2011-2012 Yale Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

1st post! I love the idea of the Yale system...so exciting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Did you receive an email about the secondary, or did you just find it online? Are all applicants invited to submit? I'm verified.

Its just up online through the Yale website. Its been up for a while. You can enter info and submit any time.

So I assume we can just submit without an email?

Essay, done. :cool:

BLITZ! Time to rock out the 2ndary. yay for essays!

Finished and sent! Anyone else keeping track of dates for all your schools?

Now, if I can only get some secondary love from my ROLLING admissions schools...

how many activities/distinctions are you guys putting under significant activities/distinctions? Are they supposed to be different from the ones we indicated as significant on our primaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand Yale is "non-rolling". Does this mean that they only look at applications after, say , a certain date?

Does anyone know the timeline? Thanks!

I understand Yale is "non-rolling". Does this mean that they only look at applications after, say , a certain date?

Does anyone know the timeline? Thanks!

They will look at your app. after the secondary and LOR are in.

Invitations to interview are extended between August and February. They are sent by email, so we urge you to keep your email address up to date.

Yale does not have "rolling admissions." Decisions are made at the conclusion of the interview season, and decision letters to all applicants will be mailed before the end of March.

These quote came directly from Yale website

+1.. That one-hundred reasons to attend Yale makes me want to re-write my secondary.

Do they accept AP credits? I know the website says taking advanced courses is "encouraged" for students who have AP. But is it required?

A couple of questions about the secondary:
-Is it detrimental not to write anything on the additional information page/if so what are you supposed to write there?
-How many activities are you supposed to list? I'm guessing not all of the ones from AMCAS but is it bad if you only have a few in each category?

btw, makes no sense to rush on this school because they don't have rolling admissions

No, but it will only help your application. the more information the better

Last edited:
Hey guys did you stick with only the things you listed in the AMCAS experience section because I did not list and achievements or distinction opted for stating my hobbies instead. But I feel strange leaving the box empty.

Hey guys did you stick with only the things you listed in the AMCAS experience section because I did not list and achievements or distinction opted for stating my hobbies instead. But I feel strange leaving the box empty.

I stuck pretty much with what was on my AMCAS, except I added activity I forgot and one that is ongoing but not really worthy of a spot on AMCAS (I'm a non-trad, 9 years out of college, so I filled all 15 spots on AMCAS).

I'd say try to stick with AMCAS activities and use the optional essay for hobbies if that they are important to you. To me, listing AMCAS activities in order of significance lets the adcoms see in more depth how your activities influenced your time/application/interests, etc.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

You don't need any more letters for Yale if your school doesn't have a premed committee:

http://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/letters.aspx

"A premedical committee letter is recommended for all MD and MD/PhD applicants. If your school does not have a premedical committee, or if you have been out of college for a significant period of time, you must submit at least three letters of recommendation, two from individuals in the sciences who are familiar with you and your work.

You may list up to five letters of recommendation within the supplemental application."

Lol, did you really just ask this question at every single school!!!!!

lol...to all the schools that i applied to...just wanna double check...i am kinda scared after reading the thread about LORs ( must have 2 science and 1 non-science). then I checked each school's website and it says differently..sorry for the flood of posts~

lol...to all the schools that i applied to...just wanna double check...i am kinda scared after reading the thread about LORs ( must have 2 science and 1 non-science). then I checked each school's website and it says differently..sorry for the flood of posts~

There's a reason these schools have websites and why the MSAR exists. You could have not stressed and done some homework yourself.

What kind of things go under Achievements/Distinctions??

In my current job I have been selected for two "special" positions that I will be including, but they're not individual AMCAS entries.

Also, for achievements, I would consider putting something like running a race, but that's in my AMCAS under a general "hobbies" entry and I don't consider my other hobbies (baking, etc) to be achievements, haha.

For the optional section, would it be appropriate to elaborate on an interest you listed on AMCAS? (Ie, a what are you passionate about / interested in). Can a current accepted student comment? Thank you!

Wow. Yale is worth a shot then. I'm taking my MCAT next month so I really appreciate the non-rolling process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone been completed at Yale?

Just submitted my primary to Yale. I couldn't resist.

Did they download your LORs and MCAT score? I submitted my secondary on June 23rd and it still says incomplete with no dates next to those items. Weird. :oops:

Submitted secondary on June 21, complete 1 July. Yes, they downloaded everything.

Did they download your LORs and MCAT score? I submitted my secondary on June 23rd and it still says incomplete with no dates next to those items. Weird. :oops:

No worries, I'm in the same situation. I have a feeling they may be going by last name alphabetical order.. care to verify? :laugh:

No worries, I'm in the same situation. I have a feeling they may be going by last name alphabetical order.. care to verify? :laugh:

Haha not a chance since my last name is in the beginning of the alphabet. :laugh:

I got the email inviting me to do the secondary on 6/22, as well. But I haven't submitted yet. I just read a post saying that adcoms take into account the date submitted and if you wait more than 2 weeks (it's been about 3 weeks now, maybe more) it hurts your app because it shows your hesitancy. Is this true? I'm a perfectionist so I started my essay last week but I'm still working on it...I took my time because the email said it was a non-rolling school and there is no advantage to interviewing earlier. So I got the impression I could take my time.

Has anyone completed or submitted secondary recently?

Note: my letters have not yet been uploaded to amcas.

They've received my letters and mcat score, but under "Application completed and in review on" it says NO....

Anyone have a similar or different status?

They've received my letters and mcat score, but under "Application completed and in review on" it says NO....

Anyone have a similar or different status?

I have the same thing. I'm assuming that they just haven't uploaded the letters and MCAT yet - those are the two that do not have a date by them. Is anyone labeled complete?

I have the same thing. I'm assuming that they just haven't uploaded the letters and MCAT yet - those are the two that do not have a date by them. Is anyone labeled complete?

My letters were sent into AMCAS on Monday and I was labeled complete at Yale yesterday afternoon

Then I'm confused - my letters have been in AMCAS for a month. I'd better call.

Then I'm confused - my letters have been in AMCAS for a month. I'd better call.
It took them over 2 weeks after submitting my secondary for them to be marked as complete. So I'd wait on it for atleast a week.

It took them over 2 weeks after submitting my secondary for them to be marked as complete. So I'd wait on it for atleast a week.

It's been over 3 - I was marked as received on the 22nd.

EDIT: I called - once it's in electronically, they have to do lots of manual stuff, so it could take a week or two more for it to appear as complete on the status page.

Last edited:
It's been over 3 - I was marked as received on the 22nd.

EDIT: I called - once it's in electronically, they have to do lots of manual stuff, so it could take a week or two more for it to appear as complete on the status page.

Good looking out!

Status
Not open for further replies.