2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the office today and they said no IS offers went out last week...I hope this isn't the end... :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted too! So dang excited! Can't wait to live in Richmond. :) I'm OOS male, 3.52/35Q.

Is 29/3.6 :hungover:

CONGRATS!!! Hopefully I'm not too far down from you! (IS 28/3.9).

Does anybody know the best way to contact VCU about the waitlist at this point in time? I e-mailed Dr. WHC twice so far (first one a bit after May 15 and the second one beginning of June). She said that I was "in the running" the first time I e-mailed her. Second time was more about the timeline for re-submitting my AMCAS.

Has it been helpful to call up the admissions office?

THANKS!

i would like to know as well....
congrats guys! i hope that i hear good news soon....

Thread's become really quiet these past few days.

Hope this isn't the end of things...

hopefully there will be some news this thursday

Members don't see this ad :)
Thread's become really quiet these past few days.

Hope this isn't the end of things...

It's not. I know there are a few of us high on wait lists at more highly favored schools ((in our own personal rankings) that would be happy to offer you our spots.... VCU is a GREAT program, but many of us would like to stay closer to home....

On a side note: the director of admissions at my top choice school recently said she anticipates most wait list movement this summer will occur later than usual this cycle because her observation is that everyone is hoarding their offers more than usual. That is, a similar number of offers are being made as in the past, but they are taking longer to be made because people are waiting the maximum amount of time to make decisions this year (as opposed to previous years). Her school is a top 40 school and quite popular, so I would anticipate that what she sees at her school is likely to trickle down into the mid-range schools (as well as other top 40 schools).

Last edited:
It's not. I know there are a few of us high on wait lists at more highly favored schools ((in our own personal rankings) that would be happy to offer you our spots.... VCU is a GREAT program, but many of us would like to stay closer to home....

On a side note: the director of admissions at my top choice school recently said she anticipates most wait list movement this summer will occur later than usual this cycle because her observation is that everyone is hoarding their offers more than usual. That is, a similar number of offers are being made as in the past, but they are taking longer to be made because people are waiting the maximum amount of time to make decisions this year (as opposed to previous years). Her school is a top 40 school and quite popular, so I would anticipate that what she sees at her school is likely to trickle down into the mid-range schools (as well as other top 40 schools).
thanks for the encouragement. i'm really hoping this is the case.

I am just rooting for all of the in-state males to get into harvard, yale etc and free up a slot for me...

any acceptances this past week?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using SDN Mobile

so quiet here and elsewhere too...waiting sucks!!! we dont know what to do, part of me is preparing to move forward with "rejection" and the other part of me is in suspension...

Does anyone know when the next round of offers come out? Has anyone heard back recently?

As an IS male, applying this cycle for 2013 admission, any advice? VCU is my top choice.

Hey Sorry but I have a very important question, I was checking my financial aid status online for 2012-2013 but the option was no longer there, I checked it last week and was able to see my award now I login eservice and there isnt even an option for term year 2012 -2013, only status for 2011-2012... anyone have this problem??

no news here...its pretty late in the cycle though. i called the admission office and they said its very rare for ppl to get off of the list at this point.

someone here said that this yr people are holding on to their spots longer relative to years before --- im not sure b.c some schools start in mid july but i guess miracles happen all the time.

I just found out I got in!!!!! ahhhhhh so surreall. got the call at work today from Dr WHC!

When is orientation? There are so many things I have to do....

Last edited:
I just found out I got in!!!!! ahhhhhh so surreall. got the call at work today from Dr WHC!

female, 3.36, 39S. OOS

When is orientation? There are so many things I have to do....

Congratulations!! Orientation is August 6 which is coming up soon!

Make sure to join the Facebook group since the majority of our class has already joined and is extremely informative.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/321048824595096/

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! :) Good thing comes to those who wait.

For those who got accepted in the 2011 - 2012 cycle, please update your stats info on the spreadsheet before I summarize it in a few days for later years to spot the trend.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...EZibkUxR3QxeVJabkJOZDhHZE1GRnc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Thank you so very much and congrats again!

I think it's pretty clear from both the words in the May and Further paragraphs and from the spreadsheet what the ranking is... (MAY is clearly the winner over FURTHER status.)

do you mind posting your stats please?
i was hoping that i would get in, but no news yet.

do you mind posting your stats please?
i was hoping that i would get in, but no news yet.

I'd wait for orientation Monday. There may be some wait list movement if people do not show up to roll call at 2pm EST, although I would not count on it as Admissions sent out an email to all of us earlier in the week asking us to let them know ASAP if we did not plan on attending. As for stats... I'd say if you are at least a balanced 30 MCAT (no section <9) and balanced 3.6 GPA (>3.5 sGPA and cGPA), it's unlikely your stats were what kept you out this cycle. Hopefully, you have done a few things this past year that will help you next cycle. VCU really seems to like clnical experience so if you are lacking there, start working on it yesterday.

my only weak point is mcat score which is below 30. otherwise i do have lots of research and clinical experience. my gpa for grad school is 4.0 and undergrad. 3.7. but mcat is in upper 20s.

my only weak point is mcat score which is below 30. otherwise i do have lots of research and clinical experience. my gpa for grad school is 4.0 and undergrad. 3.7. but mcat is in upper 20s.

Study more and take your MCAT again. With your gpa, it would seem that you know the content, but its a matter of "learning" the test. An upper 20s score is really going to hold you back when all of your other stats are stellar.

I believe last year there was one missing person from roll call, so keep your fingers crossed.

Study more and take your MCAT again. With your gpa, it would seem that you know the content, but its a matter of "learning" the test. An upper 20s score is really going to hold you back when all of your other stats are stellar.

I believe last year there was one missing person from roll call, so keep your fingers crossed.

This. Retake the MCAT. That's the quickest thing to improve at this point so you're in good shape in that sense, although ideally you would have realized this several months ago and started studying again. At this point, you may need to wait a year and reapply the 2014 cycle with a retake in January.

Someone will be receiving a phone call this week, possibly tomorrow from Dr. WHC I heard that at least 1 slot opened up today. I don't want to disclose the reason behind it, but good luck to you all!

Someone will be receiving a phone call this week, possibly tomorrow from Dr. WHC I heard that at least 1 slot opened up today. I don't want to disclose the reason behind it, but good luck to you all!

Are you dropping from the class?! I sure hope not! Everyone I've met here has been absolutely awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.