2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question. I sent a letter of intent awhile back (I'm pretty sure it was back in like December or something). I was wondering if it would be a good idea to send another one now that the cycle is ending or is it normal to send only one. I did send in an update letter about some new things I've been doing recently.

I don't think another update or interest letter will help at this point. One of each is what I would consider the limit. You want them to know you're interested without annoying them.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think another update or interest letter will help at this point. One of each is what I would consider the limit. You want them to know you're interested without annoying them.

True. I did send one update at the end of the fall semester and one recently since FSU had the april 15 deadline. Guess it's just sit back and patiently wait. :xf:

Hey guys sorry for not pertaining to the application process but I have a few questions.:laugh:

I am currently a freshman at FAMU's biology program and I plan to apply to FSU COM as my top choice.

1. What are some things that I should do during the summer to increase my chances of acceptance?

2. Do FAMU students get accepted as much as other students?( because after viewing the student profile, few students were from FAMU.)

3. What are some things I should be planning ahead for if I plan to attend FSU COM?

Thanks a lot!

Born and raised in tally. Hopefully I can continue in FSU COM!

Disclaimer: I have not been accepted to FSU COM, but I can relay info that they've told me and other things that I've learned through the application process as a whole.

1. Shadow!!! But don't do the whole trying to watch surgeries and junk. Yes, it's cool...but not the type of shadowing they want to see. Shadow family docs, geriatricians, pediatricians, etc. More of the general docs that are in short supply. These are consistent with their mission statement (to provide Florida with more docs that can work in rural and underserved populations). Also, make these shadowings meaningful. That means to do some long-term shadowing...get to the point that the doctor allows you to be active in the process (for instance, get to the point where the doctor allows you to do a mock patient work-up with some of the patients or take some vitals). What admissions committees are looking for is that you really got involved in the patient aspect of shadowing--that you actually like to work with people.

Also, volunteer!! Pick something that will help build upon the shadowing experiences...like hospice, assisted living, nursing homes, etc. They are always needing volunteers for changing bedpans, patient transport and interaction, etc. Again, showing that you enjoy being with and communicating with patients in more than just a strictly clinical setting. And, like with shadowing, do long-term volunteering....don't hop around a bit. Show commitment.

2. From what I've heard from current students, FSU doesn't discriminate based on your undergrad college (however they do accept a lot of FSU alum). But they do like to accept those from rural areas and those from the panhandle because that's ultimately where they want to see the doctors that they train go back to. So play that up in your app.

3. Keep that science GPA at around 3.5+! Try to avoid withdrawals and retakes (because you can't withdraw from classes or retake classes in med school). On your MCAT (you'll have to take the new version), try to get 9+'s in all categories (to be competitive in general). Regardless of what anyone says about admissions being based upon a holistic approach, it still is important that you are above the curve on GPA and MCAT. Also, take biochemistry and biostatistics (epidemiology or statistics) because they will be moving to the required list of courses in the near future. Best to just go ahead and get those out of the way. Also, the new MCAT will be testing you on some basic psychology, social sciences, humanities...so take like an intro to psych, and some sociology so you are well prepared.

Side note, if you have to work while going to school...it doesn't have to be a healthcare related job (although that is awesome if you can swing it). Go for jobs that reflect customer service--waiting, hostess, retail...because even if you are having a bad day, you still have to treat that customer with utmost respect and kindness.

Conclusion, admissions wants to see that you 1) like people and like to work/serve them...even if you aren't getting paid to do so, 2) willing to do the crappy/menial tasks in the medical field just so you can be around it (dedication and love of the field of medicine), 3) and that you are studious. Sure extracurriculars in undergrad are fun and can set apart your application...but the above are necessary to your application. And lastly, don't give up! This is a long and difficult process. I've been working on it for a good 3 years and had to do a one-year master's program to beef up my app because I didn't really do what I'm advising you to do. Learn from my mistakes! Hang in there and you will do fine come time to apply!! GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the wealth of information you provided. I will certainly begin to volunteer and shadow ASAP!

