2011-2012 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the best areas / apartment complexes for Wright States med students? Any tips / lessons learned from current med students on finding a great place to live. Not interested in being too near partying undergrads.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the best areas / apartment complexes for Wright States med students? Any tips / lessons learned from current med students on finding a great place to live. Not interested in being too near partying undergrads.

Most people live in one out of a couple of apartment complexes.

An overwhelming majority of our class lives in Ashton Brooke. I don't think there are many undergrads there.... if any. Its right across the highway (so maybe like a 5-7 minute drive depending on traffic...?). Check that out--but it fills up pretty fast so you might have to put yourself on a waitlist or some crap. I think everyone I know that lives there is pretty satisfied with it.

Another good one is Mallard Landing (which is where I live). It's basically the same thing as Ashton Brooke but maybe like 4 minutes farther down the road. Not as many med students live there but I think there's still a good amount (maybe like 10 from my class or something). I have no complaints, so check that out too.

Other than that, a lot of people live in the various apartment complexes on Zinc Road (The Province, The Highlands, Peppertree(???) I can't remember all of them...). I think that these apartments are fine but a lot of undergrads live here so you'd take a chance with some noise, etc...if that's something you're concerned with I'd try to get Mallard or Ashton Brooke first.

A few more rando places that I can remember where people live in the area are Channingway which is like an exit down the highway, Emerald Lakes Apartments, andddddd that's all i can think of right now.

Most people live in one out of a couple of apartment complexes.

An overwhelming majority of our class lives in Ashton Brooke. I don't think there are many undergrads there.... if any. Its right across the highway (so maybe like a 5-7 minute drive depending on traffic...?). Check that out--but it fills up pretty fast so you might have to put yourself on a waitlist or some crap. I think everyone I know that lives there is pretty satisfied with it.

Another good one is Mallard Landing (which is where I live). It's basically the same thing as Ashton Brooke but maybe like 4 minutes farther down the road. Not as many med students live there but I think there's still a good amount (maybe like 10 from my class or something). I have no complaints, so check that out too.

Other than that, a lot of people live in the various apartment complexes on Zinc Road (The Province, The Highlands, Peppertree(???) I can't remember all of them...). I think that these apartments are fine but a lot of undergrads live here so you'd take a chance with some noise, etc...if that's something you're concerned with I'd try to get Mallard or Ashton Brooke first.

A few more rando places that I can remember where people live in the area are Channingway which is like an exit down the highway, Emerald Lakes Apartments, andddddd that's all i can think of right now.

Mallard is the best.

I would add The Lofts at Willow Creek (super nice but a little bit pricier) to the list, but munki got most of those I would suggest. If you want to be a bit further away from the main drag, there are some places closer to The Greene (an outdoor shopping center kinda thing with lots of restaurants and bars) - for example Fieldstone. Also, a little closer to downtown you have some places like Woodman Park.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone get fitted for a white coat and get a photo taken at the interview? It got me a little excited but I guess it could be for a number of reasons.

Did everyone get fitted for a white coat and get a photo taken at the interview? It got me a little excited but I guess it could be for a number of reasons.

They do that on the reg here and a few other places I interviewed at. I thought it was kind of a TEASE at the time though!

:shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

When did all of you interview?

EDIT: I guess a better question would be if these were pre or post-interview rejections.

Thanks! Good luck with the rest of the season. I interviewed at WSU about a month ago and am getting pretty antsy waiting.

I'll add to the rejection train :D. Was pretty sure I'd get an interview here being instate and all, but no biggie. Got into my top choice anyways.

I'll add to the rejection train :D. Was pretty sure I'd get an interview here being instate and all, but no biggie. Got into my top choice anyways.

From talking to others, WSU is pretty unpredictable. Congrats on getting your top choice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here on Nov. 29 and I still haven't heard anything...wtf?!?!

I interviewed here on Nov. 29 and I still haven't heard anything...wtf?!?!

