2011-2012 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's tough but you guys who haven't heard anything yet have just got to be patient. I submitted in mid-August, was put on hold at the end of October, and then received my interview invite in late November. (that's 3 months). I am OOS and don't have numbers to brag about.

So keep your head up and try to keep yourself busy so you don't go crazy!

It's good to know that there is *some* hope still, but I'm wondering now if they just do mass-rejections? How did you find out you were on hold?

Members don't see this ad.

Got an acceptance yesterday! IS/32/3.8/interview 11/11/11!!!! :love: Can't explain how excited I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck interviewees and future classmates!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

that's a pretty fast turnaround too! less than a month. If you don't mind my asking, how long did they tell you to expect??

@ironhorse3 .... agreed. i would like to know how long they told you to wait? I interviewed 11.18.11.

also @Bubbly0606 ... CONGRATS! :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an acceptance yesterday! IS/32/3.8/interview 11/11/11!!!! :love: Can't explain how excited I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck interviewees and future classmates!

CONGRATS! That is awesome!

@ironhorse3 .... agreed. i would like to know how long they told you to wait? I interviewed 11.18.11.

also @Bubbly0606 ... CONGRATS! :D :D

I interviewd the same day as bubbly0606 and they told us to expect 6-8 weeks. They said something to the effect of, "you could be the best candidate the world has ever seen, but that you still wouldn't hear back for at least a month minimum wait". However, apparently bubbly0606 got lucky and heard a lot quicker.

I am still waiting myself, but I live in California and I have to wait for the mail to cross the country before I get to hear.

I interviewd the same day as bubbly0606 and they told us to expect 6-8 weeks. They said something to the effect of, "you could be the best candidate the world has ever seen, but that you still wouldn't hear back for at least a month minimum wait". However, apparently bubbly0606 got lucky and heard a lot quicker.

I am still waiting myself, but I live in California and I have to wait for the mail to cross the country before I get to hear.

I'm still waiting too!

It's a total lottery... I got really, really, really, lucky! It's about how fast your interviewer makes their comments, when your name gets drawn in the lottery for review (once everything is complete it is a lottery btw). It should take 4-6 weeks. If it's been 8 weeks you should contact them.

It's a total lottery... I got really, really, really, lucky! It's about how fast your interviewer makes their comments, when your name gets drawn in the lottery for review (once everything is complete it is a lottery btw). It should take 4-6 weeks. If it's been 8 weeks you should contact them.
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how good are your ECs? I'm an IS applicant with pretty good GPA/MCAT, but my ECs are fairly lackluster... I'm really worried that that's going to hold me back.

It's good to know that there is *some* hope still, but I'm wondering now if they just do mass-rejections? How did you find out you were on hold?

I got a short e-mail saying:

"The Admissions Committee has reviewed your AMCAS and secondary applications.
They have decided not to invite you for an interview at this time, but would like to hold your application for a possible interview at a later date.

You may not hear from us for some time, probably not until January or February, when the Admissions Committee has made their final decision. Please note that we are not able to accept any updates to your application during this time."

Guess they reviewed me before Jan/Feb.

Congrats! Hopefully I can join the party soon enough.

I haven't been following this thread as much, but have any OOS been accepted yet? I know a handful of OOSers have had interviews already.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, how good are your ECs? I'm an IS applicant with pretty good GPA/MCAT, but my ECs are fairly lackluster... I'm really worried that that's going to hold me back.

I'm nontrad, so I've had a lot of time to beef up my app ECs. Two patient related volunteer assignments and a job in clinical research for two year. With that said, who knows what they exactly look for. I swear some of the process is just old fashion good luck. Hope everything turns out well for you! GO BUCKY!

Congrats!! looks like we'll be classmates next year!

I interviewed at MCW last week and I talked to quite a few WI residents that had also interviewed at UW earlier in the season, and every. single. person. was put on extended review, or rejected. I know of one person who has been accepted.

It would make this a lot easier if I knew what UW was looking for and I didn't quite fit the mold and that's why I was put under extended review, but it sounds like all different kinds of people are getting acceptances. Such a disappointment when you can't even count on your home school and alma mater for some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at MCW last week and I talked to quite a few WI residents that had also interviewed at UW earlier in the season, and every. single. person. was put on extended review, or rejected. I know of one person who has been accepted.