No problem. I wish I knew more or had better advising early on...if I did, I would probably be in med school by now. But I had to learn a lot of stuff the hard way. If you have any more questions about applications, MCAT, etc...just private message me!

will do thanks a lot!

No problem. I wish I knew more or had better advising early on...if I did, I would probably be in med school by now. But I had to learn a lot of stuff the hard way. If you have any more questions about applications, MCAT, etc...just private message me!

mvb2 hit the nail on the head. Any undergrads looking for basic tips for being accepted would due well to follow this advise.

Thanks butler!! Now I'm following the backup, roundabout, non-trad way of getting into med school hahaha

So Interviewed on the very last day, April 29th. Even though I was interviewing for an alternate list position and went in with that mindset I actually thoroughly enjoyed the day and the school. If I were accepted to all 3 MD schools I interviewed at I would pick FSU above the rest.

So Interviewed on the very last day, April 29th. Even though I was interviewing for an alternate list position and went in with that mindset I actually thoroughly enjoyed the day and the school. If I were accepted to all 3 MD schools I interviewed at I would pick FSU above the rest.

Tell 'em that.

I am currently on the hold list (trying to be patient!) and was wondering if anyone knew any updates? I kinda heard this rumor from a person who knows a person (see why I'm a little skeptical) that some people who had initially been put on hold were recently rejected via email. Has anyone else heard this?

A friend of mine that is currently studying at another state school tells me that FSU has below average STEP I scores. Is that true? If so why do you think that is.

A friend of mine that is currently studying at another state school tells me that FSU has below average STEP I scores. Is that true? If so why do you think that is.

Lol. Kinda. It's a more than a little misleading though. I think our class average was like 220 or so and the national average my year was about 222 that year. So technically was it below average? Yes. Is 2 points below average anything to get worried about? No. Do half of all medical schools get below average step 1 scores? Yes. I think when I was an MS2 and they showed us the previous 4 years statistics, 3 were below average, 1 was above average - all 3 below average classes were within 1-2 points of average and the one above average was within 3-4 above average. Something may have happened in the past couple years where step 1 scores have dropped off precipitously, but i doubt it.

Average step 1 score is very misleading. There weren't a lot of people in my class gunning for ortho, nsg, derm, radonc, etc. FSU has a lot of people who actually want to go into primary care so as long as they pass step 1, they're golden.

Are the average step 1 scores at hopkins/harvard/mayo/ucsf higher? I'm sure. Are they higher because they teach you more material or teach it in a way that is more conducive to doing well on step 1? Of course not. They simply are, as a whole, a group that is more likely to want to go into more prestigious/harder to match specialties and, to be honest, they probably have a smarter group of students than your average state school. If you take two identical students and put them in a different school, the only sizable difference in step scores would come from how much emphasis the school puts on step 1 (although FSU does have a habit of underemphasizing the importance of step 1 in my opinion).

You aren't limited by your classes average and I would argue that almost nothing your school does to prepare you correlates to how well their student body does on step 1. It's 99% how much you studying during your 2 years, how efficient you are in your devoted study time, how smart you are, whether you study "right" and, to some extent, luck. I did pretty well on step 1 (just shy of 250) and really well on step 2 (just shy of 270). Of my closest 10 or so closest friends in med school, I think maybe 2 scored <240.....and both matched in specialties that are near in the top 5 or so specializes as far as how hard to match into.

Feel free to respond if you have any more questions or PM me.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for responding so quickly. I really appreciate that. Over the course of the day they told us a lot about the school but not much about the curriculum. The students said classes are generally from 8a or 9a to noon or one. Is that true? Also is it systems based or more traditional?

Thank you again. I really appreciate the help.

You're welcome. I literally just finished my last day of 4th year today and I'm killing time waiting for my wife to get home.

I wish I could tell you about class......I could barely find my way to the classroom. I'm very much a textbook, earbuds and coffee studier. First year summer is anatomy. Lecture (iirc) around noon, then 3 hours of lab on alternating days. Most everyone went to lecture that first semester because we were all terrified of med school. Fall and spring are usually 1-4 with one morning a week being doctoring (for everyone) and 1 morning a week for clc. Second year was m-f 8-12. Then one day a week clc in the afternoon.