You should definitely call admissions on Monday and see whats up.... sometimes they take a while to get back after interviews but that's kinda ridik.

instate, 34+ MCAT, 3.9 GPA, decent extracurriculars

pre-interview rejection

This process is honestly impossible to figure out.

The med school app process transcends human understanding. Everyone knows that.

Haha. I'd like to think that there is a reasoning behind each rejection and acceptance, especially for Wright State. One of the things I believe Wright State does really well is picking its students. IMO, there is a general ‘type’ of student that tends to go here. Don't get me wrong, we do have our niches (or lack there of) in class. But the general temperament and attitude towards school that most of our students have is very similar. We are ‘competitive’ but not in a traditional sense. We all want to do as best as we can but are not willing to cut other classmates down in the process. Most of the students here are always willing to help other classmates out if they need it. That is the general type of student we usually get. A ‘very down to earth, school is important but there are other things in life more important’ type of person.

Haha. I'd like to think that there is a reasoning behind each rejection and acceptance, especially for Wright State. One of the things I believe Wright State does really well is picking its students. IMO, there is a general ‘type’ of student that tends to go here. Don't get me wrong, we do have our niches (or lack there of) in class. But the general temperament and attitude towards school that most of our students have is very similar. We are ‘competitive’ but not in a traditional sense. We all want to do as best as we can but are not willing to cut other classmates down in the process. Most of the students here are always willing to help other classmates out if they need it. That is the general type of student we usually get. A ‘very down to earth, school is important but there are other things in life more important’ type of person.

What mattybee is describing is the reason I chose to come here. I completely agree.... The WSU community is notorious for having a certain attitude (^) and it's very important to everyone in it that we continue to foster that. The admissions committee takes this into strong consideration with every student they decide to interview. I get the impression that they place just as much importance on the general attitude of the interviewee as they do mcat/gpa/etc. If they feel you don't fit this 'mold' for whatever reason, you're not going to get in no matter how great your stats are on paper. In my biased opinion, this is more true at Wright State than most other schools I've had exposure to.

What mattybee is describing is the reason I chose to come here. I completely agree.... The WSU community is notorious for having a certain attitude (^) and it's very important to everyone in it that we continue to foster that. The admissions committee takes this into strong consideration with every student they decide to interview. I get the impression that they place just as much importance on the general attitude of the interviewee as they do mcat/gpa/etc. If they feel you don't fit this 'mold' for whatever reason, you're not going to get in no matter how great your stats are on paper. In my biased opinion, this is more true at Wright State than most other schools I've had exposure to.

I understand what your point is, but I guess I wonder how much of someone's attitude they can tell about at the pre-interview stage? I would think that your stats would get you the interview, and then following that the attitude evaluation would come into play in terms of an acceptance or not, that's all.

It just seems hard to follow that someone with very similar stats as me would not be granted an interview and I have been based on some kind of intangible factor. I mean WSU doesn't even have any secondary essays or anything, so how much of a difference can they tell between the two applicants' attitudes/ability to fit the "mold" at that point?

I understand what your point is, but I guess I wonder how much of someone's attitude they can tell about at the pre-interview stage? I would think that your stats would get you the interview, and then following that the attitude evaluation would come into play in terms of an acceptance or not, that's all.

It just seems hard to follow that someone with very similar stats as me would not be granted an interview and I have been based on some kind of intangible factor. I mean WSU doesn't even have any secondary essays or anything, so how much of a difference can they tell between the two applicants' attitudes/ability to fit the "mold" at that point?

Keep in mind some schools are also known to reject those that they believe would not attend their school if granted an acceptance. This could be due to having significantly higher scores or variety of other reasons. Yes, I know, it is not fair at all.

From what I understand, Wright State doesn't accept any updates or letters of interest/intent once they've evaluated an applicant and put them on the waitlist. Is this correct? Or do I have some way of attempting to control my fate at this point?

I respect your point, but I disagree with you on this one. The AMCAS application contains a lot of information, even beyond stats. Reading a personal statement, looking at the school one attended, major, courses taken, gender, location, age, race/ethnicity, and all of the activities one participated surely helps make a decision when choosing whether to interview someone. Every medical school is looking to have a diverse student body, so they MUST look at more than just GPA/MCAT.