It would make this a lot easier if I knew what UW was looking for and I didn't quite fit the mold and that's why I was put under extended review, but it sounds like all different kinds of people are getting acceptances. Such a disappointment when you can't even count on your home school and alma mater for some love.

A couple of us that were there also got put on pre-interview holds. I didn't meet any WI residents that had been accepted.

hi all,

so i decided to stay an extra day to walk around the town...even though it will be the dead of winter lol. any suggestions as to what part of town i should walk around in? favorite coffee shops, diners?

I really like Steep & Brew on state street. If you're coming up state street from campus, it's about 2-3 blocks up on the left.

As for food; it's definitely not gourmet, but if you're going to be a student in Madison you've got to eat Ian's Pizza. If you're not familiar with the area, the best one to go to is the one all the way at the end of state street near the capitol on the right hand side (if you're coming up towards the capitol).

If you're looking to grab a drink, there are a lot of bars around. I like the Old Fashioned, which is on the square (the square block that goes around the capitol). You can get a lot of different cock-tails there. They also have a gigantic micro-brew selection there, and also have pretty good food.

It's a shame they don't have interviews during the summer so you could see the Union when it's busy. There's also union south, which is brand new and also pretty cool; but it's nothing like the old union on the lake, which is about the most amazing place to be during the summer time.

Got the call from Dr. Krause today! Accepted to the WARM program! Super excited! Thanks to everyone posting on the forums, its been a huge help throughout the entire process. If anyone has any questions about the interview for WARM, or Madison in general, feel free to PM me.

As far as stats go. . . In State, 3.64, 32R. I did my undergrad out of state, and have (what I consider) pretty good ECs. Feel free to contact me if you would like details.

My interview was on 11/11. I was told that the admissions committee had met yesterday (for those interested) :), and that my letter was sent out today. So good luck to others!

So, is it too early to start a UW SMPH Class of 2016 Facebook page and SDN forum topic??? :rolleyes:

hi all,

so i decided to stay an extra day to walk around the town...even though it will be the dead of winter lol. any suggestions as to what part of town i should walk around in? favorite coffee shops, diners?

I would recommend barriques either on Monroe or west wash for coffee shops. For food, some nice places I like include the icon on state st (tapas) The great Dane brew pub, and dotty's (best burgers in Madison!)

I would recommend barriques either on Monroe or west wash for coffee shops. For food, some nice places I like include the icon on state st (tapas) The great Dane brew pub, and dotty's (best burgers in Madison!)

Eh, I would try 8 seasons on west main if you're looking for the best burger in Madison. It's a small place that's kind of hidden (you'll probably walk past it even if you're looking for it), but they have amazing quality stuff and you build your burger from the patty up. My favorite is grilled onions, grilled green peppers, feta cheese mixed in with the patty and a fried egg and bacon on top. OH GOD!

Eh, I would try 8 seasons on west main if you're looking for the best burger in Madison. It's a small place that's kind of hidden (you'll probably walk past it even if you're looking for it), but they have amazing quality stuff and you build your burger from the patty up. My favorite is grilled onions, grilled green peppers, feta cheese mixed in with the patty and a fried egg and bacon on top. OH GOD!

I will have to check it out! Graze's burger is pretty good too!

So, I created a Facebook group for the UW SMPH Class of 2016 so everyone can introduce themselves, share info (Madison, housing, restaurants, stores, things for kids to do, etc), and get to know one another.

Can't wait for August!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/286530858049738/

Last edited:
Hello everyone:
I just got my acceptance letter and I'm extremely excited!!!! Interviewed 11/11... IS, competitive GPA/MCAT, & good extracurricular activities (volunteered at a clinic, hospital, did research, & various other non-clinical ECs).

Looking forward to meeting you guys :D.

Hello everyone:
I just got my acceptance letter and I'm extremely excited!!!! Interviewed 11/11... IS, competitive GPA/MCAT, & good extracurricular activities (volunteered at a clinic, hospital, did research, & various other non-clinical ECs).

Looking forward to meeting you guys :D.

Congrats!!! How exciting!

Congrats Soler!

I interviewed 11/18 and I'm hoping to hear back soon! eee!

Are there people who interviewed 11/18 or earlier who have not heard back regarding acceptance versus waitlist versus extended review?

