2012-13 applicant: 3.5 GPA, 3.3 Science GPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr illers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm planning on applying for the 2012-13 cycle and just wanted some feedback before I send my application in. First, the stats...I graduated UC Berkeley with an overall 3.5 GPA and a 3.3 in science with an MCAT of 31 (10V, 11P, 10B).

As far as EC's, I have done my shair of shadowing physicians and even worked in a hospital briefly transporting patients from outpatient to inpatient care sites. I have done more of my EC's outside clinical work. I coached 6th grade basketball for two years, taught science classes at middle schools for a semester, and have been working with a state senator on health care policy for the past year.

Since I'm from CA and I haven't had any research experience, I know it'll be a challenge to get into some schools. I was just looking for feedback in 3 ways: chances now, areas of improvement, and suggestions moving forward. In regards to the last point, I was thinking about a one year masters program, but I wasn't sure if I needed to, or if I could get into a MD program without it?

Thank you guys very very much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa is below average, your mcat is average and you have no IS school to fall back on. Apply very broadly to mid-low tier programs. You probably want to throw in some DO schools as well.

Your gpa is below average, your mcat is average and you have no IS school to fall back on. Apply very broadly to mid-low tier programs. You probably want to throw in some DO schools as well.

Thanks! Thoughts on whether I should apply to a one yr masters program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Thoughts on whether I should apply to a one yr masters program?

If its a SMP (Special masters program) then it will help your chances. If its a traditional masters it won't really help because medical schools think of graduate courses with inflated grading systems. You have a chance of getting into medical school despite the low sGPA. Please read my mdapplicants profile since I discuss ways of Increasing chances with a low GPA. Good luck!

Yeah, I was thinking about a SMP but wasn't quite sure if it was necessary. I'll definitely look into your profile and thanks for the input!