2012-2013 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After interviewing here, its definitely my top choice so far. The facilities are amazing and everyone was super nice and enthusiastic. I really felt like they were trying to sell the school to me as much as I was trying to sell myself to them.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm putting this in the Emory thread since this is one of my "reach" schools.My stats are-

3.9 gpa
33Q 11 Verbal, 12 Bio, 10 Physical Sci (really bombed the Phys. Sci)
Good letters of rec.
substantial shadowing & Volunteering, no leadership positions, unpublished
top 15 USNews college
Florida resident
secondaries all submitted prior to 9/1

My problem is......I have only receive one II.

Had a few reaches-

Cornell
UCLA
UCSF
Vandy
Emory
Northwestern
NYU
Brown
UVa
The others....

USC
GW
Georgetown
Central Florida
Florida
Florida St.
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Wisconsin
Tufts
Boston
Wake

Aside from a rejection from UCSF, nothing...nada...zip. Aspirations too high?

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

Thx.

Was I just too late for this cycle? Is the "10" eliminating me?

Thx.

So it's only been 4 weeks since you've been complete...I wouldn't worry yet! Most of these schools are still processing secondaries received in August. Your stats are definitely solid and I think you'll get a few II at least. Hang in there...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm putting this in the Emory thread since this is one of my "reach" schools.My stats are-

3.9 gpa
33Q 11 Verbal, 12 Bio, 10 Physical Sci (really bombed the Phys. Sci)
Good letters of rec.
substantial shadowing & Volunteering, no leadership positions, unpublished
top 15 USNews college
Florida resident
secondaries all submitted prior to 9/1

My problem is......I have only receive one II.

Had a few reaches-

Cornell
UCLA
UCSF
Vandy
Emory
Northwestern
NYU
Brown
UVa
The others....

USC
GW
Georgetown
Central Florida
Florida
Florida St.
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson
Wisconsin
Tufts
Boston
Wake

Thx.

I agree, give it time! Most of these schools interview until AT LEAST December, some even through February! And I would NOT worry about your 10, I had a 9 in verbal (albeit a 14 in PS and 13 in BS) and have already interviewed at NYU, UF, and UCF (amongst the schools that you also applied to). Just stay patient :)

I agree, give it time! Most of these schools interview until AT LEAST December, some even through February! And I would NOT worry about your 10, I had a 9 in verbal (albeit a 14 in PS and 13 in BS) and have already interviewed at NYU, UF, and UCF (amongst the schools that you also applied to). Just stay patient :)

same, do not worry yourself over that 10. I have a 9 in PS (12's in BS and VR) and I've been fortunate to receive plenty of interviews, including one at Emory. You will be fine, just be patient.

After interviewing here, its definitely my top choice so far. The facilities are amazing and everyone was super nice and enthusiastic. I really felt like they were trying to sell the school to me as much as I was trying to sell myself to them.

how was the group interview?

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)
Is this question asking what a physician is doing besides treating patients. Like volunteering and doing charity.

Do you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application? If so, please describe below. (100 words or less)
Is it best to leave this question blank.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (100 words or less)
Is this question asking what a physician is doing besides treating patients. Like volunteering and doing charity.

Well, yes that could be considered an answer. Really it is just generally what role does the physician play.

Do you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application? If so, please describe below. (100 words or less)
Is it best to leave this question blank.

This should be self-explanatory. If you have nothing new (e.g. awards, publications, new volunteer positions, etc.) then don't say anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
First interview invite of the season!!! So excited!

Complete 8/16

Congrats, guys! I'm really really hoping to hear from Emory soon. :xf:

Does anyone know if I choose the option for MD/MPH, will my application be considered for that program and the core MD program? I sent an email Monday, but I have not gotten a response.

Does anyone know if I choose the option for MD/MPH, will my application be considered for that program and the core MD program? I sent an email Monday, but I have not gotten a response.

I think they consider you first for the MD/MPH. Then if you don't make it to that, they consider you separately only for the MD. Don't quote me on that though..I would call instead.

I have an Interview here on 10/15, and I'm kind of curious about the group interview format. Could any of you who have attended interviews here offer any insight about this?

Thanks!

Don't worry about it too much. The group interview is pretty relaxed. They address specific questions to each candidate, but just make sure you are concise when answering. They will cut you off if you start rambling.

I submitted my primary application is late September. I have decent GPA and MCAT score without leadership experience.
Is leadership experience mandatory for admission to Emory's MD program?

I understand you may want to keep anonymity and may feel uncomfortable sharing your stats, but "decent" is a vague term. To me that means something like a 3.6 and 32, but to others on this forum that may mean a 3.7 and 34. If you have something like my interpretation, then honestly, I don't think you have the best chances at Emory right now. It's getting late into the cycle, and if you just submitted your primary, you're already at a great disadvantage. I'd say leadership is important (though not "mandatory") not just for Emory, but pretty much most other schools as well. But if you feel you have something significant in your application and really, really want to go to Emory, then I'd go ahead and apply anyway. You never know for sure until you try. Good luck :)

I submitted my primary application is late September. I have decent GPA and MCAT score without leadership experience.
Is leadership experience mandatory for admission to Emory's MD program?

Are you really going to post this in every schools application thread?

Don't worry about it too much. The group interview is pretty relaxed. They address specific questions to each candidate, but just make sure you are concise when answering. They will cut you off if you start rambling.

what kinds of questions? i feel like the whole group interview is kind of an invasion of applicants' privacy if they ask personal behavioral questions or about your grades/history...

