2011-2012 Yale Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind sharing what day you are interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

Just send a pre-interview letter of interest...maybe this will help me get one of those last interview spots. Cross my fingers!

Just send a pre-interview letter of interest...maybe this will help me get one of those last interview spots. Cross my fingers!

from what i've heard, they do not accept these- could you let me know if they accept yours?

Members don't see this ad :)
II email this morning! Scheduled for early Feb. Complete early Nov.

from what i've heard, they do not accept these- could you let me know if they accept yours?

Didn't even get an email saying they got it. I guess they don't accept them but it was worth a try. I really hope I can slip through and get an II.

II email this morning! Scheduled for early Feb. Complete early Nov.

Same here! Must've sent out a batch. Flights are painfully long and expensive from Edmonton. But, Yale! Yay! :laugh:

I'm guessing they are all done handing out interviews now, right?

Same here! Must've sent out a batch. Flights are painfully long and expensive from Edmonton. But, Yale! Yay! :laugh:

Congrats!

(You scored a 43; I hate you)

In what order does Yale interview? Do they interview high MCAT scorers first, like 36+? I submitted November 11th, complete Nov. 17.

Received II this morning via email, complete 8/30. Available interview dates extended into 2nd and (I think) 3rd week of February.

For current students: does Yale offer any merit-based awards? I tried researching it but could not find anything. How competitive is Yale's financial aid program?

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has already interviewed at Yale comment on the faculty meet and greet? It seems like a great idea and something I haven't encountered at most schools.

Can anyone who has already interviewed at Yale comment on the faculty meet and greet? It seems like a great idea and something I haven't encountered at most schools.

It's a faculty member talking about his experiences/medicine/yale to all the interviewees while sitting at a large table for about 30 minutes. I think they did this right before lunch when I visited. It's nice, though when I went he talked a lot about how awesome Yale was (not that I disagreed with any of it, lol).

I just emailed them. Will post their reply when I get it, but I sure hope not. :xf:

Okay, officially, someone from the admissions office told me that they're sending out invites until the beginning of February this year. Not much time left, but for those of us who are waiting, we have around 3 weeks (give or take a few days).

:luck:to all of us!

I've heard that at this point even if invited we're just interviewing for a waitlist spot. Does anyone know how much truth there is to that? (Not trying to be a downer, just wanting to keep my expectations realistic.)

I've heard that at this point even if invited we're just interviewing for a waitlist spot. Does anyone know how much truth there is to that? (Not trying to be a downer, just wanting to keep my expectations realistic.)

Well Yale is not rolling, so I think everyone that interviews is in mire or less the same position.

Does anyone know if they make decisions internally on a rolling basis like some other schools supposedly do (Duke)?

Well Yale is not rolling, so I think everyone that interviews is in mire or less the same position.

Does anyone know if they make decisions internally on a rolling basis like some other schools supposedly do (Duke)?

I would like to know this as well.

I was told that the committee typically meets one week after the interview to review and score applicants from that day. The rankings are updated as the season goes on. The cutoff is set after all interviews are done and applicants notified in March.

I was told that the committee typically meets one week after the interview to review and score applicants from that day. The rankings are updated as the season goes on. The cutoff is set after all interviews are done and applicants notified in March.

So it's kinda like the Match for residency haha. A hybrid between rolling and nonrolling.

I had a dream that I was accepted to Yale, and I got so excited during the phone call that I peed my pants. I told the caller what happened, and she said, "Ew. You can't come to our school."

I woke up with dry pants.

I had a dream that I was accepted to Yale, and I got so excited during the phone call that I peed my pants. I told the caller what happened, and she said, "Ew. You can't come to our school."

I woke up with dry pants.

hahaha... I had a dream last night that I was accepted into Columbia, but I swear it had something to do with watching the "i just got in" youtube video by yale med students.

Just got an II!! But it seems so late, as I was complete in July. I've already been accepted to one of my top choices (Hopkins), but then again Yale is...Yale. Do you guys think it's worth going to the interview?

Just got an II!! But it seems so late, as I was complete in July. I've already been accepted to one of my top choices (Hopkins), but then again Yale is...Yale. Do you guys think it's worth going to the interview?

only if you need financial aid that Hopkins won't give you but Yale will (e.g. If you are international).

As you say Yale is Yale. However, if you see yourself going to any of the schools you've already been accepted to over Yale, I wouldn't spend the money. If Yale might beat out Hopkins, then go to the interview. Both are awesome schools, I'm sure you will be pleased at either. Another way to look at it is Hopkins is Hopkins.

PS. If you decide not to go to the interview, pass it my way ;)

I as well earlier this week. My conundrum is in wondering if I'm just interviewing for a wait list spot, despite the reported details stating otherwise. I had a friend who went there who basically failed a couple classes (I'm not sure how that is possible...given their system), and my student hosts at Columbia who went there for undergrad said that New Haven is...well...exactly what it looks like. Hopkins is awesome! And Baltimore is awesome (former Baltimoron here...but not a Ravens fan)! If you go, let me know how you liked New Haven/Yale.

