2011-2012 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.70, 33Q MCAT, OOS

Members don't see this ad.

I received the rejection status. Definitely did not expect that to happen. Oh wells. Much better pre than post-secondary.

Getting the secondary too. Status changed today, now just waiting for that email. Do you guys know how selective they are with this screen?

My rejection is indicative that it's not a stats screen. They may be looking for a certain type of EC. My mdapps shows my numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sorry to hear that Leo :(. I am baffled that you were rejected as well. With your stats, though, you will surely land somewhere. Good luck to you.

My rejection is indicative that it's not a stats screen. They may be looking for a certain type of EC. My mdapps shows my numbers.
Yeah that's really surprising you didnt get a secondary?!? Sorry to hear that, the stuff you have on your MDApps shows you have stunning stats and good extracurriculars.

I just checked my status and it says

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail. Please allow 2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

My stats: 3.31 cGPA, 3.29 sGPA, 35R MCAT, OOS

Screened in finally!!!!!

MCAT: 28Q 12,6,10 (but had a 9 in verbal the first time taking)

Thanks Steve and Ommu. Congrats to you both and good luck with the application cycle.

Woohoo, got a secondary on the way!!

32P, cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.32, OOS

Over-qualified screen, I guess..

I was thinking the same thing.

EDIT: But a 41 MCAT was screened in earlier.

dang.. then IDK... I guess it depends on who looked at your primary.. they must different people looking at them..

Getting a secondary.

Non-trad applicant:

MCAT: 35Q
cGPA: 3.4 (econ major)
sGPA: 3.9 (rocked post-bacc; last science course was in high school)

I'm not sure what the criteria is for receiving a secondary. I have no research experience (but will be getting some during this year) but I do have professional experience.

dang.. then IDK... I guess it depends on who looked at your primary.. they must different people looking at them..

Yeah, I am definitely not over-qualified for this school. 90th %ile last year was a 37 MCAT, and my cGPA is mediocre.

One thought is in 2003 at U.Chic I had 5 failed classes and 5 withdrawals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you all have your letters submitted already? Mine won't be on AMCAS until tomorrow, and I'm wondering if that's why I haven't heard from Wake yet.

Yeah, I am definitely not over-qualified for this school. 90th %ile last year was a 37 MCAT, and my cGPA is mediocre.

One thought is in 2003 at U.Chic I had 5 failed classes and 5 withdrawals.
It is seriously impressive that your grades remain fairly strong even with 5 failed classes and 5 withdraws. I know what it's like to start college full time way too early, before you're ready to do so and then having to make it up later. Don't worry, you will do fine this application cycle. :)

I honestly cannot comment on pre-secondary criteria. Seems to be pretty large variability in the types of applicants that get rejected and screened in. Admittedly, it seems baffling from the outside, I trust that they have their own modes of evaluation.

School starts for us MS1s in about 2 weeks. Hope to see some of you guys on interview days.

Last edited:
Do you all have your letters submitted already? Mine won't be on AMCAS until tomorrow, and I'm wondering if that's why I haven't heard from Wake yet.

none of my letters are in yet.

It is seriously impressive that your grades remain fairly strong even with 5 failed classes and 5 withdraws. I know what it's like to start college full time way too early, before you're ready to do so and then having to make it up later. Don't worry, you will do fine this application cycle. :)

I honestly cannot comment on pre-secondary criteria. Seems to be pretty large variability in the types of applicants that get rejected and screened in. Admittedly, it seems baffling from the outside, I trust that they have their own modes of evaluation.

School starts for us MS1s in about 2 weeks. Hope to see some of you guys on interview days.

Thanks Uncle Phil. I'm very jealous of your screen name.

i'm guessing "You will be receiving notification of your application status by e-mail." is the rejection status?

anyone know how many people get secondaries and how many move on to the interview round?

I hope so too!

i'm guessing "You will be receiving notification of your application status by e-mail." is the rejection status?

I think so :(. Sorry citrus. Keep up the hard work and it will all pay off.

Mine aren't submitted yet either

don't know if it really helps anyone but sure why the hell not:

3.38 cgpa, 3.27 sgpa, 3.85 MPH gpa, 32R.

haha i should be expecting this more but whatever. saved me the secondary fee to concentrate on others! gotta plug on through. good luck to everyone out there fighting the good fight!

don't know if it really helps anyone but sure why the hell not:

3.38 cgpa, 3.27 sgpa, 3.85 MPH gpa, 32R.

haha i should be expecting this more but whatever. saved me the secondary fee to concentrate on others! gotta plug on through. good luck to everyone out there fighting the good fight!

Thanks and good luck to you as well- keep up the good fight yourself.

wow.. there seems to be no pattern to their rejections..

Well, can't wait to get a screened secondary for once.

Screened in this morning
Last year: 3.55 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA, 32 MCAT (screened in last year as well, rejected pre-interview)
This year: 3.70 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 32 MCAT (not counting on anything, but I'd be happy with an interview :))

Yay! Getting a secondary.

cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT:33R

I still haven't even gotten an email saying they have gotten my primary yet, was approved 6/28...

Passed the screen!!

MD/PhD applicant, OOS, 4.0 40S

Screened in. Also just received email they need to hear from my advisor that I will have my graduate degree complete by matriculation.

Last edited:

Me too citrusguy2010 :thumbdown:
Just got the rejection PDF.
No worries though, I'm a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason"
Stay strong, I'll keep my :xf: for you this season.

Same here; I was verified 6/20.

Haven't either - verified 6/22. Glad to hear we're all in the same boat.

Hopefully they just haven't had to chance to review our applications yet and that the silence is not a rejection!

Haven't either - verified 6/22. Glad to hear we're all in the same boat.

Hopefully they just haven't had to chance to review our applications yet and that the silence is not a rejection!

Maybe we'll be the second round of secondary reviews?

1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Or

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Why do you believe that you are particularly suited for this practice scenario?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?

And: Personal Statement

Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school.

Please answer ONE of the following questions

1. The Committee on Admissions invites you to share important and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Or

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this path?
You may write as much as you want. This box accepts unlimited text.

Edit: Lol, 1 minute right after Steve

Essay

Or

Personal Statement

Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school.

I might turn this one in today... good thing there's no Why Wake question!!

Or

And: Personal Statement

Haha, beat me to it! Good luck everyone!

Thank you for posting the prompt! Are there character/word limits for the essays?

Are you guys going to do the personal statement section? I feel like with unlimited space for the other essay, along with my real personal statement, what else is there to talk about?

Status
Not open for further replies.