2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I really don't know what to say for 8,000 characters. I'm kinda sputtering out at about 4k.

I'm stuck at ~900 characters.. lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm stuck at ~900 characters.. lol

Well I heaped a lot of stuff together that has very little, if anything, to do with their school. But somehow i connected it back to their first two years of clinical experience lol

I perused last year's thread and it said on there that for the 2009-2010 cycle they had 6200 applicants, 1800 got secondaries, and 800 invites for 200 spots. I'm OOS and I heard they screen quite a bit for us folks and considering my very sub par stats (3.3 and 25) I'm liking this school more and more just for the fact that they gave me a little bit of a shot lol. They have to look at your application holistically because otherwise I'm sure I was not in the top ~40% of OOS applicants number wise. One small victory :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy everyone! I just graduated from VCU this past Spring and will be starting med school this Fall. Will check in every now and then and see if I can't answer any questions about the VCU community or Richmond.

As far as the "Why VCU?" question - I think this is a very important one. I've heard from several members of the adcom here that they are very interested in seeing school-specific interest, even if you're in-state. That being said, there are a ton of things to love about VCU and Richmond!

I think y'all will be the first people to enter with the new curriculum? Bad to be a guinea pig I suppose, but the environment at VCU (including admins and students) is super supportive from my limited observations and interactions.

The facilities are awesome. The hospital system is fantastic and there's a lot of new construction that students will be able to take advantage of immediately. The new critical care tower is absolutely beautiful - it's a hotel inside. The ER is also getting re-did - very fancy, and enormous. There are also new buildings intended for M1/M2 use, I believe... would have to get input from a current student for more info on that one.

VCU is also incredibly diverse in every sense of the word. My undergraduate career has undoubtedly been enriched by the diversity of my peer group and I know that medical students here have a similar experience. It's also worth mentioning that Richmond food is equally as awesome and, you guessed it, diverse.

If I think of anything else I'll throw it up in this post. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Richmond or VCU as an institution!

Last edited:
Howdy everyone! I just graduated from VCU this past Spring and will be starting med school this Fall. Will check in every now and then and see if I can't answer any questions about the VCU community or Richmond.

As far as the "Why VCU?" question - I think this is a very important one. I've heard from several members of the adcom here that they are very interested in seeing school-specific interest, even if you're in-state. That being said, there are a ton of things to love about VCU and Richmond!

I think y'all will be the first people to enter with the new curriculum? Bad to be a guinea pig I suppose, but the environment at VCU (including admins and students) is super supportive from my limited observations and interactions.

The facilities are awesome. The hospital system is fantastic and there's a lot of new construction that students will be able to take advantage of immediately. The new critical care tower is absolutely beautiful - it's a hotel inside. The ER is also getting re-did - very fancy, and enormous. There are also new buildings intended for M1/M2 use, I believe... would have to get input from a current student for more info on that one.

VCU is also incredibly diverse in every sense of the word. My undergraduate career has undoubtedly been enriched by the diversity of my peer group and I know that medical students here have a similar experience. It's also worth mentioning that Richmond food is equally as awesome and, you guessed it, diverse.

If I think of anything else I'll throw it up in this post. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Richmond or VCU as an institution!

With a 38/3.99, you don't need to know anything about the school to get in :D

Thanks for your time and insight, however!

Submitted my secondary... Im part of the sophomore program from college so that is why I sent it in so early.

thanks!

Yeah, I really don't know what to say for 8,000 characters. I'm kinda sputtering out at about 4k.

They give you lots of space to write, but don't feel like you need to use it all. As long as you can explain "why vcu?" well, it doesn't really matter how many characters you use. Obviously 200 characters wouldn't be smart, but you get my drift :) My statement, including spaces, was a little over 3,500 characters. If that helps.

I'm about ready to submit, and I used 4500 characters. It's hard to write another personal statement, I haven't even seen the school! What would you guys consider an adverse point in your undergrad grades? ~3.4 freshman year?

Ahhh! Got my secondary application yesterday as well! I'm so excited! I just have no idea what I'm going to write about for the essay. That means...research time!

My Secondary is in... Hoping we get some early interviews. Good luck to all!

Submitted my secondary... Im part of the sophomore program from college so that is why I sent it in so early.