I as well earlier this week. My conundrum is in wondering if I'm just interviewing for a wait list spot, despite the reported details stating otherwise. I had a friend who went there who basically failed a couple classes (I'm not sure how that is possible...given their system), and my student hosts at Columbia who went there for undergrad said that New Haven is...well...exactly what it looks like. Hopkins is awesome! And Baltimore is awesome (former Baltimoron here...but not a Ravens fan)! If you go, let me know how you liked New Haven/Yale.

You could say the same for Baltimore as well. There are a lot of similarities between the two cities, actually.

I think Yale has its own unique merits, most notably the Yale System. But the decision to go is ultimately up to you, soccerboy. Either way, congratulations!

only if you need financial aid that Hopkins won't give you but Yale will (e.g. If you are international).

Yale is clearly amazing in its own right, but the above is one of the reasons I'm still holding out for an invite from here. Some schools *coughHopkinscough* are just so incredibly expensive for international students. Yale, please invite me.

I had to quickly Google to ensure Baltimoron was not the actual official demonym for a resident of Baltimore.

OMG Baltimore is so much cooler than New Haven (or so I choose to believe). It gave us Animal Collective and Dan Deacon. And yes candav...I can like Justin Bieber and pretentious hipster experimental synth pop too.

Good luck to everyone regardless of personal preferences!

OMG Baltimore is so much cooler than New Haven (or so I choose to believe). It gave us Animal Collective and Dan Deacon. And yes candav...I can like Justin Bieber and pretentious hipster experimental synth pop too.

Good luck to everyone regardless of personal preferences!

I'm sure that makes you at least twice as cool as me, as my playlist consists solely of Bieber/Miley/Selena Gomez/Demi Lovato.

ETA: The Jonas Brothers were over once Nick went solo.

Forgot to chime in here about an II too; can't believe my reach school wants to meet me! Super honored and looking forward to it! G'luck everyone (those with interviews coming up and those waiting for invites).

Last edited:
Re: Jonas Bros...yes, totally.

Now you can all go back to talking about Yale.

OMG Baltimore is so much cooler than New Haven (or so I choose to believe).

Isn't Baltimore the city that gets nuked in that Harrison Ford movie? That is literally all I know about it; I'm not sure why the terrorists found it so offensive.

Interviewing on the 17th!

Has anyone who submitted the Yale secondary mid-November received an interview invite? I've been complete since mid November and no word yet.

Isn't Baltimore the city that gets nuked in that Harrison Ford movie? That is literally all I know about it; I'm not sure why the terrorists found it so offensive.

Interviewing on the 17th!

You are correct...I think they got mad because Baltimore is such a baller city, and they were like "dayum...I'm jealous." In fact...that is exactly what happened.

Does anyone know when Yale stops interviewing (I know it's in March, but when?) Also, how much time between receiving your II and the actual inteview? I'm not very optimistic about my chances here, but thought I'd check:oops:

Does anyone know when Yale stops interviewing (I know it's in March, but when?) Also, how much time between receiving your II and the actual inteview? I'm not very optimistic about my chances here, but thought I'd check:oops:

I did email the office. I was told interview invites will be extended until early February. If I don't hear from Yale by Feb 10, I will conclude that I am out of the running. But I'm hopeful :xf:

Thanks for the input everyone! I formally declined the invitation to interview yesterday. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

Hey guys, does anyone know how many students Yale accepts from the ~800 that it interviews? I know that 100 end up matriculating to form the first year class, but how many get accepted outright post-interview?

I apologize if this has been answered before; I've seen mixed numbers, and can't find it on the MSAR.

Hey guys, does anyone know how many students Yale accepts from the ~800 that it interviews? I know that 100 end up matriculating to form the first year class, but how many get accepted outright post-interview?

I apologize if this has been answered before; I've seen mixed numbers, and can't find it on the MSAR.

I was told on my interview day by admissions staff they usually admit between 200 and 250 total, with the first batch of acceptances going out in the middle of March, then they trickle out after that depending on how many people hold spots.

Sounds about right. The latest US News has them accepting 264 students recently (I think this is for 2010).

^Thanks guys! Good luck to you with your applications.

Interview invite today! An awesome news.

Submitted secondary on last day, complete Dec 16. Available dates were next week and the week after.

Edit: March 1st just opened up for sign up today, so it's definitely not over for those who haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I know that this question has already been answered a couple posts ago. But...

How many students do Yale really accept (not waitlist, but accept) outright on March 13th? Don't you guys think that it is a bit too much for them to offer 200-250 acceptances straightout for only 100 spots?

I guess the question boils down to this: do you guys know whether Yale over-accepts students?

Personally, I think that it's gonna be like this: 110-120 straight out acceptances, 100 waitlists, and the rest rejections.

I don't think anyone other than admissions really knows, but I think you are on the right track. No way they would accept anywhere near 200 right away, though. Way too much financial risk.

I don't think anyone other than admissions really knows, but I think you are on the right track. No way they would accept anywhere near 200 right away, though. Way too much financial risk.

I was told that Hopkins is planning to accept 180-190 this year for a class of 120, including MD/PhD, and their yield is higher than Yale's, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.