2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody that sent in a letter of intent, did you address/send it to the director of admissions or the dean of admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

There's two interviews: one short and one long. The long interviewer only has access to your AMCAS application, while the short interviewer only has your name.

Thank-you so much. That clarifies things. I wonder why they ask you your autobiography for the secondary and then not give the interviewers this info to use for further questions/clarifications. Anyway, thanks again!

So, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to hear anything from Vandy ever again...other than active review emails. It's just been so long.....

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to hear anything from Vandy ever again...other than active review emails. It's just been so long.....

I feel your pain, Cinclus and kduck. Does anybody know if we're expecting decisions to go out tonight?

I just hope the reason it's taking so long is because they're deciding between acceptance or wait list (hopefully they decide acceptance!), and not wait list or rejection haha

I feel your pain, Cinclus and kduck. Does anybody know if we're expecting decisions to go out tonight?

Most likely next Sunday (this year seems a week behind last years schedule, based on last years forum). Since interviews ended this Friday, hopefully they have more time to sift through the Active Review applicants. No guarantees I guess.

Accepted sometime last week (not sure exactly when since I was out of the country). Interviewed 12/6. Just thought I'd let you all know since everybody seems pretty frustrated at this point and wants as much info as possible.

Does anyone know how many rounds of acceptances have gone out at this point?

Accepted sometime last week (not sure exactly when since I was out of the country). Interviewed 12/6. Just thought I'd let you all know since everybody seems pretty frustrated at this point and wants as much info as possible.

Appreciate the info! I, along with others on my interview date (Dec. 13th), have not heard back yet. So, it seems to me like the next round of acceptances will most likely be regarding interview dates ranging from mid to late December to early January (just speculating).

What this may also mean is that their turn-around times are also shortening (last Vandy forum update said 12-16 week decision time)... maybe we're talking more like a 8-10 week decision time now, since interviews are over. Who knows... again, just taking an educated guess.

So guys, keep your hopes up! Best of luck to everyone:luck::xf:

Last edited:
I interviewed on 10/30 and still haven't heard back other than an active review email. I don't understand how it can take over 3.5 months to evaluate my application.

I interviewed on 10/30 and still haven't heard back other than an active review email. I don't understand how it can take over 3.5 months to evaluate my application.

Join the club! I interviewed on September 23rd. :xf:

no news is good news? not rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am at 17 or 18. I'm betting I will hear from non-rolling schools first, actually. I heard from every other rolling school by mid-December. This is pretty stunning, particularly for those of you who are at 20+.

20 weeks here. le sigh.

Tomorrow will officially be 26 weeks for me :banana:

This week is 21 weeks for us! :highfive:
But you guys received some sort of communication from Vandy, right? Like a "app under continual review" email or something of that sort? I was referring to receiving my first communication after my interview. I hope it will be an actual admissions decision but if it a "continual review" email, I'll take what I can get haha.

But you guys received some sort of communication from Vandy, right? Like a "app under continual review" email or something of that sort? I was referring to receiving my first communication after my interview. I hope it will be an actual admissions decision but if it a "continual review" email, I'll take what I can get haha.

Good luck to you! But I didn't receive the active review email until after 12 weeks, so based on your interview date I still got you beat :D

At least I'm winning at something!

A few of us 20+ -weekers got two of the active review emails.

I've been following this forum for a while. Hang in there folks, it's been 19 weeks since my interview as well...

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just wanted to say, I thought that the students and staff were all really nice when I met them. I also called in recently and Dr. Sagen spent a while with me on the phone and answered all my questions.

I hope you guys hear back soon, and good luck!! :luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Do we actually know that or is this just speculation?

Technically speculation. BUT I think people have posted that meetings are Friday. When I called them they say meetings are every Friday. Hopefully we get calls this Sunday. We'll see!

Technically speculation. BUT I think people have posted that meetings are Friday. When I called them they say meetings are every Friday. Hopefully we get calls this Sunday. We'll see!

Until Sunday...I'll continue to dream

This....small sample size and they Interview 1000 people and accept probably 200-250 so, odds aren't good lol

That's certainly conceivable. But for every other admissions day (including those of past forums), some one has eventually come forward and announced their admissions news.

If within a day or two nobody comes forward, than maybe there really was no admissions this weekend.

There should still be like 2-3 admissions days left right? I think this weekend would have been the 7th. They have to announce sometime in March, so the end is in sight I suppose.

Along with the recent curriculum changes, will there also be changes in the style of instruction (e.g. more team-based learning, less in-class lecture time, more frequent exams/quizzes)?

That's certainly conceivable. But for every other admissions day (including those of past forums), some one has eventually come forward and announced their admissions news.

If within a day or two nobody comes forward, than maybe there really was no admissions this weekend.

There should still be like 2-3 admissions days left right? I think this weekend would have been the 7th. They have to announce sometime in March, so the end is in sight I suppose.

I didn't know this. That's good to know, because I'm tired of waiting on a decision.

Not exactly.

According to AAMC Traffic rules:

AAMC said:
4. By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services.

So they'll only need to give out enough acceptances to equal the size of their first year class by the end of March.

Not exactly.

According to AAMC Traffic rules:

So they'll only need to give out enough acceptances to equal the size of their first year class by the end of March.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know the above either. I was referring to what the admissions said about admitting 10 times by the end of March. But again, that statement came from the same guys that brought you "6-8 weeks."

Hey everyone, for those who were wondering whether the committee met this past weekend, I can't say for sure, but I did get a call and an acceptance offer from Dean Zic today.

Interviewed in mid-December. Accounting for the office closing over winter break, I'd say the turnover was ~6-7 weeks. Hope this helps - best of luck to everyone.

Hey everyone, for those who were wondering whether the committee met this past weekend, I can't say for sure, but I did get a call and an acceptance offer from Dean Zic today.

Interviewed in mid-December. Accounting for the office closing over winter break, I'd say the turnover was ~6-7 weeks. Hope this helps - best of luck to everyone.

Thanks so much for letting us know :), I for one was going crazy not knowing if they had contacted any applicants!

What was your interview date?

Congrats!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I interviewed in early December, and still waiting to hear back :scared::scared:

When you said you got the call "today" did you mean you got the call Monday afternoon?

Congrats!! Nice to hear good news on hear again! Good luck y'all:luck:

Thanks! Yes, I got the call on Monday afternoon (i.e., earlier today). I imagine they will keep rolling out decisions in the coming weeks, so don't give up hope just yet. One of my other schools gave me an offer after about 4 months, so there is definitely a decent chance despite a long wait.

I work at Vanderbilt and am currently waiting on that phone call too...
Interviewed Dec. 5th - and I haven't received anything yet. No emails or letters, zip.

It's so painful to receive late night calls from Vanderbilt numbers, thinking it could be Dr. Zic, but they turn out to be something else Vanderbilt related- like a test of their AlertVU system or a call from my lab. Aaaaargh.

Did most of you guys at least get in somewhere else? I would assume that since you all interviewed at Vanderbilt, you'd have at least some other option. How are you handling those (housing and such) if you have Vandy as your first choice?

Good luck and fingers crossed.

Second Look emails went out today! How many SDN kids do we have going?

Status
Not open for further replies.