You also have a half day of clinic every (maybe every other?) week both years.

If you're like me (ADD poster child who can't sit through class), you can get by without going to school much. Thankfully FSU does not require attendance so you can use your time however you feel is most effective. Any given week, the minimum time requirements are: clc for about 2 hours (I think every other week alternating with clinic weeks), clinic for a few hours, 1-3h of required small groups, a short quiz once a week or so. Occasionally there will be a required lecture, maybe once every third week or so when it's a topic they are required to cover but know no one will show up. Then exams are once a month on a Friday from 8-12.

All the specifics are pretty iffy, but that's the gist of it.

Killing time till you can bludgeon her in the face with frozen snack foods again?

I am currently on the hold list (trying to be patient!) and was wondering if anyone knew any updates? I kinda heard this rumor from a person who knows a person (see why I'm a little skeptical) that some people who had initially been put on hold were recently rejected via email. Has anyone else heard this?

Hey! I was logging on to give everyone an update, and saw that it pertained to your question. I was on hold, and got a rejection email from them today. :( Not sure if today was the big day, or if they are doing this throughout the week.

Good luck to all of you on the hold list that haven't heard anything yet! Take it as a good sign ;) As for me, looks like I'll be going to my safety medical school in the fall. I already had my acceptance when I interviewed at FSU, and I let them know that they were my top choice... too bad it didn't work out for me, but at least I'm still going to medical school :thumbup: Again, good luck guys!!

Hey! I was logging on to give everyone an update, and saw that it pertained to your question. I was on hold, and got a rejection email from them today. :( Not sure if today was the big day, or if they are doing this throughout the week.

Good luck to all of you on the hold list that haven't heard anything yet! Take it as a good sign ;) As for me, looks like I'll be going to my safety medical school in the fall. I already had my acceptance when I interviewed at FSU, and I let them know that they were my top choice... too bad it didn't work out for me, but at least I'm still going to medical school :thumbup: Again, good luck guys!!

Well good. I'm still on the hold list!!!

did acceptance go out already?

For bridge? I am not 100% that all the acceptances were offered just yet but I do know about 5 people who received acceptance letters on the 7th.

On average our step 1 scores are below the national mean. I personally think this stems from two intrinsic issues with FSU COM.

#1) Our accepted-applicant MCAT average is below the national mean for matriculated students. The general consensus is that MCAT does not correlate well with an individual student's step scores. I 100% agree. However, there is SOME correlation between the two due to the fact that both exams are standardized tests that require long stretches of preparation and refined critical thinking skills. Will a bad MCAT score predispose a student to a bad Step score? Absolutely not, but if a student is notoriously bad at taking standardized tests or has problems organizing a strict study schedule, he/she will need to factor that in when studying for Step.

#2) FSU has a focus on patient-centered medicine. They demonstrate this by many hours of (often mandatory) lectures based on empathy, the doctor-patient relationship and patient-disease panels. This leaves less time for "Board-only" topics that are less important for everyday doctor life, but important for doing well on the test (ex. biostats, study design, psychiatry). These topics are of course covered, but in my opinion, not as comprehensively as they are at other schools. Every school has some sort of Behavior and pseudo-social science coverage, because it is mandated by the LCME, FSU COM just has, on average, more than other schools due to it's mission.

To wrap things up, this is just MY opinion, and as I am in the midst of step studying right now, I may be a tad cynical. So I suggest taking everything I say with a grain of salt (and as some in my class would advise, a healthy dose of penicillin :) ). Anyways, congrats to all the accepted applicants! All joking aside, you will have a good time here I promise.

I think the slightly below the mean is the result of a bimodal distribution. FSU purposefully accepts people who they think are more likely to go into primary care. Many of my friends, whom will make great doctors, didn't study quite as hard because they knew that the specialities aren't as competitive. (Great way to shoot yourself in the foot)

All schools have BS and many have mandatory attendance, but still do better.

