2012-2013 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperCJT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2013 intake is now open. Let's share our journey through this platform so we can advance together as a team. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant and will be taking Mcat end of aug this year. Anybody taking it too?

Members don't see this ad :)
New applicant here :) Still an undergraduate and am going on to final year. Good luck everyone!

Reapplicant here too. Taking it end july (hopefully).

What Mcat prep book are you using? I did well for verbal and biology previously but didn't have time to revise my long forgotten physics...

What Mcat prep book are you using? I did well for verbal and biology previously but didn't have time to revise my long forgotten physics...

i need to improve on my VR actually. my ps and bs are pretty strong. i didn't really study much the last time i took it, but i have examkrackers and trying to get other sources this time. :X

Ooh I see everyone's moved on to this forum, haha no wonder it was getting quiet in the other one : ) All the best to (re)applicants. Still undecided ... sigh

hey guys! any advice for PS for someone with very little background? Books to recommend etcetc.. thanks!

hey guys! any advice for PS for someone with very little background? Books to recommend etcetc.. thanks!

do you at least have o'level physics? hmm. and are you talking about pure physics or physical chemistry actually? Examkrackers worked fine for me but I did well for A'level Physics so I guess alot of it is just revision for me. It might be too little for you though (more like a summary so concepts wise it might not explain that clearly). I'm not sure how in depth you want to go though (i think you should balance your time in all 3 sections unless you're already very strong in vr and bs cause really, the other two sections can help you out alot more than trying to get one or two more points in PS imho).

Maybe you can give Examkrackers a shot? I had 14 for my PS with Examkrackers, and from what I see, if you're really strong in physical chemistry it'll help you alot too. So it's not just physics per se. But again I'm not sure if it's Examkrackers that helped me or because I'm more inclined to sciences to start out with. I like the tricks they teach though, like certain short-cuts to solving questions very quickly. If you have a good memory, you can just memorize those tricks and know when to apply it.

do you at least have o'level physics? hmm. and are you talking about pure physics or physical chemistry actually? Examkrackers worked fine for me but I did well for A'level Physics so I guess alot of it is just revision for me. It might be too little for you though (more like a summary so concepts wise it might not explain that clearly). I'm not sure how in depth you want to go though (i think you should balance your time in all 3 sections unless you're already very strong in vr and bs cause really, the other two sections can help you out alot more than trying to get one or two more points in PS imho).

Maybe you can give Examkrackers a shot? I had 14 for my PS with Examkrackers, and from what I see, if you're really strong in physical chemistry it'll help you alot too. So it's not just physics per se. But again I'm not sure if it's Examkrackers that helped me or because I'm more inclined to sciences to start out with. I like the tricks they teach though, like certain short-cuts to solving questions very quickly. If you have a good memory, you can just memorize those tricks and know when to apply it.

Thanks for the advice sweetsecrets. I do have O level combined science (Phy/Chem) which I'm sure is pretty insufficient haha.. yea I'm pretty ok with VR and BS and I did quite a bit of chemistry the past couple of years. so yea physics is the main problem.. I like how you mentioned about the tricks by Examkrackers. May I know which Examkracker book in particular because im not sure if i should just get the physics one and if i do there's the review and the question booklet.. thanks for the help!

I recommend using the EK 1001 books for extra practice. Particularly for physics.

try The MCAT Physics Book by Garrett Biehle and the Examkrackers 1001 questions. I didn't even do ANY form of physics at O levels and I think these 2 books rescued my PS score. :D

For the record I also read Kaplan's physics (a bit too much IMHO) and Examkracker's physics (probably useful for shortcuts, but may not be very helpful when you don't know the concepts well).

Also, start reading early, and practice, practice, practice! My MCAT was in April, and I started reading on physics in November-December (I was/am working full-time, with other personal commitments, so my "reading" was limited to travelling time and late at night). The studying only got more serious in February-March (memorisation of formulas/concepts and heavy practicing, still all done at night and weekends). Please DON'T do this because 1. I didn't have enough time to revise organic and physical chemistry properly and practically relied on what I remembered from the A levels (which isn't very sufficient, trust me) and 2. I didn't study for the biology component (again, no time, but I didn't suffer TOO much because I majored in it...) Eventually scored a 10 for PS. Probably could have done better, but I'm just really pleased it was a double digit :p

All the best! :):):) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the advice sweetsecrets. I do have O level combined science (Phy/Chem) which I'm sure is pretty insufficient haha.. yea I'm pretty ok with VR and BS and I did quite a bit of chemistry the past couple of years. so yea physics is the main problem.. I like how you mentioned about the tricks by Examkrackers. May I know which Examkracker book in particular because im not sure if i should just get the physics one and if i do there's the review and the question booklet.. thanks for the help!

it's the ExamKrackers MCAT General Physics Book. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow! thanks for all the help guys! gd luck to your preparations too!

