2012-2013 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there another app complete email after the "supplemental application complete"? My last LORs just showed up Wednesday, so I'm wondering if I should be getting another status email from Brody, or just worrying about why I haven't heard about an interview yet.

I received this e-mail before getting the interview invite e-mail:

Dear Applicant:

We have received the following items which now completes your application:

-AMCAS Application
-Supplemental Application
-Application Fee
-Required Recommendation Letters

Your application has been reviewed. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail. We schedule interviews from late August thru February. Generally we interview about half of the applicants we receive. Please understand that the reviewing/scheduling processes can take a great deal of time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynn Coward, Director
Brody Student Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
See I got this email:

Dear Applicant:

-AMCAS Application
-Application Fee

Your application is in the review process. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail. We schedule interviews from late August thru February. Generally we interview about half of the applicants we receive. Please understand that the reviewing/scheduling processes can take a great deal of time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynn Coward, Director
Brody Student Admissions

Thus, it looks like they tweaked it a little, as it used to say "has been reviewed." No II yet :( I submitted 7/17, received complete email 7/26.

I'm in-state but I'm a little borderline, because I moved down to go to undergrad in NC (established residency in 07 with drivers license and voter registration since 09) , went abroad two years and since have been working full time here since end of 2011 (~9mo now). Any idea if they will view me as OOS?

See I got this email:

Dear Applicant:

-AMCAS Application
-Application Fee

Your application is in the review process. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by e-mail. We schedule interviews from late August thru February. Generally we interview about half of the applicants we receive. Please understand that the reviewing/scheduling processes can take a great deal of time. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynn Coward, Director
Brody Student Admissions

Thus, it looks like they tweaked it a little, as it used to say "has been reviewed." No II yet :( I submitted 7/17, received complete email 7/26.

I'm in-state but I'm a little borderline, because I moved down to go to undergrad in NC (established residency in 07 with drivers license and voter registration since 09) , went abroad two years and since have been working full time here since end of 2011 (~9mo now). Any idea if they will view me as OOS?

They don't consider OOS applicants for acceptance, so if you're 'under review' that by definition means they believe you're IS

well yes and no... see if you SAY NC on your MCAT you are considered IS. But once they look over my residency form they could decide otherwise... or maybe if they don;t necessarily consider me OOS, they could still not like the idea that I'm not from NC/grow up here. ya know?

submitted 7/19
interview invite 7/26
fast :)

Does anyone know what exactly the two interviewers have access to before the interview since it is semi-blind? Is it just mcat and gpa? Or also the personal statement?

Unless they are changing the process this year (which I doubt), this is what the semi-blind interview means:

When you arrive at Brody, you will be given two envelopes, one for each reviewer. You will walk into your interview, and hand the interviewer your envelope. They will open it up, and it will have your name, your GPA, and your MCAT score (maybe your undergrad school - can't remember). That's all the information they will have. They will not have a folder during interviews.

After interviews, there will be four people advocating on your behalf: the two people that interviewed you, and two other people that will have access to your full application.

I had a dream last night that I looked at my status for Brody and it said rejected in mean red letters with a mean red angry face on the side :/ this process is miserable! hahaha

I had a dream last night that I looked at my status for Brody and it said rejected in mean red letters with a mean red angry face on the side :/ this process is miserable! hahaha

still nothing yet, starting to get nervous :cool:

Called Brody this morning since I never received a complete email- turns out they had miss-characterized two of my letters and were waiting on other letters- so I haven't even gone under review yet :(

And, a few hours after calling- my first interview invite! will be there 9/5!

Members don't see this ad :)
very non-trad, almost 10 yrs out of UG, so my stats aren't that useful for comparison, but 3.3ug, 3.8ggpa, 37 fwiw

Congrats!

I feel like I'm the only one when without an II :(

Congrats!

I feel like I'm the only one when without an II :(

Thanks- call them and ask if there's anything else they need- express some interest - I think it's just Lynn Coward in that office and I bet a nice chat with her could produce an II

How does ECU treat re-applicants like myself? Do we get an automatic secondary application and an interview just like first time applicants?

