2011-2012 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To everyone that has been accepted:

Is there anything REALLY important in the packet you get in the mail? I won't have access to my mail for a couple of weeks and I just want to make sure that I'm not screwing myself over. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything REALLY important in the packet you get in the mail? I won't have access to my mail for a couple of weeks and I just want to make sure that I'm not screwing myself over. Thanks guys.

Yes, you have to send back and sign two forms with 14 calendar days of when they sent it out so i would email, call, whatever them asap

You have to return an acceptance form and technical standards form within 2 weeks of receiving the packet if you want them to hold a spot for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you have to send back and sign two forms with 14 calendar days of when they sent it out so i would email, call, whatever them asap

You have to return an acceptance form and technical standards form within 2 weeks of receiving the packet if you want them to hold a spot for you.

Damn, thanks guys.

lol we're on top of this! posted one minute apart haha

So I take it only those that have been accepted have heard? No waitlists yet?

Does Wright State send any rejections post interview or does everyone end up on the waitlist?

So I take it only those that have been accepted have heard? No waitlists yet?

Does Wright State send any rejections post interview or does everyone end up on the waitlist?

There are rejections post-interview for sure. At least there were last year.

There are rejections post-interview for sure. At least there were last year.

Yea, this is pretty standard across all schools.

That being said, way to be a downer, Iso.

Good luck to all applicants - I'm not sure if I've introduced myself: current first-year at the 'ol Boonshoft, happy to answer any questions y'all might have! :thumbup:

HEY YA'LL

Another MS1 here, if anyone wants to talk to probably THE MOST AWESOME FIRST YEAR you can ask me questions instead of isoprop and glasshalf...

BTW WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TWO

And congrats to all those accepted! I absolutely love it here!

HEY YA'LL

Another MS1 here, if anyone wants to talk to probably THE MOST AWESOME FIRST YEAR you can ask me questions instead of isoprop and glasshalf...

mmm, not telling. are you possibly the one known for YOUR USE OF ALL CAPS? I give myself credit for convincing you to attend WSU over Toledo in last year's thread :ninja:

mmm, not telling. are you possibly the one known for YOUR USE OF ALL CAPS? I give myself credit for convincing you to attend WSU over Toledo in last year's thread :ninja:

Have they interviewed any sub 30 out of staters yet lol

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY YA'LL

:ninja:

Hey hey hey, don't take all the credit. IIRC, I was in that thread too spreading the Boonshoft propaganda.

Have they interviewed any sub 30 out of staters yet lol

Don't know the stats of the the interviewees so far, but I would guess that yes they have.

Hey hey hey, don't take all the credit. IIRC, I was in that thread too spreading the Boonshoft propaganda.

OKAY FINE we both get credit for getting her here.

... and judged for sitting at home on our computers on a Saturday night. :eyebrow:

OKAY FINE we both get credit for getting her here.

... and judged for sitting at home on our computers on a Saturday night. :eyebrow:

Hahaha! I am half watching/listening to lectures. So I'm being productive too! (Okay maybe not)

Hahaha! I am half watching/listening to lectures. So I'm being productive too! (Okay maybe not)

... I'm not. I'm watching TV. Good for you, though!

to all applicants: last night was the halloween party, it was lots of fun, come here so you can experience the fun next year :thumbup:

POSSIBLY?!?!???!?!

Totally figured you two out. With the help of a certain Zanesville Tiger.

POSSIBLY?!?!???!?!

Totally figured you two out. With the help of a certain Zanesville Tiger.

I'm not difficult to figure out. I mean come on, you and I should be co-social networking chairs after all. I thought with the three gunshot wounds, the tiger would have died on Friday - I guess he's very resilient. I have my guesses on Iso's real identity, but I'm still not sure. HELP ME.

I got everything sorted out with the admissions office, thanks again to everyone for your advice.

Has anyone had any luck with "in the area" emails or phone calls? I'll be flying to Ohio from WA for the second time in December, and considering my funds are limited it would be pretty awesome to not pay for a third flight out there...

Any more interview invites? complete since 8/31

Don't fall for any traps! The interviewer did test me to see if I would make fun/disrespect DOs. They later told me that many students will degrade osteopathic physicians in their responses (sometimes even unintentionally). I had a very laid back and solid interview, however other students were a little caught off guard - from our discussions between interviews in the break room. Awesome campus, awesome staff, kind students :thumbup:.

surprising. Bad interview?

No. I thought they went well. The faculty one was awesome. We had a lot in common. The student one was okay but not bad by any means. I'm actually kind of sad about this and would like to know what happened.

Accepted earlier in the week via email.
I interviewed mid October, offer came in the mail Saturday.
Very excited. IS 31S, 3.6

Accepted earlier in the week via email.
I interviewed mid October, offer came in the mail Saturday.
Very excited. IS 31S, 3.6
Congrats!! So I guess it took about 3-4 weeks? I interviewed early november and waiting to hear back.

Congrats!! So I guess it took about 3-4 weeks? I interviewed early november and waiting to hear back.

Yes, I'd imagine by the end of November/early December, you will likely hear from them. Best of luck.

No. I thought they went well. The faculty one was awesome. We had a lot in common. The student one was okay but not bad by any means. I'm actually kind of sad about this and would like to know what happened.