Wow you guys are really fast in setting up a thread for 2012-2013! I wish you guys the best of luck! I hope to see you at the interviews or in the class of 2017! :luck:

Anyway, for those of you re-applicants wondering about what to do during the interim months in order to boost your chances of getting in, I would suggest doing some serious research work because from the profile of the incoming class, I can tell that this highly valued at Duke-NUS. Work in research rather than go studying a Master's because you earn an income, while doing a Master's would set you back financially even before you start medical school. Working also shows that you have real world work experience rather than just book-smart, something that is important for clinical practice. You should also do some community service and volunteering work part-time as you are working. Do not do a PhD.

Wow you guys are really fast in setting up a thread for 2012-2013! I wish you guys the best of luck! I hope to see you at the interviews or in the class of 2017! :luck:

Anyway, for those of you re-applicants wondering about what to do during the interim months in order to boost your chances of getting in, I would suggest doing some serious research work because from the profile of the incoming class, I can tell that this highly valued at Duke-NUS. Work in research rather than go studying a Master's because you earn an income, while doing a Master's would set you back financially even before you start medical school. Working also shows that you have real world work experience rather than just book-smart, something that is important for clinical practice. You should also do some community service and volunteering work part-time as you are working. Do not do a PhD.

Thank you! I'm actually really excited about the project I'm gonna be doing:) it's also good to take a break from school and experience something else, right?

Thank you! I'm actually really excited about the project I'm gonna be doing:) it's also good to take a break from school and experience something else, right?

I think you have good stats. Good luck with your application! :luck:

Last edited:
It will be my first time to apply for Duke-NUS this year. I'll be taking the MCAT this August 17.

It will be my first time to apply for Duke-NUS this year. I'll be taking the MCAT this August 17.

It'll be my first time too! I'm taking it on the 10th of August, I was hoping that I could find other people to possibly form a study group with so if anyone is interested please let me know:)

Also, what do you guys think about prep courses? It seems as though a lot of people swear by them, though I'm personally still torn on their efficacy...

It'll be my first time too! I'm taking it on the 10th of August, I was hoping that I could find other people to possibly form a study group with so if anyone is interested please let me know:)

Also, what do you guys think about prep courses? It seems as though a lot of people swear by them, though I'm personally still torn on their efficacy...
I badly need someone to study with as well! I can't find anyone in the Philippines to study with me. :p I'm studying on my own, though. Aside from the fact that I can't find an MCAT prep course here, I don't have the money to spare to attend a prep course. The MCAT is expensive enough. :|

Study on your own is just as effective

I badly need someone to study with as well! I can't find anyone in the Philippines to study with me. :p I'm studying on my own, though. Aside from the fact that I can't find an MCAT prep course here, I don't have the money to spare to attend a prep course. The MCAT is expensive enough. :|

There's some pretty good study plan here on SDN, and especially the SN2ed method. I took a prep course three months ago and it didn't amount to anything, now I'm reviewing everything from scratch. Yes MCAT is expensive especially when compared to GRE, but it's your chance for medical school. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I am in the incoming class of Duke-NUS this year and I would like to sell my MCAT books if any of you guys want them. I tried alot of different books and I rate the ones from the Berkeley Review as the best. I have them and a whole collection of other Study guides. Personal message me if you are interested.

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I'm a third year at Duke NUS. I've gone through the same agonizing process as you are going through now so I know you'll probably have unanswered questions along the way.

I'm not part of the adcom but can answer questions about DukeNUS or applications in general. Feel free to ask.

Hi everyone!

I'm a third year at Duke NUS. I've gone through the same agonizing process as you are going through now so I know you'll probably have unanswered questions along the way.

I'm not part of the adcom but can answer questions about DukeNUS or applications in general. Feel free to ask.

Thank you for taking the time! How long should my essays be, in terms of words and page? :D

Hmm that might be a good question to ask admissions. I'll just post my personal opinion, but I'm not sure how they would look at it.

Its been a while since I wrote those essays but I remember my personal statement was a little over a page and maybe a paragraph for the short questions.

If they don't have a word limit, I would just write as concisely as possible while conveying everything you want to. I would revise the essays several times to see what I could take out without losing information. You have to sell yourself, but you don't want to bury the selling points in a sea of text.