Do you have any insights about what makes VCU so unique/worth attending? :)

Any idea on when the new School of Medicine Education Building is going to open?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea on when the new School of Medicine Education Building is going to open?
I'm researching in the building right next to where the new SOM building is being constructed. There are steel beams erected and its almost at its maximum height but still a lot of work to be done. I think on the website it said it will open in 2013?

What does "lapse" in UG education mean? Does that mean periods where you performed "poorly" or time that you took off?

With a 38/3.99, you don't need to know anything about the school to get in :D

Thanks for your time and insight, however!

Hey now, numbers don't mean everything. I know that they want you to genuinely want them (likely the case at all medical schools). I think BU and Georgetown are prime examples of schools that have no qualms with throwing applicants aside who demonstrate little or no interest in their particular programs.

According to the website, Spring of 2013. http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/giving/gift/building.html

Wow, it's amazing how community-oriented this school is! So many awesome opportunities to work in different community settings in the Virginia area

Dean of Admissions is a wonderful lady, I hope I get to interview here

Agreed! Super helpful and very nice!

I met her at our medical school college fair, talked to her about basketball for about 20 mins and looked at her name tag and realized she was the dean of admissions :laugh: oops?

My status is still incomplete because of letters (which are all submitted on AMCAS already). Anyone else experiencing this?

I am! Only some of my letters that have arrived to amcas are marked as recieved by vcu. However, I am still waiting on one more to get into amcas so I'm in no rush. There was a Canadian postal strike so my letters have been in the mail for 3 weeks and counting...

I am! Only some of my letters that have arrived to amcas are marked as recieved by vcu. However, I am still waiting on one more to get into amcas so I'm in no rush. There was a Canadian postal strike so my letters have been in the mail for 3 weeks and counting...

Oh, Canada!

Just got an updated status:
"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Based on previous years, it looks like this may be a good sign. :xf:

How long did it take for yalls letters to be processed with the rest of your app?

How long did it take for yalls letters to be processed with the rest of your app?

I was complete <24 hours after submitting, so I'd assume the time for letter processing is negligible

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Congrats! Quick question: when did you submit your secondary?

This post is far too informative to let gather dust in last year's thread, so I'm bumping it :D:

F A Q s

GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESS

1. What is a priority score?

A priority score is assigned to every applicant in order to determine the candidacy of each applicant to enter the next stage in the process. A file reviewer will give you a priority score to determine if you meet requirements for a secondary. Post-secondary, a file reviewer will determine if you deserve an interview. These two scores have little to do with you getting in. After an interview the ADCOM assigns a third priority score to determine if the applicant is to be accepted, put on hold, or rejected. - Instatewaiter

2. Do any out-of-staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

The first batch is the hardest to get in from and they tend to have the highest stats. It is very common that people who interviewed early get pushed along until the committee reaches that priority score. For example: let's say Bob gets a score of 2.5 (1 is the best, 3.5-5 is a rejection). In October they may only offer to a 1.5 (Bob doesn’t get in and gets pushed to the next batch) . In December a 2.0 (Bob doesn’t get in). In January, a 2.2 and in March a 2.5. So Bob would have to wait until March to get in. - Instatewaiter

POST-SECONDARY

1. My application was just complete, how long does it take for them to make a decision about an interview?

VCU has a response time faster than most other schools. The committee usually takes about 1-2 weeks to review a completed application. Keep in mind that this estimate can increase depending on where they are in the application cycle. The length of time also depends on your priority score.

2. I recently got a status update post-secondary, but it was very vague. What does this mean?

I have done some research and it seems that there are 2-3 possible updates that the adcoms send out post secondary review:

A) The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

B) The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

What do these mean? The committee has looked at your file and decided you meet the qualifications for an interview. They do not want to guarantee you an interview right now because they do not know what the schedule will be like 4 months in advance. It would not be fair to guarantee an interview and later rescind it due to a lack of interview spots. Just take this as a good sign. People from the past 2 cycles usually recieve an invitation ranging from two days to a month. So be patient and wait. It could take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks.
It has been speculated that the two messages could be correlated to a certain priority score, but this has not been substantiated by the ADCOM.

C) The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

This is pretty straightforward, but it is important to note it is NOT a rejection. It only means that the person giving the priority score could not come to a decision. Additional staff will look at the file to collaborate for a decision.

POST-INTERVIEW

1. How does the ADCOM determine your priority score?

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score. 1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection.

POST-INTERVIEW

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score. 1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection.

