2012-2013 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did any SDA's not get an interview yet from Loma Linda???

Members don't see this ad.

gah! ok i've been lurking for a long time, but these past few posts scared me =(

did EVERYONE get the email yesterday? my inbox has no LLU love! not in spam/trash either.

i did, however, get a different email yesterday confirming the receipt of a LOI i sent in a few days ago. it's only one line, though: "This is to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail."

i'm wondering (hoping?) if they just didn't want to send another email after that receipt message. would anyone mind pasting the content of yesterday's email here? thank you!
Dear ________,

Thank you for your interest in Loma Linda University. Describing the opportunities available to you at a faith-based academic healthcare complex brings us great joy. You will discover that Loma Linda University places the highest value on the integration of health, science, and Christian faith.
If you have not already done so, please visit llu.edu/explore to learn more details about each of our programs. In addition to program information, you will find out more about campus life, culture and our learning environment.

We look forward to communicating with you more in the future.

Blessings,
Rick Williams, PhD
Vice President, Enrollment Management & Student Services
Loma Linda University

*Please add this email to your address book or contacts list to ensure delivery of future messages.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm interviewing the same day. are you in the 10am or the 11am?

anyone interviewed that were complete end of aug, OOS and Non SDA? just curious x3

How long after complete are non-SDA's/OOS hearing for II?

I'm thinking i may be out of luck here. I didn't have a non-science letter, but was encouraged by a LLU grad/surgical resident to apply here anyhow.

i fail at message board usage. >.< i was talking to you (@jcaptian). now it's going to be extra awkward if we meet up...

lol I figured it was for me...just making sure :)

I'm in the 10am group!

Anyone know about how gays and lesbians are treated here? I know the above post says they are progressive, but how progressive. Lol. I'm gay and am applying to medical school in 2 years. I'm very active in a (Presbyterian) church, obviously very progressive church. hell I'm even an elder there and in a same sex relationship. So a pastor LOR wouldnt be an issue. My dad went to loma Linda (class of 95) so I had thought about applying there, but not sure how they would feel about gay people.
From their handbook:

Sexual Standards
Employees, administrators and trustees of Loma Linda University are expected, in their work, teaching, influence and example to uphold Christian sexual standards as held by the Seventh-day Adventist church. We believe that God’s ideal for sexuality is achieved when sexual expression is limited to a man and a woman who are husband and wife committed in life-long marriage. All expressions of premarital and extramarital relationship are to conform to this ideal of sexual purity. Behaviors that would suggest otherwise should be avoided. All other forms of sexual expression, whether heterosexual or homosexual, and promiscuity, sexual abuse and exploitation are contrary to the ideals of the University. (See Policy I-15 for non-discrimination and anti-harassment policy.)

Their non-discrimination policy mentions nothing about sexual orientation.

I wouldn't apply there unless you're ready to be secretive for 4 years and don't mention it anywhere in your app.

From their handbook:

Sexual Standards
Employees, administrators and trustees of Loma Linda University are expected, in their work, teaching, influence and example to uphold Christian sexual standards as held by the Seventh-day Adventist church. We believe that God's ideal for sexuality is achieved when sexual expression is limited to a man and a woman who are husband and wife committed in life-long marriage. All expressions of premarital and extramarital relationship are to conform to this ideal of sexual purity. Behaviors that would suggest otherwise should be avoided. All other forms of sexual expression, whether heterosexual or homosexual, and promiscuity, sexual abuse and exploitation are contrary to the ideals of the University. (See Policy I-15 for non-discrimination and anti-harassment policy.)

I wouldn't apply there unless you're ready to be secretive for 4 years and don't mention it anywhere in your app.

Wow where did you find the handbook?! It's probably somewhere super easy to find haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew from my interview...hopefully someone of this thread gets an invite now...good luck!

From their handbook:

Sexual Standards
Employees, administrators and trustees of Loma Linda University are expected, in their work, teaching, influence and example to uphold Christian sexual standards as held by the Seventh-day Adventist church. We believe that God's ideal for sexuality is achieved when sexual expression is limited to a man and a woman who are husband and wife committed in life-long marriage. All expressions of premarital and extramarital relationship are to conform to this ideal of sexual purity. Behaviors that would suggest otherwise should be avoided. All other forms of sexual expression, whether heterosexual or homosexual, and promiscuity, sexual abuse and exploitation are contrary to the ideals of the University. (See Policy I-15 for non-discrimination and anti-harassment policy.)

I wanted to share this verse:

Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Perhaps it will strike a chord with someone.

Hey guys,
I live in the east coast but will be in the west coast, close to Loma Linda, during the holidays. Do you guys think it is too pretentious to send in a "location update" email to the admissions committee in case they would want to offer me an interview while I am there? I've heard of people doing it before but I am not quite sure how admissions would take that..
Thank you!!

