2011-2012 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

what is the OOS situation here? i've heard it's pretty OOS friendly. how numbers focused is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone!

I'm a rising second year at UVM, and although second year is notoriously busy for all med students, I'll do my best to be a presence in here and give people answers to their questions (if i have them!!)

UVM is OOS friendly compared to a lot of state schools. VT residents made up ~25% of my class at matriculation. but you have to balance that against the fact that they have received 5-6k applications every year for several years now. my class started with 114 students and i am not familiar with any plans to expand.

i do feel that the admissions folks do a superior job of looking at the whole person here, and seeing what unique perspectives a person can bring to the experience of the class as a whole. thus you'll see a wider variety of academic backgrounds, life experiences, age groups, and yes a broader range of GPA/MCAT than many other places. so far as numbers go, i think the admitted average last year was 3.7/31, but the spread is fairly high (ie we have 3.3s and 3.9s, twenty-something MCATs and high thirties MCATs - and not just a few of any of those). clearly plenty of people apply with numbers that hew close to the accepted average, but the completed application -> interview success rate is only 15-20%, so obviously they are always looking beyond the numbers!

a couple more things: interview invites in recent years have started going out in August, and the season this year ran early September to late April. virtually everyone is initially waitlisted post-interview, and many of us that are now students here spent months on the waitlist before being accepted. so the waitlist here isn't necessarily a bad thing!

lastly, don't let the hybrid curriculum scare you! the quality of the basic science instruction here is outstanding, and all the resources are here for you to get a great Step score if you are willing to work hard for it. the payoff comes in the clinical years, when you will have more time to learn clinical medicine and discover the field that's right for you. also, know that this is a school that genuinely appreciates the importance of student life: many incoming students are married and/or have kids, and more get hitched and/or have kids while here (sometimes to/with each other!)

this will be a long year for you guys, but it's so so so worth it! :luck:

Wow, thanks, gravity. That post was really helpful. Made me more excited to apply here.

gravity, hows the primary care training here? I know Vermont is good with primary care...though it's supposed "ranking" has dipped a little recently. (not sure if rankings really DO count..blah)

On their website they mentioned a committee letter if you have it or 3 letters of rec...I'm not positive if my school has a committee letter. Are they asking for one or the other or is the committee what they want over the 3 individual letters of rec?

On their website they mentioned a committee letter if you have it or 3 letters of rec...I'm not positive if my school has a committee letter. Are they asking for one or the other or is the committee what they want over the 3 individual letters of rec?

Probably one over the other. Some schools mandate that you have a committee letter if your school offers it, though.

Has anyone else gotten any additional information from Vermont yet? I'm hoping to retake my MCAT in August (currently in the upper 20s, which I've checked is Vermont's bottom 10th percentile, but I'm retaking), I'm hoping they didn't see my mediocre score and decide not to send me the rest of the application! :O

Has anyone else gotten any additional information from Vermont yet? I'm hoping to retake my MCAT in August (currently in the upper 20s, which I've checked is Vermont's bottom 10th percentile, but I'm retaking), I'm hoping they didn't see my mediocre score and decide not to send me the rest of the application! :O

I haven't heard anything yet. I'll post if I do.

Nothing as well. Will post if I do. :)

Awesome. Much appreciated, guys! :)

Secondaries are out- I will post the essays when I get the chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the secondaries with no essays.

I like the secondaries with no essays.

Are you saying this school does not have essays? I have been trying to fill out the secondary, but the system keeps crashing so I have not been able to confirm.

Are you saying this school does not have essays? I have been trying to fill out the secondary, but the system keeps crashing so I have not been able to confirm.

The only essay is the proverbial "Anything additional you want us to know?" The character limit is 1000.

Good luck to everyone!:luck:

Yep, there are no essays. The only thing was if you had a criminal history to explain it or if you had speeding ticket to explain it and that was it.