I found the mcat and step 1 to be dramatically different tests. Step 1 has much greater correlation with effort in studying for it over an extended period of time. If you gave an undergrad a copy of first aid and uworld question bank and told them to study and know everything in it for 2 years, they would probably perform pretty well but ignored much of the clinical stuff.

FTIW, I got a 27 (on my second try) and got a 243 (which was a let down) and a 266 on step 2. I didn't go to a majority of the lectures and even the mandatory stuff was usually me answering uworld questions.

I think the slightly below the mean is the result of a bimodal distribution. FSU purposefully accepts people who they think are more likely to go into primary care. Many of my friends, whom will make great doctors, didn't study quite as hard because they knew that the specialities aren't as competitive. (Great way to shoot yourself in the foot)

All schools have BS and many have mandatory attendance, but still do better.

I found the mcat and step 1 to be dramatically different tests. Step 1 has much greater correlation with effort in studying for it over an extended period of time. If you gave an undergrad a copy of first aid and uworld question bank and told them to study and know everything in it for 2 years, they would probably perform pretty well but ignored much of the clinical stuff.

FTIW, I got a 27 (on my second try) and got a 243 (which was a let down) and a 266 on step 2. I didn't go to a majority of the lectures and even the mandatory stuff was usually me answering uworld questions.

Have you seen the distributions for our scores? I personally have not, so I can't comment on a possible bimodal distribution. Anecdotal evidence by knowing people with very high and very low scores isn't a reliable benchmark IMO. I 100% agree with you that step 1 is more "work-dependent" then "talent-dependent," but I will say that on average, people with poor MCAT scores (or problems with standardized tests in general) have harder times than their counterparts on step 1. Much of standardized test is learning how to beat the question, which on step 1 is artificially inflated by UWORLD and other qbanks. These qbanks are refined resources for teaching students, whether naturally good at standardized test or not, how to beat questions. Equivalent resources for MCAT do not exist in my opinion, so it is more "talent-dependent" then "work dependent."

Well, got a nice rejection letter this morning after being put on hold back in October. Thought I might have made the cut to May 15, but alas it was a day short. Ahh well. Best of luck to everyone else. Hope you guys/gals hear some good news from this school.

Well, got a nice rejection letter this morning after being put on hold back in October. Thought I might have made the cut to May 15, but alas it was a day short. Ahh well. Best of luck to everyone else. Hope you guys/gals hear some good news from this school.
Was the letter sent in an email or snail mail? To what May 15th cut are you referring?

Got my rejection the other day (forgot to post). It was through email. This was not a surprise lol...third time's the charm right?!

Got my rejection the other day (forgot to post). It was through email. This was not a surprise lol...third time's the charm right?!

Got the rejection letter too on Monday. Interviewed Jan 18

Anybody out there still on hold and haven't heard anything yet?

just an update, i just got into the bridge program after being on hold since november

I interviewed and I am still on hold. Any insight?

Until you get a rejection, there is still a remote chance. I was accepted the Friday before orientation. One of my classmates was accepted during orientation.

Very nice to hear UCF SOM made it on TV with the National News!

Until you get a rejection, there is still a remote chance. I was accepted the Friday before orientation. One of my classmates was accepted during orientation.

Wow! While I am growing more anxious by the day, I'd be happy to get in that late. Fingers crossed!

yes I am.. I truly fell in love with tally and fsu

yes I am.. I truly fell in love with tally and fsu

Welcome to the bridge family!!! You're gonna loveeeee it :)
Cake45 join our bridge fb group

I was accepted today! Yay!!
Congrats nolemed!!! Join the 2017 fb group

See you both at orientation in 7 days!!!!!! Please let me know if I can help you all in anyway :)

Hey everyone, so I've been on hold since early April and I sent in a letter of interest last week. I don't have any updates to tell them about. I'm wondering, should I just wait until they give me their decision or is there anything else I can do? If I call, what should I say? Will they be able to tell me anything other than that I am still on hold? Does anyone know if their waitlists are ranked? Any tips? My mom jokingly suggested she should bake some cookies...at this point, maybe we should :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.