Hey guys,
I live in the east coast but will be in the west coast, close to Loma Linda, during the holidays. Do you guys think it is too pretentious to send in a "location update" email to the admissions committee in case they would want to offer me an interview while I am there? I've heard of people doing it before but I am not quite sure how admissions would take that..
Thank you!!
In the area emails are always a good idea. I've received two interviews doing that. GL

In the area emails are always a good idea. I've received two interviews doing that. GL

Thank you!! :)

So just an email saying that I'll be around during certain time in case they want to offer me an interview? or not even mention them offering an interview?

Sorry, I'm just always concerned with word choice. Thank you for your help!! :)

Thank you!! :)

So just an email saying that I'll be around during certain time in case they want to offer me an interview? or not even mention them offering an interview?

Sorry, I'm just always concerned with word choice. Thank you for your help!! :)
You're very welcome. Search "in the area email template" on SDN. That's what I used to guide mine. :) GL!!

Reading your posts and getting nervous. My husband applied to LLU this fall and just on Tuesday got his secondary app. We are behind it sounds like. Is this basically a rejection this late in the game? It sounds like everyone has interviews scheduled!

Reading your posts and getting nervous. My husband applied to LLU this fall and just on Tuesday got his secondary app. We are behind it sounds like. Is this basically a rejection this late in the game? It sounds like everyone has interviews scheduled!
No, it's not the end. But he's definitely at a disadvantage. Is he SDA?

does anyone know if they started reviewing apps for non-SDAs?

No he is not. He is Mormon.
Is that a large disadvantage also?
From what I've read so far, I think it depends on his stats. But I'd rather a current student answer that question so you're not misinformed. Anyone want to chime in? GL

Is the first round of acceptance calls going out this friday or next friday?

Is the first round of acceptance calls going out this friday or next friday?

According to what I have seen in the last two years' threads, the first batch of acceptances go out the last day of the quarter, which happens to fall on this Friday!

Not sure what order the ADCOM reviews interviewees though...so some of us might have to wait longer.

According to what I have seen in the last two years' threads, the first batch of acceptances go out the last day of the quarter, which happens to fall on this Friday!

Not sure what order the ADCOM reviews interviewees though...so some of us might have to wait longer.

The first round of acceptances usually goes out on the third Friday of December, unless the 1st Friday is December 1, so for this year it's next week! :) Good luck guys!!

The first round of acceptances usually goes out on the third Friday of December, unless the 1st Friday is December 1, so for this year it's next week! :) Good luck guys!!

lol ahh :-/ sigh oh well I stand corrected..another week of waiting. Thanks for the clarification man!

You're probably the most helpful person for all the LLUSM threads. Thanks! :)

jcaptian, when was your interview? Acceptance call on next friday would be the best Christmas present. haha

Agreed!

jcaptian, when was your interview? Acceptance call on next friday would be the best Christmas present. haha
I interviewed on 11/28, you? Not sure if that group will get their decision next week though. It would be a great Christmas present though!

jcaptian,

You had your interview fairly early! I hope your interview went well! I had mine last Thursday. I submitted my secondary sometime in mid November and everything was complete near the end of November. So I was pretty surprised to get an interview invite so early. I was expecting one in January at the earliest.

I really enjoyed my interview at LLU and am looking for more insight into the program. I know a few years back one of the med students contacted the LLU records department and was able to obtain and subsequently post the 2008 match list on these forums. Would any of the current students be willing to do the same for a more recent list? It would be greatly appreciated!

Also, how are the research opportunities at LLU? Are there plenty available in the various specialties (like ophtho and neuro) or are they limited? How early can you get involved?

My interviewer mentioned that grading is not done on a curve? Roughly how many people usually get honors, high pass, etc? Also, I get the vibe that Loma Linda maintains a comparatively low stress and cooperative environment. Is my perception on track?

Thank you!

I really enjoyed my interview at LLU and am looking for more insight into the program. I know a few years back one of the med students contacted the LLU records department and was able to obtain and subsequently post the 2008 match list on these forums. Would any of the current students be willing to do the same for a more recent list? It would be greatly appreciated!

Also, how are the research opportunities at LLU? Are there plenty available in the various specialties (like ophtho and neuro) or are they limited? How early can you get involved?

My interviewer mentioned that grading is not done on a curve? Roughly how many people usually get honors, high pass, etc? Also, I get the vibe that Loma Linda maintains a comparatively low stress and cooperative environment. Is my perception on track?

Thank you!

I'd like to echo the questions regarding the match list and research opportunities. Any answers would be very much appreciated :) Good luck to those interviewing and waiting to hear back!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse brevity and/or typos.

jcaptian,

You had your interview fairly early! I hope your interview went well! I had mine last Thursday. I submitted my secondary sometime in mid November and everything was complete near the end of November. So I was pretty surprised to get an interview invite so early. I was expecting one in January at the earliest.

