2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second Look emails went out today! How many SDN kids do we have going?

Me Me!!! Can't wait! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too!! just accepted this monday. dean zic called :D interviewed Jan 6th

i haven't gotten the second look invite yet. maybe my email account is just being slow

Last edited:
So I guess since second look emails just came out that there are going to be very little spots left... anyone think there will be calls today?

So I guess since second look emails just came out that there are going to be very little spots left... anyone think there will be calls today?

i think calls are every other sunday, two went out monday so, next weekend I think.

I'll be there too.

I won't be going, but everyone says that their Second Look party is the best! Too bad Vandy chose a high-traffic weekend for their Second Look (with Columbia, Stanford, Hopkins, WashU, etc); it was a little painful to send my regrets this morning. :(

I won't be going, but everyone says that their Second Look party is the best! Too bad Vandy chose a high-traffic weekend for their Second Look (with Columbia, Stanford, Hopkins, WashU, etc); it was a little painful to send my regrets this morning. :(

im curious, if ur not attending second look, does this mean you also turned down the acceptance as well? or are you still considering vandy?

In a similar conundrum, Percy. Though I feel I'd be most swayed by Vanderbilt then all others so haven't RSVPeed as of yet...

i decided to decline for the same reason. i will be revisiting Vanderbilt and Nashville another weekend, but I'm sad I'll be missing the official second look!

If you're on the fence about attending Second Look, I would say DEFINITELY go! I was in a similar situation last year, trying to decide between two schools whose Second Looks were on the same weekend (ended up going to both haha, long story), but Vandy's event was amazing and really solidified my decision to matriculate here. There are great dinners, people go downtown every night so you get a pretty good feel for Nashville, great entertainment, etc. Last year they also let us finally tour the famed gorgeous anatomy lab and let us go on a "backstage pass" on a specialty of interest with a prominent faculty member. Plus, it's a great way to meet your potential new classmates/roommates/bffs!

pics from last year's event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vusm/sets/72157629064338230/

If you're on the fence about attending Second Look, I would say DEFINITELY go! I was in a similar situation last year, trying to decide between two schools whose Second Looks were on the same weekend (ended up going to both haha, long story), but Vandy's event was amazing and really solidified my decision to matriculate here. There are great dinners, people go downtown every night so you get a pretty good feel for Nashville, great entertainment, etc. Last year they also let us finally tour the famed gorgeous anatomy lab and let us go on a "backstage pass" on a specialty of interest with a prominent faculty member. Plus, it's a great way to meet your potential new classmates/roommates/bffs!

pics from last year's event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vusm/sets/72157629064338230/

:love::love::love:

Members don't see this ad :)
im curious, if ur not attending second look, does this mean you also turned down the acceptance as well? or are you still considering vandy?

No, I haven't turned down the acceptance, and I haven't made any decisions yet. Vandy is wonderful, but I thought my decision would be better informed by attending two other Second Looks that would've essentially been a trade-off with a trip to Nashville.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like fun. I even recognize some of the students from my visit.

One question though, why are they still wearing suits?

Thanks for sharing! Looks like fun. I even recognize some of the students from my visit.

One question though, why are they still wearing suits?

That was the first thing I checked for also. I'm just going to wear a dress shirt, tie, and slacks or khakis the whole time. I'll bring a suit just in case and probably wear the jacket or another blazer at the dinner like the letter states.

Last edited:
One of the days was business (/business casual) dress - partly because people are going through the hospital/campus, I think.

I would like to fast-forward time to April 13th then breeze on to July 18th :D

For anyone interested, a Vanderbilt neurosurgeon appeared on The Doctors this morning explaining how he and his team repaired an internal decapitation. I believe it even inspired a Grey's Anatomy episode as well. It's pretty remarkable what the medical profession can accomplish! Here's a link with more details: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/houseorga...rgery-saves-womans-life/#.T01cmNIS6k8.twitter

I would like to fast-forward time to April 13th then breeze on to July 18th :D

I'm right there with you! But then again, I wouldn't mind a little more time for a vacation. :laugh:

For anyone interested, a Vanderbilt neurosurgeon appeared on The Doctors this morning explaining how he and his team repaired an internal decapitation. I believe it even inspired a Grey's Anatomy episode as well. It's pretty remarkable what the medical profession can accomplish! Here's a link with more details: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/houseorga...rgery-saves-womans-life/#.T01cmNIS6k8.twitter

I'm right there with you! But then again, I wouldn't mind a little more time for a vacation. :laugh:

Wow! Cool stuff! My kind of medicine:love:

(ditto on the vacation)

So what do you guys think are some possible options if you still want to visit but can't make it to Second Look?

So what do you guys think are some possible options if you still want to visit but can't make it to Second Look?
I am in that position and am simply visiting at another time. I would pick a time you want to go to Nashville and then contact the Admissions Office about the visit. They have been very receptive to me.

