2011-2012 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let everyone interested in Boonshoft that I was in the anatomy labs today and the installation of five new 70-inch flat screens, camera for instructor demonstrations, new sound system, and other generally awesome electronics is more than halfway complete. This will make dissection demos a BILLION times nicer, and is a great addition. Thought I'd share this cool news :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a letter stating I am on a "stand-by list" that will be ranked in May.

So does this mean I made it to the waitlist and will be ranked?
Or does it mean I am being considered for the waitlist and can still be rejected?

When I called they told me that meant I was on a waitlist.

Currently those that have been sent a letter that stated they were on the "stand-by list" will soon receive a letter concerning the ALTERNATE LIST.

The Alternate list will be compiled and letters mailed in the next 2 weeks. Based on your rating given by the committee you could receive a letter that places you on the Alternate List, and you will be told which tier, Top, Middle or Bottom. You could also be rejected at this point and not placed on the Alternate List.

We do understand that this is a long process and waiting is not fun. Please be patient with us as we get this process done. I just wanted you all waiting to have the process explained and to know that letters will be sent soon. We will begin making offers as soon as spots become available. We cannot predict when that will be, nor do we know how many spots we will be able to offer as this differs every year. As we get into the summer we may be able to give you a better idea, but realize that this would be a guess, based on past experience. We do not release what number you are on the wait list nor how many we hold on the wait list.

This is the process in a nutshell. I wanted you all to have the facts, straight from the admissions office. I wish you all the best in this process.

Debbie--BSOM Admissions Office

Ms. McNeely,
I just wanted to thank you on behalf of a current applicant who is feeling the stress of this application cycle. Your transparency regarding the rest of this process is very much appreciated, and, at the risk of speaking on behalf of other applicants on this thread, it is very refreshing from an applicant's stand-point. I am happy that I now know what to expect and can still onto some hope regarding Wright State BSOM. Again, genuinely, thank you for taking the time to come onto this forum and providing this information.

Thank you and all the best,
AnxiousApplican

On Saturday I received a letter stating that I am in the top third of the waitlist. Does anyone know if Wright State traditionally starts accepting off of the waitlist before May 15th?

On Saturday I received a letter stating that I am in the top third of the waitlist. Does anyone know if Wright State traditionally starts accepting off of the waitlist before May 15th?

It's possible that people may come off the wait list before then, but typically the majority of the movement will happen after the 15th.

So does that mean everybody should be receiving a letter soon? And congrats! From past years thread the top of the waitlist generally fares pretty well

Top third of waitlist. Anyone know how the waitlist moved last year? Hoping to hear news in May or June. :xf:

I was fortunate enough to be placed in the top third of the waitlist as well (got the letter a couple days ago). From looking at last years thread it seems that they didn't release positions on the waitlist, so it's impossible to really know how far through the waitlist they got last year. The waitlist didn't start moving until the week following May 15th (it was a Sunday last year). Overall, there were a handful of acceptances off of the waitlist, but the thread was not very active. It seemed like <10 people posted that they had been put on the waitlist, and I'll assume that the list is substantially larger. I'm going to stay hopeful though; I'd really like to attend WSU BSOM and am hoping that I get the chance to.

Can any of the current students comment on whether a letter of intent would be taken into consideration at this point? I don't want to tick them off, but I'd like a way to show them that I'm still very interested at this stage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of the current students comment on whether a letter of intent would be taken into consideration at this point? I don't want to tick them off, but I'd like a way to show them that I'm still very interested at this stage.

Unless they've changed things since last year, a letter of intent won't make a difference at this point. From what I can remember, they don't consider any updates or LOIs at this point. Pretty sure last year I sent a post interview update and they said that they'd put it in my file but no one would look at it, or something to that nature.

Top third of the waitlist should go ahead and start apartment hunting around the area.
Middle and bottom third aren't out of the running til school starts.

I do not think letters would be of any use. As I understand it, the rankings are set and being admitted is simply based on how many students offered a position, accept. They move down the list offering positions as students enroll elsewhere during the summer and eventually stop upon reaching the filled class (~100 students). May the odds be ever in your favor ;)

I do not think letters would be of any use. As I understand it, the rankings are set and being admitted is simply based on how many students offered a position, accept. They move down the list offering positions as students enroll elsewhere during the summer and eventually stop upon reaching the filled class (~100 students). May the odds be ever in your favor ;)

Why would you enroll elsewhere if you got into wright state?

"Top third of the waitlist should go ahead and start apartment hunting around the area.
Middle and bottom third aren't out of the running til school starts."
:

I would but I really don't want to jinx it!!! ;)

anyone know when we're supposed to hear about financial aid?

anyone know when we're supposed to hear about financial aid?

Have you been accepted? If so, then you should have received something in the mail with instructions to get into your wright email. You should have many emails from the financial aid manager, [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Michelle Feichtner, about the aid awards.

