cents.

Hey just to give a little hope to my fellow "not so good stats" bunch. I am a OOS with 3.4/26Q (6 in VR) and I even got a secondary somehow. I really wasn't expecting much but I got one and submitted it in early Nov. They didn't send me one until after I called and inquired about how things are going. My point is to just stay positive regardless of your situation.

Side note: Do med schools send sec apps just for the money??

Side note: Do med schools send sec apps just for the money??

Some admissions processes at schools I think are just for revenue. ie: some medical schools send out secondaries before their applicants have been verified through AMCAS which sounds to me like a revenue driven practice. I wouldn't know a for sure answer to your question, but thats what I have ascertained from the whole process (this is my 2nd time around!)

anyone have any idea when the 11/3 interview group will hear back??

I interviewed on 11/21 and they told us we would be reviewed on 12/8 and/or 12/12 so I'm guessing you should hear back pretty soon. Hope this helps, good luck! :xf:

I just feel inclined to post this because I really had a nice deep meditation on the entire application cycle. I have interviewed at a few schools this cycle, some top 20, some middle tier, and some lower quartile and I must say that the top 20 schools didn't care about me at all. One interviewer didn't ask me anything about myself and assumed I was a religion that I am not, and even assumed I was from a state that I am not from. If this school doesn't even care about me when they are trying to recruit me, imagine how little they will actually care when they have me as one of their students. I know that philosophy isn't entirely true and that's why people don't base their decisions off of their interviewers, but Toledo really changed my entire outlook on the entire process. Toledo was the first school where I felt that my interviewers had looked at my application deeply and were viewing me as a person rather than a set of statistics with some activities. The way these interviewers knew my application was astonishing and they truly cared about what I was saying. That being said, I learned a lot from my interviews as well. In that short amount of time with the interviewers, I felt as though I had come out more prepared to be a physician than I walked in. It was reminiscent of being recruited by college athletics and seeing how some schools try to lure with facilities and parties and other schools had coaches that actually cared and made me a better player during the recruitment and those are the schools I wanted to attend.

I don't know how helpful this post was, but for me Toledo set itself apart from the interviewer stand-point and although it is only one category which will probably have very little to do with my actual choice of medical schools, it is far above and beyond any other school in that category. And it gives me the sense that Toledo probably has a more caring and nurturing environment for their students than other schools and I personally find that much more comforting than feeling like I flew halfway across the country and spent loads of money for the school to have a representative who didn't care for me whatsoever. Just something to think about when choosing schools I guess.

Last edited:
Some admissions processes at schools I think are just for revenue. ie: some medical schools send out secondaries before their applicants have been verified through AMCAS which sounds to me like a revenue driven practice. I wouldn't know a for sure answer to your question, but thats what I have ascertained from the whole process (this is my 2nd time around!)

I'm sure some schools do it for revenue because I've done secondaries where the questions are just repeats of the information on the AMCAS.

Anyone with later secondary submissions receive II yet? I'm getting anxious, December starts tomorrow lol

Anyone with later secondary submissions receive II yet? I'm getting anxious, December starts tomorrow lol

Same for me :/ I submitted my secondary early august, completed on august 31 and no word yet..
but I have heard that they have not had many interview days, so thats nice!
Here is to waiting! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.