That's pretty hardcore :eek: Looks like we get our own two lawyers :)

This post is far too informative to let gather dust in last year's thread, so I'm bumping it :D:

F A Q s

GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESS

1. What is a priority score?

A priority score is assigned to every applicant in order to determine the candidacy of each applicant to enter the next stage in the process. A file reviewer will give you a priority score to determine if you meet requirements for a secondary. Post-secondary, a file reviewer will determine if you deserve an interview. These two scores have little to do with you getting in. After an interview the ADCOM assigns a third priority score to determine if the applicant is to be accepted, put on hold, or rejected. - Instatewaiter

2. Do any out-of-staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

The first batch is the hardest to get in from and they tend to have the highest stats. It is very common that people who interviewed early get pushed along until the committee reaches that priority score. For example: let's say Bob gets a score of 2.5 (1 is the best, 3.5-5 is a rejection). In October they may only offer to a 1.5 (Bob doesn’t get in and gets pushed to the next batch) . In December a 2.0 (Bob doesn’t get in). In January, a 2.2 and in March a 2.5. So Bob would have to wait until March to get in. - Instatewaiter

POST-SECONDARY

1. My application was just complete, how long does it take for them to make a decision about an interview?

VCU has a response time faster than most other schools. The committee usually takes about 1-2 weeks to review a completed application. Keep in mind that this estimate can increase depending on where they are in the application cycle. The length of time also depends on your priority score.

2. I recently got a status update post-secondary, but it was very vague. What does this mean?

I have done some research and it seems that there are 2-3 possible updates that the adcoms send out post secondary review:

A) The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

B) The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

What do these mean? The committee has looked at your file and decided you meet the qualifications for an interview. They do not want to guarantee you an interview right now because they do not know what the schedule will be like 4 months in advance. It would not be fair to guarantee an interview and later rescind it due to a lack of interview spots. Just take this as a good sign. People from the past 2 cycles usually recieve an invitation ranging from two days to a month. So be patient and wait. It could take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks.
It has been speculated that the two messages could be correlated to a certain priority score, but this has not been substantiated by the ADCOM.

C) The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

This is pretty straightforward, but it is important to note it is NOT a rejection. It only means that the person giving the priority score could not come to a decision. Additional staff will look at the file to collaborate for a decision.

POST-INTERVIEW

This is a wonderfully informative post!
Thanks!

"The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March."

:D

Congrats! I hope our statuses mean we are interviewing soon...

I have completed my secondary and just have a quick question before I submit it. For the prerequisites section, my physics and organic chemistry classes had a lab that was a whole different course and is listed independently just as a lab. However, my biology and general chemistry classes both had labs but they were included in the in overall course grade and they are not listed independently. There is no text box area on that part of the secondary for me to note this and was wondering if I should submit it like this. Again just to be clear, I did take biology and gen chem labs, they are just not listed independently on my transcript because they were included in the overall course grade.

I have completed my secondary and just have a quick question before I submit it. For the prerequisites section, my physics and organic chemistry classes had a lab that was a whole different course and is listed independently just as a lab. However, my biology and general chemistry classes both had labs but they were included in the in overall course grade and they are not listed independently. There is no text box area on that part of the secondary for me to note this and was wondering if I should submit it like this. Again just to be clear, I did take biology and gen chem labs, they are just not listed independently on my transcript because they were included in the overall course grade.

I had the same question - but on the AMCAS application you had the option to list them as "Lecture + Lab" so I think as long as you did that you should be fine. At least that is my personal rationale.

Submitted the secondary last week. Still waiting for them to process letters and everything. Really hoping for an interview here!!!

Anybody get access to the secondary without MCAT scores? They sent me the link but I'm still under review to see if I qualify for the secondary

Is ADCOM response A > ADCOM response B ??

Is this better than a "HOLD" status? Should I expect an interview at some point from this school? Thanks

Is ADCOM response A > ADCOM response B ??

Is this better than a "HOLD" status? Should I expect an interview at some point from this school? Thanks

As WhizoMD mentioned, last year's thread indicates that this is a really good thing. I didn't see one person that received either one of those statuses (A and B as you put it) early and then didn't get an interview at some point. It ranged from around 4 days to about a month to get an interview from what I saw. As for the relationship between A and B, there was a lot of debate about it in the thread from two years ago, but it was all speculation.

EDIT- So, Congrats! :)

Thanks for the clarification, SJMarist. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.