2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Do you remember if Baylor's secondary has a question about convicted of/charged with something? I recently discovered that I have a dismissed charge in my record (which I thought had not gone to my record at all), and I may have to contact the school to explain what happen IF there is such a question in the secondary. I submitted my secondary on 8/10 and I can't see what the questions were, I can just see a message saying that my application is being reviewed. Thank you!

This question is not on BCM's secondary, but isn't it on AMCAS? Shouldn't you be contacting all the schools anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

This question is not on BCM's secondary, but isn't it on AMCAS? Shouldn't you be contacting all the schools anyways?

Yes, the question is on AMCAS, but it only asks if I was ever "convicted of something", but I wasn't. The charges were dismissed in exchange of a probation time and fee. Also, the majority of the schools ask if I was ever "convicted of something" not if I was charged with something (only U of Wisconsin SOM has asked if I was ever "charged with something" so far, and I did need to report my dismissed charges to them). I talked to a lawyer, and I legally don't need to report anything for dismissed charges if they ask "convicted of something".

Thank you so much for your response. I just could not remember if Baylor had a "convicted with something" or "charged with something" question or something like that at all.

Hi guys,

I am still on my the applying process. AMCAS has finally verified my app. Will Baylor send me a confirmation email, or do I just go ahead and register for an account and finish the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I am still on my the applying process. AMCAS has finally verified my app. Will Baylor send me a confirmation email, or do I just go ahead and register for an account and finish the secondary?

They send you an email but I believe you can access it before they send you the email (not sure).

Here is the link: http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental

Does anybody know if Baylor is responsive to "in the area" emails? I have a couple of other interviews in Texas that are grouped together, and would love to not have to spend the money on tickets to Texas again.

Does anybody know if Baylor is responsive to "in the area" emails? I have a couple of other interviews in Texas that are grouped together, and would love to not have to spend the money on tickets to Texas again.

It can't hurt, but fwiw, I live a little south of Baylor, and Texas Tech is a 10+ hour drive. San Antonio, on the other hand is only 3.5 or 4 hours away.

It can't hurt, but fwiw, I live a little south of Baylor, and Texas Tech is a 10+ hour drive. San Antonio, on the other hand is only 3.5 or 4 hours away.

It is still better to chain short flights together instead of taking long separate flight.
My status just changed to "is being reviewed" :xf: Let's see if the theory is true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is still better to chain short flights together instead of taking long separate flight.
My status just changed to "is being reviewed" :xf: Let's see if the theory is true...

:luck:

Could be. I am actually debating driving it because there are no non-stop flights, and my fuel-efficient car will cost 1/3 the price of a flight. If I could get there in one shot, it would be a no-brainer though.

So Baylor apparently has no access to my letters of rec. All other schools do, just not Baylor. I contacted AMCAs, and they said it's all Baylor's fault. I called Baylor, and they said they'll put tech support on the issue. Anyway, this crap has held my Baylor app for 16 days, and I'm getting concerned that holding up my app this much might hurt me. At the same time, I don't want to call and be really pushy so they just outright reject me :scared:

So Baylor apparently has no access to my letters of rec. All other schools do, just not Baylor. I contacted AMCAs, and they said it's all Baylor's fault. I called Baylor, and they said they'll put tech support on the issue. Anyway, this crap has held my Baylor app for 16 days, and I'm getting concerned that holding up my app this much might hurt me. At the same time, I don't want to call and be really pushy so they just outright reject me :scared:

Did Baylor inform you that the letters weren't received still, or were you just checking in?

Did Baylor inform you that the letters weren't received still, or were you just checking in?

It said so on their supplement page, and then I called baylor/amcas. The supplement page hasn't changed and they haven't responded to my email. I guess my only real option is to keep waiting.

I submitted my secondary 7/19 and my new MCAT scores came out 8/28. Does anyone know how this should shuffle my order in the application review process? My score change from a 27P to a 35Q so it should definitely have helped me chances.

I submitted my secondary 7/19 and my new MCAT scores came out 8/28. Does anyone know how this should shuffle my order in the application review process? My score change from a 27P to a 35Q so it should definitely have helped me chances.

First off, good job on the MCAT improvement! Secondly, I don't know how they go about the review process, but I'm sure it will help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if baylor is receptive to "in the area" emails?

I'm in a very similar situation, improving from a 28 to a 34, second score reported 8/14, secondary submitted next day... In fact, haven't heard from any TX schools yet... Are you in the same boat, or is it just Baylor that you haven't heard from? Not sure what the time line is on scores submitted late-ish...

II today for 10/05! SOOO excited! I've been hoping for this one: my status changed back to "is being reviewed" last week.

II today for 10/05! SOOO excited! I've been hoping for this one: my status changed back to "is being reviewed" last week.

Mine changed last week too, and also ii for 10/5. See you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else interviewing here on Friday?

good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!!!

Hmm....so, my status has been at "has been reviewed" for a while now (submitted 7/3). I am VERY interested in Baylor and would almost certainly matriculate there if accepted. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to send a letter of interest at this point to perhaps "nudge" my app towards an II? :xf:

Hmm....so, my status has been at "has been reviewed" for a while now (submitted 7/3). I am VERY interested in Baylor and would almost certainly matriculate there if accepted. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to send a letter of interest at this point to perhaps "nudge" my app towards an II? :xf:

Some schools are ok with letters, some aren't. I'm not sure about Baylor, but I'd hold off at this point. I doubt that they would pull you off their potential invite list if you sent a letter, but at the same time it might just annoy them.