Yup I agree with f344. =) Need to sell yourself more. And also be concise, you don't want to bore them to sleep.

Just a little add on though, you might want to check out Duke-NUS to see what they have to offer, and if it is what you want, or if there are things that you can add on to the culture to make it better. It is like a job interview basically. Think in terms of what can you offer to the organization and in what way does the organization suits you.

Try to write in a mature manner. Remember to show some thought process for one of the essay question. They are looking for socially mature individuals.

Hmm that might be a good question to ask admissions. I'll just post my personal opinion, but I'm not sure how they would look at it.

Its been a while since I wrote those essays but I remember my personal statement was a little over a page and maybe a paragraph for the short questions.

If they don't have a word limit, I would just write as concisely as possible while conveying everything you want to. I would revise the essays several times to see what I could take out without losing information. You have to sell yourself, but you don't want to bury the selling points in a sea of text.

Thanks for the pointers. So in essence, anything other than personal statement is going to be short ( a paragraph or so)? If that's the case I need to cut mine short ASAP! All four of them are as long as my ps :oops:

Yup I agree with f344. =) Need to sell yourself more. And also be concise, you don't want to bore them to sleep.

Just a little add on though, you might want to check out Duke-NUS to see what they have to offer, and if it is what you want, or if there are things that you can add on to the culture to make it better. It is like a job interview basically. Think in terms of what can you offer to the organization and in what way does the organization suits you.

Try to write in a mature manner. Remember to show some thought process for one of the essay question. They are looking for socially mature individuals.

Thanks. It is definitely something that I would try to convey in one of my essays. :smuggrin:

Well I wouldn't use the length of the essay as a goal, since everyone's different. I think if you have something you'd like to tell them then you should include it, and if its something that requires a page to convey then so be it. These open questions are meant to help people with diverse backgrounds talk about things they can't specifically ask for. But do revise so that its easier to read. It reflects on how well you can communicate and what you think is important.

I took the MCAT a while back when it was 8 hours long, but I suspect that there's still some similarities between the new one and the one I took. I think what suc said is really important. You need to start early (just like your applications), set a schedule (especially if you're not taking a course) and practice ALOT. Simply practicing and timing yourself well can raise your score tremendously. That being said, there was a range of MCAT scores for our year, so its only one part of the application.

Last edited:
Hi Myopes and f344, how did you send your undergrad transcript to Duke-NUS?

Hi SuperCJT! I graduated from NTU, so all I had to do was to request transcript with it mailed to my house, send it via registered mail to Duke-NUS students admission. Upon their receipt, I'll email them just to be sure.

Hi everyone!

Hi f344,

I am in my final year undergrad... Am I eligible to apply in this round of admissions?
I am an Econs major with no natural sciences background. Doing all the basic sciences in year 1 of medical school at DukeNUS sounds terribly daunting. Can you share how that experience was like and how did the school ensure that meaningful learning has taken place? Thanks. :)

Hi guys,
For those who are preparing to take the MCAT, I have some MCAT materials (Examkrackers complete study package and Kaplan MCAT advanced) for sale. They helped me tremendously in my preparation and I'm looking for someone to inherit them and get good scores as well! PM me for more details :D

Hi SuperCJT! I graduated from NTU, so all I had to do was to request transcript with it mailed to my house, send it via registered mail to Duke-NUS students admission. Upon their receipt, I'll email them just to be sure.
Thanks Myopes. I'm a graduate from NUS and I already have the transcript with me, so I just need to send them a photocopy of my transcript right? Is the degree cert needed?

Actually, you'll need official transcripts to be sent. But for now is okay to give a photocopy of the cert and transcript. During applicant day, you'd have to bring in originals of both cert and transcripts for authentication. If anything is missing the admission staff will usually advise. =) All the best!

Hi everyone!

How much does Duke give international students in term of financial aid? Are these aid grants where you don't have to pay back or are they loan?

Financial aid is provided on a needs-based basis, international or not. It depends from person to person and these are grants not loans. You'll have to apply for them yearly, and the amount changes base on your financial situation. For tuition fee loans, you may borrow up to 90% of the tuition fee from a local bank, either DBS or OCBC.

Financial aid is provided on a needs-based basis, international or not. It depends from person to person and these are grants not loans. You'll have to apply for them yearly, and the amount changes base on your financial situation. For tuition fee loans, you may borrow up to 90% of the tuition fee from a local bank, either DBS or OCBC.

So what is the highest amount in grant a person can get? full tuition?