I'm really sorry to hear that! If you feel like you can, you should try giving the admissions office a call and ask if you can speak to someone about what happened that may have resulted in a post interview rejection. I'm not sure how WSU is about that but I know a lot of schools I interviewed at last year were pretty receptive to this. Obviously, you can't change anything about it now for Wright State but it might help you in future interviews. Good luck and don't beat yourself up too hard about it...I had many many many disappointments last year but you'd be surprised how things can turn around!

I'm really sorry to hear that! If you feel like you can, you should try giving the admissions office a call and ask if you can speak to someone about what happened that may have resulted in a post interview rejection. I'm not sure how WSU is about that but I know a lot of schools I interviewed at last year were pretty receptive to this. Obviously, you can't change anything about it now for Wright State but it might help you in future interviews. Good luck and don't beat yourself up too hard about it...I had many many many disappointments last year but you'd be surprised how things can turn around!

I figure I would do that in May 2012.

I figure I would do that in May 2012.

For sure do. BUT it may be smarter to do it before you have another interview, in case it was something you inadvertently said or did that you weren't aware of (which, honestly, would be good because its something you can easily change!).

Either way, good luck in the rest of the app process!:luck:

Can any current students comment on how many hours of lecture you have each day in the first 2 years, whether its mandatory, if material is posted online in video/audio format, when it is posted etc.?

Can any current students comment on how many hours of lecture you have each day in the first 2 years, whether its mandatory, if material is posted online in video/audio format, when it is posted etc.?

For the first 2 years it really depends on the class. Generally, you have your core class 9-12 Mon-Thurs, then you have ICM on Fridays for 2-3 hours. For some classes you'll have labs as well, plus we take an ethics class on Wednesday afternoons. It's really not ALL that much time spent in class at all so its nice to have the afternoons free. Its different for anatomy though since you have lab and the lectures are all online. You can see some of the schedules here if you want: http://med.wright.edu/medu/m1

Lecture isn't mandatory except for Ethics and ICM. All the lectures are posted online (video & audio) and you can watch them on double speed which is nice. They're usually posted pretty quickly after lecture is over

Hopefully i get the acceptance email this week. Theyre meeting to talk about me wednesday

Hopefully i get the acceptance email this week. Theyre meeting to talk about me wednesday
Good luck! did you call and ask? when did you interview? I am waiting for decision as well and I interviewed almost a month ago. One of my interview went bad so I am not expecting much but still very anxious. :(

Good luck! did you call and ask? when did you interview? I am waiting for decision as well and I interviewed almost a month ago. One of my interview went bad so I am not expecting much but still very anxious. :(

Thanks! I interviewed on the 9th. One of my interviewers emailed me with a follow-up question he forgot to ask and mentioned that they would be reviewing me on the 30th.

Side-note, does anyone know wright states average step 1 score? I can't find it anywhere...

Congrats everyone! When are your interviews? I'm a current M1 and I love it here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello! I'm new to the MD boards and I am very interested in this school! I'll be trolling this school's boards for a while now since I won't be applying for a couple more cycles. :xf: Quick question though, what is the grading system for this school? Pass - fail or letter grades? And how is the competitive spirit amongst the student body?
Thanks!

Hello! I'm new to the MD boards and I am very interested in this school! I'll be trolling this school's boards for a while now since I won't be applying for a couple more cycles. :xf: Quick question though, what is the grading system for this school? Pass - fail or letter grades? And how is the competitive spirit amongst the student body?
Thanks!

Grading here is pass / fail but your percent in the class will show up on your transcript, as well as your class rank (which is the most important).

There is little to no competition between students here, and thats one of the reasons why I actually chose WSU. Students obviously want to do well but everyone is more than willing to help each other out (like if one person finds something helpful online they'll send it out to the whole class...etc). The whole atmosphere is pretty laid back which is really saying a lot for a med school.

Grading here is pass / fail but your percent in the class will show up on your transcript, as well as your class rank (which is the most important).

There is little to no competition between students here, and thats one of the reasons why I actually chose WSU. Students obviously want to do well but everyone is more than willing to help each other out (like if one person finds something helpful online they'll send it out to the whole class...etc). The whole atmosphere is pretty laid back which is really saying a lot for a med school.

That's great to hear! Thanks for the info!

For the first 2 years it really depends on the class. Generally, you have your core class 9-12 Mon-Thurs, then you have ICM on Fridays for 2-3 hours. For some classes you'll have labs as well, plus we take an ethics class on Wednesday afternoons. It's really not ALL that much time spent in class at all so its nice to have the afternoons free. Its different for anatomy though since you have lab and the lectures are all online. You can see some of the schedules here if you want: http://med.wright.edu/medu/m1

Lecture isn't mandatory except for Ethics and ICM. All the lectures are posted online (video & audio) and you can watch them on double speed which is nice. They're usually posted pretty quickly after lecture is over

There's TBL sessions that are also mandatory (and graded). They can range from 1-2x per week to just a few for an entire block. On average, there is about 5-8 hours of mandatory hours per week with most lectures being optional.

Also, in third and fourth years, there are grades (H, HP, P, F). Of course this probably is true for every med school in the country.

got my waitlist letter today, pissed.

Same for me. But it sounds like it is not even a waitlist. It is basically waitlist for waitlist? Maybe I got a letter different from you. But I was surprised that I did not get rejected because one of the interview went pretty bad. :( I guess I have to wait until May to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.