2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I hope that is the case

Members don't see this ad.

Interview! 3.3ugpa 3.8ggpa, 37
Anyone familiar with the area able to estimate how long it will take to get from Hempstead to La Guardia? If the interview day ends at 2:30 would I be safe scheduling a 6:30 flight? Was hoping to take LIRR but maybe I'll rent a car to make the flights work- anyone interviewing 10/22 and getting in 10/21 want to share a car rental?

Did you just get the email now?
I was wondering if their still sending them out tonight.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry these are surely going out in batches. i was complete before some of the kids and my invite was aroudn 6 pm whcih was after the other kids.. weirds. but keep positive!!

also no invite from einstein or boston or baylor or jefferson for me. kinda wack but. this whole process is a nutjob itself. i think these med schools need a flexer report on how to fix their admissions process. lolol.

dont worry these are surely going out in batches. i was complete before some of the kids and my invite was aroudn 6 pm whcih was after the other kids.. weirds. but keep positive!!

also no invite from einstein or boston or baylor or jefferson for me. kinda wack but. this whole process is a nutjob itself. i think these med schools need a flexer report on how to fix their admissions process. lolol.

:thumbup:

Anyone familiar with the area able to estimate how long it will take to get from Hempstead to La Guardia? If the interview day ends at 2:30 would I be safe scheduling a 6:30 flight? Was hoping to take LIRR but maybe I'll rent a car to make the flights work- anyone interviewing 10/22 and getting in 10/21 want to share a car rental?

I scheduled my flight home some time around 6:30. I think that should be more than enough time whether driving or taking public transportation.

1st Interview Invite!!!! Complete 8/7 actually. 3.73 cGPA/3.85 sGPA, 33Q, plus I emailed Mrs. Langsfeld after I met her at an event about why I was excited about Hofstra

If you leave at 2:30 you can get to LaGuardia in under 45 mins and you shouldn't get any traffic.

Interview Invite. =)

Complete on 7/23

Got the email this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today! Scheduled for October 31, a.k.a. Halloween! (I feel like an interview is not the best environment for a costume...)

Complete 7/15
OOS, s3.3, c3.6, 32S

Interview invite this afternoon. Complete 7/10, IS, 32R, 3.86/3.82. My interview is on October 31st too! It was the earliest date they had available. I'm dressing up as an LIJ physician.

Anyone have any idea what to expect in the interview? Is it the standard why medicine? or is it more of a getting to know you session?

Does anyone know what the results of Hofstra's 1st class was for Step I's? They took them this yr right??

Anyone have any idea what to expect in the interview? Is it the standard why medicine? or is it more of a getting to know you session?

You're not going to get any info on that, good sir. As an interviewee, you're not allowed to say anything about the interview.

It's MMI

Congrats btw!

Still waiting here...

Small class size of 60 Expected matriculated. Does that mean we have a lower chance if we get an interview at a school that accepts 200?

WOW... Thought I could take a couple days to speak to my family about when would be a good time to go and BAM, couldn't get an interview until November! I really love this school and hope it doesn't play out as a disadvantage. They don't make decisions until December though so I guess it is okay. Definitely not expected and I had to re-run the dates with my family :laugh:

I learned my lesson, book a date as soon as you get an invite.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is an automatic scholarship again this year?

Anyone interviewing October 3rd want to split a room at the Marriott?

Pumped or the 10/3 interview. I have a bud at Hofstra, so I'm crashing with him. Only school I've encountered so far that doesn't offer an Applicant Host program.

Interview invite this afternoon. Complete 7/10, IS, 32R, 3.86/3.82. My interview is on October 31st too! It was the earliest date they had available. I'm dressing up as an LIJ physician.
still waiting.. really want to interview here - love the small class! But seems like a 32Q is below average... anyone get an invite with my stats? 3.75cgpa 3.9sgpa...? I wasn't complete til about a week ago - only have one interview so far!

still waiting.. really want to interview here - love the small class! But seems like a 32Q is below average... anyone get an invite with my stats? 3.75cgpa 3.9sgpa...? I wasn't complete til about a week ago - only have one interview so far!

