2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the interview we just send an email back with our name, Amcas number, and location.. Then they will tell us when the interview is? Do we get to choose between options or do they just send us the date? Are they going to wait until they get my transcripts and everything? I want to do my interview soon but I don't know how to tell them.. Can I request a date when I'll be in indiana?

They'll send you another email with the date they schedule for you. They tend to frown upon rescheduling, but they will reschedule if it's necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have received interview invitations, do you think the committee has reviewed the letters of Rec?

No i don't think they have since they needed a form to be sent in (that was part of the supplementary materials) before we can schedule our interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok! So when will they send me a date for my interview? Will it be after they receive all of my forms and the official transcripts?

It said after forms 1-3 in the email for sure. Not sure about the other parts.

Interview. OOS 35mcat 3.2cGPA 3.4sGPA. They're definitely interested in something beyond the numbers.

cj8

Ok! So when will they send me a date for my interview? Will it be after they receive all of my forms and the official transcripts?

Shortly after. So early in the season, it might be just a few days while they schedule everyone. It won't take long. They just encourage you to have your LORs in before your interview date, usually giving four weeks' notice.

Anyone know if choosing a particular interview site will lead to a cheaper cost of interviewing for someone flying in from the east coast?

cj8

I would think Indianapolis would be more convenient for someone flying in. That's really the main airport in Indiana. Otherwise if you went to the northwest campus youd have to fly into maybe midway or ohare out in Chicago and find a way to get to the campus.

First rejection :( I am OOS with average stats though (3.6/32) so I'm not surprised

Good luck to everyone interviewing here

Any idea on what date(of verified amcas) they are up to? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
They are now verifying applications that were "Ready for Review" as of 7/2/2012.

Wait do you mean receipt of notification that they received the primary? Sorry I wasn't clearer lol

Wait do you mean receipt of notification that they received the primary? Sorry I wasn't clearer lol

That's okay; I missunderstood you. I don't know the answer to your question lol. I thought you were asking about what AMCAS was reviewing.

Nope not yet. All my documents are in though and checked off on the status page so hopefully sometime next week I'll hear something!

To all who have submitted updated transcripts or a picture, did you do it online or via US mail?

To all who have submitted updated transcripts or a picture, did you do it online or via US mail?

The supplemental materials email said everything had to be submitted by US mail, so I'm taking that to include the photo and transcripts.

Last edited:
Do any transcripts need to be sent in if your AMCAS courses are the most up-to-date classes you've taken? seems sort of redundant to do so ...

Do any transcripts need to be sent in if your AMCAS courses are the most up-to-date classes you've taken? seems sort of redundant to do so ...

The impression I got was that we just needed to send one in at the end of new semesters after this.

anyone feel like chancing me here?

OOS

3.28uG,
36/37 MCAT (estimated, fingers crossed!)
4.0 gGPA (MS Physiology, degree in progress)

Volunteering:
120 in emergency room for a community hospital
200 in urgent care center in a cancer hospital

TAed:
Animal Physiology Laboratory, a 4 credit upper level elective
Cellular Physiology, a 3 credit upper level elective

Shadowing:
Neuropathology: 10 months, 4 hours a week
Heart Failure Service at a Tertiary Care Hospital: 10 weeks, about 3-5 hours a week
Section Chief of Cardiology at the University Hospital where I am a graduate student.
Participated in my undergraduate institutions sponsored winter alumni shadowing program: I spent 4 really exciting days seeing all the cardio services at Cleveland Clinic, OH.

Gap year employment: 2 years research in brain-mapping/imaging at The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (no publications) :(

Graduate school (upon applying to medical school)
5 or 6 months (pending) graduate school research: genotype manipulation of labelled hematopoetic stem cells to induce differentiation of cardiac progenitor for grafting in animal models of acute ischemia

Started a cardiology club in undergrad 3 years ago - even though I've graduated the club is still going strong - my efforts were lasting. Will be involved in something similar to that this year, at the medical school where I am doing my MS in Physiology.

On the side: I am a classical spanish guitarist (not by profession) just for fun; I am self taught in a number of languages (the number will be 5 soon) which I already have had the chance to use working with patients; I am an avid swimmer and trying to work my speed up to semi-professional, but if I haven't gotten that fast by when I apply, cannot report that. Anyway, thats all I really have for extracurriculars - they're only a few but they take up the great majority of my free time...

Hope to hear from someone soon, good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

anyone feel like chancing me here?

OOS

3.28uG,
4.0 gGPA (MS Physiology, degree in progress)

Volunteering:
120 in emergency room for a community hospital
200 in urgent care center in a cancer hospital

TAed:
Animal Physiology Laboratory, a 4 credit upper level elective
Cellular Physiology, a 3 credit upper level elective

Shadowing:
Neuropathology: 10 months, 4 hours a week
Heart Failure Service at a Tertiary Care Hospital: 10 weeks, about 3-5 hours a week
Section Chief of Cardiology at the University Hospital where I am a graduate student.
Participated in my undergraduate institutions sponsored winter alumni shadowing program: I spent 4 really exciting days seeing all the cardio services at Cleveland Clinic, OH.

Gap year employment: 2 years research in brain-mapping/imaging at The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (no publications) :(

Graduate school (upon applying to medical school)
5 or 6 months (pending) graduate school research: genotype manipulation of labelled hematopoetic stem cells to induce differentiation of cardiac progenitor for grafting in animal models of acute ischemia

Started a cardiology club in undergrad 3 years ago - even though I've graduated the club is still going strong - my efforts were lasting. Will be involved in something similar to that this year, at the medical school where I am doing my MS in Physiology.

