2012-2013 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep same. Thx for your post so I know it's just not my app.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a "complete" email. I submitted my secondary on 7/18.

though, I am kind of annoyed at this...
NO APPLICANT IS REJECTED DURING THE INTERVIEW SEASON.

I kind of wish they would just make a decision upon reviewing our applications, that way I would know for sure instead of being hopeful up until February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a "complete" email. I submitted my secondary on 7/20

Just got a "complete" email. I submitted my secondary on 7/18.

though, I am kind of annoyed at this...

I kind of wish they would just make a decision upon reviewing our applications, that way I would know for sure instead of being hopeful up until February.

Yeah, talk about a fire and forget application, lol

Submitted 7/18 and I'm not listed as complete yet either. But I'm going to give it 2 weeks before I start getting nervous. Hard not to be nervous, though - Emory is my 1st choice by far :xf:

2 weeks is the general amount of time, but it may be a bit later at this point in the cycle. The people who read most of the applications have been busy with the orientation of the new M1s. That orientation finished last week, so I'm sure things will start to speed up now.

Just got complete email today. Submitted the secondary on 7/13.

Still waiting for mine, complete 7/20 though so it will probably be a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
So anxious to get a complete email. I submitted 7/23. A little jealous of the quick turnaround you got mirimonster.

submitted 7/19, still not complete :(

just booked a trip to Atlanta for late September (to visit friends). anyone hear of people sending an "in the area" letter to this school? i don't want to seem presumptuous but people seem to have had success with this at GW

just booked a trip to Atlanta for late September (to visit friends). anyone hear of people sending an "in the area" letter to this school? i don't want to seem presumptuous but people seem to have had success with this at GW

Probably not. I don't think Emory accepts interest letters pre-interview, especially right now when no one has gotten an interview invite.

on the secondary, under the category "degree program", you can choose from MD only, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, and MD/MA; for the MD/MPH, is this kind of binding or more of an "I am possibly interested in this" sort of thing?

on the secondary, under the category "degree program", you can choose from MD only, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, and MD/MA; for the MD/MPH, is this kind of binding or more of an "I am possibly interested in this" sort of thing?
Just found this on the Emory website:

MD/MPH
Applicants must follow all AAMC procedures to apply through AMCAS first. Verified applicants will be sent instructions to complete the online Emory Supplemental Application. Those who wish to apply to the MD/MPH program may indicate this on the Emory Supplemental Application. All of the same application deadlines apply. Applicants who are interested in the MPH program are encouraged to indicate this on their application.

(NOTE: [/B]Indication of interest in the MD/MPH program at the time of application to medical school does not formally commit applicants to this program. Medical students have until their third year of medical school to officially decide if they wish to pursue the MPH – even if they did not indicate interest in this program at the time of application.[/B]) Please be sure to review the information for MD Admissions.

Only pick one of the dual degree options if you're going to apply to the program for the 2nd degree at the same time you're applying to MD. Otherwise, with the exception of the MD/PhD you can come in as just MD but also decide to pursue the 2nd degree later on.

"Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to formally complete your application"

submitted 7/26..two weeks ago today...still not complete!!

"Please note that it may take up to 2 weeks to formally complete your application"

submitted 7/26..two weeks ago today...still not complete!!

I submitted 7/24, just got the complete email. So give it a couple more days.

When do you think they will start handing out interviews? Last year, it looks like the first went out around 8/15.

Quick question: I have sort of a weird situation. I was an engineering major for the first year and a half of college, then switched to Biomedical Sciences. Halfway through my junior year (and after a lot of research, shadowing, and volunteering) I decided on medical school. However, because all my engineering credits didn't count towards my new major, I was way behind. I scrambled to graduate on time and all my engineering credits ended up being counted as electives, so I didn't get the 18 hours of humanities credits that Emory requires. I only have twelve. The rest of my stats are OK for the school (3.7 ugrad, 4.0 grad, 35Q, lots of research, teaching, & volunteer work, blah blah) but is this going to really hurt me in my application? Should I even apply here? Should I say I'll take a humanities course next spring?

Done with the secondary, just need to submit. Emory is one of my top schools and I'd love to go here. Thanks in advance for the advice guys, and good luck to everyone!

Skip

Last edited:
Quick question: I have sort of a weird situation. I was an engineering major for the first year and a half of college, then switched to Biomedical Sciences. Halfway through my junior year (and after a lot of research, shadowing, and volunteering) I decided on medical school. However, because all my engineering credits didn't count towards my new major, I was way behind. I scrambled to graduate on time and all my engineering credits ended up being counted as electives, so I didn't get the 18 hours of humanities credits that Emory requires. I only have twelve. The rest of my stats are OK for the school (3.7 ugrad, 4.0 grad, 35Q, lots of research, teaching, & volunteer work, blah blah) but is this going to really hurt me in my application? Should I even apply here? Should I say I'll take a humanities course next spring?

Done with the secondary, just need to submit. Emory is one of my top schools and I'd love to go here. Thanks in advance for the advice guys, and good luck to everyone!

Skip

Call the admissions office. The people there are incredibly nice and would be more than happy to answer any and all questions.

When do you think they will start handing out interviews? Last year, it looks like the first went out around 8/15.

They are handing out interviews beginning this week, as the M1s were told today.

They are handing out interviews beginning this week, as the M1s were told today.
Thanks for the info! And wow IIs in just a few days. How exciting!

How long after being verified did it take to receive a secondary email? I've been waiting for over a week and have them all pre-written.... I just want the option to submit

How long after being verified did it take to receive a secondary email? I've been waiting for over a week and have them all pre-written.... I just want the option to submit

I think it took about a month..

I was verified 7/13 and received it 7/17. So it didn't take very long for me

So what happened to those invites that were supposed to come today?

sorry if this has already been answered, but are Emory secondaries screened or sent automatically to anyone who submits a primary?

according to the thread on "which schools have already sent out interview invitations," Emory started sending them out today.

Complete today!! I really hope Emory gives me a chance!

Last edited:
Has anyone received interview invites from Emory yet?

I got an interview invite about a week ago. They only give one day for the interview and I had to reschedule mine. I'm super excited to visit Atlanta though. Really excited about visiting Emory.

I got an interview invite about a week ago. They only give one day for the interview and I had to reschedule mine. I'm super excited to visit Atlanta though. Really excited about visiting Emory.

Awesome! Congratulations... Atlanta is a great city

Congrats! When were you complete?

I was complete 8/1

Last edited:
Interview invite received last night! I was complete on 8/6 and have the interview scheduled for september 24th.

Interview invite received last night! I was complete on 8/6 and have the interview scheduled for september 24th.

Congrats! Mind sharing you stats? I'm an Emory undergrad so have been really waiting for an II.

Emory undergrad here too. Still waiting... :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.