2011-2012 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

1st post! Love Wake, first clinical exposure at this hospital....my picture hangs in the hospital they have to let me in

Will be re-applying here if I don't get off a waitlist this year. I love Wake, and would be pumped to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they start their screening process?

What up Steve? I am applying here as well.

Hey man. How are things? Just living the dream over here :laugh:

Wake Forest is pretty awesome. I think you should def get in! I'm prob border-line, but I'm def a competitive applicant.

Love Wake! Ill be applying here. I'm about eight hours away in TN. Good Luck to all!

Wake is my #1 coming into the cycle (though it's probably a long shot for me). Someone has to bring up the rear anyway, to keep those class profile stats honest :D. The selling point for me is their Institute for Regenerative Medicine (aside from being an overall solid school).

Most researchers in other departments frown on this program because of how much funding they "steal"...basically they view it as a program that requires lots and lots of money but has very little progress

I would really like to go to Wake Forest, but I did the math off the stats from US NEWS weekly, and the interview rates for in-state vs. oos is like (~24% vs. ~5%) (don't quote me on that one, but it there was a big difference). Does Wake Forest give strong preference to in-state residents?

And anyone from there/visited? I have never been to the area.

I would really like to go to Wake Forest, but I did the math off the stats from US NEWS weekly, and the interview rates for in-state vs. oos is like (~24% vs. ~5%) (don't quote me on that one, but it there was a big difference). Does Wake Forest give strong preference to in-state residents?

I don't think they're is any official preference as it's private.

I've never seen the med school but I think Winston Salem is pretty nice. You could definitely do worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm undecided about applying to Wake. Love the school, but they interview such a small number of people that I'm not sure it's worth it. My GPA and MCAT are both slightly above the median. Thoughts from current or accepted students? What do they look for in applicants? Thanks! :)

I think there definitely is some state inbreeding for Wake Forest, though it's private school. They obviously won't admit it.

Anyone know if there are any MCAT cut-off scores for Wake?

I've spoken to some professors @ Wake and it seems like there is a cut-off but they take into account your GPA and MCAT....lower GPA means you need a higher MCAT/low MCAT you need a high GPA. Just speculating here.

Love Wake! Ill be applying here. I'm about eight hours away in TN. Good Luck to all!

Eww we've got a Vol in here ;). Just kidding. GL!

Wake is awesome. I was advised to really express interest in the school since unfortunately it becomes a safety for a lot of applicants. It's a reach for me though so I don't think I'll have that problem :).

Most researchers in other departments frown on this program because of how much funding they "steal"...basically they view it as a program that requires lots and lots of money but has very little progress

This. There is lots of grumblings about this and I've heard of it from professors outside the medical school as well (undergraduate, graduate program, etc).

This. There is lots of grumblings about this and I've heard of it from professors outside the medical school as well (undergraduate, graduate program, etc).

I personally don't buy into the program, at first it seemed "cool" and maybe there will be some great progress in the future but the reality is that it is still in the embryonic stage of development.

also concerning screens this an e-mail response I got about a month ago when I sent some questions to the admissions department

"The primary AMCAS application is evaluated and secondary applications sent to about a third to a half of the applicant pool"

Applying here :)

Funny story is that first time I heard of Wake was when I went to pannera, I saw a bunch of girls acting like teenagers wearing a "wake forest school of medicine" sweatshirt. I immediately googled the school and learned more about it :laugh:

I personally don't buy into the program, at first it seemed "cool" and maybe there will be some great progress in the future but the reality is that it is still in the embryonic stage of development.

Have you guys even looked at the stuff they accomplished? Literally everything they've been doing is a first with it comes to regenerative medicine.

1) Successfully growing and implanting bladders entirely in the lab.
2) Engineering functional petri dish livers.
3) Engineering and successfully implanting urethras.
4) Engineering penile erectile tissue (no implantation yet)

Besides, If you've done any research you know that nothing materializes overnight in any feild. The fact that they've made any breakthroughs at all is outstanding, let alone the extraordinary breadth of their work.

From their website: "Our scientists were the first in the world to successfully implant a laboratory-grown organ into humans and today are working to grow more than 30 different organs and tissues in the laboratory."

http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/WFIRM/A-Record-of-Firsts.htm

I've been totally in love with Wake for quite some time - one of the first three schools I've applied to. I'm still working on the rest of my list. The programs, opportunities, location, and camaraderie at Wake sound great. Should I be sending in "love letters" as soon as possible? lol How do we show them we're really interested, or is that what the secondary is for?

Have you guys even looked at the stuff they accomplished? Literally everything they've been doing is a first with it comes to regenerative medicine.

Besides, If you've done any research you know that nothing materializes overnight in any feild. The fact that they've made any breakthroughs at all is outstanding, let alone the extraordinary breadth of their work.

From their website: "Our scientists were the first in the world to successfully implant a laboratory-grown organ into humans and today are working to grow more than 30 different organs and tissues in the laboratory."

http://www.wakehealth.edu/Research/WFIRM/A-Record-of-Firsts.htm

I've seen what they do first hand, I was in a lab right beside where they were working. I'm not criticizing the program, just giving my opinion

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that these statistics did not match the ones that I calculated from the MSAR. I am an OOS applicant to Wake as well .. one of my considerations on OOS was based off of interview percentages

I've been totally in love with Wake for quite some time - one of the first three schools I've applied to. I'm still working on the rest of my list. The programs, opportunities, location, and camaraderie at Wake sound great. Should I be sending in "love letters" as soon as possible? lol How do we show them we're really interested, or is that what the secondary is for?

+1. I'm a huge fan of class cohesiveness too.

