2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

.This is Dr. Sagen's response to my inquiry. "You are on our wait list but we do not reveal placement. By the second week of June we will release many on our wait list to let each know that it is no longer possible to matriculate at VUSM."

Her second response to another email was that "
.being on the wait list means that when we invite we include the wait listed as well as the most recently reviewed applicants coming out of the ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE MTG."..

.So I am not sure what to make of it. The first makes it sound as if they do rank but they just don't tell us where we are. But the second makes it seems as if they do not officially rank but simply re-review the applicants at each meeting.

Thoughts? Or has anyone else asked the admissions office this question?

Invite...for acceptance? I know they supposedly accept 20 at each committee meeting, so I guess that means they consider waitlisted and people that haven't been looked at yet at committee meetings. I wonder how much waitlist movement they generally have.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invite...for acceptance? I know they supposedly accept 20 at each committee meeting, so I guess that means they consider waitlisted and people that haven't been looked at yet at committee meetings. I wonder how much waitlist movement they generally have.

When I called the admissions office to get clarification about the letter that's what it sounded like to me too. The woman in the admissions office (just wanna give a shout out to Vandy admissions since I've called probably 5 times in last couple months and they have the nicest admissions staff I've dealt with yet) I talked to today made it sound like we will still be reviewed before it's all said and done and that this isn't like most wait-lists where we will not hear until all other acceptees have responded.

She said we will be reconsidered and might hear before May 15th and their goal for giving us a more clear answer was mid-June. That sounds in line with Dr. Sagen's email and hope it clears things up.

Waitlisted. Do you have any idea what to do next? Vand is my first choice school and I really want to go there.

Do y'all know if all first round admissions have been given out? I counted 9 admissions so far, maybe on more coming. But I could be wrong.

Missed a call from Tennessee. Tried calling back, call kept dropping. Looked up vandy's number, wrong area code. Freaking telemarketers teasing me...

Members don't see this ad :)
+3. Were any of you guys recent interviews? Maybe they just haven't reviewed us yet? (interviewed 1/23)

Interviewed 1/31. Guessing if they reviewed me they reviewed you. Unless one of the people looking at your application is just taking a really long time. Not the most likely scenario.

.This is Dr. Sagen's response to my inquiry. "You are on our wait list but we do not reveal placement. By the second week of June we will release many on our wait list to let each know that it is no longer possible to matriculate at VUSM."

Her second response to another email was that "
.being on the wait list means that when we invite we include the wait listed as well as the most recently reviewed applicants coming out of the ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE MTG."..

.So I am not sure what to make of it. The first makes it sound as if they do rank but they just don't tell us where we are. But the second makes it seems as if they do not officially rank but simply re-review the applicants at each meeting.

Thoughts? Or has anyone else asked the admissions office this question?

This is what I have heard from fellow friends that go to Vanderbilt about the admissions process. For example, say 100 people interview in August. Vanderbilt will accept the top 5, reject the bottom 5, and push the remaining 90 into the next month. The cycle will repeat again, acceptances to the top 5, rejects to the bottom 5, and the rest are pushed on to the next month. My numbers are just for this example.

The people that receive those acceptances should be the cream of the crop (I like to think of an ivy league grad with ridiculous EC's and perfect GPA and MCAT). In some cases, these people may not even decide to attend Vanderbilt, because they might have gotten into an even higher tier school. Yet, they have sent in their deposit and have confirmed their acceptance. This won't change until the final drop date.

I've gotten the waitlisted (Reviewed you, not accepting you yet, but will re-review you later) letter. Although it's frustrating, I wouldn't start to feel like acceptances have been settled until that final decision date. Keep on hoping and crossing your fingers, toes, and eyes!

Just got a call from home that says I got a letter from Vandy...probably means either waitlist or rejection....That just ruined my day....

If I didn't blow my short interview, I possibly would've been accepted outright. I can just imagine the two reports from my two interviewers being quite inconsistent.

Interviewer A: He was nervous, showed no composure and very stupid.

Interviewer B: Mr. XYZ strikes me as a confident and very intelligent student.

Admissions Committee: Hmm, probably a bipolar student.

Vandy should seriously get rid of the short interview. However, it was a good learning experience for me.

Just opened the envelope...waitlisted....Interviewed on Dec 1.

Never got "active review" e mail...Is this Vandy's nice way of saying "you're rejected?"

Has anyone got in after receiving the snail-mail waitlist letter?

To clear some things up... Last year Vandy had the waitlist letter and acceptances but No active review. As they got into the start of the year, about 2 SDNers were pulled off of the waitlist. Everyone else stayed on waitlist until mid-June when everyone got snail mail letters that they were accepted, rejected or on a very short waitlist. It seems like things are the exact same this year minus the active review which seemed to mean waitlist without the finality so that they could change their mind at any point. Still haven't got the waitlist letter and I would assume that's a good thing.

If I didn't blow my short interview, I possibly would've been accepted outright. I can just imagine the two reports from my two interviewers being quite inconsistent.

Interviewer A: He was nervous, showed no composure and very stupid.

Interviewer B: Mr. XYZ strikes me as a confident and very intelligent student.

Admissions Committee: Hmm, probably a bipolar student.

Vandy should seriously get rid of the short interview. However, it was a good learning experience for me.

I think my short interview was better than the long one. I just hope they're weighted equally.
In any case, neither was good enough to get me accepted. There's three people that read your supplemental application and present it to the admission committee, who knows what each took away from the essays.

