2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocInProgress

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does receiving a VCU secondary gaurantee an interview there? It seems that, from the status page, interviews will be given in accordance to priority score and date of completion.

Members don't see this ad.

Does receiving a VCU secondary gaurantee an interview there? It seems that, from the status page, interviews will be given in accordance to priority score and date of completion.

I don't believe so. But they do screen, so if you got an application, they may at least be somewhat interested in you.

no, but you have a pretty good shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from VCU's secondary page

"Only about 60 percent of our candidates will be interviewed"

Which I assume means 60 percent of those receiving secondaries.

Straight from VCU's secondary page

"Only about 60 percent of our candidates will be interviewed"

Which I assume means 60 percent of those receiving secondaries.
Can I ask what is VCU?

- Name of any relative who has received or will receive their M.D. from our school.
- Did you participate in a VCU sponsored enrichment program? (Project ACEe, VA Governor's School, HCOP)
- Have you previously applied to our School Of Medicine? If yes, what additional qualifications do you have? (Limit 150 characters.)
- Please select top three specialties that most interest you if you were to have to make a selection today.
- Supplemental Essay: The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine. (Limit 8000 characters)
- Interested in Fairfax or MCV hospitals during 3rd or 4th year?
- Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education
- SAT or ACT score

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Last edited:
Beat me to it. I'm pretty sure they screen secondaries, but does anyone with expertise know some baseline figures of GPA/MCAT to receive a secondary, or is it less critical?

I've spent a majority of my life in VA and was born in Richmond (804 represent!) so I'm hoping that I'll get to detail this on the secondary

I think only about 40% of OOS applicants end up getting secondaries. It doesn't seem they screen too harshly though; a lot of people with low GPAs and <30 MCATs ending up getting the secondary last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's the average MCAT for matriculants, acceptees is closer to 31.
I thought that was the average MCAT for receiving a secondary per the question in post 3.

Wow, I thought the VCU thread would be a lot more active; it's usually one of the more active threads every year. I was in line to interview here last year but didn't get the chance because I applied late. Show me some love, VCU!

Just recieved an email to an application status page. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get an e-mail from VCU with the link to the application status page?

Good. I hope they take their time sending out the secondaries. Flooded with enough other ones already

so just to be sure, no one received a pin in their email rite?

so just to be sure, no one received a pin in their email rite?
It's easy to miss, but the link tells you what your PIN should be right above where you need to type it in. So yes, it wasn't in the e-mail.

How long did it take from amcas submit until the secondary email?

also received secondary!

Getting a secondary also!

Can more than three LOR's be sent? I have the two science, one non-science and was hoping to send an add'l for working in a medical laboratory. Any thoughts? Thanks.

7th secondary for this week! i'm so stressed!

also got the secondary just now. it comes via status page, not email, so check your status page!

I got an e-mail telling me that I was invited to complete the secondary and to log in to the website to do so. You have 60 days from when you are invited to complete the secondary.

Secondary here too! Verified June 8. Got the status page email yesterday, secondary today!

Congrats everybody! More are coming, I am sure of it!

Looks like this is one of the easier supplementals I'll have to fill out. The only question is "Why VCU?"

Screened in too :D! I needed some good news. Not too sure how intense their screen is, but I'll take it!

Their e-mail scared the bejesus out of me. Normally, when a school sends those "Check yourself for an update" e-mails, it ain't never good news.

8000 characters. Thats a lot of space for a lot of reasons

can VCU's M1 or M2 comment on why VCU question?

& two rotating sites?

thank you in advance! :)

Question: Should we indicate ALL the courses on the secondary that fulfill their requirements? For example, I am a bio major and have 15 courses that would meet their bio req....

Yeah, I really don't know what to say for 8,000 characters. I'm kinda sputtering out at about 4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.