2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see I'm not the only one having problems accessing Dartmouth's website. For those who have been having trouble accessing the secondary app, any change in luck? I'm using Safari on a Mac, but I've tried all the other computers in my house (pc+mac) on different browsers and I still can't get onto their website.

Same, and I've tried both my Toshiba and my Mac laptops...

Members don't see this ad.

I reread it and I think it's just for US permanent residents with citizenship from other country (that "AND" was confusing). Not the best sentence phrasing. Hope this helps.

Just submitted my secondary. I wrote the 2nd prompt on how I like to put myself in new and challenging (some weird) situations. They will either love it or think I am crazy. Go big or go home....or just waste $130?

Members don't see this ad :)
I reread it and I think it's just for US permanent residents with citizenship from other country (that "AND" was confusing). Not the best sentence phrasing. Hope this helps.

Oh thanks, yeah that makes more sense, wish I understood this before I sent an e-mail, oh well haha

Someone mentioned it earlier on the thread and I think that person's right... it has something to do with the internet network. My internet at home wouldn't let me onto the secondary or even Dartmouth's medical school website, but the internet at my apartment in another town is opening up the pages just fine. Find another network I guess?

Someone mentioned it earlier on the thread and I think that person's right... it has something to do with the internet network. My internet at home wouldn't let me onto the secondary or even Dartmouth's medical school website, but the internet at my apartment in another town is opening up the pages just fine. Find another network I guess?
All this trouble accessing the page might also have to do with the link in the email. When I click the link it won't open, but if I type the address they list into the browser it does just fine. Try that and see if it helps.

I was just able to pull it up on my phone over a 3G network, but for some reason, I can't pull it up on my home network. Really odd. I'll try to shoot them an email about the problem, but I don't expect a response until sometime tomorrow

If you're using wifi, try restarting it by unplugging the wifi router ethernet cable for a minute.

I was also having trouble accessing any Dartmouth website all weekend (using Chrome, Safari, or Firefox). I emailed admissions today and they suggested I try typing the url directly into the address bar. They also asked if I was using wifi and said others were reporting the same issue. This prompted me to fiddle with my wifi, and after unplugging/replugging the wifi router, I suddenly had access to the site.

Hope this helps!

All this trouble accessing the page might also have to do with the link in the email. When I click the link it won't open, but if I type the address they list into the browser it does just fine. Try that and see if it helps.
Same solution worked for me. I am using Chrome on a Mac through wifi. Could not click the link, but it worked when I typed in the address myself.

Hey guys I had a question for the secondary
"I have taken/will take the MCAT on the following dates(s) (use mm/yy format):"
Is this section for all MCATs written? Whether it's written in 2009, 2010 or 2011?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a character count/word limit for the essay? I don't want to submit and have some of mine cut off.
I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if there is a character/word limit that is enforced?

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if there is a character/word limit that is enforced?

was also wondering the same thing... any one know? and/or has submitted already, and can share how many words/characters their essay had, but didn't get cut off?

is there no "save" button on the secondary?!

was also wondering the same thing... any one know? and/or has submitted already, and can share how many words/characters their essay had, but didn't get cut off?

I took up 2800 characters for the first question and it came to about a page (I'd say 3/4 of the page) and was not cut off... if that helps you out!

Also no, there is no save button for their secondary, so you have to do it in one go (or do it on msword and save there)

Submitted today, good luck to everyone! And +1 for all the other NH Resident Applicants!

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker and first time poster!

For the first essay, are people actually LISTING all of their classes for next year exactly like the primary? I was just going to talk generally about some interesting classes I'm taking and about continuing my extracurriculars..

For the second essay, would it be OK to recycle a "challenging childhood and what I learned" essay I wrote for a different school? Otherwise, I'll just talk about a hobby like everyone else :D

I took up 2800 characters for the first question and it came to about a page (I'd say 3/4 of the page) and was not cut off... if that helps you out!

Also no, there is no save button for their secondary, so you have to do it in one go (or do it on msword and save there)

I wrote 3068 characters (including spaces) for the second question and it wasn't cut off.

Anyone here realize that Dartmouth's medical school is named after Dr. Seuss!??

There is no 'save' button on this secondary, make sure you are capable of completing the entire application in one sitting or you will lose the information.

It would also be smart to complete your essays on MS Word so you can copy/paste them.

For the second question, would it be appropriate to mention that I've lost over 50 lbs in the past year through a combination of dieting, walking/running, and weightlifting? No pills or surgery, and I'm still losing weight. I could tie it into how I could use my experiences to better help the overweight and obese, of which there are over 200 million in the US.

I'm still a tubby @ 5'11" 223 lbs, so I'm worried they'll be expecting a rail-thin guy instead of someone that went from morbidly obese to barely obese.

I've also very recently begun to study Spanish again, but considering I only started a week ago, it will probably sound like I'm grasping for straws if I mention it. Thoughts?

I know this is quite a delayed response, but actually, I think this would be a great way to answer the prompt, especially because you can interweave your personal story with the stories of the 200 million people in the US who struggle with the same issue. And I'm sure this would be a fairly unique story for the admissions committee to read. I'd say go for it!

Anyone here realize that Dartmouth's medical school is named after Dr. Seuss!??

Yes! I'm just hopping on this thread now, but I had to reply to this comment. I'm not a huge fan of naming a school after someone (especially since most universities are named after someone already), but at least Dartmouth picked a doctor right? Not like Perelman or David Geffen....

Anyway, is anyone aware of an articulation agreement or linkage program at Dartmouth? I heard that several spots in their already-small class size are reserved, but I cannot find any information on this. If anyone has info, please let us know!