How does ECU treat re-applicants like myself? Do we get an automatic secondary application and an interview just like first time applicants?

I wasn't aware that all first time applicants get an automatic secondary and interview. If you look at their website from last cycle it says something like we've recieved 876 amcas apps, 774 supplementary apps, 420 interview invites, and made 131 offers. With those numbers it it unlikely that a secondary also secures an interview.

I wasn't aware that all first time applicants get an automatic secondary and interview. If you look at their website from last cycle it says something like we've recieved 876 amcas apps, 774 supplementary apps, 420 interview invites, and made 131 offers. With those numbers it it unlikely that a secondary also secures an interview.

this is correct. At brody secondary does not gaurantee interview. And neither does being an IS first time applicant.

He might have been thinking of UNC where a secondary for first time IS apps does gaurantee an interview.

I am a reapplicant to ECU who got a secondary app and an invite after my previous application last application cycle. I was wondering what my chances are at getting a 2nd secondary app and a 2nd interview invite for this application cycle.

I am also reapplying to UNC. what do you think my chances are at getting a secondary app and interview and invite.

I am a reapplicant to ECU who got a secondary app and an invite after my previous application last application cycle. I was wondering what my chances are at getting a 2nd secondary app and a 2nd interview invite for this application cycle.

I am also reapplying to UNC. what do you think my chances are at getting a secondary app and interview and invite.

Your chances are pretty good: from my understanding, re-applicants are often invited back for another interview. In fact, a fairly large number of students at both Brody and UNC were themselves re-applicants. Check out this page and note that 43% of this year's entering class is comprised of re-applicants:

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomadmissions/profiles.cfm

Interview invite yesterday! First one of the year

Congrats! I interviewed at Brody this week. It was very laid back, not a "stress" interview! Brody is a really cool place, despite it's location. Best of luck to you, and let me know if you have any questions about the interview day!

So glad to hear their interview is low key, as it will be my first as well and I'm nervous as heck about it! What was it like having them not have read your file? Did you basically have to sum up your whole life/reason for medicine etc? I wish they would read my PS before the interview. . . I worked hard on that thing!

So glad to hear their interview is low key, as it will be my first as well and I'm nervous as heck about it! What was it like having them not have read your file? Did you basically have to sum up your whole life/reason for medicine etc? I wish they would read my PS before the interview. . . I worked hard on that thing!

I personally liked that they hadn't read my file, as they had no preconceived notions about who I am. The interviews started with general "tell me about yourself" style question, but from there, it was mostly just a conversation. This is also more conducive to having a "just getting to know you" style discussion through which you can naturally bring up the things on your application you want to highlight. My advice: don't go into the interview feeling like you should go out of your way to bring up every little detail from your AMCAS...just be prepared to hit the highlights (ie. most significant clinical, research, and service experiences).

Also, if you worked really hard on your personal statement, bear in mind that at ECU there are FOUR admissions committee members who evaluate you. Two of them are your interviewers, who can subjectively evaluate you, while the other two committee members only see your paper application and can objectively evaluate you.

Obiwan, what was the time line on your application?

secondary received: 8/8
secondary submitted: 8/13
last required letter of recommendation was in to amcas on 8/21
interview invite: 8/23

Are the secondary application questions the same for both first time applicants and re-applicants? Can anyone tell me the secondary application questions?

Are the secondary application questions the same for both first time applicants and re-applicants? Can anyone tell me the secondary application questions?

They are the same for re-applicants. I think someone posted the prompt a while back.

I had my interview here today. The school really made a great impression on me. Students all seemed happy and it seems like a place where anyone would bend over backwards to help you. And my interview went well too. One of my interviewers "hopes that I would attend Brody". That has to be a good sign right?

I would be happy to answer any questions about the interview.

I had my interview here today. The school really made a great impression on me. Students all seemed happy and it seems like a place where anyone would bend over backwards to help you. And my interview went well too. One of my interviewers "hopes that I would attend Brody". That has to be a good sign right?