"MD/PhD Applicants: Your application will be screened for an interview by the MD/PhD Admissions Committee first. If interviewed but not selected for admission to the MD/PhD program, you will be evaluated for admission to the MD program and will not need to be re-interviewed. If not selected for an interview for the dual degree program, you will be notified directly by the MD/PhD program. You may let us know at that time if you wish to be screened for an interview for the MD-only program."

"MD/PhD Applicants: Your application will be screened for an interview by the MD/PhD Admissions Committee first. If interviewed but not selected for admission to the MD/PhD program, you will be evaluated for admission to the MD program and will not need to be re-interviewed. If not selected for an interview for the dual degree program, you will be notified directly by the MD/PhD program. You may let us know at that time if you wish to be screened for an interview for the MD-only program."
The poster said MD/MPH not MD/PhD

The poster said MD/MPH not MD/PhD

ooops here you go:

"MD/MPH Applicants: Your application will be reviewed for the MD program. If an interview is granted and admission to the MD program is offered, acceptance to the MPH program is automatic, contingent upon successful completion of the medical school curriculum prior to the MPH year. MD/MPH students typically complete the first three years of the MD program, followed by one year in public health, followed by completion of the final MD year."

Just wondering if there is a particular browser to access the secondary? I am having trouble logging into the secondary website. This would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Just wondering if there is a particular browser to access the secondary? I am having trouble logging into the secondary website. This would be greatly appreciated.

I think they're having issues today. Can't log on either.

Anyone here mind posting the dates they are mailing out acceptances this year. Thsnks

10/22, 11/19, 12/21, 2/4, 2/18:xf::xf::xf:
If someone is interviewing on 11/9, would they possibly be mailed an acceptance on 11/19, or would it most likely be on 12/21 or a later date?

If someone is interviewing on 11/9, would they possibly be mailed an acceptance on 11/19, or would it most likely be on 12/21 or a later date?
You're probably get it on 12/21 if you're accepted. You might get it on 11/19 if the committee happens to meet in that short time frame between your interview and when the letters go out but I think the 12/21 date is more likely. I don't have anything to back this up though, just my intuition. maybe someone from last year's cycle might know better.

Anyone know what is going on with the secondary link?

You're probably get it on 12/21 if you're accepted. You might get it on 11/19 if the committee happens to meet in that short time frame between your interview and when the letters go out but I think the 12/21 date is more likely. I don't have anything to back this up though, just my intuition. maybe someone from last year's cycle might know better.
thanks!

thanks guys, Im II on 10/15 so I guess it depends when the committee meets. cutting it too close though I think haha.

they told us on the 8th that we were eligible for the 10/22 date, so i'm not sure if that's just coincidence or if they really do meet right before each acceptance date. they will tell you at your interview though, i'm sure.

Anybody who has already attended an interview here care to share their thoughts/experience (apart from what can be gathered by reading the interview feedback material)? Mine is coming up in a couple weeks and it will be my first interview of the season! Just trying to get a good idea of what to expect, highlights of the school, etc. :)

II yesterday! So excited, Emory undergrad and this is likely my top choice. xD

So if my interview is 10/29, is it fair to say I should hear back by the 11/19 mailing?

Not being from Atlanta nor spending any time there, I'm not very familiar with the city. Would any Atlanta residents care to comment on the pros and cons of Atlanta for someone in our age group? Thanks!

Not being from Atlanta nor spending any time there, I'm not very familiar with the city. Would any Atlanta residents care to comment on the pros and cons of Atlanta for someone in our age group? Thanks!

Pro: Everything you would ever need is in Atlanta
Con: You have to find it first

Pro: Plenty of things to do here (sports, attractions, etc)
Con: You have to get there first

Pro: Golf year round
Con: Gotta get there

Pro: Lots of excellent restaurants and bars
Con: same

Takeaway: Atlanta is great, but metro Atlanta is absolutely gigantic...also, the crime rate is a little high in some areas, but that kinda comes with the whole big city thing

Emory secondary website still not working :/! I wanna submit my secondary!

Pros: Party central. Clubs open EVERYDAY of the week till 3-5am. (if that's your thing)
Cons: Can be distracting around certain times of year. (ALL holidays)

Pros: Living downtown is okay (for me at least)
Cons: TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC and someone tried to rob me at 11am

Pros: Variety of things to do (museums, art, music, food, dance)
Cons: Gotta find it (as said before)

Pros: This is a singles town
Cons: Sucks if you're like me and been single for 5 years

Pros: Very very very large SUCCESSFUL African American community
Cons: Black Hollywood.. literally. This is where they film movies, shows, and the BET hip hop awards, etc... can be annoying at times. Some people are straight up ignorant

Pros: Awesome hiking in N. GA, Tubing, Skydiving, outdoors activities
Cons: If you don't have a car you are VERY limited

Pros: Cost of gas in metro Atl $3.45
Cons: Cost of gas downtown Atl $3.90

Pros: Cost of apt outside Atl (metro area) approximately $500-$700 for one bedroom
Cons: Cost of apt in the city, close to Emory approximately $800 - $1000

Pros: Piedmont Park, Midtown (some areas), Buckhead, Centennial Park, Coca-Cola, GA Dome, CNN Center
Cons: Bankhead, SW Atl, Vine City, Adamsville (these are all areas within the city of Atl )

Status
Not open for further replies.