2011 Non-Trad Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drimpossible

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get it started, Non-Trads!

George Washington University: drimpossible (I:9/16)
University of Kentucky: drimpossible (I:10/9)

==============Update Instructions==============

1. Click "QUOTE" in THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. Remove the quote tags at the beginning and end of the message. Those are the (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) but with brackets in place of the parentheses.
3. Add yourself. (If you're adding a school, add it in alphabetical order.)
4. Write what you did in the title at the top.
5. If you think you might mess it up, just ask to be added!

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date)

Members don't see this ad.

Let's get it started, Non-Trads!

Uniformed Services University: Armywife06 (II: 8/13, I:9/16)

2. Remove the quote tags at the beginning and end of the message. Those are the (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) but with brackets in place of the parentheses.

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date)

Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

best wishes to you all!!! i hope to see lots of nontrads represented in the class come next fall!!!!:thumbup:

University of Minnesota: militaryman (II:8/12)

You basically have the possibility of losing all your anonymity when you take part in this.

I don't know why people make a big deal about anonymity on SDN. We shouldn't be acting like jerks on the Internet anyway (and that has nothing to do with the fact that we want to be doctors -- it has to do with basic human respect). If adcoms found out exactly who I was, I wouldn't be ashamed of my post history.

I don't know why people make a big deal about anonymity on SDN. We shouldn't be acting like jerks on the Internet anyway (and that has nothing to do with the fact that we want to be doctors -- it has to do with basic human respect). If adcoms found out exactly who I was, I wouldn't be ashamed of my post history.

human nature to assume the worst.

Who has protecting anonymity has anything to do with being an A*hole?

That depends on the person. There are plenty of mods who don't list any personal info, yet the mods aren't A*holes.

Food for thought.

Congratulations on the progress guys! I remember how exciting it was when the first interview invite came...it started to become real. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::luck:

As for anonymity - we've done this sort of the thread every year for a while. It's a supportive, informational environment (or at least it used to be, nontrad has changed its character over the years to become more and more preallo :(). People have also used various approaches to maintaining some semblance of anonymity. For example, not putting your whole date of interview, just the invite date and the month of the interview. Generally speaking I agree with evergrey though that if you don't behave differently than you would in real life you don't have much to worry about in terms of anonymity. Many of the mods are well known by some forum members IRL...I know a couple. And beyond that I think the mods keep things tight because they would potentially get harassed otherwise.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the progress guys! I remember how exciting it was when the first interview invite came...it started to become real. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::luck:

As for anonymity - we've done this sort of the thread every year for a while. It's a supportive, informational environment (or at least it used to be, nontrad has changed it's character over the years to become more and more preallo :(). People have also used various approaches to maintaining some semblance of anonymity. For example, not putting your whole date of interview, just the invite date and the month of the interview. Generally speaking I agree with evergrey though that if you don't behave differently than you would in real life you don't have much to worry about in terms of anonymity. Many of the mods are well known by some forum members IRL...I know a couple. And beyond that I think the mods keep things tight because they would potentially get harassed otherwise.

Important distinction. Some people know who they are, as in a few select people.

Btw, I could care less what everyone does. It is a free country. I was just pointing it out to the new people.

RE: anonymity - I value my privacy as much as anyone and I do believe some is lost by participating in this thread. However, I have learned a ton from other nontraditional students posting on SDN, and I started this thread as a way to give back and to encourage those who will come after us. To me, it is the least I can do.

:luck: Good luck everyone.

(Love the Franklin avatar, btw. :))

Last edited:
Brown: lmarina1 (I:10/18)
George Washington University: drimpossible (I:9/16) lmarina1 (I:10/8)
Pitt: lmarina1 (I:10/1)
SUNY Downstate: lmarina1 (I:9/28)
UMDNJ - NJMS: drimpossible (II:8/24)

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (I: Mid Oct)

Georgetown: drimpossible (I:9/22)

FIU: eablackwell (c: 7/12 ii: 8/26 i: 9/10)

Wright State: drimpossible (II:8/27, I:9/28)

Drexel: drimpossible (I:9/23)

RE: anonymity - I value my privacy as much as anyone and I do believe some is lost by participating in this thread. However, I have learned a ton from other nontraditional students posting on SDN, and I started this thread as a way to give back and to encourage those who will come after us. To me, it is the least I can do.

:luck: Good luck everyone.

(Love the Franklin avatar, btw. :))

franklin-comes-alive.jpg

dimpossible: I can see the past me in you, I was in your shoes years ago. Congrats. There are non-tra out there who may not have had as much progress as you have. I guess you can say it's your rights/freedom, those who are bothered simply do not need to come to this forum. True technically. But is technical nonfaultiness all that is strived for? You are trying to be helpful at this stage to your fellow non-tras right? I am not seeing why it's helpful to others to keep publishing your interviews. Once you are in med school/residency, the pre-med years just become so distant and hardly visited again mentally.

