2012-2013 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't edit first and last name. Guess we will have to see if anything changes tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes to the name issue! Blah would've submitted tonight if not for that.

I definitely spilled my heart out for the "why Georgetown" question. Good luck every one:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called about the first name, last name issue. They said that they're working on it, and it should be fixed by this afternoon or tomorrow.

Just called about the first name, last name issue. They said that they're working on it, and it should be fixed by this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. Still having the problem, so I came on here to check....

Bump: they fixed the problem (at least for me). good luck everyone

It worked for me too. Looks like they've fixed the issue.

just submitted. really excited to be applying here!

So one of the questions is "Are you/will you be enrolled as a student at Georgetown University during the 2011-2012 academic year?" Is this a typo and should it read 2012-2013? I was graduated in May so should I say yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got 2 emails, one with my pin# and one with the password, and I can access almost all of the application. The only problem is I can't paste anything into the short answer section (ive tried copying from different sources, different browsers, etc).

Also, I other than the 2 emails, I havent received a request for a secondary, perhaps that is the problem? has anyone else tried to fill in the secondary without receiving a request form?

So I got 2 emails, one with my pin# and one with the password, and I can access almost all of the application. The only problem is I can't paste anything into the short answer section (ive tried copying from different sources, different browsers, etc).

Also, I other than the 2 emails, I havent received a request for a secondary, perhaps that is the problem? has anyone else tried to fill in the secondary without receiving a request form?

I can't paste either so I had to type it manually.

Sent via mobile

What's the cost for this one? Trying to budget... :/

The only problem is I can't paste anything into the short answer section (ive tried copying from different sources, different browsers, etc).

i couldn't paste in chrome, but it worked fine in firefox. bummer it won't work for you.

$130... priciest one I've come by so far :-/

Ugghhh! I have 3 schools so far with secondaries over $100, and two more that are close to $100. :thumbdown: Aren't they going to get enough money from people when we pay tuition? :scared::( End rant. :oops::rolleyes:

Are there intramural sports at Georgetown Med?

Can anyone find a link that explains excatly what cura personalis is supposed to mean? I find the explanation of 'care for the complete person' everywhere, but what does that even mean?

Thanks for posting these, I read them both. Unfortunately I'm still struggling to answer why this school. There just doesn't seem to be anything unique to talk about :(. So they want to create compassionate, ethical, and concerned physicians. Uhhh, doesn't every school want to do this? Maybe I am just being too cynical.

"The Georgetown medical experience is centered in "cura personalis"-- care for the psychological (job of a therapist), spiritual (job of a priest), social (job of a social worker). as well as physical (DOCTOR!!!!) well being of the person." Come on, this just seems like fluff to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these, I read them both. Unfortunately I'm still struggling to answer why this school. There just doesn't seem to be anything unique to talk about :(. So they want to create compassionate, ethical, and concerned physicians. Uhhh, doesn't every school want to do this? Maybe I am just being too cynical.

"The Georgetown medical experience is centered in "cura personalis"-- care for the psychological (job of a therapist), spiritual (job of a priest), social (job of a social worker). as well as physical (DOCTOR!!!!) well being of the person." Come on, this just seems like fluff to me.

Cura personalis is probably what 90% of applicants write about. I didn't mention it at all, though I did attend a Jesuit undergrad and mentioned my interest in continued pursuit of blah blah blah. I focused more on actual programs and services offered at GU.

Actually caring about people isn't for everyone. Some people just want to treat disease (like you, apparently).

Good school, though secondary fees is alot!

should i be worried if i haven't received this secondary even though I've received 15+ others?

"The Georgetown medical experience is centered in “cura personalis”-- care for the psychological (job of a therapist), spiritual (job of a priest), social (job of a social worker). as well as physical (DOCTOR!!!!) well being of the person." Come on, this just seems like fluff to me.

Well I'm glad I will never have to worry about you becoming one of my classmates. Georgetown has been doing this for years. They can tell who is being sincere and who isn't. That is why approx 40-50 percent of each year's class comes from the undergraduate campus. These individuals have bought in and lived the "cura personalis fluff" you describe for four years.

Tasi,

Nope it took me a while as well. You will see Georgetown is very SLOWWWWWWWWWWW when it comes to their applications and such.