Do you mind / and others who have interviewed sharing your stats so I can gauge where i stand? Also, could you comment on the structure of the interview?

I submitted my primary fairly late so am stil waiting to get AMCAS verified but figured I would go ahead and start my secondary so I can submit it ASAP!

Thanks in advance.

Hey- I have my interview at Brody a week from today. Just curious as to how much emphasis they place on having NC roots. I know that part of their mission is to train physicians who will serve eastern NC, but did the interviewers seem to be looking for a commitment to stay and practice in NC? I'm afraid my far-flung background will put me out of serious contention for a spot at Brody.

3.9/35R

First you're taken on a short tour of the school with med students, and then to lunch. You get two closed-file interviews. The questions were really quite easy - mostly just a rehash of your AMCAS application. I didn't get any ethics or healthcare questions. Your interviewers meet with two adcoms and the four of them decide whether to accept you.

4.0/33R.

Great and relaxed interview. Taken on a tour. The students are great. The interviewers are very friendly and relaxed both of mine we extremely conversational. No tough questions.

Overall it's a great experience. You will go great.

Hey- I have my interview at Brody a week from today. Just curious as to how much emphasis they place on having NC roots. I know that part of their mission is to train physicians who will serve eastern NC, but did the interviewers seem to be looking for a commitment to stay and practice in NC? I'm afraid my far-flung background will put me out of serious contention for a spot at Brody.

And yes they do. That's their mission and reason for educating students.

3.75/33R

As for "looking for NC roots," so long as you are a NC resident (they only interview in-state applicants) and can make a good case for your desire to practice in NC, you'll be fine, particularly if you are interested in primary care.

Interviewed at Brody this week. My first interview was great- nice, fun conversation. My second interviewer basically asked me to list all of my amcas activities, wrote down everything I said, was very short with me, and did not seem at all impressed by any of my responses to his questions. Don't know if it was a good cop/bad cop deal or what but it seemed a waste of time given that two other people will have read my amcas file thoroughly.

Just got an interview invite - I'm pumped! I was actually very surprised at how quickly they extended the invite. I submitted my application on 9/5 and was complete on 9/7, and I checked my email this afternoon and there it was! I'm scheduled for 9/25, will anyone else be there that day?

I've seen some great interviewees here already. We are mindful of what you say both on the forums here, through email, and in person in regards to tweaking our interview tours (given by current med students like me) to give all of you the best possible experience while at Brody. I don't at all mean this in a negative connotation, we have no say when it comes to admissions, we just want you to get the best taste of Brody student life before you make your decision! I hope those that have interviewed have had a fantastic time and I hope that you stay in touch throughout the process.

The current M3's just posted some monster step 1 scores coming out of 2nd year, including several students over 260. The class's average as a whole was around 230, and roughly 10 pts higher than the national average for all US allopathic MD programs.

We look forward to seeing more of you soon. Best of luck to all those applying to Brody, please let me know if you have any questions.

hey my stats aren't as competitive and I've been complete since mid-July, is there still hope for me at Brody to interview or am I pretty much a done deal at this point?

hey my stats aren't as competitive and I've been complete since mid-July, is there still hope for me at Brody to interview or am I pretty much a done deal at this point?

Will so many qualified applicants every year, nothing is guaranteed, but with it not even being October yet, I definitely wouldn't give up hope. Interviews are granted into the Spring and just because you applied early doesn't necessarily mean you get an early invite (especially if you consider your stats to be borderline).

Since ECU only takes in-state applicants, they have the time to review every application very carefully (and several times). We are known to be a program that considers the 'whole' applicant. Criteria such as whether or not they feel that the person is mentally prepared for the challenges ahead and shares the vision of the school is much more important than stats alone.

Best of luck

I've seen some great interviewees here already. We take to heart your comments here, through email, and in person in regards to tweaking our interview tours (given by current med students like me) to give all of you the best possible experience while at Brody. We have no say when it comes to admissions, we just want you to get the best taste of Brody student life before you make your decision! I hope those that have interviewed have had a fantastic time and I hope that you stay in touch throughout the process.