How would you feel if some stellar non-tras publish theirs. I am sure QofQuimica's list is like Duke/Hopkins/Harvard/UCSF/U of Washington...Also, she only lost a few points on MCAT too. But you don't see her doing that kind of thing, publishing.

Sharing some experiences that you felt improved your application will be very helpful.

dimpossible: I can see the past me in you, I was in your shoes years ago. Congrats. There are non-tra out there who may not have had as much progress as you have. I guess you can say it's your rights/freedom, those who are bothered simply do not need to come to this forum. True technically. But is technical nonfaultiness all that is strived for? You are trying to be helpful at this stage to your fellow non-tras right? I am not seeing why it's helpful to others to keep publishing your interviews. Once you are in med school/residency, the pre-med years just become so distant and hardly visited again mentally.

How would you feel if some stellar non-tras publish theirs. I am sure QofQuimica's list is like Duke/Hopkins/Harvard/UCSF/U of Washington...Also, she only lost a few points on MCAT too. But you don't see her doing that kind of thing, publishing.
Actually, I did post my interview invites the year I applied, as did many of the cohort I applied with. If anyone's interested, go in the PA forum and look in the 2005-2006 applicants thread. I may have also posted some in this forum; I don't remember now. But I definitely posted them.

I would argue that posting invites is helpful for several reasons. First, it allows the poster to "celebrate" with others in the same shoes. Nontrads are often relatively isolated compared with other applicants. It's fair to argue that virtual support isn't as ideal as real life support, but virtual support is better than none for those nontrads who are going it alone in real life.

Second, many people who have not yet applied are encouraged to see nontrad success stories. Again, this gets back to the feeling isolated thing. When it seems like you're trying to dig yourself out of a deep rut, and maybe you're taking classes with a bunch of 20-year-olds who seem to be making straight As effortlessly, it's motivating to see a "real" nontrad who has managed to do well and succeed. It helps other nontrads to realize that if this person can do it, maybe they can, too.

Third, these invite threads are helpful for other applicants because they provide a time line. Those who are applying this year will know that a particular school has started giving out invites, while those who are applying next year will have a feel for when this year's applicants started getting invites. When you're waiting to hear from a particular school, it's helpful to know whether other people are hearing from them or not.

Sharing some experiences that you felt improved your application will be very helpful.
I agree completely. There are links to a few threads like this in the FAQs sticky, in case any of you applicants would like to add your input once the acceptances start rolling in.

Actually, I did post my interview invites the year I applied, as did many of the cohort I applied with. If anyone's interested, go in the PA forum and look in the 2005-2006 applicants thread. I may have also posted some in this forum; I don't remember now. But I definitely posted them.

I would argue that posting invites is helpful for several reasons. First, it allows the poster to "celebrate" with others in the same shoes. Nontrads are often relatively isolated compared with other applicants. It's fair to argue that virtual support isn't as ideal as real life support, but virtual support is better than none for those nontrads who are going it alone in real life.

Second, many people who have not yet applied are encouraged to see nontrad success stories. Again, this gets back to the feeling isolated thing. When it seems like you're trying to dig yourself out of a deep rut, and maybe you're taking classes with a bunch of 20-year-olds who seem to be making straight As effortlessly, it's motivating to see a "real" nontrad who has managed to do well and succeed. It helps other nontrads to realize that if this person can do it, maybe they can, too.

Third, these invite threads are helpful for other applicants because they provide a time line. Those who are applying this year will know that a particular school has started giving out invites, while those who are applying next year will have a feel for when this year's applicants started getting invites. When you're waiting to hear from a particular school, it's helpful to know whether other people are hearing from them or not.

I agree completely. There are links to a few threads like this in the FAQs sticky, in case any of you applicants would like to add your input once the acceptances start rolling in.

Agreed they are helpful with timeline, but I say only if you have complete date (which most people aren't doing).

Complete 1 week ago is different from complete 2 months ago. Plus GPA/MCAT stats would be helpful.

BUT I AIN'T HATIN'! Everyone can do as they please. Good luck to allz!

Edit: But it is kind of funny...

Drexel: drimpossible (I:9/23)

Thanks for all of that boldy redness! I feel so honored.

I believe that I have early activity on my apps because I was complete early and I have a somewhat interesting story. It's been an encouraging response, but I'm hoping that there will be a lot of nontrad interview invites this cycle (it's still quite early). Adding the complete date is a valid point and a good idea.