On the side: I am a classical spanish guitarist (not by profession) just for fun; I am self taught in a number of languages (the number will be 5 soon) which I already have had the chance to use working with patients; I am an avid swimmer and trying to work my speed up to semi-professional, but if I haven't gotten that fast by when I apply, cannot report that. Anyway, thats all I really have for extracurriculars - they're only a few but they take up the great majority of my free time...

Hope to hear from someone soon, good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

IU is very selective of OOS applicants, and from everything I've heard, unless you have STELLAR stats, if you're OOS you have very little chance at IU. A 3.28 uGPA puts you at a tremendous disadvantage, maybe your gGPA will redeem you, but who knows. Your extracurriculars looks good, but from the fact that you don't have your MCAT score back yet means that you are going to be a little late in the application cycle. Not trying to be the bearer of bad news here but you asked "chance me," so I'm just telling you what I've heard about IU and OOS applicants. Good luck though.

Was this based on your feeling after already have taken the test? Are you waiting for your scores? Because if not, a 36/37 is very wishful thinking. If you do get that score though, that will definitely give you a leg-up.

just got the supplemental app email. IU sent me the receipt notification email 7/13.

Got interview invite this morning. Curious thing is that I took July 14 mcat and to my knowledge, those scores haven't been released yet.

got my interview date today! we apparently have to respond within a certain number of days and i didn't get an email or anything. just a status update on the status page so i'd check that for sure if you haven't in a while.

got my interview date today! we apparently have to respond within a certain number of days and i didn't get an email or anything. just a status update on the status page so i'd check that for sure if you haven't in a while.

+1, 9/5 for me!

Also 9/5! Weird! Did yours give you a time or a campus yet? I feel like I can't reply to confirm without either of those.

Also 9/5! Weird! Did yours give you a time or a campus yet? I feel like I can't reply to confirm without either of those.

Good point, mine didn't include either. Maybe in my email I'll mention that I didn't see a time or campus. Was your campus preference Indianapolis?

Yeah hopefully we get the email soon then since our interview day is only like 3 weeks away and it says at 2 weeks out they'll cancel it if we don't confirm by then. And yep requested indy! Hopefully I get that since its the closest campus to me by far.

hey all,

what's the best way to express ties to the state? I grew up in Indy and went to public schools in the state throughout my time there. Just graduated from a top 3 UG institution and am now working in in another state (healthcare related).

will a letter do it? if yes, when should I have that arrive in the admissions office? I hope to have my primary in by 6/1/13.

+1 for 9/5!! If you're wondering, don't reply to the admissions office without your 'official' email. I replied this morning without the email and I got a response saying to reply until you get your 'official' email. I find its kind of odd to get the update on the status page but not have an email yet haha.

Anybody know about how many people are in a typical interview group for an interview day at Indianapolis?

Does anyone know any stats about early decision applicants (like how many apply/are interviewed/get accepted)?

+1 on 9/5!

At least 100. The info session is held in the Riley Auditorium, and it's usually pretty well packed.

100??! Holy smokes! That's crazy. That's not typical for most schools right? I don't know if so many people is a good thing or a bad thing...

100??! Holy smokes! That's crazy. That's not typical for most schools right? I don't know if so many people is a good thing or a bad thing...

If I remember correctly, they usually only have 9 or so interview days each cycle, which is why they say it's difficult to reschedule.

In-state Notre Dame sophomore here (go Irish!) so I have some time before I apply myself. Does anyone know how the selection process for Indy works? Are you selected for it based upon quality of your application or is it completely random if you get sent to Indy or not? I've heard conflicting things about it.

I got the official interview time email today. It did say "If we have not heard from you by 8/17/12 [aka today] the Admissions Office reserves the right to cancel your interview." So, make sure to check your email today! My actual interview time is 9:30 on 9/5, and it also lists time for a financial aid session and an information session.

I got the official interview time email today. It did say "If we have not heard from you by 8/17/12 [aka today] the Admissions Office reserves the right to cancel your interview." So, make sure to check your email today! My actual interview time is 9:30 on 9/5, and it also lists time for a financial aid session and an information session.

+1, although, my interview is at 3:45 pm (still have to check-in at 12:15), which is much better for me because now I can drive in that morning and not stay overnight in Indy the night before.

+1. Interview at 3:00. I talked to a student last year who said the number of people interviewing on his day was 35-40. I hope that's more accurate... much better than 100 or so.

The afternoon sessions might be lighter. The morning sessions are usually packed.

I want to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong here. When I got the secondary app, I sent them an e-mail with the campus interview request that said which campus we wanted to interview on. We were supposed to do that, right? I haven't heard back from them since, but my status page says that all my stuff has been turned in.

I want to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong here. When I got the secondary app, I sent them an e-mail with the campus interview request that said which campus we wanted to interview on. We were supposed to do that, right? I haven't heard back from them since, but my status page says that all my stuff has been turned in.

Yeah, you're supposed to do that. You should receive an interview invite sometime after all your stuff has been turned in. It took probably a week or so to get the official invite email after all the stuff was received. I had an interview date on my status page before I actually received the official interview invite email.

I got my interview date and my official invite, and only one of my forms has been marked as received. So I don't think that having all of your forms in has to do anything with when you get your interview info.

I'm in the same boat. I messaged them asking if I needed to do anything more, and all they said was:

"You have not been scheduled for an interview yet. When you are you will receive an invitation."

So maybe they're just doing them in some sort of order... Idk tho

Status
Not open for further replies.