The interview was great :) I have to say I really enjoyed the day as a whole. The atmosphere seems really cooperative and the students and faculty are really friendly. Weather was great as usual...really happy with it all. Hope your's went just as well

Are you SDA or Christian? That might explain some of the quick turnaround. The feel I get from the school is their secondary is a big part..they are looking for people who fit the mission. I guess we fit in pretty well :)

jcaptian,

Glad to hear your interview went smoothly. I felt mine was shorter than I had expected, but overall, it was good. Not too sure about the weather though haha, I heard it gets ridiculously hot during summer. I think smoggy and hot weather is one of the downsides of living in Loma Linda, but the school atmosphere was friendly.

I'm not a SDA or Christian. I may be wrong, but from what I heard, they don't really look at your secondary. They just look at it to see if you've done illicit drugs or have any records of misdemeanors/felonies. Again, that's what I heard from previous applicants.

Last edited:

Thank you!

For you second question, I actually asked my interviewer about research opportunities. There will be research opportunities available (I think as early as when the orientation starts). Not sure how diverse research opportunities are, but from my impression, there are plenty to choose if you're interested. I was told that most people usually spend th summer after their 1st year doing research or going abroad for missionary work.

Yeah, my interviewer also mentioned that the grading is not done on a curve. Maybe current LLUSM students can give us more insight on this matter, but honors/passing grades are achieved by reaching a certain percentage for each class. My interviewer said there shouldn't be too much competition among students, but I wouldn't be surprised either way... It's med school after all.

jcaptian,

Glad to hear your interview went smoothly. I felt mine was shorter than I had expected, but overall, it was good. Not too sure about the weather though haha, I heard it gets ridiculously hot during summer. I think smoggy and hot weather is one of the downsides of living in Loma Linda, but the school atmosphere was friendly.

I'm not a SDA or Christian. I may be wrong, but from what I heard, they don't really look at your secondary. They just look at it to see if you've done illicit drugs or have any misdemeanors/felonies. Again, that's what I heard from previous applicants.

Yea the interview day was pretty short. I was disappointed with the brevity of the tour...I ended up walking around with other interviewees doing our own tour lol

Well I've heard that generally for most of the year the weather is pretty good...apart from the hot summers and the smog (that's SoCal for you). Being from Florida I was shocked to see smog like that lol...wasn't quite ready for that...

Interesting! Well shows how much I know then...I don't know what they look at lol...adcoms in general will always be a mystery. This process can be pretty random at times.:confused:

Yea the interview day was pretty short. I was disappointed with the brevity of the tour...I ended up walking around with other interviewees doing our own tour lol

Well I've heard that generally for most of the year the weather is pretty good...apart from the hot summers and the smog (that's SoCal for you). Being from Florida I was shocked to see smog like that lol...wasn't quite ready for that...

Interesting! Well shows how much I know then...I don't know what they look at lol...adcoms in general will always be a mystery. This process can be pretty random at times.:confused:

I was a bit shocked as well, haha. I enjoy playing sports or go running/biking outdoor, but with all the smog, I think my options are pretty limited. I wish I had a chance to check out their gym (Drayson center I think?). Haha, maybe I won't even have time to exercise once med school starts, so it doesn't really matter.

Adcoms.. their patterns are inconsistent. I have given up trying to understand how their process works. Btw, Is Loma Linda your first choice?

I was a bit shocked as well, haha. I enjoy playing sports or go running/biking outdoor, but with all the smog, I think my options are pretty limited. I wish I had a chance to check out their gym (Drayson center I think?). Haha, maybe I won't even have time to exercise once med school starts, so it doesn't really matter.

Adcoms.. their patterns are inconsistent. I have given up trying to understand how their process works. Btw, Is Loma Linda your first choice?

I love my sports too. :) I'm excited for intramurals lol (hey..just because we are in med school doesn't mean we can't have fun...got to defeat those dent students :D ). Yea I wanted to see the Drayson center as well... but didn't get to see it either :( it seemed to be hidden behind the hills?! but this video makes it seem pretty nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5y0ll8qUk. Plenty of students exercise regularly so I'm sure its just a matter of getting used to the air lol...but hey how many places can you go skiing and surfing in the same day? :cool:

For real. I'm just grateful for receiving interviews from good schools where I could see myself attending. Loma Linda is definitely up there right now :love: I definitely could see myself being really happy there. How about you?

Butttttt....wayyyyy getting ahead of ourselves.....next Friday needs to come quickly! :oops:

lol ahh :-/ sigh oh well I stand corrected..another week of waiting. Thanks for the clarification man!

