2012-2013 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does ECU screen primaries for in-state first-time applicants? How about primaries for in-state re-applicants?

ECU does not allow OOSers to apply at all. If you don't select NC as your home state, ECU doesn't even show up in your AMCAS. They do screen both first time and reapps before giving secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please post the questions they were asked during their brody interview?

ECU does not allow OOSers to apply at all. If you don't select NC as your home state, ECU doesn't even show up in your AMCAS. They do screen both first time and reapps before giving secondaries.

I don't think this is true? I think everyone gets a secondary, someone can correct me though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post the questions they were asked during their brody interview?

The interviews at ECU were mostly blind; the interviewers really only had access to your name and GPA. So, be prepared to basically go over the things on your AMCAS. Also, of course, the 'Why ECU?' question is obligatory.

NC residents automatically get a secondary. I'm sure OOS also get secondaries, but they have less of a chance than IS.

OOS applicants do not receive secondaries. As someone has previously said, if you did not list North Carolina as your state of residence on the AMCAS then you will not have the option to send your primary application to Brody.

NC residents automatically get a secondary. I'm sure OOS also get secondaries, but they have less of a chance than IS.

I'm pretty sure that ECU does not show up in AMCAS for non NC residents. UNC is a different story, but if you look at the early pages of this thread, there was someone OOS who couldn't find Brody on their amcas, bc they don't even accept OOS applicants.

I'm pretty sure that ECU does not show up in AMCAS for non NC residents. UNC is a different story, but if you look at the early pages of this thread, there was someone OOS who couldn't find Brody on their amcas, bc they don't even accept OOS applicants.

sorry about that...i confused brody with unc. But, you're right. It actually says on Brody's website that OOS haven't been considered or admitted in over 20yrs.

sorry about that...i confused brody with unc. But, you're right. It actually says on Brody's website that OOS haven't been considered or admitted in over 20yrs.

Yea, you got it right now.

UNC- Accepts OOS apps but is heavily biased towards in-state

Brody- Only accepts IS Apps

However, many people in my class here at Brody lived elsewhere for awhile but have been in NC for the last few years and thus have built residency. You don't have to be a lifelong NC'er to get in.

I interviewed recently at ECU and was really impressed! Like others have said, Greenville was meh... but I also had some pretty miserable weather. Their simulation lab was a little bit lacking and no one seemed interested in research much (although since most ppl do primary care I guess thats to be expected?) But other than those minimal things I really liked the feel of the school and the students seemed happy at the school. I could definitely see myself (and others!) excelling here!

Has anyone heard anything back yet? I know they send letters but has the committee met, they haven't updated the website either :(

Most schools will send out the mail on the 15th so I'd give it a couple of days. Also remember ecu constantly rolls and they emphasized that being accepted early is more of the exception rather than the rule so I wouldent worry.

Some who have already interviewed say they discussed what's on their amcas app and others say it was just a conversation. I thought the interview was blind. So, how and why would they ask about amcas app?
I guess I'm just a little nervous. My interview is next week and I just want to be as prepared as possible. I'd rather not have to rehash info on my app. I want the interview to be an opportunity for me to present the person behind those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some who have already interviewed say they discussed what's on their amcas app and others say it was just a conversation. I thought the interview was blind. So, how and why would they ask about amcas app?
I guess I'm just a little nervous. My interview is next week and I just want to be as prepared as possible. I'd rather not have to rehash info on my app. I want the interview to be an opportunity for me to present the person behind those stats.

You get two interviewers. My experience was one interviewer was not really concerned with the app questions and mostly asked about my background and family etc. The other just listed questions like "what are your clinical experiences", "Tell me about your leadership" I guess since they don't look at your file some are more interested in that but I think everybody gets one of each type during their interview so you should be fine. Good Luck, it's really a great experience!

Most schools will send out the mail on the 15th so I'd give it a couple of days. Also remember ecu constantly rolls and they emphasized that being accepted early is more of the exception rather than the rule so I wouldent worry.

Thanks I guess with everybody else hearing back I'm getting worried :(

Their website says they now have sent out 20 acceptance, with 3 of those being early acceptance. What I'm wondering is whether they put it in the mail on Monday, or if people would have heard on Monday. Anyone get an accept in the mail yet?

beyond what one could gather from the website, does anyone know how long it takes to decide whether a reapplicant will be invited for an interview?

beyond what one could gather from the website, does anyone know how long it takes to decide whether a reapplicant will be invited for an interview?

I'm a re-applicant. My application was complete on July 5th and I received an ii on July 25th. It has gotten into the busier part of the application cycle, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit longer to go through everyone's files. Hang in there!

Accepted this morning via snail mail. Interviewed back in August.

Big congrats to all those that have already been accepted and best of luck to all those still in the process. Many of you will have options and we hope that you keep ECU in mind moving forward. We will be hosting a 2nd look weekend, most likely in March for those that have been accepted at that point (you will receive formal invitations at a later date). Unfortunately the building where admissions/classroom is is one of the older ones on the medical campus, and we hate that we don't get to show you some of the state-of-the-art facilities that we have adjacent to us during your interview day. These include ECHI heart hospital, ECHI institute (famous for pioneering robotic surgery with the da vinci robot), Laupus health sciences library, the brand new children's hospital, family medicine institute and much more. If you choose to come to 2nd look weekend in the spring, you will have a chance to see all of these as well as interact with faculty and students and see more of what it is like to be a student here (you will also see many parts of Greenville to change your perspective on the city, as I know many of you are unfamiliar of the area).

