2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted my secondary 6 days ago and still no complete status, how long is it taking them nowadays?

I just got the complete status today and I submitted just over two weeks ago. I called a few days ago and they said they had hundreds to thousands of letters to sort through and match to applications, so it is taking them a while.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected! Oh well, good luck to the rest of you--seems like a great school.

I have the "review further" but a grades hold as well. Since I'm in a grad program, is that what they're waiting for?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm a bit confused about the process for this school. My AMCAS was verified back in mid-June and my secondaries have been rolling in. The problem is, my committee letter hasn't arrived and my school has a "no hassle" policy which means I cannot contact the advisor to inquire when my committee letter will be sent. We are only guaranteed that it will be sent by the end of September. Problem is, according to my VCU status page, my letters have to be there by 9/3! They haven't even been sent to AMCAS yet, and the VCU secondary says it can take 3-4 weeks for letters to post to them. So, I've submitted my secondary and paid my $80, but it's entirely possible that my committee letter won't arrive in time. Does the school not realize that students don't have any control over when committee letters are sent? Am I missing something here? It just seems a bit unreasonable to be rejected for something entirely out of my hands. Does anyone know if they re-consider this sort of decision?

You can try to contact them and see if they will make accommodations for situations like this. I'm positive you are not the only person with a scenario like this.

So I'm a bit confused about the process for this school. My AMCAS was verified back in mid-June and my secondaries have been rolling in. The problem is, my committee letter hasn't arrived and my school has a "no hassle" policy which means I cannot contact the advisor to inquire when my committee letter will be sent. We are only guaranteed that it will be sent by the end of September. Problem is, according to my VCU status page, my letters have to be there by 9/3! They haven't even been sent to AMCAS yet, and the VCU secondary says it can take 3-4 weeks for letters to post to them. So, I've submitted my secondary and paid my $80, but it's entirely possible that my committee letter won't arrive in time. Does the school not realize that students don't have any control over when committee letters are sent? Am I missing something here? It just seems a bit unreasonable to be rejected for something entirely out of my hands. Does anyone know if they re-consider this sort of decision?

I'm in the same situation.

Do you guys know if medical students can help with Project ACEe?

i cant seem to find that anywhere

Just got the MAY status! Been complete since the 13th so I was starting to get worried lol

I guess there's no real way to tell the difference between #2 and #3. I wonder if they differ between in state and out of state??

Just got the MAY status! Been complete since the 13th so I was starting to get worried lol

I was complete on the 13th as well. Guess I'm next on the chopping block! Bring it on!

I guess there's no real way to tell the difference between #2 and #3. I wonder if they differ between in state and out of state??

They don't, according to last year's thread.

OOS Complete 7/18 MAY status 7/24.

Really impressed by the quick turnaround.

when did you submit your secondary/how long did it take for you to get complete?

I submitted on 7/18 and my LORs and MCAT scores were already in, so I think I didn't get any other status updates between the 18th and today. None that they e-mailed me about anyway, so if there was an interim status I didn't see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm a bit late in the game (applied yesterday as OOS). How many of you who are OOS do not have a "connection" with VCU?

So I'm a bit late in the game (applied yesterday as OOS). How many of you who are OOS do not have a "connection" with VCU?

lol you're not late at all. You're actually still early if your app is complete by early August. Most OOS students don't have a connection with VCU. I have never even been to Virginia and I almost got an interview last year.

I submitted almost 3 weeks ago and it's still showing my application as INCOMPLETE on the online status page. Anyone else have this issue?

I submitted almost 3 weeks ago and it's still showing my application as INCOMPLETE on the online status page. Anyone else have this issue?

For the letters of recommendation, does it show 2 science letters?

lol you're not late at all. You're actually still early if your app is complete by early August. Most OOS students don't have a connection with VCU. I have never even been to Virginia and I almost got an interview last year.

Thanks. I feel a little better after that post. It seems like most SDers submit their app early June. Yeah I have never been to Virginia either. I'm hoping they give me a shot too!

How long did it take y'all to go from here

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

to your priority score?

Just got the MAY status. Submitted my secondary on 7/10 and was complete 7/20.

Just got this status:

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Complete 7/13

Hopefully this is a good sign!

How long did it take y'all to go from here

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates. "

to your priority score?

Mine took 12 days, but other people's statuses changed faster than mine.

anybody else having issues with them not uploading MCAT scores?? it was released 7/19 but i'm still on hold yet to receive the secondary b/c my mcat scores "have not been received yet"

For the letters of recommendation, does it show 2 science letters?