Haha, no problem, I got a ton of help from SDN when I was applying, so I've always tried to contribute back when I can! :)

Thank you!

I have a list that shows the average Step I score for each specialty that LLU students matched into. Not sure if that is the type of list you are looking for, but if anyone wants a copy, PM me an email address and I'll send one your way!

The research opportunities hear are actually pretty good, and diverse! Typically students start the summer after MS1. During MS1, they present to you all the research opportunities available, over the course of three days. I have seen most specialties represented, as well as plenty in the basic sciences if that is your thing. I actually didn't do research that summer, but everyone I talked to has positive things to say. If you want to continue the research past the summer, some students do. Though those guys must be superhuman to manage research and coursework haha.

Grading is not done on the curve. Points are points! Most classes require about a 68% to pass, 82% for high pass, and 89% for honors, though there is some variance in those numbers between the classes. I don't know if you've heard of this yet, but LLU does something called "integrated exams." Basically, you don't take one specific test for any class. Instead, testing takes place over three days, in three approximately 2 1/2 hour sessions. Each day, your test will pull questions from every class, and hit the shuffle button! So you never know what class is going to through a question at you and when. For example, your first question might be anatomy, but #2 is physiology, #3 is PDX, then #4 is another physiology question, and so on and so forth. The testing is all computer based, so it simulates Step I really well, and from what I've heard from upperclassmen, it does a really good job at preparing you for the Step's!

And as far as competition goes, I've yet to see anything cut throat as our class is really collaborative. We have a shared DropBox account that we use to share notes, electronic flash cards, handouts, etc. We also have a facebook group where we keep one another informed, ask questions, discuss unclear material, etc. It's actually really helpful, and I'm glad we all work together! Seriously, it may sound like I'm trying to sugar coat it, but I'm not exaggerating, this really is a team effort. The nice thing is that despite the mix of ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, upbringings, etc, we all share the common goal of becoming doctors, and that produces a type of camaraderie you rarely see.

Haha yea, that's actually something I really don't like about this area. I miss the seasons a lot, and some days the smog is pretty bad. I also hate traffic!!! I mostly just bike to class now, it's way faster then trying to make it through stoplights and find a hidden parking spot haha. And you know what drives me nuts? Hearing lawn mowers in the middle of the Christmas season! haha! I miss snow!!

I have a list that shows the average Step I score for each specialty that LLU students matched into. Not sure if that is the type of list you are looking for, but if anyone wants a copy, PM me an email address and I'll send one your way!

The research opportunities hear are actually pretty good, and diverse! Typically students start the summer after MS1. During MS1, they present to you all the research opportunities available, over the course of three days. I have seen most specialties represented, as well as plenty in the basic sciences if that is your thing. I actually didn't do research that summer, but everyone I talked to has positive things to say. If you want to continue the research past the summer, some students do. Though those guys must be superhuman to manage research and coursework haha.

Grading is not done on the curve. Points are points! Most classes require about a 68% to pass, 82% for high pass, and 89% for honors, though there is some variance in those numbers between the classes. I don't know if you've heard of this yet, but LLU does something called "integrated exams." Basically, you don't take one specific test for any class. Instead, testing takes place over three days, in three approximately 2 1/2 hour sessions. Each day, your test will pull questions from every class, and hit the shuffle button! So you never know what class is going to through a question at you and when. For example, your first question might be anatomy, but #2 is physiology, #3 is PDX, then #4 is another physiology question, and so on and so forth. The testing is all computer based, so it simulates Step I really well, and from what I've heard from upperclassmen, it does a really good job at preparing you for the Step's!

And as far as competition goes, I've yet to see anything cut throat as our class is really collaborative. We have a shared DropBox account that we use to share notes, electronic flash cards, handouts, etc. We also have a facebook group where we keep one another informed, ask questions, discuss unclear material, etc. It's actually really helpful, and I'm glad we all work together! Seriously, it may sound like I'm trying to sugar coat it, but I'm not exaggerating, this really is a team effort. The nice thing is that despite the mix of ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, upbringings, etc, we all share the common goal of becoming doctors, and that produces a type of camaraderie you rarely see.
My tour guide tried to explain some of these nuances in the curriculum but I didn't quite understand. Thanks for the clarification! (Again lol...dropping that knowledge :thumbup: )

Haha yea, that's actually something I really don't like about this area. I miss the seasons a lot, and some days the smog is pretty bad. I also hate traffic!!! I mostly just bike to class now, it's way faster then trying to make it through stoplights and find a hidden parking spot haha. And you know what drives me nuts? Hearing lawn mowers in the middle of the Christmas season! haha! I miss snow!!

Well...now that you've pointed out things that you DON'T like about the Loma Linda area ...is there anything you like???...any positives??? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.