Some schools are ok with letters, some aren't. I'm not sure about Baylor, but I'd hold off at this point. I doubt that they would pull you off their potential invite list if you sent a letter, but at the same time it might just annoy them.

I sent one last week since I'm in the area for UT-H and heard nothing.

I'm in the same situation too. it says "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee. We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

Does anybody know what this means?

I'm in the same situation too. it says "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee. We will let you know something as soon as we are able."

Does anybody know what this means?

It means exactly that. Your app has been processed and is somewhere in the pile of reviewed applications. You may or may not get an interview invite. There's no way to tell based on your online status. Good luck!

Hrmph. Well, I suppose I'll hold off for a bit, but if I don't hear anything for 1-2 months I might send something then...Come on, Baylor. :xf:

Just checked my status today. It has changed to "Is being reviewed." :xf:

Schools have been pretty quiet in September... Baylor included. :(

MSTP invite! C: late july. c3.7, 35MCAT. surreal :xf:

Last edited:
II on the 19th of october. This school is probably my top choice, although I really loved Southwestern when I interviewed there.

37r, 3.97

II for Oct 19th! Although that's a conflict, so hopefully they'll reschedule for a better day :/

Interviewing here tomorrow! Not my first one, but kinda nervous for this one since it sounds like such an amazing place! Anyone have any last minute insights?

I am driving in from Pearland in the morning, as Im staying with a friend. Anyone have suggestions for parking?

So interview day was amazing. Staff was great, interviewers were great, and facilities were top notch. So many facilities in the Texas Medical Center to train in! Definitely moved toward the top of my list, here's to hoping it goes well!

So interview day was amazing. Staff was great, interviewers were great, and facilities were top notch. So many facilities in the Texas Medical Center to train in! Definitely moved toward the top of my list, here's to hoping it goes well!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Best of luck. :)

II today for Oct 5th! Surprised it's so soon.

34, ~3.75 cumulative & science gpa, IS

Last edited:
I looked at my status page, and it still says complete and being reviewed. Weird.

Did you request a latter date from what you were assigned? I was assigned 8/24 and then rescheduled to 9/21 and my status page reverted back to complete and being reviewed until about 3 weeks before 9/21 when I was then able to confirm.

Did you request a latter date from what you were assigned? I was assigned 8/24 and then rescheduled to 9/21 and my status page reverted back to complete and being reviewed until about 3 weeks before 9/21 when I was then able to confirm.

Nope. It never changed, which why I was so surprised to get my II...

i dont have a complete list handy (though I can try to get a hold of one). for the first students, however, for their second block, they may choose to enroll in the following:

Clinical Intersections - Biochem & Metabolic Disorders
Genetics Journal Club
Health Policy & Health Care
Poetry in Medicine
Readings in HIV-Aids
Medicine in the Third Reich
Art of the Human Body
Medical Chinese I
Sports Med & Phys
Hiding in Plain Sight - Identifying/Understanding Violence

again, this list is not exhaustive, but gives you an idea of the wide variety of electives. off the top of my head, i recall there are also additional electives such as:

pharmacology
radiology
medicine and management
the business of medicine
human space exploration and medicine (including a trip to NASA!)
human sexuality and medicine
possibly a cooking elective still (not sure if it's still around, but it might be). Called CHEF (Cooking Healthy, Eating Fresh).

hopefully that list is sufficient for you for now

i dont have a complete list handy (though I can try to get a hold of one). for the first students, however, for their second block, they may choose to enroll in the following:

Clinical Intersections - Biochem & Metabolic Disorders
Genetics Journal Club
Health Policy & Health Care
Poetry in Medicine
Readings in HIV-Aids
Medicine in the Third Reich
Art of the Human Body
Medical Chinese I
Sports Med & Phys
Hiding in Plain Sight - Identifying/Understanding Violence

again, this list is not exhaustive, but gives you an idea of the wide variety of electives. off the top of my head, i recall there are also additional electives such as:

pharmacology
radiology
medicine and management
the business of medicine
human space exploration and medicine (including a trip to NASA!)
human sexuality and medicine
possibly a cooking elective still (not sure if it's still around, but it might be). Called CHEF (Cooking Healthy, Eating Fresh).

hopefully that list is sufficient for you for now

Thanks for the list! Baylor's wide range of electives seems rly cool. I'm guessing there is a medical spanish elective?

Thanks for the list! Baylor's wide range of electives seems rly cool. I'm guessing there is a medical spanish elective?

Yes, there's Spanish. There's also been a group teaching Mandarin Chinese recently, although I'm not sure whether this was approved for elective credit.

Yes I believe there is. I interviewed at BCM last week and I remember seeing a medical Spanish elective offered. Everything about Baylor was wonderful!

Interview invite! :soexcited::banana:

Secondary submitted 7/18
Status changed from "has been reviewed" back to "is being reviewed" whenever I posted in this thread last.

It was! It's being offered this block.

(I'm referring to the Medical Chinese elective)

Interview invite! :soexcited::banana:

Secondary submitted 7/18
Status changed from "has been reviewed" back to "is being reviewed" whenever I posted in this thread last.

I have read the theory floating around that if this is the case, an II could be on its way. Not sure if this is true at all. Your story would seem to confirm the theory a bit.
And BTW, congrats!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.