I interviewed 11/18. Haven't heard anything as of today. But a friend of mine who interviewed with me on 11/18 heard back with an acceptance. :)

Are there people who interviewed 11/18 or earlier who have not heard back regarding acceptance versus waitlist versus extended review?

I interviewed 11/4 and still haven't heard back... this waiting is killing me!!!!!

Sounds like they're being a lot more generous with the acceptances for more recent interviews than they were with the first few.

Sounds like they're being a lot more generous with the acceptances for more recent interviews than they were with the first few.

Lets hope it stays that way since I interview on Friday!! :)

I just received the Extended Review email :( I am very disappointed, UW is my #1. Interviewed 11/18 and it went very well (interviewer even told me that). Has anyone been accepted off of the Extended Review yet???

I just received the Extended Review email :( I am very disappointed, UW is my #1. Interviewed 11/18 and it went very well (interviewer even told me that). Has anyone been accepted off of the Extended Review yet???

That's better than being flat out rejected or waitlisted! It means they aren't quite sure if they are ready to accept you. If you do get on the waitlist, I would expect you be higher than people who were immediately waitlisted. =]

That's better than being flat out rejected or waitlisted! It means they aren't quite sure if they are ready to accept you. If you do get on the waitlist, I would expect you be higher than people who were immediately waitlisted. =]
I hope! Thanks for the advice :)

Had my interview today. Everyone was very nice and excited to have us there. My only downer of the day was that although they told us our interviewer wouldn't have or grades or mcat, mine did and was asking me about certain grades. It may be different since I applied to the warm program. My interviewer told me that the rest of my application was good except parts of my gpa and am therefore "on the bubble". Better than being completely rejected but still tough. I would love to go to uw though!

Yep, that was because you were applying for WARM. Sorry for not giving you a heads-up.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED AFTER BEING PLACED ON EXTENDED REVIEW NOVEMBER 22. I'm OOS with good but not great numbers.

THERE IS HOPE, PEOPLE!!!!

PS: Also, I am totally going. I've been to nine interviews all over the place and this is my favorite school so far, by far.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED AFTER BEING PLACED ON EXTENDED REVIEW NOVEMBER 22. I'm OOS with good but not great numbers.

THERE IS HOPE, PEOPLE!!!!

PS: Also, I am totally going. I've been to nine interviews all over the place and this is my favorite school so far, by far.
Congrats! I interviewed here 11/22. This is easily my #1 school, so hopefully we'll be in the same class!

Got the acceptance letter on Monday. Interviewed 11/18! Good luck everyone!

So I'm an ISS and UW grad with a good GPA (3.93 cum, 3.88 sci) but a mediocre MCAT (32M - 10VR, 10PS, 12 BS). I'd say UW would be in my top 2 or 3 schools. Do you guys think its worth it to retake my MCAT to improve my chances or should I pay more attention to getting more volunteer hours/shadowing doctors? Also, does anyone know how much attention UW pays to the writing score?

So I'm an ISS and UW grad with a good GPA (3.93 cum, 3.88 sci) but a mediocre MCAT (32M - 10VR, 10PS, 12 BS). I'd say UW would be in my top 2 or 3 schools. Do you guys think its worth it to retake my MCAT to improve my chances or should I pay more attention to getting more volunteer hours/shadowing doctors? Also, does anyone know how much attention UW pays to the writing score?

I wouldn't consider that score mediocre, it's about average for Uw. I would definitely focus on volunteering/shadowing and maybe some research, did you go to Uw?

Yes, graduated almost exactly a year ago. For research, I have one publication and another one on the way (hopefully).

Find some interesting volunteer work. Something to make your application stand out. It seems to me that UW really likes unique applicants. As an IS applicant your MCAT score should be more than enough. Good luck!

I got the call from Dr. Crouse yesterday too! I'm ECSTATIC! So pumped to be a Badger again!

Yes, graduated almost exactly a year ago. For research, I have one publication and another one on the way (hopefully).

Writing score isn't a big deal. You sound like a solid candidate stat-wise, I'd focus on your ECs.

I did an exit interview with UW last year and they said that they are really big into having direct patient contact experience. They emphasized the fact that they are the only school of medicine AND public health so PH experience is huge for them. Otherwise, I know they love UW students and your stats fall right into their range so I would say you have a great shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.