I'm incomplete as well and it's because of my LORs (or lack thereof). My letters were uploaded to AMCAS in the beginning of July and VCU has those letters assigned to it. It's been two weeks. I figured most schools download the letters on a semi-regular basis from AMCAS? :confused: :shrug: I'll probably call later this week and check.

I'm incomplete as well and it's because of my LORs (or lack thereof). My letters were uploaded to AMCAS in the beginning of July and VCU has those letters assigned to it. It's been two weeks. I figured most schools download the letters on a semi-regular basis from AMCAS? :confused: :shrug: I'll probably call later this week and check.
Just went to admissions office in person, said my letters should be processed and app complete by Thursday. My letters were in by July 13th and secondary July 5th.

I submitted my secondary 12 days ago and still remain incomplete. I think the problem is that I added this school, therefore my letters were not pre-downloaded prior to submission.

will the new curriculum absolutely to be in place for the M1 class entering in Fall 2012? I dont want to specifically reference it in my essay on why VCU when there is a possibility that it wont take effect for another X number of years.

will the new curriculum absolutely to be in place for the M1 class entering in Fall 2012? I dont want to specifically reference it in my essay on why VCU when there is a possibility that it wont take effect for another X number of years.

yea i just didn't bother mentioning it. i thought about it, but then i realized i should probably anchor myself to stuff VCU has and is going to have, rather than banking on something that might not be ready yet

My letters were uploaded to AMCAS in the beginning of July and VCU has those letters assigned to it. It's been two weeks. I figured most schools download the letters on a semi-regular basis from AMCAS? :confused: :shrug: I'll probably call later this week and check.

I was in the office volunteering yesterday and the folks that work there said that they have been swamped, but if it's been weeks, give them a call. It can't hurt.

I was in the office volunteering yesterday and the folks that work there said that they have been swamped, but if it's been weeks, give them a call. It can't hurt.

Yeah I sent them a message via their application site and they pretty much said the same thing. I just had a momentary freak-out / pre-med moment (the deadline prolly helped accelerate that) and thought something might've been wrong on my end. :p

*EDIT* aaaaaand complete.

Last edited:
Yeah I sent them a message via their application site and they pretty much said the same thing. I just had a momentary freak-out / pre-med moment (the deadline prolly helped accelerate that) and thought something might've been wrong on my end. :p

*EDIT* aaaaaand complete.

Same here! Finally completeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Got the "we have reservations" status..fully expect a rejection now after checking out last year's thread :(

i get SUPER freaked out by the way VCU sends you an email saying "check your status" w/o actually sayign what the status is. in any case, do they send you one of these "Check your status" emails to tell you if you whether they would like to interview you or not? SHould i just keep checking the site?

Got the "we have reservations" status..fully expect a rejection now after checking out last year's thread :(
Ahhh, that's better than outright rejection, which I got in early July :oops:

Got the MAY status....Is that second Prioity behind Status #1 ie do we know whether status #2 or #3 is better?

Last edited:
I still haven't received an update and I was complete on the 15th.

Got the MAY status....Is that second Prioity behind Status #1 ie do we know whether status #2 or #3 is better?

Both of those statuses can be interpreted as: "we like your application enough for an interview, but we're waiting to see how you compare to the rest of the application pool before extending an invitation"

Got the MAY status today. Guess now it's time for more sitting around and waiting to hear back!

Both of those statuses can be interpreted as: "we like your application enough for an interview, but we're waiting to see how you compare to the rest of the application pool before extending an invitation"

haha I got excited reading the first line and then the momentum just dropped after that. Weird..it's almost like a backhanded compliment

Honestly, the status updates are vague enough that it's impossible to determine which is better. In my opinion:

MAY status = your priority score is set and it may be good enough to land an interview.
FURTHER status = your priority score is not set (e.g. school is determining whether or not the student is a "proper fit"), but your credentials are still strong enough to land an interview.

This is is all mindless speculation on my part :p

Honestly, the status updates are vague enough that it's impossible to determine which is better. In my opinion:

MAY status = your priority score is set and it may be good enough to land an interview.
FURTHER status = your priority score is not set (e.g. school is determining whether or not the student is a "proper fit"), but your credentials are still strong enough to land an interview.

This is is all mindless speculation on my part :p

Did any OOS get the status #1 were you are basically guaranteed an interview?

is mid august still okay to turn in secondaries in general?

I have 5 ATM, one finishing up this weekend. Have VCU in line...

Does it mean anything if we've received 2 complete statuses?

I got this 2 days ago:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

And my TODAY my status changed to "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."

Do these complete status things mean the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.