Thanks, guys. I'll be filling out the additional info section personally, but that is only one essay :). :luck: to everyone!

still waiting. I did add the school later and had to resubmitt 2 weeks after my first submission so i guess waiting is cool

Yep, there are no essays. The only thing was if you had a criminal history to explain it or if you had speeding ticket to explain it and that was it.

I wonder why they would want to know if you've gotten a speeding ticket?

Wow my residency history is the most boring thing ever. I've only moved twice in my entire life (including moving to college) and have never lived more than 50 miles from where I was born :thumbdown:

Submitted! Has anyone received a "complete" status via email or through their app site? They should have all of my materials, but I can not find out if I am considered complete or not. Thanks!

Submitted! Has anyone received a "complete" status via email or through their app site? They should have all of my materials, but I can not find out if I am considered complete or not. Thanks!

Nope, I didn't get a confirmation email either

explain your speeding ticket...really?

Well to be fair, it's not a required field. I'm guessing that it's something that will show up on the background check anyway, so if you have one they're giving you a chance to address it.

Well to be fair, it's not a required field. I'm guessing that it's something that will show up on the background check anyway, so if you have one they're giving you a chance to address it.

It's optional because not everyone's had a speeding ticket, not because it's OK to leave blank if you've gotten one.

Got the application. Quesiton, Are speeding tickets a criminal offense conviction?

Got the application. Quesiton, Are speeding tickets a criminal offense conviction?

Look up your state's statute. It usually depends how much you were speeding (>40 over the limit in my state)

Submitted the secondary today! Essays for secondaries are usually so tiring, but I was still hoping to write one or two for UVM. I'm really interested in this school and was hoping to elaborate on that! Oh well, here's to crossing my fingers!

Submitted secondary yesterday! Interviewed here for entering class of 2010 (OOS) and was placed on waitlist, but increased my stats since. Hopefully get to interview here again! I really liked the school a lot and I have family just outside of Burlington!

Primary was received! I'm not sending in the rest of my app until I get my re-take score back in September. :scared:

Good luck to the rest of you guys! :)

Primary was received! I'm not sending in the rest of my app until I get my re-take score back in September. :scared:

Good luck to the rest of you guys! :)

yikes long time. Good luck brotha :thumbup:

submitted mine tonight. I really really like this school.

Guys, I saw this in last year's thread and wanted to post it here for early reference for those wondering how UVM works

So here's the outline for UVM:

1. Application Complete (your waiting in the "pool" for weeks to months)
2. Interview Invite
3. For OOS applicants, the majority of you will be waitlisted. Rejected if you REALLYYY bombed your interview.
4. Write Letter(s) of Interests or Intent (they love letters).
5. Wait Wait Wait (for a couple of weeks up to the date of orientation)
6. Keep writing LOI and call them to express your interest.
7. Accepted. Rejected if orientation passed.

Many of you will be stucked in the "pool," and many will be stucked WLed. Just wanted to give you a heads up of how UVM run their process.

think i got pooled today. status update was from 7/13. i THINK it changed from "initial review can take 6-8 weeks" to the pool one

What is the "pool" status message and what does being in the "pool" mean?
Cheers!
Sam

What is the "pool" status message and what does being in the "pool" mean?
Cheers!
Sam

I'm swimming in the pool as well.

based on last yrs thread about 3000 of 4500 returned secondary apps get placed in the 'pool' for further consideration for an interview.

the message shows up on your status page, no email was sent.

For those in the pool, when did you submit?

Hi everyone,

My primary was verified on 7/7. I still haven't gotten a secondary yet. Should I be concerned?
(Not that I'm not already buried under secondaries now, but I really actually want to go to this school, more than some others that I've applied to)

Hi everyone,

My primary was verified on 7/7. I still haven't gotten a secondary yet. Should I be concerned?
(Not that I'm not already buried under secondaries now, but I really actually want to go to this school, more than some others that I've applied to)

Same here, verified 7/8, still no secondary. The website says they've received my app and are processing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.