2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got May message number 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
just to be sure -- they DO send you an email saying "check your status, it's been changed" after the complete email right? that's how you know this, blizzah? i just want to know if i have to keep checking.

just to be sure -- they DO send you an email saying "check your status, it's been changed" after the complete email right? that's how you know this, blizzah? i just want to know if i have to keep checking.

Their email always comes at 6:11 PM

They do send an email, so I wouldn't constantly check all the time.

i get SUPER freaked out by the way VCU sends you an email saying "check your status" w/o actually sayign what the status is. in any case, do they send you one of these "Check your status" emails to tell you if you whether they would like to interview you or not? SHould i just keep checking the site?

No worries, they'll send you an email telling you your status changed (i.e. secondary completed, interview invite, acceptance/rejection/waitlist), so no need to login everyday to the status website.

G'luck and don't go crazy checking your emails everyday just yet. It's still early in the game. :luck:

Does it mean anything if we've received 2 complete statuses?

I got this 2 days ago:
"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

And my TODAY my status changed to "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."

Do these complete status things mean the same thing?

Nope not really. I had three or four of these completed status changes throughout many weeks this past cycle and only then after did I receive a true update and then an interview. It's hard not to have a heart attack each time you see a status change email.

Priority scores are given to all of your files as they are reviewed and are lined up by score and completion date as stated in the status. In other words you have to wait your turn once you're reviewed. G'Luck!

Just received this update yesterday:

The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

got "may" message number 2

submitted 7/21, complete 7/25, status 7/30. man they're working hard

I don't know what the hold up with my application is...complete for over 2 weeks and still no update

why do schools like VCU encourage you to apply early if they're just going to basically tell u "we think you are worthy of an interview but we want to wait till other people submit their application so that we can see how u compare to them." ugh :(

/rant

why do schools like VCU encourage you to apply early if they're just going to basically tell u "we think you are worthy of an interview but we want to wait till other people submit their application so that we can see how u compare to them." ugh :(

/rant
interviews are determined, in part, by submission date:

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Members don't see this ad :)

This is why I am really liking the chances for those of us with early # 2 and # 3 statuses.

here's my question: how many people do you think have already applied and gotten that status?

here's my question: how many people do you think have already applied and gotten that status?

Based on my calculations, if you're OOS, you have a 25% of getting interviewed if you got a secondary. I would say that ~40% of the people who get secondaries get the #2/3 status. That's just an educated guess, though...

I just got the "interested… MAY" status update.

Complete 7/26, OOS 4.0/39N

my app is complete! submitted yesterday!

This post is far too informative to let gather dust in last year's thread, so I'm bumping it :D:

F A Q s

GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESS

1. What is a priority score?

A priority score is assigned to every applicant in order to determine the candidacy of each applicant to enter the next stage in the process. A file reviewer will give you a priority score to determine if you meet requirements for a secondary. Post-secondary, a file reviewer will determine if you deserve an interview. These two scores have little to do with you getting in. After an interview the ADCOM assigns a third priority score to determine if the applicant is to be accepted, put on hold, or rejected. - Instatewaiter

2. Do any out-of-staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

The first batch is the hardest to get in from and they tend to have the highest stats. It is very common that people who interviewed early get pushed along until the committee reaches that priority score. For example: let's say Bob gets a score of 2.5 (1 is the best, 3.5-5 is a rejection). In October they may only offer to a 1.5 (Bob doesn’t get in and gets pushed to the next batch) . In December a 2.0 (Bob doesn’t get in). In January, a 2.2 and in March a 2.5. So Bob would have to wait until March to get in. - Instatewaiter

POST-SECONDARY

1. My application was just complete, how long does it take for them to make a decision about an interview?

VCU has a response time faster than most other schools. The committee usually takes about 1-2 weeks to review a completed application. Keep in mind that this estimate can increase depending on where they are in the application cycle. The length of time also depends on your priority score.