Bumble-B-Tuna

Have you been accepted? If so, then you should have received something in the mail with instructions to get into your wright email. You should have many emails from the financial aid manager, [FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Michelle Feichtner, about the aid awards. .

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Bumble-B-Tuna.

oh really? haha hmm...i feel like an idiot now. ive definitely checked my wright state email and definitely have never gotten any emails on it let alone any from her lol. i hope i havent been waiting weeks to make a decision about wright state bc ive been waiting for fin aid only to find out it came out weeks ago haha. maybe ill try calling them tomorrow. thanks!

oh really? haha hmm...i feel like an idiot now. ive definitely checked my wright state email and definitely have never gotten any emails on it let alone any from her lol. i hope i havent been waiting weeks to make a decision about wright state bc ive been waiting for fin aid only to find out it came out weeks ago haha. maybe ill try calling them tomorrow. thanks!

I also have not received any e-mails...they should be going out in April, right?

Has anyone here done the pre-matriculation program (or know someone who has)? I am coming in right after undgrad but I'm a non-science major and to be honest sciences are not my best subjects so I think it might be useful to me. But a month seems like a lot of extra time to commit (not in the long run, but in terms of doing fun stuff in the summer before we start). Thoughts?

There's a good number of people in our class who did it. I THINK the general consensus was that it was helpful (and they're all pretty close now too so it was a good way to get to know people). I'm going to send you a PM.

Has anyone here done the pre-matriculation program (or know someone who has)? I am coming in right after undgrad but I'm a non-science major and to be honest sciences are not my best subjects so I think it might be useful to me. But a month seems like a lot of extra time to commit (not in the long run, but in terms of doing fun stuff in the summer before we start). Thoughts?

I have spoken to current students and they advised me to do it (also non-science). They mentioned the little bit of material you will see, especially anatomy, will help some. The biggest advantage they said is the familiarity with everything and you will already have a group of friends/people you know when school actually starts.

When did people last year start hearing that they were off the waitlist?

Just withdrew my acceptance today, which included a full tuition scholarship for 1 year. Hope it helps one of you! Best of Luck.

Just withdrew my acceptance today, which included a full tuition scholarship for 1 year. Hope it helps one of you! Best of Luck.
What School did you choose over Wright State? Reasons?

Got a full ride for four yrs to Toledo...most likely going to take that

tough since this was my first acceptance but withdrawing today

Sadly just withdrew my acceptance but glad to give it to someone waiting. Good luck. :)

Does anyone know how Wright State gets in contact with you about whether or not you have been accepted off the waitlist? Do they call you, email you, or snail mail you?

Accepted off top third of waitlist yesterday! Recieved email at 9:30 AM! I will be going to WS Boonshoft next year!!! Class of 2016! :)

I just withdrew from the top third of the waitlist. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Accepted today off of the WL. Top 1/3, IS. I am planning to withdraw, so best of luck to everyone still waitlisted!

How many are usually waitlisted?? I'm top-third IS and still waiting :p

How many are usually waitlisted?? I'm top-third IS and still waiting :p
I'm in the same position, top-third and IS. Do any of the current students know if the waitlist usually continues to move this late? Tough not to lose hope at this point...

I'm in the same position, top-third and IS. Do any of the current students know if the waitlist usually continues to move this late? Tough not to lose hope at this point...

The waitlist will definitely continue to move. Its only been a couple weeks since may 15 so I'd say it's for sure too early to give up hope. People in our class continued to get off the waitlist up until the week before class started

Any luck yet??? I called them a week ago and they told me to call them back if I don't get anything from wright state, I'm not sure what they mean by this. :eek:

I am an oos student in the top third and still waiting. Any news from people? Good luck still.

What it means is that....we probably gave you a time....if you have not heard back from us by the end of June, give us a call. At that time we will be in a better position to gauge if we would be able to make you an offer.

Debbie
Office of Admissionls

What it means is that....we probably gave you a time....if you have not heard back from us by the end of June, give us a call. At that time we will be in a better position to gauge if we would be able to make you an offer.

Debbie
Office of Admissionls

Thank You for clarifying :)

Just accepted today. Got a phone call. I was a top third oos on the waitlist. Excited to be part of the WS Boonshoft SOM class of 2016!!!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how waitlist movement this year compares to previous years??:D

I think that it is moving slow. I called at the beginning of June and I was told that I would probably hear in a week or two weeks. They told me that this was an estimation of course. Nothing is guaranteed. I then called back last week and they told me that they were at a standstill. Here I am, end of June and still waiting. Good luck to everyone. I am trying to stay hopeful, but I am already reapplying.

JUST GOT INTO BOONSHOFT LAST FRIDAY! BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!! Here I come class of 2016! It's going to be an AMAZINGLY EPIC YEAR:) So excited! Hopefully there is still some more movement for those waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.