Early-Mid December.

Is anyone ever rejected post interview, before May 15?

At interview day they implied people could be rejected post interview, but I don't know if that actually happens to anyone.

At interview day they implied people could be rejected post interview, but I don't know if that actually happens to anyone.

Yea, you're right, considering their crazy enough to interview 1000 ppl, they're probably crazy enough to have 750 ppl on their waitlist.

Mail came today, and I still have no snail mail from Vandy, just those two "active review" emails. I'm with you still, kduck.

I called today and they said they just sent a bunch of letters in the last couple days. I asked about my status in particular and she said it didn't look like I had been sent a letter, but that I would get something by the end of March. So perhaps you're in the same boat - more time in limbo!

This is probably the wrong thread, but most of you who are applying might be able to help me out.

1. Does anyone know if Pitt accepts online credit for Biochemistry?
I have two options for the semester next fall:
a) take the lecture course (3 credit hours) from two professors, who I have heard REALLY DO NOT KNOW how to teach the material
b) take the online course, which someone told me is through a school in Ohio and incorporates an online lab (3 credit hours)
Also, I heard the online biochem course lasts for 7 weeks, but I do not know how true that is.

2. Does Biochemistry lab matter to admissions?
I do not plan on taking biochemistry lab because I have a jam-packed senior year. I am BME and planning to take a course called “Tools in Biomedical Research” however to fill my engineering elective requirements. From what past students told me, you learn how to do cell culturing, SDS-PAGE, ELISA, and even drug encapsulation.

If anyone knows about how the adcoms feel about either, please let me know because I could not find anything on their website or other threads.

Thanks!

Yea, you're right, considering their crazy enough to interview 1000 ppl, they're probably crazy enough to have 750 ppl on their waitlist.

Don't most schools interview ~1,000 people? Often, the breakdown is roughly 25% accepted, 50% wait-listed, 25% rejected. I don't know how Vanderbilt does it though

This is probably the wrong thread, but most of you who are applying might be able to help me out.

1. Does anyone know if Pitt accepts online credit for Biochemistry?
I have two options for the semester next fall:
a) take the lecture course (3 credit hours) from two professors, who I have heard REALLY DO NOT KNOW how to teach the material
b) take the online course, which someone told me is through a school in Ohio and incorporates an online lab (3 credit hours)
Also, I heard the online biochem course lasts for 7 weeks, but I do not know how true that is.

2. Does Biochemistry lab matter to admissions?
I do not plan on taking biochemistry lab because I have a jam-packed senior year. I am BME and planning to take a course called “Tools in Biomedical Research” however to fill my engineering elective requirements. From what past students told me, you learn how to do cell culturing, SDS-PAGE, ELISA, and even drug encapsulation.

If anyone knows about how the adcoms feel about either, please let me know because I could not find anything on their website or other threads.

Thanks!

I think you should call/email the admissions office after the current admissions cycle is over. It might depend on what other classes you've taken. If you already have 2 inorganic chem and 2 organic chem courses + lab, you don't even need biochemistry.

Don't most schools interview ~1,000 people? Often, the breakdown is roughly 25% accepted, 50% wait-listed, 25% rejected. I don't know how Vanderbilt does it though

No. Other schools interview maybe 3-5 times the number of people they will have in their class. Vanderbilt interviews almost 10 times the number of people they want to eventually have matriculate.

Parents got the waitlist letter today back home. How do I decline the position and respectfully withdraw? I don't see anything on the website. Thanks!

Parents got the waitlist letter today back home. How do I decline the position and respectfully withdraw? I don't see anything on the website. Thanks!

I would just email the admissions office letting them know that you appreciate their consideration but have accepted a position elsewhere and would like to withdraw from further consideration. Short, simple, sweet.

No. Other schools interview maybe 3-5 times the number of people they will have in their class. Vanderbilt interviews almost 10 times the number of people they want to eventually have matriculate.

I think you might be confusing accepted vs. matriculated? I think in the past, Duke interviewed over 1000 people for a class size of ~100, but usually accepted around 200. This year, they interviewed fewer due to limitations of the MMI system.

I think you might be confusing accepted vs. matriculated? I think in the past, Duke interviewed over 1000 people for a class size of ~100, but usually accepted around 200. This year, they interviewed fewer due to limitations of the MMI system.

No. This might be common practice among the most competitive medical schools in the US, but it's certainly not something that "most" schools do. Crack open an MSAR and flip through. :) But let's not derail the Vandy thread over this!
Another day, another mail delivery... :scared:

Waitlisted. Got the letter today. Interviewed 10/11. Waitlist isn't ranked from my understanding.

I'm sure most of us met the guy presenting on interview day...I remember him saying this is his favorite part of the job.

Have any of the people who can't make Vandy's second look (but still want to visit) decided what alternate weekend they're planning on heading down? It seems like quite a few people can't make it to second look due to conflicts with other schools, and I think it would be fun to visit Vandy with other potential classmates, even if we have to miss out on the official second look weekend. I'm leaning towards visiting the week before (maybe the 6th and 7th?), but it'd be great to know when other people are visiting. Feel free to PM me as well!

Waitlisted and withdrawing finally after 24 weeks. Good luck everyone else!

I just got a call with a 75% tuition scholarship offer! I thought they were finished giving away the big money. Keep the faith, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.