2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question! For the last part on the secondary where they ask you to explain any lapses in you undergrad education, we don't answer it if we didn't take any breaks or have any withdrawals, right?

I think you could also use that section to explain inconsistent grades (major f-up in one semester).

Members don't see this ad.

What if my grades were pretty consistent? Should I explain a C+ I got in physics?

No, I don't think one C+ should make a difference. I'm talking about having a high GPA and then getting something like a 3.2 one semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
its good to hear that they work fast considering all the apps they receive

Hmm I submitted 7/6 and my app status still doesn't say complete. I know everything is in. Anyone else in the same boat?

What is the 'very interested' status, if you don't mind? :)

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

Awesome :) Good luck!

Where do you guys see your status?

I was complete on the 12th and all I can see is that I remain "complete".

Where do you guys see your status?

I was complete on the 12th and all I can see is that I remain "complete".

That means they haven't reviewed your application and assigned you a priority score/ status yet. I was complete on the 11th and just got mine Friday evening.

That means they haven't reviewed your application and assigned you a priority score/ status yet. I was complete on the 11th and just got mine Friday evening.

Thanks!
I spoke to soon.
As soon as I saw your response, I got the MAY status.
That's hopeful right? :thumbup:

Question: Should we indicate ALL the courses on the secondary that fulfill their requirements? For example, I am a bio major and have 15 courses that would meet their bio req....

I have the same question...right now I have checked all my bio courses..

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently got this status update:

The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

Recently got this status update:

The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

*Gulp* :xf:

well, I suppose it is better than an outright rejection. Lady luck, show me some lovin' :)

Still only have the complete status since 7/13...

Still only have the complete status since 7/13...

I had the complete status since 7/11 until late last Friday evening. It seems like they just haven't gotten to you yet. I assume you'll be receiving your status in the next couple days.

I had the complete status since 7/11 until late last Friday evening. It seems like they just haven't gotten to you yet. I assume you'll be receiving your status in the next couple days.

Lucky! I've been complete since 7.11 and I have yet to hear anything =[

If the guys who received the MAY and INTERESTED status don't mind answering, what were your stats (GPA, MCAT)?

My non-science letter was marked as a science letter...I emailed them and no one has replied yet...I am wondering if I should call...I think that affects my status...sigh

My non-science letter was marked as a science letter...I emailed them and no one has replied yet...I am wondering if I should call...I think that affects my status...sigh

I had a similar problem and e-mailed them to which they replied in 1 week and changed it from non-science --> science

Just got my third complete status... went from 'complete, dont request special dates' status, to 'complete, forwarding to admissions committee for further decision", back to "complete, dont request special dates". ??

Just got my third complete status... went from 'complete, dont request special dates' status, to 'complete, forwarding to admissions committee for further decision", back to "complete, dont request special dates". ??

Same here, first had just "complete", then "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision.", and now it reads "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized....."

So frustrating, I just really want to go here ha

Don't you DARE request special dates then!

lol +1

im getting confused

Just got this status update.."The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken." I'm really bummed! I'm really interested in VCU, and I hope this doesn't turn out to be a rejection :(

ok so for anyone confused about the statuses...I found this from last year's thread...I don't know how legit it is but it makes sense. VCU seems to have 5 priority scores and here they are with the messages:

Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection.

This is what I found...hope it helps

Now been complete for a week with no status updates..errr...

Now been complete for a week with no status updates..errr...

Last year I was worried about my file not being reviewed for a while, so I called. They told me that the time it takes to review can vary depending on the person that is responsible for reviewing your file. It seems that your file must have been sent to someone that is busy or likes to really examine files before recommending an interview.

Will there be a status update saying my file is complete or will it immediately reflect the above-mentioned status updates? I've been complete for about a week as well, but their office is probably inundated with applications right now.

Will there be a status update saying my file is complete or will it immediately reflect the above-mentioned status updates? I've been complete for about a week as well, but their office is probably inundated with applications right now.

you will get a status saying your file is complete

ok so for anyone confused about the statuses...I found this from last year's thread...I don't know how legit it is but it makes sense. VCU seems to have 5 priority scores and here they are with the messages:

Application Status:

1) "The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."

2) "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail."

3) "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

4) "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

5) "REJECTED"

#1 - you are interviewed
#2/3 - may be interviewed (still not sure how they are different or which is better)
#4 - subcommitee message
#5 - rejection.

This is what I found...hope it helps

I got #3. 3.7/30 OOS.

btw, just so you guys know, status changes are always made around ~6:10 PM.

for the ppl who submitted already, can you copy/paste from word directly into the app? Can you preview your app before you actually submit? I'm just paranoid about the potential for no paragraph spacing b/c i ran into that problem already in another school's app :(

for the ppl who submitted already, can you copy/paste from word directly into the app? Can you preview your app before you actually submit? I'm just paranoid about the potential for no paragraph spacing b/c i ran into that problem already in another school's app :(

yes and yes.

great thanks vickpick! however, it came out as one paragraph in the preview, but had a note saying "the admissions committee will see it with the correct formatting in the real thing" (not sure I believe this...maybe I should <p> anyway?). Also, what is the general consensus on prereq's-- only list the bare minimum, or list everything that could count? Univ of Vermont, for ex, says specfically "list ONLY 1 year" but VCU doesn't say that so obviously. Does anyone know if they calculate a GPA based off that (so wouldn't it be better to pick and choose your best grades if you have several that fit the requirement?). I guess they have our primary but still...nice to have it all on 1 page.

did anyone have trouble getting their essay to fit in there and keep the formatting? i keep copying and pasting it in and when i go to verify my app it's cut off. it's below the 8000 character limit too!

Last edited:
did anyone have trouble getting their essay to fit in there and keep the formatting? i keep copying and pasting it in and when i go to verify my app it's cut off. it's below the 8000 character limit too!

I had this problem as well. Mine was definitely under 8000, maybe 7500 or so and it was cut off. I ended up just removing a little to make sure it fit. Good luck!

I had this problem as well. Mine was definitely under 8000, maybe 7500 or so and it was cut off. I ended up just removing a little to make sure it fit. Good luck!

i figured i'd have to do that. what about the formatting? is there no way to keep paragraphs?

Well I just got status #5, rejected. =( Good luck to everyone else!

So I'm a bit confused about the process for this school. My AMCAS was verified back in mid-June and my secondaries have been rolling in. The problem is, my committee letter hasn't arrived and my school has a "no hassle" policy which means I cannot contact the advisor to inquire when my committee letter will be sent. We are only guaranteed that it will be sent by the end of September. Problem is, according to my VCU status page, my letters have to be there by 9/3! They haven't even been sent to AMCAS yet, and the VCU secondary says it can take 3-4 weeks for letters to post to them. So, I've submitted my secondary and paid my $80, but it's entirely possible that my committee letter won't arrive in time. Does the school not realize that students don't have any control over when committee letters are sent? Am I missing something here? It just seems a bit unreasonable to be rejected for something entirely out of my hands. Does anyone know if they re-consider this sort of decision?

I submitted my secondary 6 days ago and still no complete status, how long is it taking them nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.