Anyone interview on Feb 10 remember when we should hear back??? It was the last interview day. I'm worried. Ahhh.

Anyone interview on Feb 10 remember when we should hear back??? It was the last interview day. I'm worried. Ahhh.

It's been over 5 months for me, and I was told we would hear back in 6-8 weeks, or something like that. So, your worrying may be justified.

Anyone else worried watching the news today? Tornadoes in Nashville.....:scared:

Anyone else worried watching the news today? Tornadoes in Nashville.....:scared:

I hear you Cinclus. I got a "still reviewing you" email in Jan so I hate to bug them but it's been sooooo loooong.

The VU hospitals went to orange alert but as far as I know there weren't touchdowns. Indiana caught some really bad stuff though :(

Doesn't look like it... seems like lately they've been trickling calls early in the week rather than calling on Sunday.

Also, I called the admissions office the other day and they said that they were trying to wrap-up all admission decisions this month, which means that they could be holding off on admission decisions until they review the remaining interviewees. Just a thought.

Thanks for letting us know!

I hate that I can no longer confine my paranoia to Sunday nights, though. :(

Kduck my friend, it has been a very long time since we interviewed here together and I'm glad I had someone to share the uncertainty with, but I couldn't stand the silence any longer and withdrew my application. Good luck to you and all the good folks still waiting to hear back, and congrats to those accepted!

Kduck my friend, it has been a very long time since we interviewed here together and I'm glad I had someone to share the uncertainty with, but I couldn't stand the silence any longer and withdrew my application. Good luck to you and all the good folks still waiting to hear back, and congrats to those accepted!

Congrats! I wish I could do the same, but I'm not ready yet - Vanderbilt has all the qualities I'm looking for in a school right now (except the loving me, apparently).

Congrats! I wish I could do the same, but I'm not ready yet - Vanderbilt has all the qualities I'm looking for in a school right now (except the loving me, apparently).

Congrats!!

As much as I'm happy for those of you who are already accepted, it saddens me to realize that another week has gone by for me without the call whenever I see a happy post like this. :(

Congrats!!

As much as I'm happy for those of you who are already accepted, it saddens me to realize that another week has gone by for me without the call whenever I see a happy post like this. :(

kduck is in Vanderbilt purgatory, just like I am, so don't get too sad 'n jelly. :)

Congrats!!

I was posting about wishing I could get off all my remaining waitlists. I am in Vanderbilt-purgatory (since September 6?) like so many, as Cinclus says.

kduck is in Vanderbilt purgatory, just like I am, so don't get too sad 'n jelly. :)

I love how you guys are describing our shared agony as purgatory. Guess I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one :oops:

This is probably premed over analysis, but does it feel like there are fewer people reporting acceptance each time? Past few time we only had like one person report anything. Are they accepting fewer people each time?

This is probably premed over analysis, but does it feel like there are fewer people reporting acceptance each time? Past few time we only had like one person report anything. Are they accepting fewer people each time?

maybe that's a good thing? if they're accepting fewer each time that could mean there's more spots left than if they were accepting the same amount each time?

Anybody else having a ridiculously hard time picking a 2nd choice school?

maybe that's a good thing? if they're accepting fewer each time that could mean there's more spots left than if they were accepting the same amount each time?

Anybody else having a ridiculously hard time picking a 2nd choice school?

I think what's happening is as they run out of spots, they are more and more reluctant to choose individual candidates to give them to (because we are clearly all amazing), so we all sit here amongst the fire and brimstone, waiting for deliverance.

They said on phone that all decisions go out by end of month. 3 more weeks to go. Everyone get letters so I suppose we wait for that. Chances prolly slim at this point.

Vanderbilt is quite slow or maybe their review is longer because they now have to read all those long secondary essays and LORs. I just my hope my short interview doesn't screw me over. Really hoping for a positive response here. :xf:

Are there students on the admissions committee at Vanderbilt? Or involved with interviews, etc?

There aren't any student interviewers, but there are students on the admissions committee that are involved in the discussion of your application.

Interviewed Mid December and just received a letter in the mail stating that I was reviewed at a recent committee meeting...some compliments...and then that they are not offering an immediate invitation but will be reconsidering my application throughout the admissions season.

Heartbreaking....

But, here's to hoping, and here's to being thankful for the many blessings I have had this season!

Good Luck to everyone else still waiting for news!!!! :)

Interviewed Mid December and just received a letter in the mail stating that I was reviewed at a recent committee meeting...some compliments...and then that they are not offering an immediate invitation but will be reconsidering my application throughout the admissions season.

Heartbreaking....

But, here's to hoping, and here's to being thankful for the many blessings I have had this season!

Good Luck to everyone else still waiting for news!!!! :)

Same thing for me. Interviewed at around the same time so they must be seriously considering you purgatory people.

Status
Not open for further replies.