A "doctor" :p

Sent via mobile

Anyway, is anyone aware of an articulation agreement or linkage program at Dartmouth? I heard that several spots in their already-small class size are reserved, but I cannot find any information on this. If anyone has info, please let us know!

I believe they have a commitment to provide a certain number of seats to NH residents, although this is not much of the overall class size.

Is it just me or the pdf version of the completed secondary shows the signature lines empty?

thanks man!
thats a relief.
for a moment i thought i made a mistake haha

I know that Dartmouth prefers high GPA and MCAT, but does an applicant with amazing extracurriculars coming from a unique background, with a 3.55 GPA and 32 even have a realistic shot here? PS: I have no ties with the university, city, or state, but I think that I would really enjoy the environment there, so it is a top choice for me.

did anyone NOT receive a secondary here? should I call the school?

I know that Dartmouth prefers high GPA and MCAT, but does an applicant with amazing extracurriculars coming from a unique background, with a 3.55 GPA and 32 even have a realistic shot here? PS: I have no ties with the university, city, or state, but I think that I would really enjoy the environment there, so it is a top choice for me.

Their 10th percentile cutoff for MCAT is 31.
Their 10th percentile cutoff for GPA is 3.59.

You'd have to be pretty lucky with your stats, but that's why you include reach schools. People do get in with stats below that, just rarely.

Question for a current student: how much work do you get to do with Spanish-speaking patients? I've worked to get my Spanish to a reasonable level of fluency, but know that I'll lose it if I'm not using it regularly. Thanks!

so did people get a secondary before AMCAS verified them?

Applied MD/PhD. Submitted secondary late last night, complete this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Question for a current student: how much work do you get to do with Spanish-speaking patients? I've worked to get my Spanish to a reasonable level of fluency, but know that I'll lose it if I'm not using it regularly. Thanks!

Honestly, not much. I'm on a 3rd year rotation in San Francisco right now and Cantonese and Russian would be far more useful here. I do hear that at a few clinical rotation sites (OB in Hartford, CT, for instance) Spanish would be helpful. You can also do summer programs in some Spanish-speaking countries and the odd 3rd or 4th year rotation. In years 1 and 2 you won't use much Spanish.

Another quick question for you physicsnerd42. How receptive is Dartmouth to second-time applicants? I was wait-listed last cycle (sadly and shockingly the wait-list did not move at all).

Quick question for a current student: how isolated do you feel in Hanover? How 'rural' does it feel? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but it's really my only reservation about Dartmouth.

I don't feel at all isolated. You become very good friends with your classmates pretty quickly and there's plenty to do around Hanover if you like the outdoors (and lots of other things to do because Dartmouth is here: it's a very metropolitan middle of nowhere). Some people go to Boston every weekend or two. Before coming to Hanover I had always lived in a city; now I prefer living in Hanover to 2 of the 3 cities I had lived in. If you absolutely need to live in a city with many dozens of bars and clubs then you won't like Hanover. If you don't absolutely need to be in a city you'll get used to it quickly and find that there's plenty to do, and that living in Hanover has its benefits.

Another quick question for you physicsnerd42. How receptive is Dartmouth to second-time applicants? I was wait-listed last cycle (sadly and shockingly the wait-list did not move at all).

Unfortunately I haven't served on the admissions committee so I can't answer that question from first-hand knowledge. I'd say that if you've improved your application in some way over the past year then it's worth applying again. Getting wait-listed means that you're academically qualified to be at Dartmouth but that you fit with what the school was looking for slightly less well than the people who were outright accepted. I know that this was an especially rough year for wait-list movement (as far as I know, there was none) so you may just have been unlucky this year.

At the same time, if you have an acceptance at any other US allopathic school right now I'd encourage you to go there.

This is regarding the first essay question (asking for your 2012-13 plans)...

Is anyone giving reasons to why they are doing what they plan to do? For example, I am planning to take a few classes at a locate CC (basically to kill some time till apps are over). Should I list reasons to why I chose those classes? Also, I started volunteering at (seemingly) random places - give reasons for those?

OR...

Just simply list them, along with brief details?

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks... :thumbup:

This is regarding the first essay question (asking for your 2012-13 plans)...

Is anyone giving reasons to why they are doing what they plan to do? For example, I am planning to take a few classes at a locate CC (basically to kill some time till apps are over). Should I list reasons to why I chose those classes? Also, I started volunteering at (seemingly) random places - give reasons for those?

OR...

Just simply list them, along with brief details?

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated. Thanks... :thumbup:

I asked my advisor this same question because I didn't know if I should include why I'm doing everything and try to make it more like a traditional essay (anecdotes, lessons, etc). She told me just to be straight forward and more fact based. If there is something that needs explaining I would, but otherwise just give a sentence or two for each activity you'll be doing.

At least that's what I'm going to do. Turning it in this week so I'll let you know how soon I get rejected :)

Anyone know if they are receptive to pre-interview updates? I told them in my plans for the year I had plans for activities. And know I officially have them (job transfer to another state and volunteer at hospital)? I'll probably wait until I have a week or two of experience with them to send a letter...

I asked my advisor this same question because I didn't know if I should include why I'm doing everything and try to make it more like a traditional essay (anecdotes, lessons, etc). She told me just to be straight forward and more fact based. If there is something that needs explaining I would, but otherwise just give a sentence or two for each activity you'll be doing.

At least that's what I'm going to do. Turning it in this week so I'll let you know how soon I get rejected :)

thanks for the reply markyb...

I think I'm going to go with what your adviser said too. If they wanted more, I think they would have asked for more.

I'll update you on my rejection too :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.