That would be rare. There are scholarships available that cover the costs entirely. For more information you would have to contact the student affairs dept of Duke-NUS. =)

Hi f344,

I am in my final year undergrad... Am I eligible to apply in this round of admissions?
I am an Econs major with no natural sciences background. Doing all the basic sciences in year 1 of medical school at DukeNUS sounds terribly daunting. Can you share how that experience was like and how did the school ensure that meaningful learning has taken place? Thanks. :)

Final year of undergrad is the time to apply for US-based medical schools.

First year may be tough for you. The system is based on self-learning and team-based learning, so you'll probably have to go over video lectures a few more times and read additional material (which is tough because there really isn't much time for you to do that). You might want to set something up with your team so you teach each other, but other than that it'll be hard work. The good news is, you probably won't need to cram basic science knowledge after the first year. Also, some of the information you'll learn in the first year don't require a basic science background. There are people in my year who didn't major in some sort of natural science.

How much does Duke give international students in term of financial aid? Are these aid grants where you don't have to pay back or are they loan?

This is very situational.

There are internationals that receive a good amount of bursary (money you don't need to pay back). Bursary is need based.

My advice is you should apply first regardless of financial status since there is no application fee. If the bursary doesn't cover your costs, you can take a loan that covers 90% of the tuition (interest free until graduation). Its quite a burden to be in so much debt, but its something you can decide on after you know what your options are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. Just to side-track a bit, for the local guys here does admission to Duke-NUS means that our NS reservist will be disrupted too? i.e. we would no longer be liable for ICTs until at least we graduate 4 years later?

Hi!
I am an applicant for 2012 intake but was not sure where I should post this because last year forum looked idle..
I am still waitlisted so i'm wondering when the school starts.. does anybody know??

Hi!
I am an applicant for 2012 intake but was not sure where I should post this because last year forum looked idle..
I am still waitlisted so i'm wondering when the school starts.. does anybody know??

School starts from July 25. Registration on 20 and 23 July.

Hello! Is it possible to get into duke-nus even if my mcat score does not reach at least 30? I am very anxious coz i do not have a good foundation on physics and a bit of chem only. I am really interested to study at duke-nus but that's it. I'm filled with insecurities and anxiety knowing that 2013 applicants are smart students.

Hello! Is it possible to get into duke-nus even if my mcat score does not reach at least 30? I am very anxious coz i do not have a good foundation on physics and a bit of chem only. I am really interested to study at duke-nus but that's it. I'm filled with insecurities and anxiety knowing that 2013 applicants are smart students.

Hi Happyface090, don't worry, the lowest mcat score i heard that got accepted was 28 for the class of 2012 (pardon me if i got it wrong). but if anything duke-nus doesn't focus entirely on grades/mcat per se, but rather your other experiences in life e.g. in research, voluntary work... etc. However a good mcat score is definitely advantageous. So just try your best, put in your utmost effort and get the best score you can. :)

Today is the first day of registration for the Class of 2016. Wish all of us will be registered as MD students on the same day next year.

Ooh I see everyone's moved on to this forum, haha no wonder it was getting quiet in the other one : ) All the best to (re)applicants. Still undecided ... sigh

I am an Indian student graduated in biotechnology and willing to apply for duke nus.
I have come to know from the website that all the students are expected to fulfill the servic commitment for 5 years and will be paid during service commitment. can any one give me about the pay packages while fulfillng service commitment,.. because by the time i complete MD i will be 28 and get married , so i am willing to know the salary details of an international student fulfilling service commitment

Hi Vedavyas! Starting pay for all fresh graduates is currently set at SGD$3.6k per month be it local or international. Do note that service commitment starts only during the second year after you graduate after you obtain your licence.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm really glad that forums like these are available for like-minded people like us to discuss and get pointers from seniors on medical school admission matters!

Anyways, I'm interested in getting into Duke-NUS for graduate studies but I've only got a Second Upper Class Honours as compared to many wonderful First Class Honours applicants applying for Duke-NUS as well..

That said, I wonder if there are anyone here in this forum holding a second upper class degree from our local universities (NUS, NTU) and managed to get into Duke-NUS successfully? :)

I wonder if a Second Upper Class is considered competitive or just a sign of academic mediocrity in the eyes of the interview panels.. I've always feel that I'm not good enough for med school because of my grades, thus demoralising my spirits in applying for it.. Hope somebody can enlighten me on this...

If its the latter, then I wondered if the panels ever asked anyone here questions pertaining to the average cGPA score? I've always wondered how one can manage to reason this out impressively and confidently without sounding... like you're wallowing in self-pity... 0.0

Any pointers, comments or advice will be greatly appreciated!! Cheers everyone!! :))