I didn't get my acceptance after my interview for 1.5 to 2 months after.

Best of luck

Well I'm glad I will never have to worry about you becoming one of my classmates. Georgetown has been doing this for years. They can tell who is being sincere and who isn't. That is why approx 40-50 percent of each year's class comes from the undergraduate campus. These individuals have bought in and lived the "cura personalis fluff" you describe for four years.

I honestly want to to learn more, but the school does a poor job explaining exactly what it means. I was raised Catholic and went to a Jesuit undergrad and never heard of 'cura personalis' in my entire life until I read this school's mission statement. Can you give me some kind of explicit example of what exactly it is supposed to mean, or how you go out in the community and treat a whole person? Maybe Georgetown only selects so heavily from its undergrad because they are unable to convey to the rest of the population how you are supposed to live and act under this philosophy.

I am also curious why Georgetown's primary care ranking so low if it puts such a heavy emphasis on the whole person and treating underserved. Aren't these among the most vital roles of primary care doctors?

Last edited:
They begin interview invites in mid July, correct?

They begin interview invites in mid July, correct?

Yes, and the reality is a majority of those who get interviewed will be waitlisted unfortunately.

1 out of 13/14 get interviews

and 1 out of 3/4 of interviewees get accepted. The rest are either waitlisted or rejected.

If you are waitlisted and sure that Georgetown is where you want to go... write a letter discussing why you would give up your other acceptances and would go to Georgetown over these other institutions. Address the letter to the head of the committee and you most likely will get in. If I was correct about 1/4 of the Georgetown class was taken off the waitlist this past year and they all wrote letters.

Georgetown only accepts the students off the waitlist who have written letters expressing their continued interest. If you don't write a letter there is 100% of a chance you will not get in.

Hope all this "inside" info helps.

I honestly want to to learn more, but the school does a poor job explaining exactly what it means. I was raised Catholic and went to a Jesuit undergrad and never heard of 'cura personalis' in my entire life until I read this school's mission statement.

I never took Latin so I did not either until I applied.

I don't think you should try and frame your essays to fit in with cura personalis as your actions and activities that you have participated in undergrad etc will demonstrate if you indeed bought into the cura personalis ideal already.

Cura personalis has a very simple definition (we learned about it at SLU). Like most mission statement-like things, it's more than just a definition though. If you try to talk about it without having experience with it, you will look like an idiot. Don't bother with cura personalis if you know nothing about it beyond what you've read online.

Cura personalis has a very simple definition (we learned about it at SLU). Like most mission statement-like things, it's more than just a definition though. If you try to talk about it without having experience with it, you will look like an idiot. Don't bother with cura personalis if you know nothing about it beyond what you've read online.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Just ranting about letters of interest - decided it wasn't even worth posting.

Sorry to waste your electrons.

So you're suggesting not addressing a crucial piece of the mission of GW?

I feel like it's important to at least attempt to define it, and then continue to discuss how you feel your application fits with Cura Personalis.

A figure posted on last year's thread said about 80% of matriculant's secondaries mention Cura Personalis. If this figure is true, as well as what you're saying, that would mean 80% of matriculants are from a jesuit school.

So you're suggesting not addressing a crucial piece of the mission of GW?

I feel like it's important to at least attempt to define it, and then continue to discuss how you feel your application fits with Cura Personalis.

A figure posted on last year's thread said about 80% of matriculant's secondaries mention Cura Personalis. If this figure is true, as well as what you're saying, that would mean 80% of matriculants are from a jesuit school.

There is no need to "attempt" to define it. The definition is plain as day. I think that mentioning it briefly is fine, but trying to say that you want to attend GU because you "idenify with cura personalis" is unwise unless you have an intimate understanding and/or experiences with it. I didn't mention cura personalis, but I did talk about my undergraduate, it's jesuit mission, and how that affected who I am, why I chose the ECs I did, and how that makes me a great fit for GU and GU a great fit for me.

I'm not following how 80% of matriculants mentioning cura personalis means that 80% of matriculants are from a jesuit school.

I'm not following how 80% of matriculants mentioning cura personalis means that 80% of matriculants are from a jesuit school.