I got an interview with stats WAY below yours. I'm sure you'll be fine. Here's how it worked out for me.

Primary submitted 6/6/12
Secondary received 7/3/12
Secondary submitted 7/18/12
Interview invitation 8/15/12

Can anyone comment on their experiences at Hofstra for their first and second years. I was reading through last years thread and the current students comments, but was wondering if people can provide further perspectives.
Thanks!

MD/PhD interview invite. There go my Halloween plans. :)

MD/PhD interview invite. There go my Halloween plans. :)

MD/PhD here as well. Same day ! I received the interview invite this afternoon and feel tremendously pumped !!!!! I love East Coast so much lol.

By the way, do you know if we will start at Feinstein or at School of Medicine ? The emails were confusing. The first email said MD/PhD interview would start at Feinstein and end at School of Medicine, but the website and the second email (confirmation email) said interview would occur at School of Medicine. Feinstein and SOM are 10 minutes away from each other by car driving !

Last edited:
Besides, does anyone know if picture has to be on solid background like passport style ? Or can it be anything as long as it looks decent ?

Besides, does anyone know if picture has to be on solid background like passport style ? Or can it be anything as long as it looks decent ?
this was mine i cropped it a little tho bt i think it can b any non-distracting background it dsnt have 2 b solid
1345451868_devushki-12-460x287.jpg

this was mine i cropped it a little tho bt i think it can b any non-distracting background it dsnt have 2 b solid
1345451868_devushki-12-460x287.jpg

That's a third tier Carib quality photo at best. No boobs, no interview.

hi guys, i was hoping i could get your thoughts on one of the supplement questions. for the last question where they ask whether there is anything you would like to bring to their attention, I was going to write a paragraph on why i wanted to attend their school. I realize that this section is usually for people to explain educational gaps and any institutional disciplinary actions but I never like to leave things blank. Anyone think that's overkill?

hi guys, i was hoping i could get your thoughts on one of the supplement questions. for the last question where they ask whether there is anything you would like to bring to their attention, I was going to write a paragraph on why i wanted to attend their school. I realize that this section is usually for people to explain educational gaps and any institutional disciplinary actions but I never like to leave things blank. Anyone think that's overkill?
I wrote a few paragraphs on why specfically I wanted to go to Hofstra and I got an interview invite a week ago. I think it can help make you stand out.

I wrote about the special masters program I am currently attending. It seemed to be well received and I was told they will be expecting an update on my performance before they can make a decision to interview or not.

Interview Invite!

Secondary recieved: 8/21
Secondary submitted: 8/22
II: 8/27
That's one heck of a turnaround time! I'm flattered?

Interview scheduled for 11/18. This was the second earliest date available (first being 11/16). How are they so backed up already!?

Stats:
IS 3.47 cGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 36Q
So GPA is way below average for any MD schools while MCAT is high. Also, I didn't write anything for that optional question.

Last edited:
Interview Invite!

Complete 8/2

If you leave at 2:30 you can get to LaGuardia in under 45 mins and you shouldn't get any traffic.

Hofstra student weighing in here. I've lived on Long Island about 20 minutes from both LaGuardia/JFK my whole life. This is mostly accurate. LaGuardia is actually only about 25-35 minutes from the school, adjusting for stoplights and spot traffic makes 45 minutes reasonable. You should always consider that on Long Island, you can always hit an hour + of traffic out of nowhere, luckily there are approximately 120954384763 ways to get to LaGuardia so if you have a GPS/iphone with you in case you need a detour, budgeting an hour to get there is more than enough.