2. I recently got a status update post-secondary, but it was very vague. What does this mean?

I have done some research and it seems that there are 2-3 possible updates that the adcoms send out post secondary review:

A) The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

B) The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

What do these mean? The committee has looked at your file and decided you meet the qualifications for an interview. They do not want to guarantee you an interview right now because they do not know what the schedule will be like 4 months in advance. It would not be fair to guarantee an interview and later rescind it due to a lack of interview spots. Just take this as a good sign. People from the past 2 cycles usually recieve an invitation ranging from two days to a month. So be patient and wait. It could take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks.
It has been speculated that the two messages could be correlated to a certain priority score, but this has not been substantiated by the ADCOM.

C) The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

This is pretty straightforward, but it is important to note it is NOT a rejection. It only means that the person giving the priority score could not come to a decision. Additional staff will look at the file to collaborate for a decision.

POST-INTERVIEW

1. How does the ADCOM determine your priority score?

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score. 1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection.

Felt like this could be PQ'ed once again since a lot of people are starting to get status updates.

No rejection yet... :luck: :xf:

umm a letter from a 4th-year research project supervisor does not qualify as a 'science' recommendation letter? I did get a full credit and a grade for taking this course :S

umm a letter from a 4th-year research project supervisor does not qualify as a 'science' recommendation letter? I did get a full credit and a grade for taking this course :S

Yea I had to convince them as well. Just e-mail them up and they'll fix it for you

so is it the consensus that the essay will come out as one paragraph in the "print" view but the adcoms will see it however you broke it up as paragraphs?

Do they actually take SAT/ACT scores into consideration? I am NOT the same person I was in high school!

Do they actually take SAT/ACT scores into consideration? I am NOT the same person I was in high school!

nah they probably due some weird correlation statistic of SAT scores, MCAT scores, med school acceptance rate thing.

just got the "further" status (no. 3) -- is it still "early" enough for me to basically celebrate this as my first almost-interview? I mean...i'm OOS.

I think thats the magic question on this forum. I hope the answer is yes.

just got the "further" status (no. 3) -- is it still "early" enough for me to basically celebrate this as my first almost-interview? I mean...i'm OOS.

Patiently waiting for that first wave to come out :). I hope it comes soon.

so with the initial round of reviews (aka getting either the #2 or #3 status), what do you all think they have looked at in terms of our application. I say this because another representative from a different medical school did not give me such great news regarding an application to their school and further commented that I would have a tough time this year but I am also having some hope that vcu will pull through given the #3 status i received from them.

so with the initial round of reviews (aka getting either the #2 or #3 status), what do you all think they have looked at in terms of our application. I say this because another representative from a different medical school did not give me such great news regarding an application to their school and further commented that I would have a tough time this year but I am also having some hope that vcu will pull through given the #3 status i received from them.

Considering I'm still standing here with an unbalanced MCAT score, I'd say they looked a couple of things. :laugh:

*wood. knocking. now.*

I've been complete since July 15 and I have yet to receive a priority score. Should I email them? Is anybody else in the same situation?

Does anyone know if they look at rec letters prior to the interview/prior to setting the first priority score? Or, are they a school that only looks at LORs post-interview?

Does anyone know if they look at rec letters prior to the interview/prior to setting the first priority score? Or, are they a school that only looks at LORs post-interview?

I'm pretty sure it's pre-interview (while you are being assigned your score) though I'm not sure that the timing would matter in the long run.

I've been complete since July 15 and I have yet to receive a priority score. Should I email them? Is anybody else in the same situation?

July 13 here and still nothing :confused:

I submitted my app and paid the fee on 7/19 and my letters were uploaded on 7/26, but status still says incomplete. I've been trying to call them all morning but keep getting a message. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be missing and/or thoughts on how to address this? I also emailed [email protected] a week ago but still no response.
It took around 3 weeks after they received my letters for mine to be completed, so don't worry they are working on it.

I submitted my app and paid the fee on 7/19 and my letters were uploaded on 7/26, but status still says incomplete. I've been trying to call them all morning but keep getting a message. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be missing and/or thoughts on how to address this? I also emailed [email protected] a week ago but still no response.

Same here. I submitted 7/17 and they have received all my letters but they designated the letters incorrectly (2 non-sci and 1 sci). I'm still incomplete. Tried the help option and emailed them. Nothing. :(

Have been complete for over a week, no update to my status yet.

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Just got the "interested...MAY" status. complete 07/28

"The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

uggh i wonder when they are going to start with interview invites.

Status
Not open for further replies.