2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think its possible to get back in if you already declined at Minnesota. I'm guessing Minnesota gave your spot to someone else as soon as you declined. You should call the adcom people at Minnesota to be sure though.

I am wondering why you had such a sudden complete change in heart though.

The short answer: living arrangements.

Finding a decent place in Madison feels hopeless, and I could've lived at home in Minnesota. But I got scared of a 12-mile commute.

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer: living arrangements.

Finding a decent place in Madison feels hopeless, and I could've lived at home in Minnesota. But I got scared of a 12-mile commute.

There are still lots of nice apartments here in Madison. Look at some of the places on Sheboygan avenue; I love Iiving in this area and it's a quick 8 min bus ride to the hslc.

Waitlist update guys, I called them a few hours ago and they have accepted #21 off the list.

Adjust your hopes accordingly:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called lately about the waitlist? If you get offered a spot from the waitlist, how much time do they give you to decide? Do they tell you about financial aid, too?

Has anyone called lately about the waitlist? If you get offered a spot from the waitlist, how much time do they give you to decide? Do they tell you about financial aid, too?

I was #24 and just got accepted an hour ago. Best of luck to #25 and up, don't lose hope:xf:

When they call you to tell you you are accepted, they ask you right away if you think you will be attending. However if you are not sure I imagine you can tell them "I want some time to think about it".

I was also told in the phone call that they need you to return forms and stuff by mid June. So I assume they want to know if you are attending before mid-June. I would imagine they would give you at least week or maybe two to decide if you want to attend, but I'm just guessing here. You should give their office a call and just ask, they have been exceptionally nice and informative every time I called them.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I was #24 and just got accepted an hour ago. Best of luck to #25 and up, don't lose hope:xf:

When they call you to tell you you are accepted, they ask you right away if you think you will be attending. However if you are not sure I imagine you can tell them "I want some time to think about it".

I was also told in the phone call that they need you to return forms and stuff by mid June. So I assume they want to know if you are attending before mid-June. I would imagine they would give you at least week or maybe two to decide if you want to attend, but I'm just guessing here. You should give their office a call and just ask, they have been exceptionally nice and informative every time I called them.

Thanks for the info! I was #30 and if I am accepted I would be deciding between here and Brown, which would be a very difficult decision. I love Brown, but tuition is 48K and I am a Wisconsin resident...

Congrats on the acceptances! I'll be applying this cycle and was wondering what the average GPA/MCAT seems to be for in-state applicants

IRASNA: Around a 3.7 and a 31 I think.

Those seem about right.

Last edited:
Last year it was about 3.75/32; not sure about this year but I believe it's higher.

Anyone else get in off the wait list? It's been two weeks since the last person said they got in.

Anyone else get in off the wait list? It's been two weeks since the last person said they got in.

No, but I got a letter from them saying that the class was full, and I was no longer needed on the wait list. I had a really bad ranking though (>50). So if you did not get that, maybe you still have a shot?

No, but I got a letter from them saying that the class was full, and I was no longer needed on the wait list. I had a really bad ranking though (>50). So if you did not get that, maybe you still have a shot?

Same here, OOS, #7

Im sorry to hear that :(, hopefully you've had better luck with other schools!

I was just straight waitlisted (not placed on extended review) and got a letter a couple months ago saying that I was too low on the WL for further consideration.

I wonder where the approximate cut offs were.....Were you placed on extended review prior to being waitlisted? (are you IS or OOS?) I am really curious to see what happened to those who were placed on extended review.

Also any chance you would PM me a more narrow range for your WL spot number(50-55 or 50-65, etc)...... if not no worries!

Anyone else who was on extended review want to share what happened to them?
(WL spot#/accepted/etc.)

I was just straight waitlisted (not placed on extended review) and got a letter a couple months ago saying that I was too low on the WL for further consideration.

I wonder where the approximate cut offs were.....Were you placed on extended review prior to being waitlisted? (are you IS or OOS?) I am really curious to see what happened to those who were placed on extended review.

Also any chance you would PM me a more narrow range for your WL spot number(50-55 or 50-65, etc)...... if not no worries!

(WL spot#/accepted/etc.)
I got the same letter in march about being too low on the waitlist. I was told by Becky in an advising meeting that originally there were a little over a hundred on the WL, and about ~70 to the end received the march rejection

(WL spot#/accepted/etc.)

I have another acceptance and a position on another waitlist, so I will be okay (although of course going to UW would have been great).

I was IS and straight waitlisted, no extended review - interviewed in February (submitted my secondary the final day it was due). I was ranked 83 on the waitlist, lol, so it does go at least that high. Not sure what the other poster was saying about cutting off around 70. I probably would have fared better if I had submitted my application earlier than the last possible day. Alas ...

I have another acceptance and a position on another waitlist, so I will be okay (although of course going to UW would have been great).

I was IS and straight waitlisted, no extended review - interviewed in February (submitted my secondary the final day it was due). I was ranked 83 on the waitlist, lol, so it does go at least that high. Not sure what the other poster was saying about cutting off around 70. I probably would have fared better if I had submitted my application earlier than the last possible day. Alas ...
yeah those were the approximations Becky Duffy gave me when I met with her post-waitlist rejection. she said something along the lines of "the most we've ever taken off the IS waitlist is a little over 30, so we are pretty confident we won't need 70 and up". i thought she was saying that anyone ranked over 70 had gotten that march rejection, but I guess it was fewer than that, she must have just been saying that they were confident they wouldn't end up going even that far.

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good way to refresh your memory on biochemistry in preparation for Madison? (Books, online tutorials...)

I took biochemistry a long time ago and the admissions staff determined that as a result of three different courses I had the background for biochem. So I'm not really sure what's most important or useful for first year and I don't even have my old books anymore.

I wouldn't bother but if you insist, high yield biochem.

Does anyone know a good way to refresh your memory on biochemistry in preparation for Madison? (Books, online tutorials...)

I took biochemistry a long time ago and the admissions staff determined that as a result of three different courses I had the background for biochem. So I'm not really sure what's most important or useful for first year and I don't even have my old books anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.