I believe how you write about your activities and your personal statement is a significant part of you application here. I also believe your volunteer work is weighted more heavily here than other schools in the state.

From what I understand, Wright State doesn't accept any updates or letters of interest/intent once they've evaluated an applicant and put them on the waitlist. Is this correct? Or do I have some way of attempting to control my fate at this point?

This is correct. There's literally nothing you can do at this point except wait.

This is correct. There's literally nothing you can do at this point except wait.
Thanks for confirming, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just strap myself in and enjoy the ride. You're at a great place, and I hope I get the chance to join you there.

Hey guys. I think I missed it during my interview, but how are we made aware of the adcom's decision? Email? Call? Letter?

Thanks for confirming, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just strap myself in and enjoy the ride. You're at a great place, and I hope I get the chance to join you there.

Try not to stress too much! I know that's easier said than done. I was in your same shoes last year, so I know the feeling. Just try to keep reminding yourself that you've worked hard and done all you can do at this point. Things will work out one way or another, even if it's not what you think you want at the time. I was really upset about a lot of my rejections last year, but in retrospect, it all worked out for the best because it landed me at WSU which I honestly think is the best place for me, personally.

It is a great place...I hope you join us here as well :)

I am interviewing here tomorrow and I was wondering if any past interviewees had any tips, advice, general thoughts on the day?

I am interviewing here tomorrow and I was wondering if any past interviewees had any tips, advice, general thoughts on the day?

Go in with an open mind. It is a relatively relaxing day that concludes with your two, one hour(ish) interviews. Be prepared to explain any weaknesses in your application and have a few comments/questions to ask that show your interest in the school. Smile, appear confident and you'll be fine. Good luck!

When does Wright State begin offering scholarships? I remember they said that~80 first years received scholarships based on their AMCAS information. Will we find out before May 15th?

Nearly 4 weeks since my interview and still no word. Does it usually take the whole 6 weeks to hear back or is it different for everyone? Trying to be patient (this is difficult) and keeping fingers crossed. :xf:

It's only been 2.5 weeks for me, but the wait is killing me. Just like me already, Wright State.

I'm with you guys.. it has only been 1.5 weeks for me haha and I can hardly stand the waiting... come on Wright State :xf:

Anyone know, or have seen a trend, as to what day the acceptance/decision email comes?

I'm done obsessing after this post, or I'll try. Thanks.

Nearly 4 weeks since my interview and still no word. Does it usually take the whole 6 weeks to hear back or is it different for everyone? Trying to be patient (this is difficult) and keeping fingers crossed. :xf:

I know waiting can be really frustrating but try to hang in there! At this point, I'd just recommend you go ahead and assume it's going to take the full 6 weeks. There's no rushing this stuff!

Try and relax...you've done everything you can do at this point.

instate, 34+ MCAT, 3.9 GPA, decent extracurriculars

pre-interview rejection

No one really understands their process. I was 32S, 3.85 GPA, good EC, research in BSOM faculty's lab, LORs from WSU department chairs and BSOM faculty. Early Dec. interview. Got bottom 1/3rd of the waitlist and got in the week before school started. Screwed me out of a year's worth of Air Force scholarship by getting in so late.

No one really understands their process. I was 32S, 3.85 GPA, good EC, research in BSOM faculty's lab, LORs from WSU department chairs and BSOM faculty. Early Dec. interview. Got bottom 1/3rd of the waitlist and got in the week before school started. Screwed me out of a year's worth of Air Force scholarship by getting in so late.

How/when did you find out which third of the waitlist you were in?

How/when did you find out which third of the waitlist you were in?

They might not tell you what 1/3 you are in once you find out that you are on the alternate list. When smashweights applied, they did, but when I applied last year they didn't tell us our rank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they'll rank the alternate list once all the interviews are over (around now). They should have told you during your interview day whether or not they were planning on sharing that.