Feel free to post questions here, or PM me. There are several of our current students that check these boards from time to time to answer questions for prospective students.

Best,
MedBound1

Has anyone who interviewed on or after 9/25 heard back yet?

I interviewed 9/4 and haven't heard anything.

Has anyone who interviewed on or after 9/4 received an acceptance yet?

Last edited:
As of November 1, 2012, we have .....

Received 746 AMCAS applications
Received 458 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 258 applicants
Made 31 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

11 more acceptances released today

As of November 1, 2012, we have .....

Received 746 AMCAS applications
Received 458 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 258 applicants
Made 31 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

11 more acceptances released today

Oh my! Where are those acceptances? There haven't been any claiming them here on SDN.. maybe they're still in the mail?

Oh my! Where are those acceptances? There haven't been any claiming them here on SDN.. maybe they're still in the mail?

Maybe they just mailed them today. I'm sure we'll know in a few days.

Because of ECU, I now regularly check my mail 2-3 times a day...

So they sent out 11 acceptances and none of them went to SDN members? That's strange..

When can we call and check on our status? Also do they accept LOI and when would be an acceptable time to send those?

When can we call and check on our status? Also do they accept LOI and when would be an acceptable time to send those?

Lynn told us that they generally won't get to your application until at least four weeks after your interview, so I'd wait until at least then to call about a status. As for LOI, you'll get a wide range of opinions about this, but my opinion is that you'll want to wait until late spring, or after May 15, and send them in to get off the waitlist.

As for status.. I know how it feels but they won't be able to tell you much of anything about your status. You may be told that your app either 'hasn't been reviewed' or 'has been reviewed once' but only a small percentage of accepted apps are accepted on the committees first look at it.. so that really only makes you worry for no reason. And as far as the wait list goes, they do not release any information about your 'position' on the wait list.. only that the wait list is roughly the size or slightly smaller than the class.. ~70-75 people typically.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Lynn told us that they generally won't get to your application until at least four weeks after your interview, so I'd wait until at least then to call about a status. As for LOI, you'll get a wide range of opinions about this, but my opinion is that you'll want to wait until late spring, or after May 15, and send them in to get off the waitlist.

So if it's been 9 weeks since interview. . . ? I'd call about my status but those ladies were so mad about our showing up 10 min early for the interview, I'm scared to call them about anything!

They absolutely accept letters of interest/intent. I sent a letter of interest in around Februaryish. When I was waitlisted in March, I decided that of the remaining schools I had been accepted to/waiting on, Brody was my for-sure #1 and I sent in a letter of intent in early April. I got accepted off the waitlist less than a week after they received my letter of intent.

As for status.. I know how it feels but they won't be able to tell you much of anything about your status. You may be told that your app either 'hasn't been reviewed' or 'has been reviewed once' but only a small percentage of accepted apps are accepted on the committees first look at it.. so that really only makes you worry for no reason. And as far as the wait list goes, they do not release any information about your 'position' on the wait list.. only that the wait list is roughly the size or slightly smaller than the class.. ~70-75 people typically.

Hope this helps,

Thank you! It does!

Aw dang...received a letter in the mail yesterday (Friday) from ECU. Rejected outright. :( Interviewed on 8/23. Shucks, I thought Brody and I were a good fit...maybe I didn't interview as well as I'd hoped. Good luck to the rest of you; Brody's a great place with a true commitment to the underserved of North Carolina.

Aw dang...received a letter in the mail yesterday (Friday) from ECU. Rejected outright. :( Interviewed on 8/23. Shucks, I thought Brody and I were a good fit...maybe I didn't interview as well as I'd hoped. Good luck to the rest of you; Brody's a great place with a true commitment to the underserved of North Carolina.

O wow, thats suprising, i didnt know the rejected people this early. Sorry bud, at least youve got two great acceptances in hand!

That really scares me; I'm really hoping for an acceptance to Brody but you have stats that are way better than me! Do you have any idea why you might have been rejected? Was it a bad interview, bad 'fit' with the school, something else?!

O wow, thats suprising, i didnt know the rejected people this early. Sorry bud, at least youve got two great acceptances in hand!

That really scares me; I'm really hoping for an acceptance to Brody but you have stats that are way better than me! Do you have any idea why you might have been rejected? Was it a bad interview, bad 'fit' with the school, something else?!

Thanks for the support guys! :) Like GrabSlamBoot said, I feel incredibly fortunate to have two acceptances. So while it stings to (again) be rejected by a state school, it's great to know I have good options.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what happened. I walked out of the interview and joyously texted my friends/family because I thought it went really well. I really liked the school, I've lived my whole life in North Carolina, and I'm truly committed to working with underserved populations, having grown up near several federally designated "Health Professional Shortage Areas." Maybe I didn't sell myself well enough, or maybe Brody is looking for more people from the eastern part of the state (I grew up in the central Piedmont)? This is all pure speculation though.

I believe Brody offers feedback to people who are rejected, so I'll call some time this week and let you guys know how you can perhaps succeed where I've failed haha. Good luck to all of you! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.