2012-2013 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

1st

good luck to everyone applying this cycle! hope we all make it :)

Good Luck! As an incoming L1, I can say it is a very long process but never give up hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Texas and am a reapplicant. Last year I only applied to Texas schools and I'm very interested in applying to LSU New Orleans and Shreveport. I know nothing about these schools! I've tried reading their websites for certain things and haven't found the answers I was hoping for. Is there anything special I need to do to apply to LSU since I'm not from Texas? I know almost everything about the pre-med process except I'm clueless about applying out of state! Any tips? Advice about LSU? I'd love to hear anything from anyone!

I am from Texas and am a reapplicant. Last year I only applied to Texas schools and I'm very interested in applying to LSU New Orleans and Shreveport. I know nothing about these schools! I've tried reading their websites for certain things and haven't found the answers I was hoping for. Is there anything special I need to do to apply to LSU since I'm not from Texas? I know almost everything about the pre-med process except I'm clueless about applying out of state! Any tips? Advice about LSU? I'd love to hear anything from anyone!

New Orleans accepts very few out of state students and Shreveport accepts none unless you are an MD/PhD student.

Hi Everyone, just wanted to wish everyone good luck on this years upcoming cycle, I also will be applying here, however I am still studying for my MCAT at the end of July. Does anyone have any comments about taking the July MCAT pertaining towards the application process?

New Orleans accepts very few out of state students and Shreveport accepts none unless you are an MD/PhD student.

I think NO is taking more out of state now, upwards of 40. I don't know about Shreveport though.

Wishing everybody goodluck, I am applying to LSU NO this cycle as well. Submitting my AMCAS in about a week!

NB: Shreveport does take applications from OOS students for regular MD if they are the child of an alumnus or alumna of the med school! Not sure how many people that applies to, but it's worth pointing out, just in case!

I think NO is taking more out of state now, upwards of 40. I don't know about Shreveport though.

I agree w/ this. I think Shreveport still follow the rules of "must be a child of alumnus".

Members don't see this ad :)
This place is particularly mean to qualified people that apply late, so my advice to any of you guys that are applying this year is to : SUBMIT UR APP NAOOOO.

Can some one that has applied previously to LSU-NO post the secondary essay prompt please!!

Can some one that has applied previously to LSU-NO post the secondary essay prompt please!!

I am not sure there is one. I remember there being an optional essay on either the NO or Shreveport app, but I don't know anyone who did it.

Copied directly from the secondary email:

If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school.

Copied directly from the secondary email:

If you wish, you may attach a letter of reasonable length which contains comments that you feel will enable the Admissions Committee to better assess your qualifications for medical school.

Are y'all saying you just gave them the $50 secondary fee and that's it?

Are y'all saying you just gave them the $50 secondary fee and that's it?

there are some other forms you have to send but they are really short and can be done in 1 day.

there are some other forms you have to send but they are really short and can be done in 1 day.

so it's not one of those things that's "optional", but they still expect you to do?

so it's not one of those things that's "optional", but they still expect you to do?

Nope definitely not. The only people who I've heard of doing are those who want to take the time to explain bad grades, withdrawals, other issues, etc, while trying to put a positive light on it.

I don't know anyone who did it. I didn't even do it, and I am a non-trad with plenty to explain

I tried to bring out my uniqueness that are otherwise not mentioned. I think it could not hurt to spend ~1 hour to show your enthusiasm towards the school and explain yourself more thoroughly by using the opportunity.

For out of state, I'm assuming it's like UAMS (I'm an Arkansas resident), where they might give preference to those who have stronger ties to the state? I'm currently in NOLA though, so I was debating applying here...

If I submitted a letter saying that even though I'm an Ohio resident and have no ties to Louisiana I'm attracted to nola because I'd like to work with the large undeserved population in the area, how would that go down? I'd probably also mention that my spouse is a pediatrician and she'd like to work with the undeserved too. Plus we'd be paying taxes there from the get go, though I'd have to research when we'd get in state status from her working.

Would that sort of thing help? That's pretty much it. Probably apply to Tulane too but they are expensive.

I'm not involved in admissions, but the pool of OOS students is up to 40. Since they're not filling a quota, I assume they maintain their normal preference for in staters.

dmf - I would assume so, if they believed it. If you have a history of ECs that supports that desire, great. If not, I'm not sure how you'd sell it and not come off as pandering.

Again, these are just my impressions, nothing firm from admissions

Just received the secondary email!

Hmm. Don't know what thats about then.

My secondary is ready to go, but that damn selective services website is undergoing maintains until FRIDAY!! wtf

any ideas?