Thanks for the insight. It's a shame though, promising premise anyway. I'd still love to go to Wake nonetheless.

Hey folks, I'm going to be a ms1 here next year. I will probably check in on this thread every now and then to see how things are going and if you have any questions about the app process. Good luck.

Assuming that these are the secondary application essay prompts:

- What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
- Why do you believe that you are particularly suited for this practice scenario?
- What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

...how long are your responses? I'm only doing 3-4 sentences for each (hoping they're not looking for full-fledged essays).

^I wrote maybe two paragraphs or so. I honestly can't remember what the prompts are but I definitely did not write only 3-4 sentences.

My dad did his residency here back in the day and loved it. Good luck everyone!

I wonder if Wake has good primary care programs...hm. must do some research.

can any Wake Forest students comment on chances of getting a interview if you are screened in for the secondary?

can any Wake Forest students comment on chances of getting a interview if you are screened in for the secondary?
I think the chances of getting an interview after secondary is pretty good if you are a strong applicant, and the rate of getting in after the interview is really very good. Being from north carolina and going to wake undergrad probably helps.

I think the chances of getting an interview after secondary is pretty good if you are a strong applicant, and the rate of getting in after the interview is really very good. Being from north carolina and going to wake undergrad probably helps.

I was wondering the same thing. Can't wait until they start screening and sending out those secondaries.

They've seriously spent money on this as opposed to, like, spinal cord regeneration???

thanks, I was confused about this....I've definitely heard they are partial to IS applicants...good for me :D

I vaguely remember something like ~50% of all completed applications get a secondary. To be clear, it is not screened based on GPA/MCAT cutoffs but instead 'holistically.' As for the rest...

Profile of Entering Class 2010 (Graduating 2014)
Applicants 7389

North Carolina 765
Interviewed 544

Accepted 226

North Carolina 85
Out-of-State 141

New Entrants 120

North Carolina 49
Out-of-State 71
Males 65
Females 55
Under-represented in Medicine Minorities 16
Wake Forest 23
UNC-CH 13
Duke 4
NC State 5
Davidson 5

Average MCAT 10.5

Median GPA 3.58

Average Age 23.5

Colleges 58

States 27

Foreign 0

Masters Degrees 9

Ph.D. 0

Alumni (WFU & BG) Total 36

WFSM Alumni 24

(Source: http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Class-Profile.htm)

I vaguely remember something like ~50% of all completed applications get a secondary. To be clear, it is not screened based on GPA/MCAT cutoffs but instead 'holistically.' As for the rest...

Profile of Entering Class 2010 (Graduating 2014)
Applicants 7389

North Carolina 765
Interviewed 544

Accepted 226

North Carolina 85
Out-of-State 141

New Entrants 120

North Carolina 49
Out-of-State 71
Males 65
Females 55
Under-represented in Medicine Minorities 16
Wake Forest 23
UNC-CH 13
Duke 4
NC State 5
Davidson 5

Average MCAT 10.5

Median GPA 3.58

Average Age 23.5

Colleges 58

States 27

Foreign 0

Masters Degrees 9

Ph.D. 0

Alumni (WFU & BG) Total 36

WFSM Alumni 24

(Source: http://www.wakehealth.edu/School/Class-Profile.htm)

speaking to an adcom I think there is some sort of cutoff, and as you can see there is a large number of IS applicants interviewed. Most NC applicants would pick UNC over Wake and maybe ECU because of the tuition factor, hence the lower matriculation rate for IS applicants.

speaking to an adcom I think there is some sort of cutoff

Perhaps, but if you look at past years' threads you'll see plenty of 3.8/35 get rejected pre-secondary. It could be likely, then, that there is both a cutoff as well as holistic review for the secondaries.

Most NC applicants would pick UNC over Wake and maybe ECU because of the tuition factor, hence the lower matriculation rate for IS applicants.

This is spot on.

Perhaps, but if you look at past years' threads you'll see plenty of 3.8/35 get rejected pre-secondary. It could be likely, then, that there is both a cutoff as well as holistic review for the secondaries.

This is spot on.

I think this may do with where the applicant went to undergrad, and the fact that the applicant might be using WFUSOM as a backup. In the end it's all speculation, just sharing what I've been told.

might partially just be speculation, i was slightly worried about that at one point last year but eventually i was accepted w/ a 3.8/35. it makes me curious as to what wake forest looks for in their applicants.

might partially just be speculation, i was slightly worried about that at one point last year but eventually i was accepted w/ a 3.8/35, but i was also from the region.

awesome, let us know how the year goes. I'm from the area and love the school. Only problem I have is the facilities are a bit-outdated at Wake, including the hospital.

I think this may do with where the applicant went to undergrad, and the fact that the applicant might be using WFUSOM as a backup. In the end it's all speculation, just sharing what I've been told.

I've loved Wake for a while now, and I hope they don't assume I'm using them as a backup. A few state schools are my only backups. I'll be able to write about how much I love Wake in the additional comments section of the secondary, but only if I get it...

I've loved Wake for a while now, and I hope they don't assume I'm using them as a backup. A few state schools are my only backups. I'll be able to write about how much I love Wake in the additional comments section of the secondary, but only if I get it...

haha this is my worry as well

wait i don't think they are...i just got an email saying that they are looking at apps now and that the email isn't a secondary..

wait i don't think they are...i just got an email saying that they are looking at apps now and that the email isn't a secondary..

I got that email too. Checked my status and it said that I should be notified about whether or not I will get a secondary within 1-2 weeks.

Ya I made a mistake removed my post...I got too excited

Status
Not open for further replies.