About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2011-2012 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, May 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm sure you had killer stats though, just like ksmi :cool:
  2. cyanide

cyanide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No. You can get an interview invite without having the dean certification form in. You cannot get a decision on your file (post-interview) without the form though.
  3. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does anyone know if we can fax the Dean's Certification Form to our old schools?
    It seems to indicate they want the original signed forms.
  4. sexycani

sexycani

SDN 2+ Year Member
    can someone please tell me by whom we have to get this thing signed off by? like anyone at the registrar's office or what?
  5. chocobo90

chocobo90

Pre-Medical
    I called my registrar and the associate dean said he can sign it and mail it off
  6. Illinois2012

Illinois2012

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I haven't done it yet, but I doubt I'm going to be writing anything. I figure it's going to come off a lot worse if I either make up some BS hardship, or really stretch something that wasn't that bad and make it seem terrible when they are going to get essays from people that have had to deal with serious issues.
  7. gbr0509

gbr0509

This is probably a really dumb question...but where do you access the Dean's Certification form? I can't seem to find it.
  8. bohbohyum

bohbohyum

Pre-Medical
    I would appreciate some advice. For the optional question about unique experiences/obstacles, would it be shallow to discuss a grade that I don't feel reflects my ability? I'd like the opportunity to explain why my GPA is not as high as I feel that it could've/should've been (I basically took on too much that semester, and unfortunately had all my finals on the same day), but I don't want to give the impression that I consider this a hardship while others have experienced serious disadvantages/challenges. Should I leave it blank or go ahead and discuss my grades? I'd value your input. Thanks!
  9. bohbohyum

bohbohyum

Pre-Medical
    When you're in the supplemental application, you click "Return to MyApp" on the left-hand sidebar. On the new page's sidebar, you'll see the option "3. Print Dean's Certification." Hope that helps!
  10. njs2012

njs2012

Hey guys,

I went to a quarter system school, and I was wondering if I have to convert my quarter units to semester units in the Calculus courses sections? They specifically asked for semester credits, so I was a bit confused!

Thanks!
  11. orchestra

orchestra

What college-level calculus courses that included integral and differential equations will you complete prior to starting Medical School? AP credits are accepted if listed on your Transcript.

If I already took the calculus course with other required ones
    like Biology, General or inorganic chemistry, Organic chemistry
    and Physics, do I still list it or I don't have to do it to repeat ?

Thanks
  12. MilkIsGood

MilkIsGood

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I listed my calc 1 and calc 2 courses i took in freshman year.
  13. musik2468

musik2468

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Why do they want to know our SAT/ACT scores and high school GPA? What if they aren't spectacular? Does anybody know how they use this information? Would it look bad if I just left that section blank?
  14. Cinclus

Cinclus =^..^= Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been wondering the same thing, and would also like some opinions.

Also, for the ".unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome " question,. do you folks think it would be appropriate to discuss the undiagnosed/untreated Celiac disease I had growing up? It was misdiagnosed at least a dozen times (usually as a psychiatric problem, such as "attention seeking" or as anorexia.....in a 6-yr-old!) before being properly diagnosed in my 20's, and it caused me (and my family) a lot of pain and emotional suffering (at certain points in my life I was literally starving, and I looked like it). I just don't know if if would be construed as too dramatic or personal. My diagnosis was a big "why medicine?" inspiration.
  15. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    my opinion is schools might try to correlate these scores to medical school admissions/success, it's probably purely statistical and has 0% weight in admission.
  16. Narmerguy

Narmerguy SDN Senior Moderator

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Go for it :thumbup: Just don't sound melodramatic and like you're seeking sympathy but use it to show an insight into what drives you.
  17. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Anyone else receive an information pack from this school?
    I just got an envelope in the mail outlining their admissions process with what looks like this years prospectus.
    Postmarked June 21st.
    Good luck everyone!
  18. Nomdeplume

Nomdeplume (nom nom nom)

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got a packet in the mail just like that today. I thought it was really nice and hospitable of them to send out something physical like that :thumbup:
  19. pooghe

pooghe

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    yeah got that pack in the mail today. postmarked on the 21st. nice of them to send something physical in the mail.
  20. dancinchic511

dancinchic511

If we transferred, do we need to get a dean's certification from both schools or only the school we graduated from?