My numbers are solid, but not going to turn any heads (gpa:3.X, MCAT: low 30s). In the interest of preserving some anonymity, I am omitting my exact numbers and story for now. Once the cycle is done, I hope to post these details along with my thoughts about the process itself.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Drexel: drimpossible (c: 8/3, I:9/23)
George Washington University: drimpossible (c: 6/29, I:9/16), lmarina1 (I:10/8)
Georgetown: drimpossible (c: 7/14, I:9/22)
UMDNJ - NJMS: drimpossible (c: 6/27, II:8/24)
University of Kentucky: drimpossible (c: 8/5, I:10/9)
Wright State: drimpossible (c: 7/27, II:8/27, I:9/28)

Albany: teddy bear doc (II:9/1)
Rosalind Franklin: teddy bear doc (II: 9/2)

University of Nebraska: teddy bear doc (II: 9/3):D

University of Maryland: againstalloddz (c: 8/16, II: 9/3, I: 9/27)
University of Nebraska: teddy bear doc (II: 9/3):D

awesome job drimpossible and teddy bear doc!!!!

best wishes and tons of :luck::luck: to you both

may you both join the dark side soon ;)

Finally leaving the swamps of Dagobah, but for where to exactly? First invite! :eek:

Hofstra: badb100d (c: 9/1 II: 9/7 I: 10/5) :cool:
University of Nebraska: teddy bear doc (II: 9/3)

Albany: teddy bear doc (II:9/1), Sustentacular (c: 8/9, II: 9/3 I: Sept.)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (I: Mid Oct), Sustentacular (c:7/29, II: 8/30, I: Nov.)

Last edited:
don't forget to add...

Drexel: drimpossible (c: 8/3, I:9/23), SamuraiR (II: 9/8, I: 10/8)
LECOM - B: SamuraiR(II: 7/15, I: 9/10)
LECOM - E: SamuraiR(II: 8/20, I: 12/03)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (II: 8/25, I: 10/21), Sustentacular (c:7/29, II: 8/30, I: Nov.)

East Carolina: Armywife06 (II: 8/30 I: 9/13)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (II: 8/25, I: 10/21), Sustentacular (c:7/29, II: 8/30, I: Nov.)

Albany: teddy bear doc (II:9/1, I: 9/15), Sustentacular (c: 8/9, II: 9/3 I: Sept.)
Rosalind Franklin: teddy bear doc (II: 9/2, I: 9/29)
University of Nebraska: teddy bear doc (II: 9/3, I: 10/8)
Virginia Commonwealth University: teddy bear doc (II: 9/8, I: 10/14)

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date) __________________

Albany: teddy bear doc (II:9/1, I: 9/15), Sustentacular (c: 8/9, II: 9/3 I: Sept.)
Drexel: drimpossible (c: 8/3, I:9/23), SamuraiR (II: 9/8, I: 10/8), Catswym (c: 8/6, II: 9/9, I: 9/30)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (II: 8/25, I: 10/21), Sustentacular (c:7/29, II: 8/30, I: Nov.), Catswym (c: 7/14, II: 8/6, I:9/14)

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date) __________________

got uvm awhile ago but just got drexel today. happy to have two interviews!

ATSU - KCOM: UnlikelyDoc (c: 7/15, ii: 9/9)
Drexel: drimpossible (c: 8/3, I:9/23), SamuraiR (II: 9/8, I: 10/8), Catswym (c: 8/6, II: 9/9, I: 9/30)
University of Vermont: SamuraiR (II: 8/25, I: 10/21), Sustentacular (c:7/29, II: 8/30, I: Nov.), Catswym (c: 7/14, II: 8/6, I:9/14)

Creighton: Armywife06 (II: 9/10 I: 10/??)
University of North Carolina: Armywife06 (II:9/10)

ETSU: Armywife06 (c:8/24 II: 9/14 I: 10/5)

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date

ATSU - KCOM: UnlikelyDoc (c: 7/15, ii: 9/9, i: 10/29)
KCUMB: UnlikelyDoc (ii: 9/14, i: 10/7)

Legend: (I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date

Tulane: catswym (II: 9/13, I:10/08)

I'm so glad threads like this exist! I'll be 28 when I'm posting to next year's application thread (and 43 by the time I'm a neurosx attending d/t the MSTP timeline).

Good luck everyone! :luck::xf:

I didn't write a "complete" date in the tulane one because I never got a "complete" email or any kind of confirmation.

I think if you don't get that email, the default is the day you turned in your secondary (or it arrived to the school).

Hofstra: badb100d (c: 9/1 II: 9/7 I: 10/5)
Johns Hopkins: drimpossible (c: 9/12, I: 10/14)

Woah nice! Congrats on Hopkins, drimpossible!! And congratulations and good luck to all the non-trads this year!

CCOM: Sustentacular (c:7/25 II:9/14)
NYMC: (c:8/4 II:9/13 I:Oct.)

Legend: I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date

AZCOM: Aglaia (c:08/09, ii: 09/02)
CCOM: Sustentacular (c:7/25 II:9/14)
NYMC: (c:8/4 II:9/13 I:Oct.)
OHSU: Aglaia (c: 08/19, ii: 08/13):D,
Touro-NY: (Interview stated in secondary invite) Aglaia (s:08/03, c: 09/13, ii: 09/16)

Legend: I: Interview date, II: Interview invite date, C: Application completion date