On the secondary for LSU-NO, do they ask you to report if you have ever been arrested even if the charges have been expunged?

Got my secondary last week! In-state; still unverified though.

My question is about the pre-req grades section. I tested out of my first semester physics lecture, so I obviously don't have a grade for that. I was planning on placing an "X" in that blank, but I wasn't sure if that'd be the correct move. Just wondering if anyone else may have run across this situation or heard of other applicants who have and what they did.

Here's a question. Based on past threads and friends' experiences, it seems that Shreveport and New Orleans, though their stats aren't incredibly different, seem to not have as much overlap in terms of who they accept as I would have thought. For instance, a lot of people who get into NOLA get waitlisted to Shreveport, though by the numbers, New Orleans would seem to be a more "competitive" school (as in more applicants, though there are more spots in NOLA as well). Is this yield protection, or is there a big difference in the mission/personality of the two schools? Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Still no secondary here... verified 6/5.

Here's a question. Based on past threads and friends' experiences, it seems that Shreveport and New Orleans, though their stats aren't incredibly different, seem to not have as much overlap in terms of who they accept as I would have thought. For instance, a lot of people who get into NOLA get waitlisted to Shreveport, though by the numbers, New Orleans would seem to be a more "competitive" school (as in more applicants, though there are more spots in NOLA as well). Is this yield protection, or is there a big difference in the mission/personality of the two schools? Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I don't know about a lot of NO acceptees getting waitlisted at Shreveport, but you might be onto something with yield protection. I've heard Shreveport takes more kindly to those with high stats who also show a serious interest in their school.
I also think New Orleans has more of an initially wide appeal because of the city and newer facilities. Perhaps LA applicants who are super competitive might apply only to NO, and then decline acceptance to go out of state? So then the stats for NO and Shreve level out.
In the end, though, it comes down to personal preference. I have two friends who were accepted into both schools & chose Shreveport; I'm not sure about one's reasons, but the other (who was 100% in the tank for N.O. at the beginning of the cycle) fell in love with Shreveport after the interview and preferred the smaller size and systems-based curriculum. (Both of which are reasons I think I'd choose NOLA instead, but I guess you never know this early.)

On the secondary, there is a blank for 1st and 2nd semester Chemistry Lab. However, I only took one semester of lab to fulfill this requirement, as it was a 2 hour lab (for lsu students, Chem 1212 and Chem 2364). How should the 2nd semester be noted? Thanks!

On the secondary, there is a blank for 1st and 2nd semester Chemistry Lab. However, I only took one semester of lab to fulfill this requirement, as it was a 2 hour lab (for lsu students, Chem 1212 and Chem 2364). How should the 2nd semester be noted? Thanks!

I just put the same grade down for both blanks, since I think they assume each lab blank is a 1-hour credit. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, but if there's confusion they can just look at your transcript. It's LSU med school, anyway, so I'm sure they're very familiar with how LSU's labs work.

Got my secondary last week! In-state; still unverified though.

My question is about the pre-req grades section. I tested out of my first semester physics lecture, so I obviously don't have a grade for that. I was planning on placing an "X" in that blank, but I wasn't sure if that'd be the correct move. Just wondering if anyone else may have run across this situation or heard of other applicants who have and what they did.

I called and ask. Put down how you got the credit. Like if it was from AP, put AP.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had any trouble with the format of the secondaries pdf. I printed it out and everything is a lil skewed or the sizing of some stuff is wayy too small. I tried on chrome, firefox, IE, on two different computers. Same problem.

Last edited:
Unverified, OOS, got my secondary last week and put it in the mail as of yesterday.

I called and ask. Put down how you got the credit. Like if it was from AP, put AP.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had any trouble with the format of the secondaries pdf. I printed it out and everything is a lil skewed or the sizing of some stuff is wayy too small. I tried on chrome, firefox, IE, on two different computers. Same problem.

I had the same problem last year! My secondary looked oddly formatted when I turned it in, but I got an interview.

So is anyone else planning on writing something as part of the secondary? I don't really have anything like bad grades etc. to explain... I was just thinking about a small paragraph a little less formal than my PS... Any suggestions or thoughts?

Anyone doing the secondary without invitation? Never got it.

Hey everyone,

If you are OOS applicant can you still apply to regular MD program for LSU new orleans or do you have to be an MD/PHd applicant?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

If you are OOS applicant can you still apply to regular MD program for LSU new orleans or do you have to be an MD/PHd applicant?

Thanks!

You can apply for regular MD. There are 40 spots available for OOS I believe.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.