Thanks!
  21. musik2468

musik2468

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Only schools where you expect to get a degree.
  22. EliteBeat9

EliteBeat9 The Elite Beat

Do we need our picture uploaded to be complete and considered for interview? Or can we wait on that like the dean's certification form?
  23. YouNeverKnow22

YouNeverKnow22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm still so reluctant to send my app off here, all my friends in med school at other top schools and what I've seen in statistics is that this school is extremely number oriented. I'm not sure how I feel about a school so obsessed with numbers.
  24. rrmix

rrmix

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You should probably change your name, lol
  25. centraldogma

centraldogma The Young Wolf

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :thumbup:
  26. rrmix

rrmix

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    that's a good Q, i'm wondering the same thing
  27. MilkIsGood

MilkIsGood

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    submitted the secondary
  28. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats. I did too. Have my picture uploaded, fees payed and certification sent. Now the waiting game!
  29. MilkIsGood

MilkIsGood

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    is your mcat score received? my primary hasnt been verified yet, so just wondering.
  30. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Everything but my letters and my dean certification
  31. Edie43

Edie43

Pre-Medical
    Do you think family illness would be appropriate to discuss in the "unique experience/obstacles" section? I mentioned it briefly - only like one sentence in my PS - so I'm wondering if I should elaborate. I don't want to sound trite though since family illness is a common hardship..
  32. lazy

lazy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    also wondering this
  33. chaingangdx

chaingangdx

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Have you had a chance to meet Dr. Gregory Polites yet?
    He's the best ever!!!
  34. rxnfiend

rxnfiend

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is anyone marked complete on their secondary website that has everything in except the dean's certification? My letters are received, photo uploaded, fee paid, and secondary submitted but it still says application incomplete.
  35. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Mine is missign Certification and Letters?(wtf) and fee
  36. sam500

sam500

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I emailed and asked about this very same situation. They said that someone had to go in and verify each file and then they'd mark it as complete. This process could take a week.
  37. rxnfiend

rxnfiend

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Perfect, thanks! :)
  38. GoldenGrizz14

GoldenGrizz14

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got the packet today. After looking through the information I have to say I'm very excited about this school...it looks amazing. I'm still in the early stages of my application, but I'm hoping I'll be fortunate enough to receive an interview. I'm from a lesser known state school so I hope I can still be competitive. Good luck to everybody! :luck:
  39. ksmi117

ksmi117 GEAUX TIGERS!!! Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes, Dr. Polites is the best. He was my clinical mentor this year when we went into the hospitals to interview patients and he is in charge of the whole first year Practice of Medicine class.
  40. chaingangdx

chaingangdx

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm currently an undergraduate here ; he teaches Medprep at the UG campus and a lucky few (myself included) had a chance to shadow him at Charles F knight..
  41. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got the packet too. Nice of them. My committee letter is still missing from my WUSTL status but they finally got my fee yay. Kinda wondering about the committee letter since it was the kind I selected in AMCAS. oh well ill give it a week or two
  42. MedReckoning

MedReckoning

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry to hear about it. It's a depressingly common story, though. Apparently everyone thinks that humans evolved to eat grass seed and can handle its many toxins with no ill effects; after all, that's how we got our large brains and predator-quality vision... from picking out cereal grains... with spears and fire. Check out the Paleo diet. And the work of Thomas Szasz, if you want to stick it to psychiatry, which deserves it too.

As a re-applicant, I wrote about being rejected and the internal character flaws I had to overcome in the "obstacles" section. Any opinions on such an option? It was a bit of a gamble - but so is Wash-U. Better than a BS story of hardship - not that coming to America as penniless Soviet refugees wouldn't count - but c'mon, I don't want my app to elicit a conditioned response of nausea.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  43. rrmix

rrmix

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't worry! It says letters won't be marked as received until after july 1st.
  44. BMEN

BMEN Bow ties are cool.

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good sir you are my sanity savior. Cheers
  45. musik2468

musik2468

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What's the consensus on the optional essay question? I can definitely think of some obstacles that I could talk about, but they happened long ago and really don't impact me much anymore, so I'd risk sounding insincere or like I was just looking for pity. All of my unique experiences were already mentioned in my primary. Should I just leave it blank?
  46. rrmix

rrmix

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    IMO, if someone has to ask about this I dont think you should write anything. Not to be hard or anything like that.
  47. Fanforever

Fanforever

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hmm... leaving the "optional" essays blank seems a bit iffy... Can we have more opinion on this? I don't really have any particularly unique experiences or hardships/challenges. Having lived in different countries might be a bit unique but is not so unique that it'd look that special if I wrote about it.
  48. nadaba

nadaba

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I submitted my secondary on the 20th, and they still haven't received my letters. I wonder if I need to email them...
  49. zqx

zqx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    No need - it says online that they won't start recording letters as received until after July 1.
  50. nadaba

nadaba

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Completely missed that. Thanks! :thumbup:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.