2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how many OOS students are accepted to this university? The MSAR states they have an in-state preference, but does not list any details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how many OOS students are accepted to this university? The MSAR states they have an in-state preference, but does not list any details.

It does have a very strong instate preference, most OOS students that are accepted are graduates of their SMP program.

Latest stats:

~4,000 applied
~330 interviewed
~70 matriculated (out of a 140-person class)

Seems like pretty good odds for OoS. Applying here this year.

Latest stats:

~4,000 applied
~330 interviewed

Thanks for the stats! Looks like I will be applying here as well. Good luck!

Latest stats:

~4,000 applied
~330 interviewed

Not bad. Applying here, then. :)

I shouldn't have done that...looks like I'm just increasing my competition this cycle.

;)

Latest stats:

~4,000 applied
~330 interviewed

You may want to keep in mind that at least 20 out of the70 oos peeps were evms med masters grads and are not traditional oos applicants . That kind of screws up the results.

I shouldn't have done that...looks like I'm just increasing my competition this cycle.

;)
Prepare to lose!

Haha, only kidding. I hope you have a good application cycle.
You may want to keep in mind that at least 20 out of the70 oos peeps were evms med masters grads and are not traditional oos applicants . That kind of screws up the results.
Damn...

I just received an email from coordinator of minority affairs inviting me to call to discuss my "student profile." Given that EVMS is one of the schools that I'm applying to, I'm curious as to what a "student profile" is.

I received the email today, so I might call tomorrow, after I have time to do my research on EVU, but I'm wondering if anyone from a previous application cycle called.

It does have a very strong instate preference, most OOS students that are accepted are graduates of their SMP program.

Not true. Last year to fill 140 person class I was told they had to offer seats to ~160 OOS and ~140 instate and thats of 330 OOS interviewed. I have multiple friends with stats that are probably considered medicore to most people on SDN (GPA : 3.6-3.9, MCAT: 28-30) that were accepted from OOS with no ties to EVMS.

EVMS has a great program, the reason only 70 of the 160 take seats probably has much to do with the price tag on OOS tuition.

Not true. Last year to fill 140 person class I was told they had to offer seats to ~160 OOS and ~140 instate and thats of 330 OOS interviewed. I have multiple friends with stats that are probably considered medicore to most people on SDN (GPA : 3.6-3.9, MCAT: 28-30) that were accepted from OOS with no ties to EVMS.

EVMS has a great program, the reason only 70 of the 160 take seats probably has much to do with the price tag on OOS tuition.

It sure is expensive. It got increased to 56k for OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
was accepted to EVMS and starting this August...if anyone has any questions about the school's application/interviews PM me. More than happy to help :)

EDIT: should prob mention I'm instate

One of my good friends was just accepted. I think I'd be happy here.

was accepted to EVMS and starting this August...if anyone has any questions about the school's application/interviews PM me. More than happy to help :)

EDIT: should prob mention I'm instate

Do you remember what the secondary questions were?

Thanks!

Do you remember what the secondary questions were?

Thanks!

*2011-2012 secondary questions*
And as such are subject to change for the 2012-2013 secondary

2000 char limit each with spaces

1. Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

2. What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

3. What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

4. Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now.

5. Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

Like Don15, I'm an incoming MS1. I'll try to answer questions here (If I know the answers).

Hi, OOS here and excited to apply to this school!
I'd like to do the combined MD/MPH program. Should I check the "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate" option on AMCAS, or select Regular MD? I see there's a separate online app on the school's website for MD/MPH hopefuls, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to designate this on AMCAS.

Hi, OOS here and excited to apply to this school!
I'd like to do the combined MD/MPH program. Should I check the "Combined Medical Degree/Graduate" option on AMCAS, or select Regular MD? I see there's a separate online app on the school's website for MD/MPH hopefuls, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to designate this on AMCAS.

I chose to go elsewhere but I was accepted to EVMS and the MD/MPH program. Here is the website for the supplemental app for the combined program:
http://www.evms.edu/md-programs/joint-md-mph-program.html

I don't think you need to check the combined degree box in AMCAS. I made the decision much later to pursue the MD/MPH and my AMCAS only said applying for MD. I know they are looking to expand the program with ODU so they love seeing interest in it; be sure to make it a topic of conversation on interview day.

Not applying anytime soon, but does anyone know how much of a preference they give to Hampton Roads residents?

is he/she happy there?
He'll be attending this upcoming year hopefully. If he says anything, I'd be happy to share with you guys. :)
I am not sure if he decided to attend EVMS for sure, or if he was just accepted and then chose another school. I've perused their website and it looks great.

Not applying anytime soon, but does anyone know how much of a preference they give to Hampton Roads residents?

A lot. It's hard to quantify this of course but serving Hampton Roads is part of the school's mission and you will hear about it on interview day. Being from Hampton Roads would be a huge plus on your app.

Last edited:
this secondary SUCKS! how am i supposed to indicate if a class and a lab were combined when entering coursework?? also my school only had one semester of Organic Chemistry Lab...so am I supposed to enter the same course twice for both semesters? I have the same problem with Gen bio lab...anyone have any advice????

this secondary SUCKS! how am i supposed to indicate if a class and a lab were combined when entering coursework?? also my school only had one semester of Organic Chemistry Lab...so am I supposed to enter the same course twice for both semesters? I have the same problem with Gen bio lab...anyone have any advice????

Same problem man, plus my school is on the quarter system, hopefully this section is only there to make sure you take all the pre-reqs

hey guys can anyone tell me if hampton roads is a medically underserved area? thanks!

Managed to receive a secondary with a 3.1/3.7 28O. Grades were all 3.6+ after freshman year.

Wow, got my first rejection of the cycle. EVMS just sent me a rejection email. :(

CA resident, 3.4 gpa/31 MCAT.

is anyone having a hard time paying for the secondary? it keeps telling me invalid billing address.....

Wow, I didn't think I'd survive an OOS primary screening and have been contemplating retaking the MCAT.

Would I be at a disadvantage if I waited until the very end of July (~29-30th) to submit the secondary? I'm taking a final prerequisite and assume they'd want that grade. Or is it better to turn this secondary around within a week?

Last edited:
i cant get a picture thats small enough! how did u guys take ur pictures?

Havent received it :(

I got a secondary with a 29 and 3.65/3.6 and OOS. I guess I got lucky.

Last edited:
My guess is that they screen OOS applicants with below a 3.5 GPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.