I know waiting can be really frustrating but try to hang in there! At this point, I'd just recommend you go ahead and assume it's going to take the full 6 weeks. There's no rushing this stuff!

Try and relax...you've done everything you can do at this point.

Thank you! It is difficult sitting in this position in late March but reallllllly hoping for good news soon. :)

Someone made a post back in October stating 282 interviewees were accepted to Boonshoft, 197 IS and 85 OOS. But I overheard someone during my interview in mid March telling another interviewee that their interviewer or some staff member in the office told them that approximately 150 had been accepted to Boonshoft as of that date. The figures posted and what I overheard do not match.

Someone made a post back in October stating 282 interviewees were accepted to Boonshoft, 197 IS and 85 OOS. But I overheard someone during my interview in mid March telling another interviewee that their interviewer or some staff member in the office told them that approximately 150 had been accepted to Boonshoft as of that date. The figures posted and what I overheard do not match.

I assume you are referring to this post:

According to US News and World Report:

Applied: 2756
Interviewed: 464
Accepted: 282 (~61%)
Enrolled: 101

In State:
Applied: 1022
Interviewed: 328
Accepted: 197
Enrolled: 77

Out of State:
Applied: 1734
Interviewed: 136
Accepted: 85
Enrolled: 24

Hope this helps! ;)

Your question is pretty unclear but I will take a shot at answering it. Wright state typically has about 100 students per class, for example the current first year class of 2015 has 103 students: http://www.med.wright.edu/about/facts
The number of "accepted" students that you see in the post above is just that, the number of student that they eventually accepted. However, only 103 enrolled. This is because some students that were accepted chose to go to another medical school instead and then they pulled some people off the wait list. Medical schools also always initially over accept more than their goal class size because they know some of those students will have acceptances at other schools. Wright state should start hearing back from some students in May that they plan to attend another school. Then Wright state will start pulling people off the waitlist until they have their desired class size (making their total "acceptances" a lot more than their enrollment).

Hopefully that made sense.

I assume you are referring to this post:

Your question is pretty unclear but I will take a shot at answering it. Wright state typically has about 100 students per class, for example the current first year class of 2015 has 103 students: http://www.med.wright.edu/about/facts
The number of "accepted" students that you see in the post above is just that, the number of student that they eventually accepted. However, only 103 enrolled. This is because some students that were accepted chose to go to another medical school instead and then they pulled some people off the wait list. Medical schools also always initially over accept more than their goal class size because they know some of those students will have acceptances at other schools. Wright state should start hearing back from some students in May that they plan to attend another school. Then Wright state will start pulling people off the waitlist until they have their desired class size (making their total "acceptances" a lot more than their enrollment).

Hopefully that made sense.

I understand that the number of accepted students is greater than the number of students that matriculate. If what I heard was correct, that 105 people were accepted as of mid march, then according to the data posted here on SDN then about 100 more people will receive an acceptance. That does not make sense, that gap is far too large for this late in the cycle.

I understand that the number of accepted students is greater than the number of students that matriculate. If what I heard was correct, that 105 people were accepted as of mid march, then according to the data posted here on SDN then about 100 more people will receive an acceptance. That does not make sense, that gap is far too large for this late in the cycle.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but I would guess that more than 100 people have been accepted by now. Maybe 150 or so. Keep in mind, once the May 15th deadline approaches, we all have to commit to one school...so spots inevitably open up at most schools.

What you heard was probably incorrect. They have almost certainly accepted more than 105 people by mid-march, I would guess around 200.

What you heard was probably incorrect. They have almost certainly accepted more than 105 people by mid-march, I would guess around 200.

I typed that backwards, I meant 150 people. That is still low though given over 200 are accepted per cycle. Its hard to imagine 50-100 more people would be offered acceptances after mid-March.

I typed that backwards, I meant 150 people. That is still low though given over 200 are accepted per cycle. Its hard to imagine 50-100 more people would be offered acceptances after mid-March.

Its not exact. Since that date, probably 25 or so acceptances went out. I would guess at least 25 acceptances will be given to those on the waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.