That only applies if you assume that only those who "understand" Cura Personalis (meaning they attended a jesuit institution) wrote about it. It's invalid any other way.

Wow. Sorry to say it but if you think the job of a physician is just fixing the physical problems then it sounds like your gonna have trouble applying to any medical school.

Wow. Sorry to say it but if you think the job of a physician is just fixing the physical problems then it sounds like your gonna have trouble applying to any medical school.

I did a bad job expressing what I mean. I don't think a doctor should ignore those things, but physicians are trained chiefly to treat disease. Because we are decent humans we have some extent of concern for all the unfortunate events that go on in a person's life, but for example most doctors are not as sufficiently trained to counsel someone spiritually like a priest, and I would feel inadequate in a position where I need to counsel a patient on matters of spirituality. I have no problems providing physical treatment, giving advice on lifestyle concerns, diet, etc. but some things are better left to the people best qualified for the job.

That only applies if you assume that only those who "understand" Cura Personalis (meaning they attended a jesuit institution) wrote about it. It's invalid any other way.

There is no need to "attempt" to define it. The definition is plain as day. I think that mentioning it briefly is fine, but trying to say that you want to attend GU because you "idenify with cura personalis" is unwise unless you have an intimate understanding and/or experiences with it. I didn't mention cura personalis, but I did talk about my undergraduate, it's jesuit mission, and how that affected who I am, why I chose the ECs I did, and how that makes me a great fit for GU and GU a great fit for me.

Let's cool it with the argumentative tone guys. No need to be prickly! Back to the subject of the thread, I submitted Wednesday. Anyone remember from last year's thread how long decisions take? The app site states at least six weeks.

I think it's possible to have had experience with the Jesuit tradition and/or cura personalis without having attended a Jesuit university. At the same time, someone who attends a Jesuit school doesn't necessarily have a good understanding of it. I wasn't necessarily involved heavily with the church, but I did complete a Theology minor and have a pretty good understanding of the "non-religious" aspect of the Jesuits.. if that even make sense.

I think I may have been unclear in my original post regarding cura personalis. I think it's fine for applicants to mention their interest in it and perhaps their reflection on what it means (beyond the definition). I don't think it's wise, however, for someone with no past experience with cura personalis/jesuits to claim that cura personalis is a huge part of their decision making process. To me, ADCOMs would immediately out that person for being full of crap and (depending on the rest of their application) throw them in the trash pile.

And if you take into account that about 7000 applicants complete the secondary, they are making close to $1,000,00!

I thought it was closer to 10k applicants? Or is that GWU?

I think I may have been unclear in my original post regarding cura personalis. I think it's fine for applicants to mention their interest in it and perhaps their reflection on what it means (beyond the definition). I don't think it's wise, however, for someone with no past experience with cura personalis/jesuits to claim that cura personalis is a huge part of their decision making process. To me, ADCOMs would immediately out that person for being full of crap and (depending on the rest of their application) throw them in the trash pile.

I absolutely agree

I absolutely agree

I disagree. Cura personalis is a critical part of their mission and it would make sense for them to select individuals who in some way identify with this principle. I have no Jesuit background but upon researching the concept of cura personalis online, I feel like it is something that would really make for a great medical education.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's true that most physicians are not trained to treat the non-physical factors causing disease BUT wouldn't it be great if more physicians were trained in that? Disregarding psychological and socioeconomic determinants of health are one of the key reasons for the disparity of health care in areas across the United States, in my opinion.

I disagree. Cura personalis is a critical part of their mission and it would make sense for them to select individuals who in some way identify with this principle. I have no Jesuit background but upon researching the concept of cura personalis online, I feel like it is something that would really make for a great medical education.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's true that most physicians are not trained to treat the non-physical factors causing disease BUT wouldn't it be great if more physicians were trained in that? Disregarding psychological and socioeconomic determinants of health are one of the key reasons for the disparity of health care in areas across the United States, in my opinion.

The point is that it would be foolish to make Cura Personalis out to be a major part of your life if you've never practiced it yourself. The "I completely agree" bit included this as well as a suggestion to elaborate, for those of us not very familiar with it, on Cura Personalis and how it can make us better physicians.

have all verified applicants received the secondary already? been verified here for almost a week and not a peep Gtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.