That being said, all costs being equal (which often they are not), I would go to JFK over LaGuardia. It's marginally closer to Hofstra, but more importantly, LaGuardia is a terrible airport. Don't hesitate to go there if it's cheaper (it's not dangerous or anything), but all other things being equal I would choose JFK any day.

Also, while it is true that you can go from JFK to Hempstead (or literally to a block away from my house) via train, it can be somewhat confusing if you are not accustomed to mass transit. You basically take the monorail (AirTrain) from the airport to Jamaica Station, which is the major hub of the Long Island Rail Road in Queens. From there you can get to any LIRR station (including Penn/Manhattan), including Hempstead. The cost is $5 for the monorail and $6-13 for the LIRR, depending on what time you travel. However the train is not directly next to campus, it's walkable during the day (~5 minutes by car) but I wouldn't walk through that part of Hempstead alone at night. Chances are your living arrangements will be further away and require transportation anyway.

Other area airports include Newark Liberty, which I would avoid as it is in New Jersey and significantly further away, and Long Island McArthur airport, which is a small airport only serviced by Southwest and is ~40+ minutes from the school.

I'm happy to offer longer-than-necessary answers to any other questions y'all might have about getting around long island or about LI in general. Good luck everyone :luck:

Hofstra student weighing in here. I've lived on Long Island about 20 minutes from both LaGuardia/JFK my whole life. This is mostly accurate. LaGuardia is actually only about 25-35 minutes from the school, adjusting for stoplights and spot traffic makes 45 minutes reasonable. You should always consider that on Long Island, you can always hit an hour + of traffic out of nowhere, luckily there are approximately 120954384763 ways to get to LaGuardia so if you have a GPS/iphone with you in case you need a detour, budgeting an hour to get there is more than enough.

That being said, all costs being equal (which often they are not), I would go to JFK over LaGuardia. It's marginally closer to Hofstra, but more importantly, LaGuardia is a terrible airport. Don't hesitate to go there if it's cheaper (it's not dangerous or anything), but all other things being equal I would choose JFK any day.

Also, while it is true that you can go from JFK to Hempstead (or literally to a block away from my house) via train, it can be somewhat confusing if you are not accustomed to mass transit. You basically take the monorail (AirTrain) from the airport to Jamaica Station, which is the major hub of the Long Island Rail Road in Queens. From there you can get to any LIRR station (including Penn/Manhattan), including Hempstead. The cost is $5 for the monorail and $6-13 for the LIRR, depending on what time you travel. However the train is not directly next to campus, it's walkable during the day (~5 minutes by car) but I wouldn't walk through that part of Hempstead alone at night. Chances are your living arrangements will be further away and require transportation anyway.

Other area airports include Newark Liberty, which I would avoid as it is in New Jersey and significantly further away, and Long Island McArthur airport, which is a small airport only serviced by Southwest and is ~40+ minutes from the school.

I'm happy to offer longer-than-necessary answers to any other questions y'all might have about getting around long island or about LI in general. Good luck everyone :luck:

Thanks for your help! I was wondering is it better to rent a car or to take mass transit??? I personally don't mind driving

Interview Invite!

Secondary recieved: 8/21
Secondary submitted: 8/22
II: 8/27
That's one heck of a turnaround time! I'm flattered?

Interview scheduled for 11/18. This was the second earliest date available (first being 11/16). How are they so backed up already!?

Stats:
IS 3.47 cGPA, 3.27 sGPA, 36Q
So GPA is way below average for any MD schools while MCAT is high. Also, I didn't write anything for that optional question.

wow they must really like you!

Interview Invite : 8/27
Secondary Submitted : 8/14

10/11 Interview date. I guess someone canceled their interview date because it was the only date available in October.

Interview Invite : 8/27
Secondary Submitted : 8/14

10/11 Interview date. I guess someone canceled their interview date because it was the only date available in October.

Is it easy to reset your interview and look if there is an earlier one? I'm scheduled for 11/14 and I want to make mine earlier

There might not be any... There was only one option for me in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.