The current M3's just posted some monster step 1 scores coming out of 2nd year, including several students over 260. The class's average as a whole was around 230, and roughly 10 pts higher than the national average for all US allopathic MD programs.

We look forward to seeing more of you soon. Best of luck to all those applying to Brody, please let me know if you have any questions.

Those are some baller scores! What's more, they are similar to the Step 1 scores at UNC and Wake Forest, which is very encouraging to prospective Brody students! I think in some peoples' minds, ECU Undergrad and Greenville unfairly tarnish Brody's image.

I enjoyed my tour of Brody very much! It was my first interview and the medical students were very nice and helped me to relax. Thanks!

Hi everyone. Current student here. If you have any questions, please let me know! I love everything about Brody and can help you out if you need it!

Hi everyone. Current student here. If you have any questions, please let me know! I love everything about Brody and can help you out if you need it!

Are there opportunities for you guys to take classes outside the med school? Some schools have "track" programs that allow you to minor in things like community health, the history of medicine, or communication. Also, are you happy being in Greenville?

Just want to throw a few things at your guys to put some rumors to bed:

- Serving NC is certainly a big part of Brody's mission and an important one. Eastern NC (east of I-95) has the highest density of major medical problems (heart disease, diabetes, obesity etc.) than most anywhere else in the country. However, there is absolutely no binding agreement that you have to sign that says your will stay here for residency, afterwards, etc. It seemed like some people were under the impression that you were forced to stay here.. which is absolutely not true.. however, our students have a genuine interest in serving NC and many do stay here.

- 50% of last years graduating class is going into primary care. 50% is a big # on the nationwide scale, and within this 50% we are typically #1 in family physician production. HOWEVER, 50% is not 100%. Half of last years class choose to specialize in things other than primary care and our professors and mentors here are completely open to that. Once you are here, they want you to follow the specialty that fits you the best. I am using this statistic to combat the statement that all we do here is primary care. Our interests groups for surgery, oncology, cardiology etc. are all extremely active and engaged as well.

Having said this, you absolutely must must must emphasize why you feel that you fit the school's mission in your application and interview. Brody places less emphasis on actual stats than about anywhere else I know. Every year we turn away a huge number of people with stellar statistics that show no apparent interest in the mission of the school. I think it's fantastic because I absolutely love the class that was chosen with me. It couldn't be farther from a cutthroat environment here, everyone is just excited to be pursuing this path and I think those that have already interviewed here can confirm this.

Best of luck!

Hey there. I am an M1 at Brody, and to my knowledge we do not have a track program as you describe. We are in our second test set now and frankly I can't imagine taking on any other classes at the same time. The amount of material for which we are accountable is already borderline insane. Histo, cell bio, biochem, radiology, embryology, gross anatomy (we're in head and neck which is a beast) and medical ethics is coming up and all of those exams are within a three day period. Taking on another class may sound like a good idea to you now, but be careful what you wish for :)

As for being in Greenville, the short answer is yes. I was worried about homogeneity of the class as well as small-minded mentality being in such a small community, but I found out all of that was silly. I realized that in higher education (Brody Med) included, you will always have an incredible amount of diversity and people from all walks of life. Yes, the area is isolated from larger cities in NC but the truth is that you won't have time to notice this. Greenville has a pretty quaint up-town scene where both grad and undergrad students like to let loose sometimes and if you ever need a more "urban" fix then Raleigh is only 1.5 hours away.

Last edited:
Just something to add about living in Greenville (I'm an M2)...because Greenville is somewhat isolated from larger NC cities, Vidant Hospital gets everything from the region which is excellent for learning purposes. Also, there is water about 30 minutes away in Washington, and the beach isn't much further. I personally really like that Greenville isn't plagued with bad traffic that you would find in larger cities. Every minute counts in med school. Cost of living is also really reasonable here, so you'll be able to afford nicer houses/apts than in some other places.

Does ECU screen primaries for in-state first-time applicants? How about primaries for in-state re-applicants?

Status
Not open for further replies.